[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me some tips to perform an analysis of a film
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: B31.jpg (226 KB, 1900x1188) Image search: [Google]
B31.jpg
226 KB, 1900x1188
It is for a class, videos and webs can help too
>>
if you need tips you aren't going to do it justice

what's the film? please don't tell me its pic related..
>>
>>72118185
I was thinking in "frequently asked questions about time travel" but it could be any movie
>>
do you not know how to analyze a film in a fucking film analysis class?
>>
>>72118157
Watch the film four or five times until you understand the plot, characters and motivations. Then rewatch and look for hidden elements like foreshadowing and camera positioning. Then finally begin you're own analysis, give your interpretation with examples and clues.
>>
>>72118307
It is an elective course, i don't have any fucking idea of this shit but i've seen a lot of movies, I thought that will be easy
>>
>>72118341
Thanks bro, I'll keep that in mind
>>
>>72118157
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd3p0PUUklE
>>
>>72118380
what kind of course? I can give you some tips.
>>
>>72118157
Just identify the genre and compare that film with the best film of the genre.
Also evaluate the technical elements, it'll give some extra points.
>>
>>72118157
remember that identifying 'themes' is for peasants, look in depth at potential influences, historical, literature influences and key concerns and motifs, repetition of important symbols or dialogue etc. You could read any number of guides on how to analyse poetry or a novel then and fold in analyses of technical elements, then you'll be set
>>
>>72118341
>Watch the film four or five times

wtf I hate film now
>>
File: film-analysis.png (128 KB, 466x664) Image search: [Google]
film-analysis.png
128 KB, 466x664
>>
Compare everything to an allegory in a Dostoyevski novel.
>>
File: check.png (57 KB, 300x177) Image search: [Google]
check.png
57 KB, 300x177
>>72118157
>Give me some tips
How about I give you some trips instead?
>>
>>72121488
witnessed
>>
>>72118341
>Watch the film four or five times
>Then rewatch
kek
>>
>>72121488
WITNESSED
>>
>>72118157
Make shit up like every teacher in the history of ever does when teaching literature.
>>
>>72118157
>stand at the front of the class, legs spread wide, with your thumbs looped through your belt
>make some introductory remarks about the film's production - be sure to describe in detail its 'liberal shill' marketing campaign, and point out all the actors which were diddled by the shrivelled cock of hollywood's jewish overlords
>talk about the lighting and describe it as being 'like pottery'
>cunny appreciation
>feet appreciation
>cunny feet appreciation
>rant about forced diversity and shoehorned ethnic characters (dindu nuffin, poo in loo etc etc)
>conclude with an in-depth discussion of Huey Lewis and the News
>>
>>72118157

Google what "experts" have said about it and plagiarize that shit.
>>
First, understand the film on a basic entertainment/story level. Every line has a purpose. Every shot has a purpose. Understand the character arcs. When does the character have to make a choice that reveals something about his character? What does this character want? Does he get what he wants? Does he have to sacrifice or change anything to get it?

After understanding each of the characters, broadly identify themes about them and the story. Try to find thematic connections between characters. Does one character do something the opposite of another, and they end up with different endings? Maybe they try different things but end up in a similar path.

The point is, usually, every character and every scene is working towards realizing the director's theme/idea/message/feeling. Once you discover that, you can find it everywhere.
>>
If it's a well known "classic" from more than 30 years ago, then it undoubtedly has connections to the social/politcal climate when it was made, and dabbles in philosophy, and essentially you have to take a couple history classes and read the Bible five times before you can get it.

And it's always probably a reference to the Bible. Always.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.