[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the great American movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 182x277) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 182x277
What's the great American movie?
>>
>Citizen Kane
>The Searchers
>The Godfather
>Casablanca
>The Treasure of Sierra Madre

One of them I'd say
>>
Annie hall
>>
File: 1468366921266.jpg (177 KB, 1200x1688) Image search: [Google]
1468366921266.jpg
177 KB, 1200x1688
>>72111894
Dawn of Justice

>Snyder’s Batman and Superman each embody a manifestation of American self-consciousness in the 21st century. In Batman we see our obsession with fear; an overconfidence in the power of striking fear as a deterrent along with the persistent fear of the threat of the other. In this movie as well as in the comics, Batman’s “cautiousness” borders on paranoid fear as he keeps a contingency plan on Superman and the other members of the Justice League because trust in the goodness of others is a sucker bet. Snyder’s Superman raises the questions of the morality of our worship of unfettered power. Superman’s cultural mythos has always coincided with the belief that such raw power exercised in the pursuit of justice is good. Batman v Superman asks us to consider the Man of Steel as a “weapon of mass destruction” whose intervention, even if benevolent in its intentions, creates destructive after effects.
>>
>>72111943
What's so great about the searchers? I'm a young man and I understand angst and soul searching on some level but it seems like just an above average western with fully fleshed out charecters to me
>>
>>72111969

I would think this was funnier if it wasn't 99% of the board along with Ghostbusters whining. Being the one in a hundred posters that doesn't respond with a shit post is now the most original and clever thing you can do on /tv/
>>
>>72112025
This. Best performance of Wayne's career, but every other character besides him and the Indian chief is a terrible, both as characters and as actors.
>>
>>72112041
I thinking that's how you know you've outgrown the place. I think it's always been that way in one form or another.
>>
I'd have to say Citizen Kane. Not only is it technically marvelous, it also has distinctly American themes that qualify it for this title as opposed to something like The Godfather, which at the end of the day is just a great mob picture.
>>
>>72112405

Not really. You used to be able to have discussions between the memes. Now it's all /pol/ leak and shit posts
>>
>>72112025
I guess you have to take into account that it was made in the mid 50's when most pop culture was still basking in that post ww2 glow. Then John Ford comes along and makes some bitter ass western about racism and the brutality of native americans. It loses it's intended anger today because we are all super desensitized
>>
>>72112469
but anon

you are the shitposter
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.