[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
He hated it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 14
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 300x279) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 300x279
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/437888/ghostbusters-cafe-society-thats-not-who-we-are
>>
BASED
>>
Our king has spoken.
>>
>A feminist Gunga Din, Jones’s Patty makes it possible for the SNL white pukka sahibs to feel good about repeating Ghostbusters’ Eighties line-up — as if exhibiting generous social equality. That’s how escapist entertainment works: It disguises Hollywood’s entrenched biased hegemony as happily inclusive fun for all. Director Paul Feig, who saw no need to diversify the cast of his deplorable but lucrative Bridesmaids, perpetuates the same ol’ Ghostbuster tokenism. His cast of romantic dingaling (Wiig), plus-size clown (McCarthy), butch brainiac (McKinnon), and black sidekick (Jones) presumes to update the original film’s nonsense by virtue of representing Obama-era parity (which includes Chris Hemsworth as an unfunny beefcake version of Old Hollywood cheesecake), but Feig forgets that Reagan-era liberals felt no need to demonstrate equality; enjoying white privilege showed who they were, and filmgoers laughed while acquiescing.
>>
Somebody lynch this uppity nigger
>>
File: 1394861838854.jpg (882 KB, 1380x1311) Image search: [Google]
1394861838854.jpg
882 KB, 1380x1311
And now the /v/edditors that called him a pretentious hipster will praise him

reminder you need to watch these films to understand him and not pleb dogshit like whiplash, fight club, mad max fury road, etf
>>
>>72018242
I hate this fucking nigger.

Let's not kid ourselves, if this heap of shit had been critically acclaimed he would have said it was shit.

Also he spoke for an entire paragraph about race roles and expectations.

Fuck him.
>>
How is he always right?
>>
>>72018308
>>A feminist Gunga Din
Underrated
>>
>>72018353

I'll say go back to /pol/ because all you have to say is 'nigger' this and 'nigger' that.
>>
>>72018682
I said it once and it was just to diminutize him, doesn't mean the rest of my arguments are wrong.
>>
>>72018353
>he spoke for an entire paragraph about race roles and expectations
literally how new. that's all he does.
>>
Friendly reminder that Armond thought Grown Ups was good but that There Will Be Blood was bad.
>>
>>72019560
he also loved Jack & Jill and Transformers. he's a stupid coon with a library card.
>>
>>72019560
TWBB is a film that plebeians flock to in awe, because they are nearly completely underexposed to cinema.

It is a film which exposes the tasteless, time after time.
>>
>>72019589
I bet typing that made you feel real edgy, huh.
>>
>>72019560
Grown Ups was fun. It's just a bunch of friends in real life hanging out and having a good time.

That's how I took it.
>>
>>72019588
You're wronger than anyone else in this thread. Look at one of Armond's yearly breakdowns, and I'll bet you haven't even heard of most of the films he praises. He prefers movies that are artistic, accomplished and meaningful, with substance behind them. You've taken from the fact he'll say something positive about Jack & Jill to mean it's one of his favourite movies, and for that, you are literally retarded. It's your taste that is shit, and Armond points out the disingenuousness and hypocrisy of your kind.

>he said something good about jack & jill and transformers 2 but insulted avengers! how could this be so? contrarian! his taste is shit!
The kinds of movies Armond really cherishes are movies like Garçon stupide, Divine Intervention, Those Who Love Me Can Take the Train, etc -- movies you haven't even fucking heard of, you absolute pleb, and it's from that perspective he's judging your crudely made, emotionally barren movies parading as meaningful, and instead praising movies that at least know they're fucking garbage and do something with it.

You'll go, then, I don't doubt, from accusing him to enjoying garbage to accusing him of being pretentious, and you'll not see he occupies both simultaneously, as he can enjoy a fun romp for what it is, and he can enjoy majesty, beauty and vision, and that's what he does in his reviews. It's you who's got shit taste because you enjoy vacuous shite while thinking it's good and imagining you've got sophisticated taste.
>>
>>72019623
None of that makes it a good movie

>>72019589
None of that makes it a bad movie.
>>
Barmond (Based Armond) does it again
>>
>>72019623
He thought GI Joe: Rise of the Cobra, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry were good but that Zodiac was bad.
>>
File: bvs.jpg (61 KB, 849x475) Image search: [Google]
bvs.jpg
61 KB, 849x475
Thank you based Armond for also praising BvS
>>
>>72019664
>muh false dichotomy!
I hate The Avengers too. Get that nigger's HIV infested cock out of your mouth. He's a fraud and exists only to make idiots like you feel smart.
>>
>>72018242
>"Paul Feig, who saw no need to diversify the cast of his deplorable but lucrative Bridesmaids, perpetuates the same ol’ Ghostbuster tokenism"
savage
>>
>>72019664
>He prefers movies that are artistic, accomplished and meaningful, with substance behind them

>Grown ups
>Jack & Jill

low quality bait
>>
All of his reviews for Feig's movies have been not just negative, but scathing. I am not surprised at all.
>>
>>72019506
Fuck off summerfag.

Why is it only during America's summer period that you are constantly being accused of being new?

Armond's go to is overwrought subtext for many, many themes all of which are almost never and in some cases absolutely nowhere near present in the film. Give me some examples from his reviews to support the race card from Armond and I'l apologize.
>>
>>72019708
It must be a new and frightening experience for you who are used to imagining feral africans rough riding girls you'd never have a chance with personally -- a mad mingling of hate and power fantasy -- to see now a black person who is intellectually your superior. What will you do when you're left alone in a quiet room with nothing but your inadequacy and inferiority?

>>72019721
>The kinds of movies Armond really cherishes are movies like Garçon stupide, Divine Intervention, Those Who Love Me Can Take the Train, etc -- movies you haven't even fucking heard of, you absolute pleb, and it's from that perspective he's judging your crudely made, emotionally barren movies parading as meaningful, and instead praising movies that at least know they're fucking garbage and do something with it.
>>
Armond is a meme reviewer fishing for the *contrarian audience* ie. people that are against popular films.

That's literally his extent of criticism. Which amounts to zeor.
>>
>>72018308
Christ, even if I disagree with his reviews I have to admit they are always hilarious and actually REVIEW the damn movie.
>>
>>72019859
If he was a contrarian, he'd be reviewing Ghostbsuters positively though.
>>
>>72019831
>It must be a new and frightening experience for you who are used to imagining feral africans rough riding girls you'd never have a chance with personally
Do you have something to tell us? Armond is a garbageman and a hack who most likely doesn't understand the movies he claims to love. His race baiting that is inevitably in every review is more telling than any of his lovely lists. He's a piece of shit faggot nigger, literally. And you're defending him. Congratulations.
>>
>>72019859
Armond White isn't a contrarian. He exposes the hypocrisy of Hollywood and the critics.
>>
>>72018308

hahaha this is one of his best takedowns since precious
>>
>>72019560

There will be blood was bad.

Filters and pseudo intellectual script writing does not make a movie good
>>
>>72020133
doesn't make it bad either ;^)
>>
>>72018242
HAHAHAH WOMYN BTFO
>>
>>72018353
what the fuck do you mean faggot? this movie received mixed review and he still shat all over it.
>>
File: armondwhite090223_250.jpg (12 KB, 250x375) Image search: [Google]
armondwhite090223_250.jpg
12 KB, 250x375
Name one review he did that was not absolutely correct.

Oh wait, you can't.
>>
>>72019589
Agree.
They're the people who think googling "top 10 films of the decade" and praising them will somehow make them a critical film watcher.
>>
>>72018242
You /tv/ folk have idols much different than those we have on /b/
>>
>>72018308
BASED
A
S
E
D
>>
>>72018363
He's right because he doesn't actually critique the merits of the movie. Instead, he talks about it in a social context where he can weave whatever story in to either say it's bad for America or good for America to have this movie around.

The guy rarely. gives concrete reasons why the movie is good or not.
>>
>>72018242
I was all on board with him until he spouted the line about white privilege. Still waiting on mine to kick in.
>>
>>72021798
Explain. I only been at /b/ and never looked back.
>>
>>72018339
And what about those of us who are genre enthusiasts? I enjoy exploitation cinema and horror films, so that list does nothing for me.
>>
>>72018242
How can we allow one, single individual to be so fucking BASED?
>>
>>72022077
Traps, racists, Boxxy/whatever other cam whore has got their collected nads pulsing for a release.
>>
>>72021948
>where he can weave whatever story in to either say it's bad for America or good for America to have this movie around.
It annoys the fuck out of me that people think he's a good reviewer. A good writer? Sure, but he rarely critiques the movie. He always relates shit to Black Lives Matter or calls Tarantino a racist.
Fuck this guy.
>>
>>72018353
I've said it before. Armond is the only one who makes virtue signalling redditors go: "fucking nigger" for not praising meme flicks and marvel capeshit.
>>
>>72022071
>I was all on board with him until he spouted the line about white privilege. Still waiting on mine to kick in.
Oh, fuck off. Let me guess, your life is so fucking terrible and hard. Nobody knows the burdens you face. I bet you have "anxiety" or some other made-up shit that you use as your crutch. Idiot. Get off your fucking ass and make something of yourself.
>>
>>72022347
projection much princess? Anxiety is not even a thing or reason for most.
>>
>>72021503
Up

And even then he brought up some good points.

But you don't write a bad review about Up. It's just flat out wrong to call it a bad movie
>>
>>72021503
Hateful Eight. He calls Tarantino racist. Which is impossible seeing as he's an honorary black man.
>>
>>72022263
>redditors
>nigger

lul wut
>>
>>72022478
projecting what? the only thing I'm projecting is anger and hatred toward useless, crybaby pussies who think the world owes them something. our whole society is filled with worthless dead weight holding the rest of us back.
>>
>>72018308
poetry

more artistic vision in that paragraph than either movie
>>
>>72022627
whose holding back princess, hypocrite much?
>>
>>72018242
Who?
>>
>>72022650
>whose holding back princess, hypocrite much?
that sentence doesn't even make sense
>>
>>72018339
O Deus e o Diabo na Terra do Sol is an adaptation of Canudos basically, the novel "Os Sertões" did it better, much better. The film itself has some good acts but it's not exceptional as this chart thinks it is. O Pagador de Promessas is a much better movie, Terra em Transe from Glauber itself is also better.
>>
wtf I love ghostbusters now
>>
>>72022656
found the summerfag
>>
>>72022605
They're racist too.

>You and I are not so different.
>>
>>72018353
it's time for you to leave, /v/eddit
>>
>>72019687
Zodiac was bad
>>
>>72019899
And he does it for free
>>
>>72021503
saying BvS had a soul
>>
File: 1467579254484.webm (3 MB, 1000x414) Image search: [Google]
1467579254484.webm
3 MB, 1000x414
>>72024855
he's right
>>
>>72022347
Butthurt roody-poo detected. Better get off the computer before the cops shoot you.
>>
>>72022491

It's a shit movie.
>>
>>72022744
It does. You have to not be a retard to decipher it, though.
>>
>>72024909
hahahhahaha, oh god. That "I love you" is so corny what the fuck was he thinking?
>>
>>72019899
I kind of agree with this, before being kicked out he stated critics have to voice their opinions with out studio influence(money).
>>
He also tore apart bridesmaids
>>
>>72025175
Stop dooms at all cost to save his woman/people.

also faulty script.
>>
>FUCKING MALE SHITLO-
>oh he's black? I'm so sorry oh my atheism I'm so sorry please forgive me black lives matter oh no oh no please PLEASE forgive me!!!!
Heh, fucking SJW's
>>
File: 1468194536498.jpg (136 KB, 742x647) Image search: [Google]
1468194536498.jpg
136 KB, 742x647
>>72018242

>"Ghostbusters and Café Society seek identity in gimmicks."

BTFO
T
F
O
>>
I just sent this to my liberal sister. Waiting for her to say "Oh another angry white dude" so I can point out that Armond White is a black man and call her racist :^)
>>
>>72018242
yet another misogynist manbaby who hates women. How many female critics hated this movie? That's right, none. Checkmate athiests
>>
>>72019589
>>72021603
so? The Godfather is another one of those films, but its also an achievement of cinema and one of the best films ever made.

if you actually judge a film entirely by its watchers, you are a pathetic coward
>>
File: 1465847784458.png (292 KB, 504x504) Image search: [Google]
1465847784458.png
292 KB, 504x504
>>72018308
>plus-size clown(McCarthy)

BASED
>>
>>72025175
>hahahhahaha, oh god. That "I love you" is so corny what the fuck was he thinking?
The modern audiences adolescent embarassement of genuine emotion explains a lot about the popularity of the MCU.
>>
>>72025724
>if you actually judge a film entirely by its watchers, you are a pathetic coward
so, typical /tv/ on all counts then
>>
>>72026751
Well, yes
>>
>>72026739
>every thread has to derail into consolewar bait
>>
>>72026841
It was a simple observation and it isn't really limited to the MCU. Compare 'Jurassic Park' with 'Jurassic World' or 'Star Wars' with 'The Force Awakens' for example. If there is one thing that exemplifies modern blockbusters it is glibness.
>>
>>72018339
Fuck off hipster faggot
>>
>>72026739
I don't like Marvel movies but BvS was absolutely terrible. I can't believe people are unironically defending this trash.
>>
>>72027058
t. Marvel babby's first false-flagging
>>
>>72026947
that's an oversimplification, too focused on one aspect of the phenomenon in question
and i don't think jurassic park is comparable to tfa, one relies on callbacks and nostalgia, the other assumes it and flips the old premise in a new way, although without a consistent atmosphere and vibe in the same as JP
>>
Of course he did, the critics consensus was positive
>>
>>72027112
That's your defense? "This movie isn't bad because Marvel movies are worse!"

BvS was more pretentious bloated garbage from moronic Zack Snyder who couldn't direct traffic.
>>
>>72027200
After years of this, only retards still understand Armond as >le contrarian to the most upvote opinion guy
>>
>>72025721
>yet another misogynist manbaby who hates women
feminism is code for white woman privilege
>>
>>72018308
Goddamn.
>>
File: laughinggirls.jpg (11 KB, 238x212) Image search: [Google]
laughinggirls.jpg
11 KB, 238x212
>>72027058
>tfw the pleb filter works
hahaha stupid af marvelfags
>>
>>72018242
Wow so I guess it must be at least ok
>>
>>72027953
it is
I don't care about the politics behind the scene, everyone in the theater was laughing very consistently. I can't remember the last time a comedy did that.
>>
File: 1441003712363.png (737 KB, 1293x1407) Image search: [Google]
1441003712363.png
737 KB, 1293x1407
The problem is that the biological function of humor is to verbally signal intelligence for breeding purposes. Once you understand this, you'll see why the dynamic of the movie is fundamentally repellent.
Straight men will find zero interest in the lead actresses, because they're all unfuckable in appearance or demeanor (funny is irrelevant).
Straight women will find zero interest in the lead actresses, because women are disingenuous in how they empathize with other women. Consider the ugly-but-smart vs. pretty-but-dumb trope and how women might hypothetically relate to two characters like this. Which one would they rather self-insert as? The answer, of course, is neither. Notice how the populist depictions of female power fantasy are all transformative (Mean Girls, Pretty Woman, The Princess Diaries, etc...). This is because unlike men who reconcile individual strengths and weaknesses within the dynamic of co-operation or competition, women always want to have their cake and eat it too.
Feiggot's casting of sheboon and fatty is one of the most misplaced attempts at virtue signalling I've ever seen. If the new GB team were all depicted as stunningly beautiful with few character deficits (acceptable deficits for a woman ironically include 'no sense of humor'), and the Chris Hemsworth character started off as undesirable but became a Chad after he gets possessed, this would have had much broader appeal, had the same core substance of 'muh strong womyn, don't judge a book by its cover' and been much more successful.
White's social justice critique aside: given that there is no incentive to invest emotionally in the characters or setting, there is nothing here for an audience to enjoy. This is a movie that not only fails as art, but also fails as pure entertainment schlock.
Feig on suicide watch.
>>
File: 1468437275247.gif (2 MB, 286x400) Image search: [Google]
1468437275247.gif
2 MB, 286x400
>>72018308
BLOWN THE FUCK OUT
>>
File: will he now.png (42 KB, 1087x161) Image search: [Google]
will he now.png
42 KB, 1087x161
>>72018242
Yay! I can finally post this!
>>
>>72028213
OOOooo so risky, you said something anonymously and got it right with a 50/50 chance.
>>
why does /tv/ rate this guy's opinion so high?
>>
>>72028261
Nah. That actually wasn't me. I just saved it because I knew that whatever happened someone would end up being wrong.

Now let's just relax and laugh at how wrong this asshole was.
>>
File: 1426656945029.png (141 KB, 239x250) Image search: [Google]
1426656945029.png
141 KB, 239x250
>>72028261
>Armond hates Paul Feig's political posturing. He will never like this.
>White's review talks about how he hates Paul Feig's political posturing and how he doesn't like the movie
>YOU WERE RIGHT BY CHANCE IT'S 50/50 YOU ANONYMOUS TROLLER YOU DIDN'T EVEN TAKE A RISK

Holy shit I've never seen someone blow themselves out so thoroughly.
>>
>>72028261
I guess you lost money to that anon
>>
>>72018308
>and black sidekick (Jones)
Fucking kek.

But seriously, didn't someone once say never to use a ten-dollar word when a ten-cent one will do? This guy is awfully sesquipedalian.
>>
>>72028362
He's a great writer and always offer entertaining insights and on occasion thoughtful points. And BTFO people like a master.
Of course, newfaggots and memelords who read his name or his reviews when they're in the latest big movie event on this board will have the usual stupid opinions about him.
But anyone interested, can easily discover AW is by far one of the most talented writers on film living.
>>
>>72028079

what is an untransformative power fantasy
>>
Le Gay Black Contrarian Man does it again, the absolute madman.
>>
>>72028609

except he is fucking boring when he actually believes in what he writes, as seen in his unremarkable criterion collection essays. it is easy for him to be an edgemeister because he writes (national review lol)/wrote (nydaily lol) for publications of little worth but the moment he actually gets a proper editor and someone keeps calling out his bullshit, he becomes a non-entity
>>
>>72025241
>faulty script
how?
>>
>>72028781
Wow, such wittiness and intelligence
>lol
>lol
I'm utterly btfo, surely
>>
Armond White doesn't do top ten lists anymore.

However, he used to and here they are:

http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~ejohnson/critics/white.html

How does his taste stack up?
>>
File: 1463634953467.jpg (91 KB, 1591x784) Image search: [Google]
1463634953467.jpg
91 KB, 1591x784
>>72019588
J&J is Sandlerkino
>>
>>72029360
His last article included a mid-year recap of the best so far:

Batman vs. Superman rejects progressive-era hero worship as conflicted mythology.

Beautiful Something looks for passion behind identity politics.

Chevalier finds ego-campaigning even in interpersonal rivalries.

Eddie the Eagle gives speed and feeling to real-life determination.

Eisenstein in Guanajuato salutes the great radical cinema artist on his own terms.

The Finest Hours rediscovers modern heroism in the values of the forgotten past.

Knight of Cups makes a moral assessment of contemporary corrupt Hollywood.

Love & Friendship, a comedy of millennial manners with a Regency twist.

Miles Ahead salutes the great radical jazz artist on his own terms.

The President dares hold a mirror up to despotism.

Sunset Song searches the soul of patriotism.

Standing Tall movingly connects a white at-risk French youth to the West’s at-risk future.

Valley of Love probes forgiveness through unconditional parenting.

Wiener-Dog explores the complexity of human will through tragedy, humor, and metaphor.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/437602/mermaid-slapstick-high-romance?target=author&tid=1152026
>>
>>72029796

his best thinkpiece is probably Why The Coon Bots in Transformers 2 Were Actually Good, And Cool, And Owning The Hidebound Hollywood Libs On The Reg, And They Are My Friends, Also
>>
>>72029796
One of the best.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/432325/knight-cups-terrence-malicks-cinematic-prayer
>>
>>72029796

Okay, this guy is clearly a patrician.

Why does he like Michael Bay and Spielberg so much?
>>
>>72018242
BASED.
>>
>>72029939
>How awful was the Oscarcast? Several people told me they would never watch it “ever again.” To maintain NRO civility, I’ll just say it was a perfect foretaste of hell — what the world will be if liberals have their way. Reducing everything to political correctness — a social goal for some — leaves no room for honesty or true diversity. But conformity has its benefits: It exposes the inanity of PC cheerleaders.

>Host Chris Rock, long favored by black and white race hustlers, took to his undeserved role as court jester like Topsy. Rock’s undistinguished film career has been supported by no less than Steven Spielberg, seen grinning in the loges. As always, Rock said everything white liberals want to hear — both black griping and black unreason. He set the pace for an evening of aggressive political grandstanding.
>>
>>72018339
>Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte
>not The Killing of Sister George
stopped reading right there
>>
>>72029991
He sees an authenticity in their work.
>>
>>72030127

His best point here:

>Rock repeated his shtick of interviewing ghetto moviegoers who were ignorant of mainstream film culture — another “diversity” point that could equally have been made with fanboys, Amish, Mormons, immigrants, or elderly folk.
>>
>>72022263
So what I go on Reddit... Grow up dude, this is a public board for anyone, not your personal space for misogyny and other dumb shit... Jesus Christ..
>>
>>72018242
GOD ALMOND
>>
>>72019894
The critical consensus is it's an okay movie, which gets upgraded to "pretty good" because critics agree with the politics.

Thus, to be contrarian, dock points for the politics and call it shit.
>>
woah
>>
HE HATES IT.
>>
>>72018242
Armond transcends hate. He gives movies what they deserve.
>>
>>72033333
>>
>>72018339
I doubt Armond is boring enough to like half the garbage on that chart. La nuit fantastique? Really?
>>
>>72029991
Bay has two movies on the criterion collection and capeshit movies copy his work.
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 283x316) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 283x316
>>72018308
>romantic dingaling (Wiig)
>plus-size clown (McCarthy)
>butch brainiac (McKinnon)
>black sidekick (Jones)
>Chris Hemsworth as an unfunny beefcake version of Old Hollywood cheesecake

Bravo

Actually calling out this shit commercialism dressed up as social change.
>>
>>72033399
>getting a full house while checking for quints
You didn't deserve that, nigger
>>
>>72028375

Yeah, it was pretty obvious that he'd go in that direction. Just read his reviews of feigs other shit.

Shame that anon won't get his well earned winnings.
>>
>>72030756
How much does it suck to have two hours go by, and only get one (you)?
>>
>>72018339
Where's Man of Steel? That film made me kino really hard.
>>
>>72019692
His review for the gay site was fucking amazing
Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.