[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>>67936699 >>67942189 I don't think much actual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: beforeocean.jpg (37 KB, 655x446) Image search: [Google]
beforeocean.jpg
37 KB, 655x446
>>67936699
>>67942189
I don't think much actual shilling happens here, but the board is clearly much, much, much worse than it used to be (I've been on here since 2011), and it has probably been going downhill since some time before I started lurking.

The main issue I have is that there's very little variety in threads now compared to how it used to be. Three or four movies and a handful of TV shows, maybe five or something, all contemporary, absolutely dominate the discourse.

An absurd amount of threads are about BvS, Suicide Squad, Civil War, the Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, or fucking Star Wars...

Honestly, waifu threads and meme posts are irritating, but they've always been around in pretty much equal measure to the present. What's much harder to take is the crippling monotony of seeing the same shit discussed again and again, with nearly nothing new said.

Also, it's obvious that /pol/ has a much stronger influence on this board than it used to. There used to be some racists here, but they wouldn't use the /pol/ terminology and have such juvenile fears. I see a ton of threads these days complaining about SJW shit, and while I broadly agree with the sentiment (if not its intensity), I don't feel the need to dissect stupid political behavior of Hollywood types in detail on /tv/. I would much rather discuss actual movies and television.

If you just browse 4chandata, you can see that there are WAY more ITT threads now than there used to be (a thread I see right now, for example: 'ITT: Movies that will be cancelled'), and those have never been good for promoting discussion. Another thread I see: 'Will DC ever recover from this?'. Why do people still feel like discussing this shit? Check the thread right now, and you'll see it's all the same shit you've heard a million times being repeated again and again. (cont...)
>>
>>67945048
There used to be many more threads formulated like "I just saw X, what did you guys think of it?", or "what movie did you last watch, and was it good?". Now, only a handful of threads like that are ever around, and they get maybe a dozen replies, at most. I see many more threads like: "What movie would you recommend to someone who likes Y?". Again, that's not how you have a discussion, that's just asking some strangers to guess what kind of shit you're going to like. OK I'm mostly done with this waste of time rant, but I'm going to use this opportunity to complain about some random shit I'm seeing. 1. A picture of Charlie Cox from Daredevil, dressed as Matt Murdock, with the question "Is he balding?". Why? Why would anyone make a post like this? Do you really think this is going to result in anything but some vapid nonsense? How is this question related to the board topic in any way? 2. A post about Suicide Squad reshoots. Have we not talked about this enough? Is there really anything more to say? A solid quarter of the comments are 'JUST's or some variation. 3. A picture of Thanos, with the question "What's his problem?". Fuck whoever made this post, seriously, and fuck everyone who replied.

Note: Pic is highly related, I hope you understand.
>>
>>67945048
We need to make Hiroyuki manage better. It's like he doesn't care that low IQ scum is invading /tv/ like savage barbarians from ancient times and killing every trace of good taste they found and turning the place into unusable normalfag central.

We have to go back. We need to unfuck /tv/'s shit before its too late. Or we'll become /v/: tv and film related version the board.

Establish the reign of kino. Death to the disciples of videogame.
>>
>>67945048
There needs to be more condensation of thread topics. i.e. keep generals for newly-released films and contain discussion to them. Having a ton of BvS threads right around its release is perfectly acceptable, but not 2 weeks after the film is out, then it starts to become board-clogging cancer. Same goes for every newly released big budget feature that basically overtakes the entire board.

I know generals themselves may be cancer, but it's the only way to maintain any sort of evenness of content on the board without outright splitting it into /film/ and /tv/.
>>
>>67945370
I agree with this, but I think a) it would take a lot of work, and b) how much stuff, percentage-wise, would even be left behind? I think there's just been a culture shift caused by greater traffic that's probably irrevocable.

I'm honestly mostly just curious to find out *why* people are making these kinds of threads.

Think of shit like:
"Name a better/worse/more [blank] X than Y"
"tfw you/I will never [blank]"
"Just got [blank], what should I expect?"
">stupid statement", with accompanying "really?" face
(Image of/related to flop) "JUST"
And I already mentioned the ITT's, but god damn, they are everywhere and they suck so much.

I've come to believe that nobody can be this consistently unoriginal on purpose. I think the slime has seeped into most posters' heads, and this is the only way they know how to talk about media anymore.
>>
>>67945717
Yes, I completely agree. Every big new feature and TV show needs a general, and it's shocking the mods haven't realized this.
I have no problem at all with the Dr. Who fans on this board, who have been around forever, because when they want to talk about that shit, they go to fucking /who/. Why can't Walking Dead people do the same? I mean, Jesus, I'm looking at the American Crime Story thread right now, and I see no discussion of it elsewhere.

I guess it's pretty obvious when I consider it... If it's mostly normies watching a show, there are going to be way more shitty posts related to it.
>>
>>67945048
>An absurd amount of threads are about BvS, Suicide Squad, Civil War, the Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, or fucking Star Wars...

I think you need to understand that these are just what's popular right now.
>>
>>>/qa/486474
>>
>>67945922
Of course I understand that, dude. It's obvious you haven't been here that long, because the difference in volume is astounding and immediately recognizable.
Go on 4chandata or any /tv/ archive you can find and look at the posts from the summer of 2014. Compared to now, and just objectively, there are pretty few posts about The Winter Soldier, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Days of Future Past, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Transformers, all of which came out at that time.

Seriously, if you go and look, you'll understand my point.
>>
Mods should just copy everything russian 2ch did
>two boards: for movies and for tv series
>movie board has a few stickies: request / find thread, what are you watching right now, and the board has generals (DC, Marvel, Star Wars etc)
>tv board has a request thread sticky and redirection to the generals
honestly, literally anything is better than the current state of things, might as well experiment.
>>
>>67945980
Thanks
>>
>>67945370
memetic buzzwords like kino only attract more of them
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.