[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any movies with this aesthetic? Hell is severely underused
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: hell.jpg (930 KB, 3164x2584) Image search: [Google]
hell.jpg
930 KB, 3164x2584
Are there any movies with this aesthetic? Hell is severely underused in film
>>
I only see images like those in Documentaries
>>
Not a movie, but David Firth's animations have recently taken on this look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XDhz5kanYk
>>
>>72048737
i hope firth strikes it big one day. he certainly deserves it
>>
>>72048286
hannibal
>>
Constantine's hell scene was surprisingly great
>>
>>72048798
The Meadow Man will totally be finished eventually
Totally
You just have to believe man
>>
>>72048286
Peter Greenaway's been threatening a H. Bosch film to finish his Dutch Masters trilogy for a while now. hope he gets to it now that his Brancusi film has wrapped. Greenaway uses the aesthetic of the painters or artwork in his biographical films to great effect. check out Nightwatching for some beautiful Rembrandt inspired cinematography.

btw, the funniest thing i've noticed these past few days is his latest film, Eisenstein in Guanajuato, is trending in Netflix US. a film no one actually saw in the cinema over here. good for Greenaway.
>>
>>72048957
>a film no one actually saw in the cinema over here.
I did. It was pretty stupid and boring, even for Greenaway.
>>
>>72048957
>Brancusi film

Holy crap, I had no idea. Thanks.
>>
>>72048981
>It was pretty stupid and boring
astute criticism there, mate. i found it to be exceptional and charming. i could've done without the graphic sex, but that's just me. Greenaway's Eisensteinesque montage was quite enthralling and the restaurant sequence inspired. how anyone can find the film boring is beyond me. stupid? well, it does get rather silly at times, but i wouldn't call it stupid. to each their own, mate.
>>
>>72048948
;_;

i'll believe if you do anon.
>>
>>72049031
yeah, really looking forward to it. also, on imdb, there's a listing for Eisenstein in Hollywood. while i enjoyed Guanajuato immensely, i'd rather he move on from the Russian director and make that Bosch film sooner than later.
>>
Hard to Be a God had kind of a Bosch aesthetic
>>
The Backwater Gospel
>>
I've seen an interview with Terry Gilliam where he acknowledges the influence of Bosch on his visual style.
>>
Can't think of any good examples, but I completely agree that it is an underused motif in filmmaking. It's pretty disappointing how rarely films are attempting truly ambitious settings in general.
>>
In Bruges
>>
>>72049769
ah, yes, some of Gilliam's messy sets do contain a muddled and busy aesthetic like Bosch's hell paintings. there's some of that in The Zero Thereom. very entertaining film. almost a return to form, if not so.
>>
can you imagine a Dante's Inferno movie directed by George Miller?
>>
>>72051248
i'd love to see Miller do a Divine Comedy trilogy since he's mentioned he's just about done with the Mad Max world, directing-wise.
>>
Pale Man gives off that vibe
>>
>>72048286

But the only hell is the one you are living, anon
>>
I'd love a Barlowe style vision too. Would be a tad easier to film than to capture the feeling of a Bosch painting
>>
>>72050032
how
>>
>>72050032
It's like a fookin fairy tale.
>>
>>72048286
Does Jacob's Ladder count?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.