[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LMAO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: IMG_1726.png (692 KB, 1312x988) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1726.png
692 KB, 1312x988
LMAO
>>
Heh, nothin personnel kiddo
>>
>>72003041
The biggest surprise here is that it ever won an emmy.
>>
>>72003041
Poor Noah

The issue is that he wasn't a political comedian. He was just a regular comedian who didnt care that much about US politics, and then he fucked it all up

By trying to bring politics into his comedy, instead of making politics funny, he made his comedy unfunny

Five years from now he'll be the new JUST
>>
>>72003041
>pander exclusively to liberals
>affirmative hire black guy with no delivery
>wonder why your shit sucks
>>
File: 6irofS5.gif (970 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
6irofS5.gif
970 KB, 500x372
noah is a fucking asshole , he talks down on every as if africa is so good, hes worse then john oliver with his "really america" bullshit

>comedy central when
>>
It's an election year, and you notice how The Daily Show is completely fucking irrelevant?
>>
File: 1436252558681.jpg (155 KB, 1024x708) Image search: [Google]
1436252558681.jpg
155 KB, 1024x708
>>72003041
RACISM
>>
>>72003041

I never liked Trevor's comedy style.

I remember I fell asleep during one of his specials because literally all his jokes were more or less

Africa is like this...

and america is like this... culture shock amirte?
>>
>>72003321
yep
remember in 2012 how every peep out of colbert/stewart's mouth would end up on the front page of le rebbit but have yet to see any daily show related shit pop up

Shame! It's like another Noah!
>>
I guess smug African face can't compete with smug Jew face
>>
Why didn't they hire John olivier? This African dude can't carry the show.
>>
>>72003384
Snagged by HBO first.
>>
>>72003321

I don't think anybody gives a shit anymore. colbert isn't getting ratings either.
>>
>>72003384
I'm guessing HBO was a better offer than Comedy Central.

Oliver is obnoxious, but his Daily Show would've been 1000X better than Noah's.
>>
>>72003041

cause jon hit both sides, and tried to be as lease bias as possible. (even though most of the time he was far left)
>>
So can CC just not cancel him and Wilmore.

I mean its not like anyone is watching.
>>
I unironically like him more than John Stewart. He's less of a dumb smug liberal and I like his stories from Africa.
>>
>>72003084
This, I genuinely like his standup but his hosting is sooooo bland.
>>
>>72003470
conceded. He's still not funny.
>>
File: jon-stewart.jpg (1 MB, 3658x2634) Image search: [Google]
jon-stewart.jpg
1 MB, 3658x2634
Miss me yet?
>>
>>72003429
Stephen Colbert as a caricature of Bill O'Reilly was hilarious.

Stephen Colbert as Stephen Colbert? Not so much.
>>
>>72003490
Neither was Jon Stewart though.
>>
>>72003512

cus he got fucked over and his old writers got the axe I think.
>>
File: 461796278.0.jpg (111 KB, 1280x854) Image search: [Google]
461796278.0.jpg
111 KB, 1280x854
Was this nig nog show nominated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy7GOO7Y96Y
>>
>>72003468
Then what would they have? South Park?

Something is better than nothing.
>>
>>72003552
Wilmore, astoundingly, is even LESS funny than Noah. The Nightly Show is going to get canceled any day now.
>>
>>72003558
>Something is better than nothing.
It isn't when nobody is watching the nothing. Hire some better hosts for one.
>>
>>72003558
Broad City, motherfucker.
>>
>>72003535
How did he get fucked over? He knew he would never be allowed to play that character on The Late Show but he took the job anyways. When he's not satirizing he's just not funny.
>>
>>72003612
I know that's a joke, but it's not a funny one.
>>
>>72003598
With the political climate right now, and who these shows pander to already, replacing them could be a PR disaster.
>>
>>72003351
>culture shock amirte?
I know, in Africa men rape infants to try and cure themselves of AIDS but in America you guys have to PAY TO SEE A DOCTOR. Why do you put up with that?
>>
>>72003504
Every day Mr. Leibowitz
>>
>>72003552
Didn't he make a buffoon of himself at the White House Correspondents Dinner?
>>
>>72003351

he was on opie and anthony once and he was terrible off the cuff, really bad
>>
>>72003701
Told Obama he was his "nigga". He's too white to do that, first of all, and no one should be referring to the POTUS as "nigga" in the first place. It made everyone uncomfortable and he looked like a fool.
>>
>>72003384
>Why didn't they hire John olivier
Wasn't John Oliver a literal who D-List British talk show host before he got his gig?

Why would they hire him?
>>
>>72003780
He's also 50.

Obama, too. Fucking ponce.
>>
>>72003780
Christ. I don't care if you replace it with an 'a', you don't call the President a nigger.

At least not to his face. Tact.
>>
>>72003384
Because Oliver signed his deal with HBO before Stewart left
>>
>>72003429
Colbert's show was actually run by Jon Stewart (he was the producer for both shows), that's why he's flopping so badly on his own.
>>
>>72003815
>>72003827
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzMgCeVmQ-4

It's really awful...
>>
>>72003504
I still miss Craig Kilborn tbqhwy famalam
>>
>>72003558
Cancel them and try something new. You don't just keep a show running when nobody is watching.
>>
>>72003785
>Wasn't John Oliver a literal who D-List British talk show host before he got his gig?
No.

Oliver was the best of the "new" daily show corespondents (ie. not colbert, carrel, cordury, helms, etc.) and was 2nd after Stewart for a number of years. He even filled in as host for months while Stewart directed a movie.

He probably would have been given the show but signed with HBO instead.
>>
File: obama-laughing-800x430.jpg (67 KB, 800x430) Image search: [Google]
obama-laughing-800x430.jpg
67 KB, 800x430
>>72003780
>and no one should be referring to the POTUS as "nigga" in the first place
>implying POTUS means anything symbolically after President "If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon" Selfie made an absolute mockery out of the office
>>
>>72003084
The shittiest thing is to watch him shill Comedy Central's agenda. It's brutally apparent he doesn't give a fuck.

Why can't political satire be political satire? Why does it have to be "lol fuck democrats" or "lol fuck republicans".
>>
>>72003936
Wilmore will probably get canned soon enough, but The Daily Show is a brand, and canceling it for something brand new would be a risk.

Problem is, could you imagine the stink Noah could cause if the execs tried to pressure him to leave?
>>
File: 1467951176120.png (84 KB, 186x232) Image search: [Google]
1467951176120.png
84 KB, 186x232
>>72003906
>>72003827
I guess it's supposed to be some misguided attempt at solidarity, but the President is the First Citizen. He stands for all of his constituents, not just those of his race.

>>72003958
>If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon
Black people confirmed for all looking alike?
>>
>foreigner criticizing their adopted country
>doesn't get nominated for award
then why does it work for John Oliver?
>>
>>72003939
>best
Jason Jones was much better than Oliver
>>
>>72003639

No he got fucked over because he was told he could move over to the tonight show and keep his writers.

He kept em for a while but then some exec axed em for some other crew or whatever as a favor to a friend and fucked over Colbert.

Now he is working with shit writers and his show is mediocre at absolute best.

He hates his job now.
>>
>>72003994
didn't noah commonly make fun of jews before joining the daily show? i'd imagine a lot of his humor is cut back so the liberal overlords are pleased
>>
>>72004032
John Oliver shits on Britain though. Noah thinks South Africa is great, or would be if they got rid of the whites.
>>
>>72003994
It can't be anything but partisan satire because producers and ratings
>>
>>72003780
Is there a vid?
>>
>>72003552
Let me start by saying I fucking hate reddit. But god damn, did I feel sorry for Bill Nye for putting up with that fucking bullshit.
>>
>>72004032
Say what you will, but I have actually laughed at John Oliver's stuff.

It doesn't always hit, but he's hit at least enough for me to understand the appeal. Noah and Wiltmore just aren't funny enough.
>>
>>72003041
>emmy being worth something
Lmao
>the jews nominating a show with a non-jewish host
In your dreams maybe
Lmao
>>
>>72003906
I have never heard this guy speak before, he's more nasally and white sounding than any white person I've ever seen outside of nerd stereotypes.
>>
>>72004003
>could you imagine the stink Noah could cause if the execs tried to pressure him to leave?
Very little. He was totally unknown by mainstream America before getting hired and was only known for mediocre standup among those who did recognize his name

What's going to happen? Will people boycott the highly anticipated new season of South Park because a floundering host got the boot?
>>
>>72003187
Nah, Stewart pandered only to liberals and the show was consistently good day in and day out.

>no delivery
that's the key. Being from South Africa, his way of speaking is obviously not an American style, which affects you when you're trying to deliver jokes.

Personality was also a factor for me. I used to watch TDS religiously, but dropped it shortly after Noah took over. Stewart had been doing the show (or something similar) for decades. It felt like he knew members of Congress personally (some of whom he actually did know because of interviewing them multiple times), and he was following the ins and outs of American politics for so long that he could bring a great deal of context to the issues of the day. Noah comes off as a foreigner who doesn't really get it, and is just an SJW mouthpiece for hack hipster writers. He was chosen because of his race and his age, at least that's the way it seems
>>
>>72004003
A brand that nobody is watching. If a show is getting shit ratings advertisers get hesitant about paying for ad slots. If advertisers pull out they'll cancel that shit.
>>
File: 1463378862545.png (62 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1463378862545.png
62 KB, 250x250
>>72003994
It's simple demagoguery, anon, or what's been the single facet of every peace time election.

Liberals and conservatives only want to hear about how the other is a goddamn buffoon.

The moderates of both parties would sooner embrace their extreme ends than come to terms with each other, because of how deep their partisan allegiances tie them to a name.
>>
>>72004071
see
>>72003906
>>
>>72003041
Let's be honest if Noah where white or american he would be getting an emmy,
>>
>>72004032
>>72004058
>>72004093
>John Oliver

Fucking hell, I'm glad we got rid of him and sent him to America, it's a shame Piers Morgan didn't stay over there too though.
>>
>>72004127
>>72004145
The Daily show's audience are primarily liberal, and the public eye right now is focused on racal tension with blacks. It's just something that's happening.

If Noah got removed, and even left an inkling that it could race related, the backlash could be bad.

There'd also be the concern over who they'd replace him with. If it's a white guy, Noah wouldn't even have to say anything.
>>
>>72004032
>why does it work for John Oliver?
Because despite being unfunny 75% of the time and repeating all his jokes he has the ability to be entertaining.

He also captures that same sense of solidarity that Stewart did (shit's fucked: WE need to fix this because it's OUR problem)

Also despite being British he's decidedly American. Has citizenship, lived in the US for over a decade, and married to an Iraq war veteran.

Noah came in out of nowhere and 90% of his jokes are "Wow America thinks its so great but it's so fucked up. You guys sure do look stupid when I cherry pick things"
>>
>>72004199
>If Noah or his writers were funny
Ftfy
>>
>>72003242
I wonder what he'll do when SA finally descends into total chaos.
>>
>>72003084
his standup was pretty bland DESU
>>
>>72004214
>The Daily show's audience are primarily liberal
Their audience is primarily non-existent

It's not just not winning awards. It has terrible ratings too
>>
>>72004214
>Daily Show audience
They're not watching this shit either. That's the problem for Comedy Central. They keep pandering to the left, but even they aren't watching this crap anymore. I can't imagine trying to write for an audience that is so incredibly easy to offend.
>>
File: th[1].jpg (11 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
th[1].jpg
11 KB, 300x225
>>72003906
>crowd eats it up
>obama takes it in stride
>no negative reaction whatsoever contained in this video

you guys really overhyped me on that one
>>
File: 1325387693301.jpg (53 KB, 448x594) Image search: [Google]
1325387693301.jpg
53 KB, 448x594
Is it really that much of a shock when the punchline to all of his jokes are "BECAUSE WHITE PEOPLE AM I RIGHT LMAO"
>>
>>72003558
Is Tosh.0 still a thing?
>>
>>72003994
>it's only political satire if you make the exact same amount of jokes about both parties, because both parties do exactly the same amount of make-funnable things and the personalities in both parties are just as goofy

yeah, why would you even mention Trump or Ted Cruz or Ben Carson or Sarah Palin, when you have a perfectly fine Martin O'Malley to goof on right there?
>>
Political comedy is usually garbage
>>
>>72004273
>>72004296
The thing is, they've already made a statement by replacing both Stewart and Colbert with black guys.

They tried to be progressive, and they failed to make gains on it, but they've already dug their heels in. Comedy Central is in bed with the exact types that would eat them alive if they decided to back down from things.

It's a fuck up, but I think it's a fuck up they can't easily get out of.

It's gonna have to be a gradual thing. I see Wilmore getting the can within the next year or two, and Noah going for a few more, before deciding he wants to "move on".
>>
>>72003041
JUST
>>
>>72004296
They did it extremely well when Stewart was the host. And yes they cater to leftist views, but the real strength of TDS was that they called out idiocy and hypocrisy wherever it existed, it never felt like a Tumblr circlejerk
>>
>>72004384
Hillary Clinton is a thousand times more a lolcow than Trump is if you actually watch her speeches and shit. Shes Jeb Bush level cringe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtlXkJGKwao

They absolutely refuse to milk her tho hmmm wonder why
>>
>>72004391
You make valid points, but ultimately it comes down to money. If the shows aren't bringing in an audience and money CC will cut those hacks loose, and try something new. They'll deal with the leftist backlash that will last a week before they all forget and move onto something new.
>>
>>72004441
That's because the left has just gotten that much more into identity politics in the last couple of years. It wasn't as bad just a few years ago.
>>
>>72004391
Honestly, I hate the Nightly Show with a passion, but Wilmore did have some seniority. I don't know if they offered it to Samantha Bee or Jason Jones, but they could've done better. I think Samantha actually has her own show now, but I've never seen it.

I have no idea why they hired Noah, other than his age and race though
>>
>>72004441
Stewart had the luxury of mostly doing the show when Bush was the potus. Same with Colbert.

Liberal hosts sucking hard when theyre essentially the establishment now.
>>
>>72004323
Does he actually do this? Any montage video? I barely watch his show.
>>
>>72004463
And they won't touch her.

Their agenda is now more important than their comedy, hence the 0 Emmy nominations.
>>
>>72003084

Jon Stewart was in the exact same boat.

If 9/11 didn't happen he probably wouldn't have turned so hard to politics.

Noah really is quite boring though, he tries to do the silly voice thing but it just comes off as desperate and not at all his style. It doesn't help that the well's run dry on correspondents and they're coasting of that fucking Williams bitch and her white boytoy every night.
>>
>>72004508
Noah actually had a little experience hosting a show like this in South Africa for a short time, I'm sure that factored into their decision.
>>
>>72004487
yeah there's some truth in that, but I also think it's an age thing. The people that went through high school and college watching Stewart were the older millennials and they dropped the show when Noah came along.

Now the younger part of this generation doesn't have an attachment to the show and there isn't enough quality comedy/satire in the show to build a new fanbase
>>
>>72004558
>both houses of Congress controlled by strong Republican majorities
>liberals are the establishment

also, Trump would have been more than enough fodder for Stewart and Colbert. It's more about the lack of talent, than the political climate
>>
Also people keep ranting about ratings, but every show on fucking television is being watched less and less because of the internet.
>>
>>72004673
This, holy shit. Trump is, or has been, comedy gold from start to finish. It should be like shooting fish in a barrel, and they've STILL got nothing. It's pretty pathetic.
>>
Honestly, his biggest problem is that he's too good looking. His satire/sarcasm just comes off as smug.

Chud looking guys like Stewert or Oliver "look" the part. Noah comes off as the douchey jock in high school.
>>
>>72004635
I was watching Stewart since bush era and I dropped both him and colbert when they became husks of their former selves. For Colbert it started around 2010 and was finalized when he did that USO show, for stewart it came on a little later.

Both of them by the end were devoting a solid 33% of each episode to corporate Synergy TM.
>>
>>72004721
Also, the age is an issue. Jon Stewart was like a knowledgeable middle aged guy that had been covering politics for a long time (Oliver too, to a lesser extent). Noah is like a guy reading a script of bad jokes about people and issues he doesn't understand or care about.

Plus, they added a bunch of millennial correspondents to both shows. One or two on TDS are funny, but I haven't seen one good correspondent on Wilmore's show. If I wanted to listen to some 22 year old hipster douche with no comedic timing talk about issues he doesn't understand, I would go take a poli sci class at a community college
>>
>>72004978

Willmore has some decent correspondents, it's just that Mike Yard or whatever his name is is the only correspondent in 90% of episodes.

Also, that guy who's like a higher up or some shit that also appears in every episode, probably because he's trying to do some self promotion.
>>
>>72003994
Jon was a democrat, but he constantly took democrats to task and didn't just make every joke into "LOL REPUBLICANS ARE EVIL" like Noah does.

Jon cared about the positions, not the brand name. He wouldn't have applauded the sit-in. He'd have fucking destroyed them for political theatrics,
>>
>>72003552
Why are American black people so...white?

Did their ancestors get whited or what
>>
>>72005102
Only ones in the north.
>>
>>72004978
>Plus, they added a bunch of millennial correspondents
I think this is the biggest problem right here... The old Daily Show had older correspondents who seemed like they knew their stuff. The current Daily Show just seems like its filled with a bunch of dumb whiny kids.
>>
>>72005077
The daily show was fully cucked after Oliver took over in 2013 and Jon went to the middle east to shoot some anti-iranian claptrap.
>>
>>72003384
HBO offered first.

Oliver came back to Comedy central before accepting because he was loyal to the Daily Show and Jon had been encouraging him to stay on and host permanently after he left.

But Jon convinced Oliver to take the HBO deal because the paycheck was outrageous and he wouldn't have to listen to Viacom overlords.
>>
>>72005102
Yes.

Most American blacks are partially mixed.
>>
>>72003579
Honestly, I thought his comedy was ok beforehand, if predictable. But man, the show is unwatchable.
>>
>>72004585
>If 9/11 didn't happen he probably wouldn't have turned so hard to politics.

Nah, even without that, the Bush administration was a fucking goldmine for jokes.
>>
>>72005214
Wilmore was the most unfunny dude that show has ever had from day one. His cadence is so preening and irritating he can only have gotten the job in the first place through some grade A blackmail.
>>
>>72005147
Yeah, I mean I'm a millennial, but that doesn't mean I need to see other people my age in my media. If anything it means I know a lot of people in my generation are fucking stupid and have opinions I don't care about. Especially the two wastes of life in this video>>72003552
>>
>>72005247
I dunno, I always found Lewis Black to be more annoying. I mean he has comedy chops, but his voice, his shaking, and his yelling got old really quick
>>
File: 648645646456.jpg (132 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
648645646456.jpg
132 KB, 630x420
>>72003041
Never send a nigger to do a jew's job.
>>
>>72005312
Yeah he had a grating persona but at least his pieces were well written.
>>
#EmmysSoWhite
>>
>>72003504

Honestly yeah. The guy was involved with politicians for so long that after a point he actually understood politics. That's what makes him different from a lot of political comedians.
>>
>>72004701
I'm not so hard on them for that. you WOULD think trump would be easy to mock

but the problem with trump is that no host is capable of being funnier than trump

so you TRY to make fun of him, but the audience is laughing more at trump's speech than they are at your comments making fun of him

it's almost as if trump is impossible to stump
>>
>>72005102

My ancestors were very busy with the slave poon, god bless em.
>>
>>72003041
DAS RACIST
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X93u3anTco

Remember when Colbert fucking murdered the president of the United States of America on stage and everyone just laughed?
>>
>>72003552
>>72003579

I liked Larry Whitmore on The Daily Show. I mean he wasn't great but he had a lot of good segments.

But boy is his current show unfunny.
>>
File: ....png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
....png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>72003504
i'm empty without you lebowitz-senpai

please come back to me
>>
File: wonderful shilling.png (309 KB, 620x348) Image search: [Google]
wonderful shilling.png
309 KB, 620x348
>>72005402
How the mighty have fallen.
>>
What was your favorite recurring segment in Stewart-era Daily Show?
>>
File: 1466223532401.jpg (8 KB, 233x200) Image search: [Google]
1466223532401.jpg
8 KB, 233x200
>>72005402
how can a single man be so based?
>>
>>72003083
It was good shit during the first bush term. Very effective at carving up neocon policy. The real problem came when it the show was effective and brought about the cultural shift it wanted, and then still needed to find something to complain about every week.
>>
>>72005402
S A V A G E
A
V
A
G
E
>>
>>72004032

Oliver's show can be genuinely good when it focuses on shit that isn't liberal vs conservative in nature. Things like our infrastructure problem, the smoking industry being even more sleazy than you think they are, even the most recent one on Olympic doping.

His show goes to shit once it starts being about politics.
>>
craig kilborn got the last laugh

daily show is shit
late late show is shit
all of late night talk is shit

please come back Kilby. we didn't realize how much we needed you
>>
File: Latza Laff.webm (1 MB, 750x932) Image search: [Google]
Latza Laff.webm
1 MB, 750x932
>>72003906
His voice was too white for liberals to think that joke was okay, but I enjoyed it. Anyone who calls Obama a nigger to his face can't be all bad.
>>
>>72005442
Toward the end they had those Chaos on Bullshit Mountain segments where they just destroyed Fox News, off the top of my head those were pretty good
>>
>>72005525
Lol fugg that nigga wilmore sounds cringy reading a grocery list, I don't think my sides could cope with direct exposure to him calling Obama a nigger.

What's the exact timestamp?
>>
>>72004701

It reminds me of something Bill Maher said in 2012, where a part of him secretly wanted Romney to win.

Why? Becuase Maher's a comedian and Romney would be our first Mormon president? Are you kidding me, that's a fucking goldmine for comedians. You are basically given free material for 4-8 years.
>>
File: crossfire.jpg (154 KB, 620x350) Image search: [Google]
crossfire.jpg
154 KB, 620x350
>>72005402
Also that time that John Stuart BTFO of CNN so hard that they cancelled Crossfire despite decent ratings right after.
>>
>>72005576
Dennis Miller literally made that joke during the 2000 election about bush.
>>
>>72005554
see >>72003906
its a short vid
>>
>>72005442

Back in Black always got a laugh out of me even if they were a rare sketch. They were some of the best-written segments the show had.
>>
>>72005602
Can't watch the whole thing, its too painful. I just want to hear himsay 'my nigga'
>>
>>72005576
>>72005598
That joke is literally older than The Onion
>>
>>72005402
how many people got fired for this?
>>
>>72005590

It was great whenever he did interviews on other networks and just completely blew out everyone and showed he genuinely knew his shit, it wasn't just good writers.
>>
>>72005402
Remember when leftists were in favor of free speech and were opposed to government action?
>>
>>72005620
last 20 seconds
>>
>>72005680
Colbert's a fucking cunt for the government when democrats are in power. He tried to shit on Assange for the bradley manning leaks because of "Muh innocent CIA at risk"
>>
>>72005402

Apparently this event was why Colbert was sad when Justice Scalia died. Everyone was so dead silent in that speech, except way in the back of the room. Scalia by himself was laughing his ass off during that bit.
>>
>>72003552
That episode right there defines what happened to Wilmore's majority white viewers from Colbert
>>
>>72005716
Scalia was an old school shit talker from NYC. He's an alumnus of my highschool and it was 100% bantz every day there.
>>
>>72005590
This is the kind of shit that made me liberal as a kid. What happened to rational thinking to defeat your opponent? When did liberals become the demagogues? When obama was elected?
>>
>>72005680
They were good times.

>>72005770
Obama winning destroyed the left. After Obama basically just ran things like Bush's third term, the left became a disillusioned mess. The sane ones just sort of stopped caring. The insane ones had a big window to form what became today's SJW with no moderates to stop them.
>>
>>72005770
>This is the kind of shit that made me liberal as a kid.

It's why I'm still liberal, though at this point liberal has moved so much further left that my views today would be seen as centrist.
>>
>>72005770
Whenever leftists aren't in power they do their best to be rational. Most young-ish people today grew up when leftists weren't in power due to Reagan/Bush Sr.
>>
>>72005590
This interview annoys me. Every time the crossfire guys accuse jon of pandering partisanship he just delfects to the old 'were not real news, nobody takes us seriously, the words we say dont count because we say they dont" bullshit excuse. Its completely disingenuous of Stewart to say that the politics are just a platform for the comedy, and then to go on crossfire to argue politics as an authority.
>>
>>72004043
colbert was a failure even before they replaced his writers. it was an attempt to resuscitate the show

colbert's problem was thinking that there was room for anything even pretending to be nuanced or intellectual on late night television.
>>
>>72005402
Bush is such a sad looking man, I feel bad watching this. He's like a dumb kid
>>
>>72005789
Same here, friend. I'm an older Liberal and haven't moved much, but man, the world moved without me.
>>
>>72005814

I grew up under Clinton, but Clinton was not the most liberal guy in the world. The left today would've crucified him for Lewinsky, even though back then we in the left thought New Gingrich was fucking crazy for pushing that trial as far as he did.

>>72005843

He knew. According to people at the White House he was fucking fuming at that speech, he just hid it well.
>>
File: 1446082811511.jpg (36 KB, 599x476) Image search: [Google]
1446082811511.jpg
36 KB, 599x476
And Trump wins again!
>>
Sign of the times.

A lot of us older fags saw the writing on the wall when Obama became president.

It was clear that the show was on the side of the establishment and began to pull punches as the Democrats continued Republican foreign policy.

I would have never predicted that the media would be so blatant in its political correctness. This guy was bland as fuck.
>>
>>72005402
Ironically, people in the room didn't know how to react. It was relatively early in the run of the Colbert Report so not everyone understood the schtick yet. People in the room thought he totally bombed, it was only later that it went viral and became legendary.
>>
>>72005402
how did republicans allow this to happen? How did bushs cabinet and personal assistants allow this to happen? Ive never seen a world leader so openly mocked to their face.
>>
>>72003558
Tosh.0 is still great.
Maaybe Another Period

>>72003612
The latest season was weak as fuck
>>
>>72005851

It's why I like Dave Rubin. He feels like one of the only oldschool liberals who still does interviews and stuff.
>>
>>72005851
>>72005789
Me three. I struggle to call myself a liberal now though.

I'm probably going to be voting Trump, and while most of that is for policy reasons a decent chunk is also out of resentment for what the left has become.
>>
>>72005888
The media, as controlled as it was, was not 100% in the government's pocket back then. Exercising prior restraint would have been a scandal.
>>
File: 1482358723578.png (50 KB, 600x344) Image search: [Google]
1482358723578.png
50 KB, 600x344
>>72005366
He tapped into a great power, a power beyond our comprehension.
>>
>>72005402
This actually hurt to watch
>>
>>72005867
Exactly. Clinton was liberal for the time, but he followed the most right wing administrations in decades. Leftists haven't been in power for long enough for people to forget what they're like when they have power.
>>
>>72005788
Obama didn't kill the left. He wasn't the savior people expected, but he has accomplished a lot. More than Bush, at least. There have always been idiots and radicals in both parties, and those are the ones that get the most attention, but there are still a lot of average moderate liberals. But reasonable tweets by reasonable people don't get spammed to death on this site, only the Tumblr and SJW ones do, so it throws off your perception
>>
>>72005366
Was "Drumpf' seriously the best thing these pundits could throw at him?
>>
File: 184973278532.png (809 KB, 727x825) Image search: [Google]
184973278532.png
809 KB, 727x825
>>72005986
Bullshit, faggot. Have you ever watched a Democrat debate? It's like walking into Reddit's echo chamber.

Democrats are a few hairs away from being the outright anti-white party.
>>
>>72005986
>he has accomplished a lot

The only good thing he did in his entire presidency was reach an agreement with Iran.

Granted that is huge and something he'll probably deserve more credit for than he is going to get, but like Nixon with China everything else he did in his fascist little presidency will be his legacy.
>>
>>72005366
How did that even happen? I remember years ago when Trump would pick social media fights with comedy writers and naturally get destroyed. But now he's unstoppable. Was it just practice, or some sort of Faustian bargain?
>>
File: 1482375252.png (419 KB, 653x549) Image search: [Google]
1482375252.png
419 KB, 653x549
>>72006025
>The only good thing he did in his entire presidency was reach an agreement with Iran.

You mean that absolutely retarded deal that even Kerry said he regretted making? I'm so glad we're funding ISIS and other terror groups, what a fucking accomplishment!
>>
It's threads like this that make me thing the oldschool liberals should've just tried to create a third party since they aren't what people identify with as the democrats anymore.

>inb4 something like the Green Party

yeah no. I'm a union man, Ralph Nader has always supported the union workers and is a man that genuinely says what he believes and isn't afraid to take flak for it, but he and his party are unelectable.
>>
>>72005833
checked. literally watched this vid earlier today (friend was all "DUDE WATCH STEWART DESTROY THESE GUYS") and thought the exact same thing.

stewart's a guy with no substance who can't function unless he's in the position of judging someone else
>>
File: sethy.jpg (336 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
sethy.jpg
336 KB, 960x640
>>72003041
At least he's better than that cringey Seth Meyers fucker on Late Night. He does that "Closer Look" segment where he rips off John Stewart and his ilk because that's how you get YouTube views, and Seth's show desperately needs them because his ratings suck.

He's just like John Oliver, except way, WAY less talented, and literally no subtlety. At least the Current Year Man always feels like political satire, and even when you don't agree with him he can usually deliver a joke well. Seth Meyers just feels so didactic. Every joke feels forced, and every segment ends with him demanding more gun control laws, calling for freer abortion rights, or most commonly, calling Trump a fascist or a Nazi or something.

I've never seen a less funny talk show host. You can always tell the audience is applauding at his political views, not his jokes. And they force out a laugh now and again to be polite. He's the worst host on TV. The only reason we make fun of John Oliver more than Seth is because no one watches Seth.
>>
>>72003701

I don't know it was fun to watch him make fun of CNN and them get all pissy about it.
>>
>>72006074
Eh, if it long-term leads us to swap the Saudis for the Iranians as allies, I'm okay with it. The Saudis are animals.
>>
>>72006074
>>>>implying ISIS and Iran are friends

Israeli butthurt, best day of my life.
>>
>>72006099
>Wow this shit hamburger sucks, let's get this shit sandwich instead.

Fuck Iran and fuck the Saudis.
>>
>>72006095
>I've never seen a less funny talk show host.
I agree with Seth, but you're also describing Jimmy Fallon for me.

Jimmy Fallon needs to fall down an elevator shaft. Late night is fucked.
>>
>>72006095
>calling for freer abortion rights
You mean allowing abortions as the law states
>>
>>72005833
As much as I grew annoyed at him for taking that defense, and he himself admitted during the end of his tenure on TDS that it was a bullshit excuse, he kinda had a point.

I think the quote from him that best summed it up for me was "I'm not trying to be more like the news, I'm a comedian...they're coming my way."

The entire point of TDS was originally to show how utterly fucked up our news was by lampooning it as a fictional cable news show. At some point our news got SO fucked up that a lot of people starting watching goddamn Comedy Central for their news.

So yeah, it's a bit of a deflection, but at the same time if you, as a journalist, have to compare yourself to an obvious comedian to be considered doing your job, you are a failure.
>>
>>72006128
Fallon is a moron who panders to the lowest common denominator, but at least he's mostly apolitical and seems like a nice guy. I'd get drunk with him.
>>
>>72006019
Same in Europe too.

A lot of traditional labour parties have fizzled out into this strange new divide of the "Greens" (the pro-Muslim mass immigration party, young people) and the "Far Right" (EU skeptics, anything the media can label racist). The western world at least is really going through a political shift.
>>
>>72006013
it feels like something Oliver would come up with. If Trump was British the insult would make more sense, because there's still a lingering anti-german sentiment after ww2 and changing names is more rare. So it would be 'haha this self hating immigrant is actually a german in disguise, rumbled!"

But everyone in america is an immigrant, and the majority from german ancestry, and a good deal of them changed their names, including Bernie Sanders' father, so it doesn't work at all.
>>
>>72006074
>Iran funding ISIS
>Ever

holy fuck at least get the groups right.
>>
>>72006166
Fallon is the most boring asshole on earth. Why would you want to drink with him?
>>
It really feels like having only 2 parties is inherently flawed because you have to blanket so much shit that is often contradictory to your own personal belief.
>>
>>72006188
The rumor is he's a hardcore alcoholic and NBC is trying to get him to stop partying so hard.
>>
>>72006198

The problem with multiple parties is all it takes is a bunch of them to team up and then they have a candidate that's unbeatable.

Granted that's easier in systems where the head of state is appointed and not elected.
>>
>>72006019
If you're talking about primary debates, then yes, they are appealing to their base and will be further left in their arguments. But from your other statement I doubt you would like any liberal arguments, moderate or not

>>72006025
>Obamacare wasn't perfect, but it was a step in the right direction
>Repealed Don't Ask Don't Tell
>Saved the auto industry
>Passed the stimulus
>Has lowered unemployment
>Passed student debt relief

yeah what a loser
>>
>>72006198
you don't say
>>
>>72006198
If ever there were a time for a third party to rise, it'd be now.
>>
>>72006188
If you've ever had drinks with hard alcoholics before you'd know why
>>
>>72006238
>all of that bullshit as pros

I didn't think people like you still existed.
>>
>>72006238
>further left = anti white

Thanks for proving my point
>>
>>72006242
Not really. People want a third party candidate. They don't want the SAME third party candidate. I'm not voting for fucking Jill Stein just because she's different.
>>
>>72006238
>>Obamacare wasn't perfect, but it was a step in the right direction
How is mandatory healthcare under threat of increasing fiscal punishment a step in the right direction?
>>
>>72006013
It was more about establishing a rallying cry than an actual criticism. Traditional attacks don't really work with Trump, because his deluded followers dismiss literally all valid attacks as "liberal media bias"
>>
>>72006198
I really feel like this could be the last strictly two party election. Bernie may as well have been one for a while

>>72006229
You would need an even number on both ends of the spectrum for it to work. Again with Bernie, if he ran as the whatever-socialist party he would divide the left and give the election to Trump. Trump and whoever split the right and Hilary wins
>>
>>72006238
>step in the right direction
>literally "pay my buddies in the insurance industry big bucks or I'll sic my goons on you"
>>
>>72006095

he's just made his show into whining about trump like a butthurt faggot. seems like conan and kimmel are the last hosts with any kind of talent.
>>
>>72006291
Drumpf was a propaganda blunder of the highest order, I wouldn't be surprised if his campaign covertly encouraged it themselves.
>>
>>72006242

It wouldn't be a first for America's history. I mean there are so many parties that used to be big that are dead now.

Hell this country is perfectly capable of changing overnight if the system decides to. Many Americans (conservatives and old-school liberals, mostly) will insist that the United States has always been a country committed to free enterprise and that restraints on trade are unconstitutional, if not socialistic. Funny, that didn't stop the U.S. from being one of the most rabidly protectionist economies on the face of the earth until well into the twentieth century. It was not until 1944, at the Bretton Woods economic summit in New Hampshire, that the U.S. (along with most other countries) finally committed itself to the principle of free trade. Prior to that, high tariffs were as American as apple pie, while free trade was something the hated British practiced.
>>
>>72006238
>Obamacare wasn't perfect, but it was a step in the right direction
It's already buckling, slated to crash in November. Also an existence tax.

>Repealed Don't Ask Don't Tell
Who gives a shit

>Saved the auto industry
Big corp bailouts.

>Passed the stimulus
Bandaid.

Untrue as people who stop looking for employment after a certain amount of time count as employed statistically, also new jobs coming in are part-time McJobs, not anything worthwhile.
>>
>>72006238
Yeah, but getting people to stop looking. "Unemployment" only counts people out of work but still looking.
>>
>>72006331
>Who gives a shit
People who support equal rights
>>
>>72006370
The military is not your personal social experiment playground. Fuck off with that shit.
>>
>>72003041
OK I DON'T KNOW IF IT WAS A RACE THANG OR
>>
>>72006260
which one was actually bad for the country?

>>72006271
ok, agree to disagree, my stormfag friend

>>72006285
That's the non-perfect part, but the ability to stay on a parent/guardian's plan until the age of 26 is good because it means you aren't forced to take the first shitty job that's offered to you and stay there for fear of getting sick and dying without insurance. Also, the fact that no one can be denied coverage due to pre-existing conditions is huge.

Personally, I'd like to see the profit motive taken out of healthcare, or at least a single-payer option available, but with neocons in Congress who knows when that'll ever happen
>>
>>72006370
I think Tumblr misses you so why don't you mosey on
>>
>>72006408
Please take your shitposting elsewhere.
>>
>>72006408
>s-stormfag!

Glad you brought such a stunning argument.

You literally said primary debates are about going further left, which tended to hover towards the the anti-white angle.

Remember Hernie Panders' "whites don't know what it's like to be poor" line? That's racial antagonism, no way around it.
>>
>>72006380
yeah you're right the military should only be open to straight, white, anglo-saxon males, between the ages of 18 and 35. Wouldn't want any "social experiments" fucking it up. You know gays were already in there, they are just able to talk about it now, right?
>>
>>72006370
>military
>equal rights
That's not how an effective military functions, faglord.
>>
>>72003041
Nah famm.. Colbert (Letterman's heir) also failed to net an emmy nomination.. While fucking Fallon got the nomination, and also comedians in cars scored one too (same category)... This things are now based around 'how many clicks did it get', rather than the quality of the show. Last week tonight also got a nomination, and you just know both oliver and noah sucks equally, but between them, whose the one millennials share, and write fanfiction about?
>>
>>72006469
>all those qualifiers for service
God, I wish.
>>
>>72006469
Why is your sexuality relevant to serving in the military?

Are you incapable of using a gun unless you declare you suck cocks?
>>
>>72006476
The white male obviously.
>>
Good

This anti-white faggot needs to go along with all other late night liberal talk shows
>>
>>72006408
Do you honestly believe the president has any effect on the economy or unemployment or that he pushes any bills that aren't handed to him by his handlers? See the TPP as one example. Just what this country needed: NAFTA part 2, this time with more restrictions and concessions!
>>
>>72006370
I do, but he's pretty much right on the other things (and there is research to suggest that the military functions better with a more homogeneous membership).

The unemployment stats especially are genuinely concerning to me, because all signs indicate they are only going to get worse. Manufacturing needs to make a comeback pronto, or at the very least we need major infrastructure investment. The next wave of automation is going to decimate the employment figures.
>>
Will he ever recover?
>>
Reddit is saying everything ITT word for word, besides all the niggers in this thread. p cool desu
>>
>>72006551
>he actually goes on Reddit
>ever
>>
>>72006380
>personal social experiment playground
What does this even mean?

>>72006496
>Why is your sexuality relevant to serving in the military?
That's exactly what you haven't answered. If it doesn't matter then it doesn't matter both ways, gay or not.
>>
>>72006588
Israel is a terrorist state faggot
>>
>>72006588
If it doesn't matter, then why did you list it as a great accomplishment?
>>
>>72006581
Hate the layout. Wanted to see what those cucks thought about this it's all 'he tries to hard to pander to college libs, all his jokes start and end with "it's white peoples fault'

I guess even these liberals are sick of the far left.
>>
>>72006441
nice argument

>>72006447
I was referring to your comment about it being a Reddit echo-chamber. And yes that was stupid of him to say, but I also think it was a bit of a gaffe. His larger point was that people of different races, have different experiences in America. I hope you can at least acknowledge the truth in that idea. Personally, I don't see it as anti-white. I don't feel threatened by the idea of others having their Constitutional rights protected.

I will admit the left has their fair share of race-baiters and I won't defend them, but hopefully you can admit that the right has its share of regressive racists
>>
>>72006588
>What does this even mean?

I suspect he means that there are inherent risks in trying to radically change the culture of the defence force, especially through legislative means, and that perhaps the risks aren't worth taking for such an important element of society.

FWIW I think that repealing don't ask don't tell was the right move. A lot of the changes since then are very concerning to me though, in terms of how they might compromise the defence forces.
>>
>>72004585
Even before 9/11, he was shit talking the Bush administration pretty hard.
>>
>>72006633
You're the one insinuating their sexuality is not important and they shouldn't need to be open about it

I said if it's not important, why does it matter if they are or aren't open.
>>
>>72006684
>but hopefully you can admit that the right has its share of regressive racists

Uh, yeah? Everyone's racist.
>>
>>72006728
You still haven't explained how sexuality plays a part in the military.

Does your gun not work unless you're wearing a rainbow pin?
>>
>>72006684
The only regressive thing in politics is white guilt faggots like you and the people you enable
>>
>>72006476
Why can't you simply except that these are better comics and our new lineup is superior?

If you watch Cordon he is innovating in many ways all the time and really changing how talk shows are run with his multi guest format, which admittedly is kinda stolen from Australia, and his karaoke in cars segment which created a cultural craze in karaoke and humanized celebrities.

Fallon like it or not created a new type of talk show, one that incorporates games and silly funny gags and jokes along with good natured interviews that stray from serious topics. Its just a sanitized version of late night. Honestly, I think it was time for Fallon after very bitter shows filled with mockery like Letterman, Colbert, Stewart.

I unironically think that Noah and Colbert whining liberal bleeding heart platitudes in front of a camera do not deserve Emmy's over Fallon and Cordon doing much more innovative and fresh things constantly.

Also fuck Colbert for cultural appropriation of Catholic images and trying to set himself up for some kind of New Pope. He is the fakest Catholic.
>>
>>72006780
>Fallon like it or not created a new type of talk show, one that incorporates games and silly funny gags and jokes along with good natured interviews that stray from serious topics.

That's not new though, that's what Johnny Carson did for 30 years.
>>
File: white people 3.jpg (66 KB, 907x400) Image search: [Google]
white people 3.jpg
66 KB, 907x400
>>72003084
>>72003041

I don't blame Noah, I blame Comedy Central for thinking they can continue The Daily Show without Jon Stewart.

It's like when they tried to replace the whole cast of Scrubs with new faces.
>>
>>72006734
Being for equal rights, and wanting to see minorities protected, doesn't make you anti-white, despite what /pol/ says. Freedom isn't a zero sum game, we can all have rights and acknowledge that racial profiling and illegitimate policing/criminal justice practices are actual problems that are detrimental to society as a whole
>>
>>72006684
>the right has its share of regressive racists
Yes. But the right doesn't hold up that particular moral superiority card. And to be honest, that's what has pushed me away from the left more than anything: the air of moral superiority coupled with just how irresponsibly they lash out. It's not universal in the left, but it's the modus operandi of the radical left to fling shit from their moral ivory towers onto the -ist hordes below them with the justification that they are in the right (it's 2016, come'on!). The shaming tactics, the attempts to stifle free speech, the genuine racism and occasional sexism... it sickens me at the best of times, but I find it much more egregious when it comes from people who are claiming the moral highground, and what worries me is that a lot of talking heads in the media especially, and now a lot of politicians, are catering to what I always assumed was a fringe group.

/rant
>>
>>72006844
>It's like when they tried to replace the whole cast of Scrubs with new faces.

Wait

That actually happened? Did no one take a step back and say "this is a terrible idea and shouldn't even leave the drawing board"
>>
>>72006846
I'll admit there's a racial profiling issue when you admit that blacks commit a disproportional amount of crime, causing the need for profiling in the first place. ;^)
>>
>>72006765
No, but why shouldn't they be allowed to be themselves. It's like banning certain religions or races from military service. It doesn't directly affect your service, but you should have the right to be open about who you are and defend your country
>>
>>72006780
>Fallon like it or not created a new type of talk show
I don't like it.
>>
>>72006846

don't be a criminal nigger and you won't get blasted. why's such a hard concept to grasp for you retards.
>>
>>72006893
So you admit it has nothing to do with the military and it's ultimately the practical equivalent of a Twitter hashtag.

Amazing accomplishment, 10/10 president would Rushmore.
>>
>>72005986
The guy who inflamed racial tensions and wants to avoid calling terrorism "islamic", help fund ISIS, and legitimizes BLM doesn't sound much different from the SJW.
>>
The most surprising thing is that his stand up is funny, but the show is horrible.
>>
>>72006841 Racial profiling detrimental to society? No, it's just sadly very effective when a small minority commits such a big percentage of crime
>>
>>72006949
How funny are we talking? The daily show has made me dislike him a lot, worth checking out anyway?
>>
>>72006370
Guess that makes me a minority within a minority, I'm a fag but I don't have to go tell every single person I meet about how much I love sucking dicks.
>>
>>72006852
A lot of what you said here could actually apply to the right. You mean to tell me pious douchebags like Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly don't claim moral superiority in those matters? They lash out at people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson (who I admit are idiots) for being reverse racists, and they play the victim card, while actively trying to downplay any and all traditional racist acts committed by police.

You sound like a moderate, which is where I'm at too, and as such we have a natural disdain for the extremes, but we probably just fall on different sides in our moderation. The problem is the radicals on both side are the ones that make headlines and shape the discussion, driving people like us further apart than we need to be
>>
>>72006780
Anon, when I said Comedians In Cars I meant the Seinfeld web-show , that while I find it pretty entertaining, it does get quite old after a while (one would think that with so many different guests the show wouldn't lack on material, but the fact is, there are many 'ride alongs' that repeat themselves with the uncomfortable/awkward silences, Jerry being a bit of a dick, or somehow contrarian, it was pretty good the first two seasons, it showed that he was working with people he really connected, now it's just another cash grab, or a way to plug yourself in a way) , anyway I don't really have anything against Cordon, the guy seems actually really nice, and he can manage really well around this A-Stars.. With Fallon I do have a problem, I just don't buy it, he wasn't that good on SNL , and he appeared in crappy movies, now he's literally the biggest star in night television. I disagree with you about how he handles his interviews, it looks pretty much as if both (guest and him), knew they sucked at talking, so they go straight into the quirky-weird-viral thing (lip syncing, dance off, trivia games) and so on, that while I agree with you are light hearted, they just don't convince me. I agree with you on the fact that Colbert should really tone down his political views, but still I would rather see Cordon get the nomination than Fallon.
>>
>>72007065
>while actively trying to downplay any and all traditional racist acts committed by police.

Like what? Because nearly all of the BLM "martyrs" ended up getting shot for pretty good reasons if you actually looked at the court evidence.

Did you know "hands up don't shoot" is based on a complete lie, yet BLM continues to use it as a chant?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.