[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was his fucking problem?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8
File: strika.png (808 KB, 984x530) Image search: [Google]
strika.png
808 KB, 984x530
What was his fucking problem?
>>
>>72053597
He was a gaywad
>>
>>72053597
bump
>>
>>72053597
his entire family was murdered in front of him, he lost a place to call home, he fought in open warfare and an exploitative general raped him
all before puberty
i think he's allowed to have a fucking problem
>>
>>72054916
This. Also heroin.
>>
>>72054916
Niggers always looking for an excuse.
>>
>>72053597
>That scene where he immediately rushes to his buddy Agu after he is raped by the commander because he knows what he has just been through.

I didn't ask for that feel.
>>
>>72055390
AGU DO DIS TINK FOR ME

Based Elba should have been nominated
>>
>>72053597
He died
>>
>>72055087
I can't write LOL big enough
>>
>>72053597
Literally hopsin
>>
>>72053597
WOLBACHIA
>>
>>72056003
He actually should have been, yes. But they couldn't give it to a black guy who played an evil war-lord child rapist now could they?
>>
>>72053597
His anus had an ouchie.
>>
I like how africans lose all prepositions when they speak English .
>>
>>72056669
in a movie made for netflix, Elba was fucked from the start
>>
>>72056669
i mean it was a pretty shitty movie. Does good acting in a shitty movie deserve an award? Probably not
>>
>>72053597

LEE ME ALONE

I JUS WANT TO BE LEF ALONE
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (198 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
198 KB, 3000x1688
>>72057134
>>
both of these kid actors were pretty good tbqh

moreso considering they were basically picked up for the roles randomly somewhere in africa.
>>
>>72057134
>it was a pretty shitty movie
I mean, you're just wrong
Objectively you're opinion is shite
Beasts of No Nation was probably the best film released in 2015
>>
>>72057134
That movie was pretty far from shitty, anon. But to answer your (somewhat rhetorical) question, good acting in a shitty movie deserves an award, just as much as good acting in a good one does. It's an award for acting, not for screenwriting, directing of cinematography.
>>
>>72053597
man this was a great movie with some of the best child acting I've ever seen
>ywn be hyped up for battle by you commandant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA-qSlWfP1E
>>
File: 1468192117513.jpg (17 KB, 300x535) Image search: [Google]
1468192117513.jpg
17 KB, 300x535
>>72057763
I recommended to watch this film with my parents, they thought it was boring ...fuck them it was great.

I think they were salty because i picked a good film and they dont want to acknowledge im capable of choosing something good to watch.
>>
>>72057962
>I think they were salty because i picked a good film and they dont want to acknowledge im capable of choosing something good to watch.
Are you like 12?
>>
>>72058030
>>
>>72057539
>>72057645
What is your favorite movie?

Beasts of no Nation was a predictable oscar bait borefest.
>>
>>72053597
nigger
>>
>>72056892
It had limited theatrical release specifically for Oscar consideration but it still got snubbed.
>>
>>72058305
I don't see what that has to do with anything, but ok, it's either 8 1/2. It could also be Badlands, The Emigrants and The New Land, FMJ and (so you can call me pleb) LoTR (can't pick a favourite).
>>
>>72058818
I fucked up.
Either 8 1/2 or Bridge on the river Kwai*
>>
>>72058305
>predictable oscar bait borefest.
It seems patently clear that you don't know what any of those words mean and are just spouting buzzwords
oscar-bait would've starred a white lead as a journalist or something to represent the audience and portray white guilt
>>
>>72053597
Some faggy medic fulton him for no reason
>>
>>72053597
Big Boss didn't save him soon enough
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-07-16-21h31m51s720.png (379 KB, 1280x546) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-07-16-21h31m51s720.png
379 KB, 1280x546
The problem is that he FUCKING LOVES MILK
>>
They made a MGSV movie?
>>
>>72058885
That or biopic of historical figure
>>
>Ayu bez tellin mez dat we waz kangz an shiet?

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>72058818
ah well, I like to assume that people who like things I don't like are just completely uneducated. If you're actually into film and you still liked this movie then we have to engage in an actual argument. To be honest, I didn't even make it the whole way through the film, stopping at about an hour and a half. I felt like the whole thing could've easily been done in that hour and a half—the script/editing was just lazy and kept in extraneous shots. I mean, 20 minutes just to show that the kid loves his family? The whole first hour seemed to barely establish anything. Everything could've been so much tighter that I was just bored and spent by the time the story was happening.

>>72058885
Oscarbait can also be something which is meant to spur the emotions of the uneducated masses in a simple way, like you know making them empathize with a child soldier so they feel pity and connect easily with the film.
>>
>>72059200
>oscarbait is anything that evokes emotion
so any good film?
you're a fucking pleb, stop pretending you're not retarded
>>
>>72058733

No shit, the Academy fears Netflix. The lack of noms had nothing to do with race and everything to do with Netflix representing the death of the traditional box office and the Academy fearing that.
>>
>>72059200
>To be honest, I didn't even make it the whole way through the film, stopping at about an hour and a half
>I mean, 20 minutes just to show that the kid loves his family?
Holy fuck, you're either a teenager or your favourite director is Nolan
or both
>>
>>72059200
>I like to assume that people who like things I don't like are just completely uneducated.

/tv/, everyone.
>>
>>72059200
>I like to assume that people who like things I don't like are just completely uneducated
So you're a retarded asshole?
Anyways, I never said that the film was without flaws. I said it wasn't a shitty movie.
And it didn't just spend the 20 first minutes to tell you that the kid loved his family. It spent a lot of time hinting towards the coming disaster and showing that Agu was your average everyday kid who was about to be dragged down into the filthiest and most cruel side that humanity has to offer.
>I didn't even make it the whole way through the film, stopping at about an hour and a half.
Oh. Fuck me, you're trolling.
Either that or you're someone to young to own your own computer/phone/tablet.
>>
>>72059200
Also, me telling you what my favourite movie is, says nothing about how "educated" and "patrician" I am. For all you know, I could be lying or I could've just chose these films because they're cool and I like them.
>>
>>72059830
I mean, it's probably not right for me to argue about a film I didn't finish, but I honestly thought that it was so flawed in the first hour that I wouldn't find anything satisfying or worthwhile out of the rest. The first 20 minutes could've been done in 5 or 10. I just rewatched them. I felt that the next 40 after that were also bloated. The movie could've been an hour shorter and that's just by shortening the first hour and a half that I saw, literally, and it could've done that by assuming that the audience is smart enough to predict the many cliches which fill the plot and characters.

Basically, the writing was lazy. I can see why people would like it, but the flaws were overwhelming to me.
>>
>>72060232
you should find a new hobby
"20 minutes provided much character development" isn't a valid film criticism

Have you tried anime? I reckon you'd love it
>>
>>72060330
>20 minutes provided much character development
I'm saying the opposite, though. 20 minutes showed us that the main character loves his family, is innocent, and is a little mischievous. These are characteristics which could be established in 5 or 10 minutes. Plot things which happen are basically just that his mom leaves and it hints at the war coming to their city. This also could've been done in those 5 or 10 minutes.

There is room for films to meander, but not on stuff like this. These characteristics and plot points are just tropes, they can be said and understood almost immediately. If you take 20 minutes to handle them, there really should be something much deeper to ponder, because they only take a few minutes to establish.
>>
>>72060469
you literally have no concept of films as art or understanding of setting the scene
i think there's a new episode of daredevil for you to watch
>>
>Beasts Of No Nation
>Blood Diamond
>War Witch
>Johnny Mad Dog
>The Last King Of Scotland
>Tears Of The Sun
>Hotel Rwanda
>District 9
>Chappie
What are some more examples of Afrikakino?
>>
>>72060662
See, I would say the same thing to you. Good art has so much to say that it can't waste time, and Beasts of No Nation is probably somewhere around 40% wasted time. It's time spent establishing characters and plots which are immediately recognizable to most audiences. It's time spent on shots which look pretty but are within such a shallow film that there's not even anything to ponder during them. If you think that this movie was good art, then you probably don't have a very good concept of film as art.
>>
>>72060783
The Gods Must Be Crazy
>>
File: Splat.gif (1 MB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
Splat.gif
1 MB, 240x160
>>72053597
>>
File: 2015-09-06_00001.jpg (134 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-06_00001.jpg
134 KB, 1366x768
>>72053597

Big Boss didn't find him first.
>>
>>72061038
none of what you said has any merit
it spends 20 minutes setting the scene
it doesn't do it in 5 minutes because then the juxtaposition and upset of being forced into war wouldn't hit nearly as hard
it showed us that he was a normal kid, not special and not thirsting for violence

again, that you couldn't understand something so simple makes it clear that you're either too young or too stupid for this hobby
i can't even imagine how you'd deal with a director like kubrick, nevermind leone or tarkovsky
>>
>>72061118
Fuck me man, THIS is the film.

I've been looking for it for years. The brother and sister had me bawling at points.
>>
>>72060469
>I'm saying the opposite, though. 20 minutes showed us that the main character loves his family, is innocent, and is a little mischievous. These are characteristics which could be established in 5 or 10 minutes
> This also could've been done in those 5 or 10 minutes.
Anon, do you have adhd?
>>
>>72059200
Holy shit babby's first film review
>>
>>72053597
his anus got BLACKED
>>
>>72053597
white colonialism
>>
Beautiful movie (besides the subject matter)
>>
>>72062057
See, the fact that you would compare this in any way to kubrick, leone, or tarkovsky shows that you don't actually have a good idea of this stuff. Anyone of those directors would've (and could've) established the character of Agu in one scene, and also set the tone. With Beasts of No Nation, you get like 3-4 scenes in a row where the major thrust is simply that the main character loves his family. Okay... I already knew that. You also get three or so examples of him being mischievous. Okay, why show us three times? We get it on the first one. It assumes that the audience is too stupid to understand very, very basic elements of the character. Next time you watch a film by Kubrick, Leone, or Tartovsky, pay attention to what exactly each scene is developing. Good directors will rarely try and develop the same character trait in multiple scenes, especially not multiple scenes in a row. They will assume that the audience can get it the first time. Sometimes, they'll spend more than one scene explaining something because it's a complicated trait. The traits of Agu are not complicated, they do not deserve the kind of retreading they are given. These are my complaints of just the first 20 minutes, even. The movie was written lazily, for a lazy audience.
>>
>>72062703
okay I actually can't read you talk anymore
if you think any of those directors would've spent only 5 minutes on the opening, you've clearly never watched any of their films
so either I' being trolled or you're a moron trying to look smart on an anonymous imageboard
either way i don't give a shit
>>
>>72062970
Maybe they wouldn't have spent 5 minutes, but if they had spent more time, it certainly wouldn't have been spent establishing the same character trait over and over. I'm not trolling. I understand that you think that they spent so long on it to set the scene, but I think that they could've set the scene more quickly, or at least with less repetition of the same ideas. I'm wondering if you at agree that the major of thrust of multiple scenes at the start is just that he loves his family. A few minor things are established in those scenes as well, but it's like, why are they saying the same character trait over and over again?
>>
>>72057204
an on da turd day...da same snake!
>>
>>72053859
lel. african boy BTFO'd!

how will he ever recover???
>>
>>72063133
I already explained that, it's setting a stark contrast to the rest of the film to make his character seem real
Rather than write a character by checking off boxes (scene where he's mischievous? check. scene where he's with his family? check. okay, let's move on), it's written to show what his life was actually like
I can't comprehend how you don't understand this

I'd get your concern if the scene was an hour, but it's not even close
Did you watch 2001 and wonder why the scene with the apes went on for so long? (implying you've seen 2001)
>>
>>72057134
t. edgy cunt who didn't even watch it
>>
>>72063337
>it's written to show what his life was actually like
See, this is where I think maybe the actual core of our disagreement comes in. I don't think films are made to show what somebody's life is actually like. I think that films are made with specific narrative rules, and that this film breaks those narrative rules a TON. Kubrick doesn't retread ground, because retreading ground is something you don't do if you're following the rules of a narrative. That scene in 2001 establishes a really complex theme, and it has to be very long in order to do so. It's not the sort of simple trope which can be summed up in a few minutes.
>>
>>72063521
I'll say this for the last time,
therre would have been no impact if the scene had only been 5 minutes long
most shitty horror films go straight into the horror story and because of this, there's no connection with the characters. this is why any horror that takes its time automatically becomes a favourite
>it follows
>green room
>the shining
>the babadook
None of these are especially scary, but they're all highly rated (even if the babadook is overrated) because they take 15+minutes to establish the characters doing mundane things before the horror starts so that the audience feels a connection, feels like they're experiencing the story with the characters
this is basic story-telling
(i use horror only because it highlights the issue clearly)
>>
>>72063833
>there would have been no impact if the scene had only been 5 minutes long
I maybe even agree with this (but there are movies which establish a world and then have that world destroyed in 5-10 minutes, and the impact is still strong), but in my opinion, the way that the scenes kept retreading ground killed the impact as much as if it had been shorter would've. If the only way they could get 20 minutes of setting was to reestablish the same thing over and over, then it's lazy writing. Retreading ground is bad, even if it's for good reasons.
>>
>>72056669
Don't think playing such a role had a mental effect on Elba?
>>
>>72064183
I do. In fact I know it had. My young, succulent, prepubescent anus is still sore from the first time I met Idris.
>>
Did anyone else guiltily respect Striker a lot? I bet he could beat Rambo.
>>
>>72057134
>it was a pretty shitty movie

MASSIVE PLEB ALERT
>>
>>72057344

This, I can't believe Agu is gonna be in Spider-Man as well.
>>
>>72058885
>oscar-bait would've starred a white lead as a journalist or something to represent the audience and portray white guilt

You're right, Digimon should've won an Oscar for Blood Diamond.
>>
File: 1335357459133.png (165 KB, 400x350) Image search: [Google]
1335357459133.png
165 KB, 400x350
>>72059200
>I like to assume that people who like things I don't like are just completely uneducated
>I didn't even make it the whole way through the film
>stopping at about an hour and a half

Holy fuck kill yourself.
>>
>>72060662
>>72059389
>shitting on DD and Nolan to point out that this guy is a retard

Uncalled for. Also, ironically similar to what he's doing - assuming anyone you disagree with loves stuff you consider beneath you.
>>
>>72065049
>>72065234
You should actually read the long argument we had in this thread. Starts here
>>72059830
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.