[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Essential Samurai-kino? I am about to watch pic related, which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: yoj.jpg (36 KB, 350x542) Image search: [Google]
yoj.jpg
36 KB, 350x542
Essential Samurai-kino?

I am about to watch pic related, which I hear is pretty good.
>>
>>72030719
just shut up and watch that it's a lot of fun. the sequel Sanjuro is good too.
>>
>>72030755
I'll get that too then. Didn't know there was a sequel, thank anon.

Anything else?
>>
Pretty much anything with Mifune is good
>>
>>72030936
Is the Shogun mini series good?

Also I saw a clip(I think with Mifune) where two samurai draw swords and this guy is quicker and there's a lot of comical blood, is that one of these two?
>>
>>72030936
He's shit in Seven Samurai, where he plays a Jar-Jar Binks type of character.

He was probably the inspiration for Jar-Jar. George is a big Kurosawa fan, after all.
>>
>>72031338
>le seven samurai wasn't that good
Reddit
Go there
>>
>>72030719
This and Sanjuro were what Sergio Leone's "Fist Full of Dollars" and "For a Few Dollars More" with Clint Eastwood were based on.
>>
>>72031378
He didn't say that though, he said Mifune's character was bad
>>
>>72030719
last 15 minutes of sword of doom is GOAT as is the last 15 minutes of harakiri
>>
In the 60s and 70s some samurai films started to be influenced by spaghetti westerns and a lot of hyper violence and really cool gritty cinematography. I have only seen one and sadly I don't remember its name but I recommend you look into that era

Also Harakiri is a great non-Kurosawa samurai film, I think you will like it a lot but don't expect a ton of action. The original btw, not the remake
>>
>>72031405
Yeah, I heard about the lawsuit so that's why I am trying them out. I hear they are better than those westerns anway
>>
>>72031378
Did you watch the film more than once? Be honest now.

Actually, don't bother. Because the answer is no, you didn't. It's a overlong snoozefest with an irritating as fuck comic-relief character (the proto-Jar Jar).

The battle at the end is pretty good, though.
>>
>>72031070
It's ok, chamberlain can't act though kinda brings the production down
>>
>>72031426
I'll get those too and try them out. Is the buildup what makes them good or what
>>
>>72031338
Dude, he's not even the comic relief. That's Heihatchi. He's literally the protagonist our the movie. "This was not our victory, it was their victory". He's a drunk peasant posing as a saumrai who, over the course of the movie, develops into everything he was pretending to be and dies a hero.
>>
File: bait.jpg (47 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
47 KB, 625x626
>>72031441
>>
>Japanese shit
>anything approaching kino
>>
>>72031429
Not exactly looking for action, just good movies. Any suggestions outside of samurai
>>
>>72031440
They're both good in their own ways but I agree, the original Kurosawa films are better. It's interesting though to watch an Italian director's interpretation of the American West, especially "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" which takes place during the American Civil War.
>>
>>72031549

>>72031544
>>
>>72031565
I've seen those movies many times. They are pretty good. I want to watch things most people haven't though, I am tired of the same movies all the time
>>
>>72031620
If you want to see a western that is much better than Leone's work check out The Great Silence, it is essentially the antithesis of the man with no name character and everything Leone stood for, highly suggest it
>>
>>72031534
>Dude, he's not even the comic relief.

Dude, he's literally prancing his way the film, whooping and cunting about like a court jester.
>>
File: Samurai.jpg (1 MB, 1568x2280) Image search: [Google]
Samurai.jpg
1 MB, 1568x2280
>>72030719
>>
File: randesktop.jpg (692 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
randesktop.jpg
692 KB, 1920x1080
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEsPqJOKmiQ

Ran is pure kino unironically
>>
>>72031708
He doesn't quip and has a ton of character development, comparing him to Jar-Jar is just unfair.
>>
>>72031718
Boy, /tv/ has a guide for everything

I've only seen Princess Mononoke and 13 Assassins. I guess I have some watching to do this weekend.
>>
File: photo_04.jpg (210 KB, 1024x586) Image search: [Google]
photo_04.jpg
210 KB, 1024x586
>>72030719
I liked 13 Assasins; it was pretty fun

>>72031544
>Everybody must like a particular movie or they're accused of baiting.

If he didn't like the movie, he didn't like the movie; that plain and simple.
>>
File: disdain for plen.jpg (48 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
disdain for plen.jpg
48 KB, 400x462
>>72031441
>Did you watch the film more than once? Be honest now.
Literally every time it comes on TMC, turbopleb.
>>
>>72031718
I would add the Hanzo the Razor trilogy and Kagemusha
>>
>>72030719
Go find some Zatoichi movies. Based blind samurai.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.