[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does it get ANY comfier than this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
Does it get ANY comfier than this?
>>
File: 1468672203859.jpg (42 KB, 750x480) Image search: [Google]
1468672203859.jpg
42 KB, 750x480
>>72046362
IMMA OOGA COUNTING ON IT
>>
>>72046362
Black Pearl is pretty comfy.

But the zenith of comfyness is LOTR/Hobbit.

Despite the Hobbit trilogy flaws, they are undeniably comfy.
>>
It does.
>>
>>72046405

This and Star Wars OT are the comfiest films ever made.

Pirates is 9/10 comfy
>>
>>72046362
They don't make'em like they used to. Depp is genuinely amazing, Davy Jones is a legendary character, peak teen Keira, a lot of minor character also have real personalities. Great action, great music, great cinematography, GOAT dialogue.
>>
>>72046403
>>72046362
Why were the sequels so much less charming than Curse of the Black Pearl? I never could put my finger on it but the first one is so much better than the rest.
>>
>>72046454
That's strange because I find Curse really bland and boring, Dead Man's Chest good and charming and World's End a fucking slog of a mess.

The best part about 2 is that no one is concerned with the grander narrative of pirates versus royal navy, they all have personal agendas that conflict or align with each other and at the end some have won and some have lost and it was pretty much up to chance as visualised by the giant roulette wheel in the final three-way swordfight. In fact the movie references gambling a lot.
>>
>>72046454
first one was supposed to be a fun action movie for the family while paying tribute to the disneyland ride.

2nd and 3rd took themselves too seriously and became drab and dark soulless films with too many overlapping plots and a incoherent mess of a story overall. While they tried to up the ante by adding more action scenes and bigger special effects, the impact was lacking, because the buildup just wasn't there and the audience couldn't give two shits about the outcome.
>>
>>72046578
Yeah, maybe it's that. 1st was kind of like a hearty, fun adventure. It had a good vibe, even some parts that made me smile out loud. The sequels were grim and the mood turned from happy to kind of hopeless. And yeah, the convoluted story arcs too.

>>72046545
2nd was ok IMO, but not as good as 1
>>
>>72046454
It's got perfect pacing. Despite being the shortest it just feels like it has the most in it.
>>
>>72046637
Without the intention of starting an argument, what exactly makes Curse the best in your opinion? Because it's one of those movies that I would use as an example of distinct mediocrity. I can't recall anything particularly outstanding, it's serviceable and plays safe even to the point of ridiculing itself (like the blood ritual being just a minor cut on the palm).
>>
>>72046716
see >>72046578 >>72046637

>plays safe even to the point of ridiculing itself (like the blood ritual being just a minor cut on the palm).
What, how was that a bad thing? It was a good little joke, everybody was expecting her to be miraculously saved or stabbed, instead she got a little scratch, which actually makes way more sense than what the audience expects at that point.
>>
>>72046381
fuck you
>>
The first movie has absolutely zero fat on it. Every scene moves the plot forward and develops the characters. The dialogue is much tighter as well.
>>
When I first watched all three I actually really liked them. Something about the grand scale of everything and how 10/10 Davy Jones was in particular.

Never liked Orlando or Keira though.
>>
>>72046772
It's not unexpected in the sense that the whole movie is harmless like that. They're silly, sensible pirates and they commit sanitised violence. There's very little contrast except for the humorless Will Turner (and Norrington) without whom the movie would probably be unbearably flat since the rest of the characters conform to the hammy silliness.
>>
File: 1448921175177.jpg (20 KB, 317x330) Image search: [Google]
1448921175177.jpg
20 KB, 317x330
>>72046871
>all three

Oh boy, have I got news for you
>>
>>72046405
blu ray extended editions LotR is the most comfy I own.
>>
>>72046901
The very same people kill other people in the same movie. It only makes sense that they don't kill liz just for the heck of it when logically a drop of blood is enough. They also were ready to kill her later for more blood. I don't see anything wrong with this setup, the only thing that's missing is actual gore, which wouldn't have improved the movie one bit.
>>
>>72046932
He's correct enough because the fourth one has a different director.

>>72046966
I'm not calling for gore specifically, and gore can be funny like in The Thing or the Evil Dead series. I mainly wish Curse of the Black Pearl wasn't so decaffeinated. Many children's adventure movies have darker bits without being any less comfy. In Dead Man's Chest there's the overarching plot of Jack Sparrow's futile attempt to avoid certain death which is good contrast for the goofy ass sequences that follow.
>>
>>72046637
>smile out loud

H-huh?
>>
>>72046405
fellowship transcends all laws of comfyness
>>
>>72046454
Curse of the Black Pearl is fun, the next two movies are just straight up farcical

Also Jack Sparrow's character was assassinated for the sake of easier writing. Instead of the bumbling, lovable rogue who gets out of tricky situations by the skin of his teeth, he turns into this legendary figure at the center of every big plotline.
>>
>>72046932
I try to pretend the fourth one doesn't exist.
>>
I liked the lovecraftian vibe of Dead Man Chest, it made it comfier.
>>
Dead mans chest was awful. I don't understand how anyone can like it. Same goes for the third one
>>
>>72046454
The first one was a repurposed script from an adaptation of the curse of the monkey island games. The other ones had an original script and were terrible
>>
>>72048164
Is this true.

If it is thats fucking hilarious because you can see which characters are which.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.