[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Witch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (80 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
80 KB, 720x1080
Hey /tv/

Im curious how you guys liked or disliked this movie. Also wtf does it mean?
>>
File: 1460579355122.jpg (51 KB, 400x505) Image search: [Google]
1460579355122.jpg
51 KB, 400x505
>>72111372
>tfw there was no literal witch
>the witch was Thomasin's other persona
>she suffers from multiple personality disorder in a time when men and woman feared everything, and the devil was literally around the corner
>the entire farm was riddled with ergot fungus, which causes hallucinations in people who eat it
>evidenced by the rotten corn, and bread they ate on the farm
>tfw the people only died after Thomasin's perceptions were removed, when her witch persona took over
>she killed the baby, left her brother to die, killed the twins, killed her father, and lashed out at her mother
>tfw she sodomized a goat
>tfw there was no witch's coven in the end, it was just her going out into the wilderness and having her insanity take over
>>
It's probably my favorite movie of the year. The entire thing is about this family looking for religious purity and salvation from Jesus, and yet they just continuously get ass-raped by Satan and evil and all that. Doesn't the dad say "Corruption, you are my father," or something like that? He was the most devout of all and even he had completely lost his faith by the end. I found it deeply disturbing.
>>
File: 1463039569340.jpg (41 KB, 463x617) Image search: [Google]
1463039569340.jpg
41 KB, 463x617
>>72111372
Thought it was absolutely delicious.
>>
>>72111651
brilliant, smartest thing I've read on 4chan all day
>>
>>72111651
Damn this was a thoughtful analysis.
>>
At first I thought it was pretty good, but the rape scene really just comes out of nowhere and ruins the tone for the rest of the film.
>>
>>72111957
What rape scene?
>>
>>72112002
the one where Thomasin raped her little brother. At first I thought it would be hot af, but it got really brutal and wasn't a turn on at all
>>
>>72111616
Director used actual documents as a basis for the film including the depiction of the devil and witches. According to him and scholars goats were depicted as animal familiars and even as a symbol of the devil in continental witchcraft like in England. So the director combines both early American and continental mythology. So there is some historical evidence to show that people did in fact view a goat as the devil.

Also the movie never had shit that was vomit exorcist shit. There was some crazy things but nothing to that level.
>>
>>72111957
>rape scene

What
>>
>>72111957
Posting this in threads for every movie is just some retarded meme going around /tv/.
>>
>>72112100
>>72112002

I think they're pulling your leg
>>
>>72111372
Honestly it's a massive disappointment. It betrayed the promise of a classical horror setup in favor of a broad metaphor for feminism and sexual liberation. It's obnoxious in the way the filmmakers clearly delight in the tragedy these characters experience for no other reason than because of their antiquated values. It's petty and shallow in a very modern way, with characters meeting their end through some ironic cruelty because the viewer is expected to see these characters as chains holding back Thomasin from modern emancipation. Thematically it's very similar to works like The Crucible but with substantially less depth.
>>
>>72112318
I thought it was a subtle feminist flick at fist. But the ending points to Thomasin getting here new found power from the burning of her twin siblings. I think this casts a shadow over her liberation
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.