[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was it rape?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
So, in the director's cut I feel it's painfully obvious that Deckard is a replicant.
One of the defining traits we see of the replicants is "immaturity."
They're just a bunch of lost and confused kids who deal with their emotions in innappropriate ways.
Leon is the most obvious example, but the others show signs too.
Basically, they're just a bunch of turbo autists.

Deckard, likewise, is also shown to be a turbo autist.
I think the scene in which Deckard "forces" Rachel is a sign of that.
His behavior is primal, offensive, and childlike.
Rape is pretty immature- and it was practically rape.

Yet, online, I see so many people say- "Oh, she really wanted Deckard, but needed to be forced."
Or, "Deckard knew she wanted him, so he was justified in his actions."
I think that's pretty bullshit, I think Deckard just didn't care.
As such, there's a level of childlike innocence in his actions, much like when Lenny kills small animals in Of Mice & Men.
Still rape and still deplorable, but the movie shows that the values and societal "structure" of replicants is alien and removed from humans.

I think this idea is backed up by Roy's dialogue when he breaks Deckard's fingers.
"This one's for Zhora, this one's for Priss."
He never mentioned Leon. He didn't give a fuck about Leon.
He most likely was banging Priss AND Zhora.
Roy had established himself as the dominant "alpha male" of the pack.
This implies once again, very primitive, animal-like behaviors among the replicants.
This can also be seen by the howling Roy does during the fight scene.

Iunno, that's my interpretation of it and I think it adds depth to the film's discourse.
How did you guys feel about the scene?
>>
She expressent consent.
Also, she's a machine.
So no.
>>
>>72010045
>children act like autists
ok
>>
They were supposed to be really young, so yeah they're gonna be immature little shits.
>>
Ford is in the sequel, so...
>>
>>72010322
Nigger, when the fuck did she ever express consent?
She was clearly terrified and only doing it because Deckard was literally LICENSED to kill her.

>>72010371
Have you ever actually hung around a child?
Most of my friends are parents, I've seen them interact with their kids, and yeah, very young kids are weird.
Just like the replicants, they don't have their "societal programming" yet
>>
>>72010473
I actually have been around children and I worked with autstis. Kids are weird but they are unable to "hide" their emotions while autists are unable to express them (for the most part). It's very, very different.
>>
>>72010507
Alright, I'll give you that.
I seem to have conflated the two ideas.

However, to re-qualify my original point- replicants weren't emotionally well adjusted.
My use of "turbo autist" was meant to convey this idea.
My point still stands, although I've made an error in the validity of my examples.
>>
>>72010045
Decard only killed women in this film, Roy is the true hero
>>
>>72010606
>However, to re-qualify my original point- replicants weren't emotionally well adjusted.
Well I am going to watch the movie soon again and I'll keep this in mind. Tbh I like the movie but not because of the plot but more for the world-building and the visuals.
>>
File: 1436836668160.jpg (313 KB, 2831x2000) Image search: [Google]
1436836668160.jpg
313 KB, 2831x2000
>>72010045
It was not rape. She literally didn't know what to do on her own, and was simply intentionally avoiding him while denying her feelings for him because of her insecurities, so he simply would not let her give up, or give into pride, and insecurities.
It was actually a romantic scene in which he refuses to give up on her.
>>
>>72010650
To be fair, Zhora was actually built for killing, unlike Priss.
Priss didn't stand a chance, the only way she would be able to survive was through trickery and infiltration, which she did well.
The fact that Deckard was able to find and hunt down Zhora though is pretty impressive.

Kind of disappointing that the movie makes him out to be mostly a lucky chump though.
Then again at the same time, it's kind of refreshing to see a protagonist like Deckard be so vulnerable.
His job title implies a near perfect level of professionalism, however we hear that the other Blade Runner failed, and see Deckard get his shit pushed in many times.
It builds up the idea of Blade Runners actually being a very short lived and vulnerable bunch compared to their targets.

Also the fact that Deckard was able to withstand some of the shit that happened once again speaks to the nature of him being a replicant.

>>72010708
>world-building and the visuals
That's exactly why I re-watched it.
I remembered the original release and thought, "man, this movie is so cut and dry, it's so shallow to any true cyberpunk fan, all it did was set the aesthetic"
But the subtly in the acting, as well as the wonderful filmography and symbolism surprised me.
The Director's cut does a great job at keeping plot elements open and only implying ideas.
Because of this the plot ended up being a lot more interesting than I had originally remembered.
>>
>>72010845
desu that still fits within my proposed narrative.
Rape isn't quite "black or white," it only is by our society's standards.
Look at animals. Animals rape other animals. The animal being raped doesn't necessarily enjoy it, but also may not necessarily dislike it.
Someone could "want" a person, yet still be "raped"
Obviously she did like him to some extent, given that she stayed in his flat after the fact.
However, this still only speaks to the immaturity of both of them and their primal animalistic nature.
They don't have the societal programming necessary to fully understand rape as we know it from a cultural perspective.

tl:dr; She may have wanted it, but she was still raped, but it wasn't quite rape. Depends on your definitions of rape from a cultural perspective.
>>
>>72010919
>primal animalistic nature.

So is eating, using a toilet, and so on. We are not inanimate static objects. We survive on the basis of our own chemical exchanges.
DESU, I'm rather disappointed the importance our body's chemistry plays as important role in emotions. We're not simply machines responding to thoughts, sights, or words.
So far I've never seen any movies, or fiction to address this issue except for Data getting drunk on Star Trek: TNG, but that seemed as if a mistake.

We humans rely on chemical exchanges through sensations of touch, taste, smells, sounds, and more. These sensations play an important role in our emotional connections which has never been exploded in fiction of artificial life forms, to my knowledge.

>she was still raped

Once they start kissing, and it is mutual, it is no longer rape.
>>
>>72011105
Here's the thing though- Replicants ARE affected by their chemistry.
It explains Deckard's behaviour in this scene.
All of the Replicants are receiving inputs from their surroundings which are causing chemical reactions and affecting their behaviour.
They have a very bad time of "ignoring" these impulses.

It is through thought, discipline, and understanding how the human body works that people are able to overcome or compensate for the crude biological nature of the human body.
It still isn't always possible, but some people do try their hardest to perfect themselves as machines which respond to thoughts, sights, and words.
>>
>>72011222
Deckard's not a replicicant. That dream sequence from with the unicorn was taken from Ridley Scott's other 80's movie Legend, and put into the Director's Cut in the hope of selling extra copies on video.

Don't fall for that. Philip K. Dick's original novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Deckard was NOT a replicant.

>crude biological nature of the human body.

There is nothing crude about basic bodily functioning. Tell a bee how selfish it is for wanting so much nectar if that's the case.
>>
Of course she's not going to say no.

Because of the implication.
>>
>>72011222
Also, you have to understand that in each new edited version the studio kept changing content more as a fan service, despite consistency of story.

In the original Deckard's monologue is solid from beginning to end. In the Director's Cut, Deckard's narration was completely remove, and in the Final Cut, some is put back at the end when Roy Batty dies.

Personally I liked the Director's Cut when after killing Dr. Tyrell, Roy apologizes to JF Sebastion, for killing Sastion's friend Dr.Tyrell.
Roy really did not plan on killing Dr.Tyrell. Roy really did want a cure to stay alive, but when he is told it is not possible Roy is over come by rage at his creator.
Roy's apology to Sebastion was removed from the Final Cut version. I wish they hadn't.
It showed that the replicants really did have compassion, and weren't perfect.

Since they were artificial it would seem irresponsible to create replicants allowing them to be susceptible to chemical influence. Their artificial lifeform parts were a closed system that didn't allow for disease, unless they were tampered with to extend life.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.