[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
“Vinyl” Showrunner Canned, “Westworld” Derailed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: Vinyl.jpg (38 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Vinyl.jpg
38 KB, 480x360
Sounds like HBO is turning into AMC, shitcanning those who won’t follow the party line and like AMC, it seems like the party line is to cut costs no matter how this cheapens the quality of show, despite HBO’s $2 BILLION in yearly profits…

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/terence-winter-vinyl-quit-leaving-hbo-1201749342/

Terence Winter is departing HBO’s rock ‘n’ roll drama “Vinyl,”Variety has confirmed. The showrunner, exec producer and co-creator has been let go over creative differences.

Scott Z. Burns (“The Bourne Ultimatum”) has been named showrunner and exec producer, replacing Winter. Max Borenstein (“Godzilla,” “Minority Report”) has also joined the series as exec producer.

“As we head into the second season of ‘Vinyl,’ we have decidedit is an appropriate time to make a change in the creative direction of the show,” HBO said in a statement. “We have enjoyed a longtime partnership with TerryWinter at HBO on projects from ‘The Sopranos’ to ‘Boardwalk Empire’ to ‘Vinyl,’ and we look forward to our next collaboration with him. We are pleased to welcome Scott Z. Burns, executive producer and showrunner, and Max Borenstein, executive producer, as the new team helming the show.”

cont.
>>
File: Westworld-HBO.jpg (58 KB, 1023x653) Image search: [Google]
Westworld-HBO.jpg
58 KB, 1023x653
>>68031965

Winter co-created “Vinyl,” which stars Olivia Wilde and Bobby Cannavale, withMick Jagger, Martin Scorsese and Rich Cohen.

The shakeup comes as a surprise, as Winter has a long-standing relationship with HBO. He created “Boardwalk Empire,” running the show for all five seasons, and was a writer and rose to exec producer on thepremium cabler’s iconic “The Sopranos.”Winter also has a long-standing relationship with Scorsese. Aside from working together on “Boardwalk Empire” at HBO, the duocollaborated onLeonardo DiCaprio’s “The Wolf of Wall Street,” for which Winter penned the screenplay and was nominated for an Oscar.

For HBO, the shakeup is one of many behind-the-scenes happenings lately. Winter’s exit follows a major redevelopment for the cabler’s “Lewis & Clark” miniseries, and production shutting down for the highly anticipated “Westworld.”

“Vinyl,” which landed an early Season 2 renewal, has struggled in ratings through its first run, bringing in between a half million viewers andits opening high of764,000 per episode. The 10-episode first season wraps on April 17 with an episodewrittenby Winter.

FIN
>>
>>68031965
funny, i came on just to post this but you beat me to it.

my reaction: fuuuuuck! Winter got fired!

i think after the initial pilot misstep, the show has found its groove since the third episode on and its been a fun ride since. it's rare that Scorsese misfires, but that's what happened here. the pilot was a muddled way to start the season and i don't think casual viewers stuck around for any more episodes, if they even finished the nearly 2-hour first episode. i hope Winter gets another show soon since his vision for mature television is always worth tuning in for. maybe he can team up with David Milch (another ailing showrunner) on a project? that would be a dream.
>>
>>68032154
>my reaction: fuuuuuck! Winter got fired!

I'm thinking the "creative differences" are due to HBO trying to do the series on the cheap and not pay the royalties for actual 1970s music, which I think hurts the show, as viewers expect to hear Led Zeppelin and other bands from the period, (as in other Scorsese movies) not faux 70s tunes by hired musicians so HBO can save a buck.
>>
>>68031965
i guess all the haters are off the board. the news is kinda sad. i doubt the new showrunners can rekindle interest in the show. such a great concept gone done the drain.
>>
>>68032409
oh absolutely. the show must be as equally pricey as Boardwalk given the talent and music. so now we'll probably get a lesser production but with tighter writing. that's my hope. i also hope they do not get rid of the musical interludes as they have been a highlight of the show. especially the Buddy Holly one.
>>
There is already a thread about this. Use the catalog.
>>
File: westworld ed harris.jpg (82 KB, 1000x675) Image search: [Google]
westworld ed harris.jpg
82 KB, 1000x675
>>68031988
> Winter co-created “Vinyl” with Mick Jagger, Martin Scorsese and Rich Cohen.

Sure is jewey to force out the guy who created the show, as I’m guessing that Mick Jagger and Scorsese came in afterward just to give it some weight and convince HBO to do the series.

But I’m particularly worried about Westworld getting fucked up and delayed, as I was looking forward to that show and I’d bet it’s because shekel-pinching HBO doesn’t want to pay for the SFX.
>>
>>68032605
>so now we'll probably get a lesser production but with tighter writing.

Why would you expect that?
>>
>>68032799
>There is already a thread about this. Use the catalog.

Oops, I didn’t see it. But in my defense, OP didn’t use an easily recognizable pic to start off the thread, so I overlooked it.

>>68024463
>>
>>68032891
i expect a slashed budget as a cost saving measure, which means they won't be able to hire topnotch production teams and will focus on the writing to keep things on the cheap. kind of what The Walking Dead did on the second season. basically, i don't see the business sense in doubling down on Vinyl after it shit the bed with the viewers.
>>
>>68033091

I'm bailing to the existing thread I overlooked ^
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.