[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
His best film?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: BERGMAN INGMAR BERGMAN.jpg (12 KB, 460x280) Image search: [Google]
BERGMAN INGMAR BERGMAN.jpg
12 KB, 460x280
His best film?
>>
I don't know if its his best but I think my favourite of his would be Autumn Sonata
>>
>>72074436
patrician answer:
anything post-persona

pleb answer:
seventh seal / wild strawberries / summer with monika

contrarian answer:
all these women
>>
>>72074463
one of my favs too, ullman''s expressions are painting-like
>>72074512
>anything post-persona
have you watched Virgin Spring or Through A Glass Darkly?

i'd have to say his best film is Shame, Through a Glass Darkly or Hour Of The Wolf
tho the dialogues for In The Presence Of A Clown, Autumn Sonata and Cries and Whispers
are incredibly written
>>
Hour of the Wolf
>>
>>72074512

Are you saying the seventh seal is bad or just that his other films are even better?

I've only seen persona and the seventh seal and I thought both were amazing, couldn't say which I liked more
>>
File: Gyp_Rosetti.png (94 KB, 270x294) Image search: [Google]
Gyp_Rosetti.png
94 KB, 270x294
Boardwalk Empire season 3
>>
>>72074436
hour of the wolf
>>
>>72074436

I like him in Meet The Parents.
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 480x360
>>72074436

The Virgin Spring
>>
File: 326637.jpg.png (146 KB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
326637.jpg.png
146 KB, 320x213
>>72074512
Winter Light came out before Persona and it's his best, you know nothing
>>
Persona is my true answer, but that's because of the enormous impact it had on me. I still think it's one of the greatest films ever.
Fanny and Alexander is the one I recommend to everyone, because it's literally impossible to hate.
Scenes from a Marriage is what I say is his most straightforward story: symbolism is kept at a minimum, focus kept on acting.

I could pare it down to Persona, but lots of people would throw up their hands at it in the first few minutes and turn it off, so it makes sense to include answers that satisfy not just myself.
>>
File: cries and whispers.png (763 KB, 1280x756) Image search: [Google]
cries and whispers.png
763 KB, 1280x756
Cries and Whispers is a personal favorite. The colors and cinematography are so intense, it's a really unique film for one of his later ones. Plus it has all 3 of the best Bergman women in one.
>>
The Silence cuz bewbz
>>
>>72078747
it's a visceral experience for sure - one I really had the impression of not wanting to see again anytime soon, but powerful definitely.
that's one of the "great director uses colour for the first time, so he really worked at thinking about how he'd use it" films. Ozu's "Floating Weeds," or Kurosawa's "Dodes'ka-den."
but what it reminds me of more than anything is Buñuel's "Belle de jour" in the way it tries to use colour to make us feel even more uncomfortable and alienated by the situations we're seeing than they otherwise would have been had the film been in black and white.
>>
>>72079107
Pretty accurate review. It doesn't have quit the depth as his earlier ones but I love the way he uses color to portray the message.

The Faith Trilogy was probably his peak.
>>
>>72075688
hour of the wolf is shit
>>
>>
I've had a copy if The Seventh Seal for a long time now but never seen it. I've actually never seen a Bergman. He's one if the few big name directors I've missed out on.

Without spoiling the storyline, what kind of film do I have to be in the mood for to enjoy it?

I have various classics films just waiting, and have no idea when to watch them. Le Amiche, Night of the Hunter, Seven Samurai, Les Diaboliques, City Girl, Onibaba, Sunset Boulevard and probably a dozen more.
>>
>>72079681
>what kind of film do I have to be in the mood for to enjoy it?
approach it like a tarkovsky
>>
>>72079681
seventh seal is his worst, skip it
>>
Wild Strawberries by a mile.
>>
>>72079681
Night of the Hunter is so underrated

Also I think all the movies you listed are better than Seventh Seal.
>>
Fanny och Alexander

>>72079107
Equinox Flower is actually Ozu's first color film, it's also better than Floating Weeds imo. How does Dodes'ka-den measure up to the rest of Kurosawa's filmography? The latest film of his I've seen is Red Beard
>>
>>72082097
>och
being this pretentious
>>
>>72082133
>changing "and" to "och" is pretentious

hmmm
>>
>>72074436
I like wild strawberries and autumn sonata. Is fanny and alexander any good? I haven't seen it yet.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.