[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Twin Peaks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
I'd like to start Twin Peaks discussion thread, because I finished it yesterday. (Haven't seen Fire Walk With Me Yet).

I really liked the show. It does not have any characters that are anything special expect for Dale Cooper. Most of the characters were two dimensional, I'd even say they all were 2D at best, but it kinda worked. Murder mistery intrigued me long enough to stay interested to the ending, which I really liked and also found very wierd, you could even say mindfuckish? What happened at the end? Bob entered in Dale, as he did with Leland, Coop's old rival died, Anna is alive and that was it or did I miss something? I'd say the best thing this show has going for it was Lynch's direction that really stood out in the second season, and made the show better. Almost every time when Bob was on the screen, I felt disturbed and somewhat scared. When Leland's wife had breakdowns, it was really scary, at least for me. Another thing that I loved about Twin Peaks was the atmosphere, I felt as though I lived there and I could feel with almost every character when they had their own problems. You can say that I was enchanted by it, it was really comfy. Casting was pretty good, and writing was good as well.

Some of the problems that I had were:

James's character was pretty weakly written. He was always just there, and didn't do anything for me.

Many of the characters aren't really interesting, James really stood out in terms of that, as I've already said. They're mostly 2D, and don't go out of their stereotype much, but, to repeat myself, it worked for the show so it really isn't such a big flaw.

Overall, I really liked the whole atmosphere of the show, I really felt as though I lived in Twin Peaks. Laura's case was intriguing and show's direction was really good. I'll probably see Fire Walk With Me Tonight, I heard it was really dark, which I like.

What did you think about the show, anons?
>>
i didn't read this post.
>>
>>72085307

Well, I'm not your parent or anything so you don't have to, and thanks for your BUMP. You can also contribute to the thread by adding your opinion on the show, if you've seen it that is.
>>
File: 1466733190922.jpg (23 KB, 427x344) Image search: [Google]
1466733190922.jpg
23 KB, 427x344
>>72085266
FWWM is a good movie.
>>
>>72085394

Noted, will do that in my future posts. A question about the movie, does it expand on the supernatural part of the show, mainly on The Black and White Lodge?
>>
>>72085266
The point of the show it's that it's pretty much a surreal soap opera. That's why the characters are just so two demensional. It also has one of the best soundtracks I've heard on a show and the best integration of music in a show I've seen (maybe apart from cowboy bebop).
>>
>>72085394
so many people shit talk it because it retells things we already know, but those people clearly don't understand that you can't just make a film sequel to a television series without retelling some things, because if you don't, you end up alienating your audience who might be interested in Twin Peaks but has never seen the actual show (and it's not like you could netflix Twin Peaks back then)
>>
>>72085370
no problemo. i think the show was interesting for its mystery and grotesque reactional drama because of its lynchian theme. it was kinda hard for me to watch since audrey really looked like my ex-gf back then, but i really liked it for what it is. i don't know if it needed another season.
>>
>>72085462
The movie is darker than television show. It's gonna leave you with more questions than answers. It was meant to be the first in a series of films, so there's a lot of retelling going on since they didn't want to alienate the audience to just Twin Peaks fans. Another problem is that the movie is raw David Lynch. There is no Mark Frost to balance with David's surrealism.

Also, watch the deleted scenes afterwards. I personally still haven't seen them. I don't know if the deleted scenes are canon or not.
>>
>>72085266
You gotta watch FWWM. And the ~90 minutes of deleted scenes if you can.

But yeah, I get where you're coming from with the characters but I sort of don't think it matters. I think they're mostly pretty deep for soap-ish archetypes. That's just part of the melodrama aspect to me.
>>
>>72085462
>does it expand on the supernatural part of the show
Yes. The movie is largely about all the spooky shit from the show without most of the quirky soap opera parts.
>>
>>72085470

Nice dubs! Yeah, I liked the soap opera aspect of the show, and as I've said, it wasn't a big flaw, and it worked.

>>72085475
Oh, okay thanks, but does it expand on the supernatural part of the show?

>>72085479
Thanks for contributing to this thread, anon. I'm kinda skeptical about the new season, because I kinda agree that it ended on a good not, but I also feel that it won't do the original justice. We'll see how it'll turn out.

>>72085554
So, the movie is a bit of a mindfuck, eh? I like the sound of that, can't wait to watch it. I'll watch them, thanks!
>>
>>72085625
Will do. Yeah, it didn't really matter as it worked for the show. I still liked them, and felt with them.

>>72085642
I really like the sound of that, spooky parts of the show were my favorite.
>>
>>72085266
Your reaction to your first viewing sounds pretty typical - coop's best character, james sucks, atmosphere was cool.
The characters are perfectly developed. Not sure what classifies you would classify as 3D. Many characters had arcs and changed over time. Cooper's character is actually my biggest problem with the show. He's too erratic. It feels blatant when his character is written by hack filler writers. Lynch is partially responsible for changes in Coopers characters.
In my multiple watches there are effectively 4 different Coops throughout the show.
>pilot "you didn't love her anyway" cooper
>season 1 cooper (smart and playful)
>start of season 2 cooper (rigid, bad haircut, gloomy)
>flannel shirt cooper (quirky to the extreme, lacks intelligence)
Last episode had a Cooper return to season 1 form.
>>
>>72085798

They had their development to be sure, but it still felt a bit 2D for me. Still, that wasn't such a big problem for me, because it really worked in the show. I'd say Cooper was mostly the same untill he'd fallen in love with Anna. A character whom I'd classify as 3D would be D'Angelo Barksdale from The Wire.
>>
OP here, what Twin Peaks girl did you find the best? My pick is Donna.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.