[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why was he depressed again?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 9
File: philip_seymour_hoffman1.jpg (298 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
philip_seymour_hoffman1.jpg
298 KB, 750x500
why was he depressed again?
>>
>>72002176

Being really rich and famous is hard :(
>>
Too much money
>>
Was he depressed?

I thought he just loved heroin. And who can blame him honestly? It's concentrated earthly bliss.
>>
He died for his art.
>>
The went into the suck zone and never came out.
>>
I knew TV was dumb but i never imagined they would be so ignorant that they don't even know what depression even means
>>
>>72002176
This life is hard
>>
BECAUSE HE DIDN'T HAVE HEROIN!!

ONCE HE HAD HEROIN HE WAS HAPPY!
>>
>>72002218
you ever watch him in interviews or even his oscar speech? dude was a fucking wreck
>>
>>72002176
Heron is one helluva drug!
>>
The master was shit and he was in that awful jlaw flick
>>
>>72002201
this. nobody wants the responsibility of being rich and beloved with almost 0 work
>>
>>72002308
hoffman was the best actor from 2000 - 2008
>>
he was married and falling for another woman

I think he was having problem finding meaning in his life

probably hated himself for using drugs but kept using them
>>
>>72002408
all of this, but with the addendum that when he died, he had been sober for almost a year. it's likely that his death was accidental. he shot up an amount that would be reasonable when he was actively using, but since his body hadn't been exposed to the heroin for quite a while, it was enough for him to overdose and die.

i'm still very sad about all of this. he died the day before my birthday, and was my favorite actor.
>>
File: 1467952354245.jpg (73 KB, 549x548) Image search: [Google]
1467952354245.jpg
73 KB, 549x548
>>72002287
Post some then
>>
more bags of heroin that atoms in the universe
>>
>>72003354
Have you seen him in In Gods pocket or A Most Wanted Man ? He is emotionally a total wreck in both movies
>>
>>72002204
Not enough heroin.
>>
>50 bags of heroin
>needle still in arm when he was found
Come on, this is straight out of a movie when two hitmen get hired to tie up loose ends and sloppily frame a murder. Just comical.
>>
>>72004479
it's like no one has ever seen Michael Clayton
>>
>>72002176
depression is a genetic mental illness it doesn't always have a reason
>>
>>72002176
People kept calling him Phillip Semen Hoffmore
>>
You people act as if you can just choose to not be depressed. It's a chemical imbalance in the brain that requires drugs to heal.
>>
>>72004557
There is practically no evidence that depression is entirely or even partially genetic or just muh brain chemistry. That is propaganda pushed by pharmaceutical companies so they can get you to buy their happy pills and go about life being a robot instead of solving your problems and living a healthy life. In the pharmaceutical industry the majority of the budget goes to advertising, and the majority of advertising goes to doctors and universities who don't even know they're being propagandized.

As for PSH he was likely depressed why most celebrities and most people in general are: a shitty childhood along with an alienated lifestyle which is especially prominent with being a celebrity since no one around you is genuine and you're told you have the greatest life in the world because of all of your fame and money.
>>
>>72004854
No, it's almost definitely not. It's a result of a shitty, psychologically unhealthy life. Drug companies peddle this unsubstantiated lie to sell more shit with dangerous side effects, one of which is suicide.
>>
>I think this heroin is going to kill me. Yep, it killed me. Bummer.
>>
>>72002176
>does movie about contemporary german Statsi and state department fuckery in Europe
>Gets OD'd

Land of the free
>>
>>72004947
Antidepressents actually work though
>>
>>72005037
so does vitamin D and petting a dog
>>
>>72005037
Just because morphine makes you stop feeling your broken arm doesn't mean your arm is not broken.

Also "work" is a bit of a stretch considering they often do not work and have very serious side effects. And when they do "work" they simply stop making you depressed, they don't make you happy or enjoy life.
>>
>>72005088
Are you just being purposely obtuse or do you really not understand brain chemistry at all
>>
>>72004479
50 bags is nothing

if you have the money there is literally no reason not to buy by the brick. if anything im surprised he didn't have more.
>>
>>72002176
some drugs just kill u. u take more and more until u overdose
>>
>>72002176
once you experience the high of drugs like Heroin, every moment you are not high feels like depression.
>>
>>72005431
Now that's just untrue. Addiction is self-medication, a healthy person can enjoy a high without being psychologically damaged by it.
>>
>>72005431
As a former heroin addict this post is bull shit
I feel great on bezos and weed
>>
>>72005527
>I feel great on bezos and weed
>every moment you are not high feels like depression.

>>72005496
>Addiction is self-medication
it's the snake that eats its own tail. You can start using without needing medicating, but once you've started, every use after that IS "self-medicating" because you are treating withdrawal from the high.

>a healthy person can enjoy a high without being psychologically damaged by it.
That's cute. Protip: "weed" high is not comparable to heroin high.
>>
>>72002374
>cutting off his greatest performance
>>
>>72002485
>when he died, he had been sober for almost a year
20 years.
>>
>>72005718
he sucked in magnolia
>>
>>72005122
You really just revealed how little you know about psychology.
>>
>>72005632
No, it always starts as self-medication. There's plenty of people who recreationally do drugs but are not addicted, the ones who become addicted are the ones whose lives are shitty enough for them to feel the need to constantly use the drugs.

>That's cute. Protip: "weed" high is not comparable to heroin high.
Your response is also cute. If heroin really did cause permanent changes and chemical addiction to people who've taken it then everyone who has ever been administered it as a painkiller would be addicted and damaged, when that's obviously and clearly not the case. Especially since medical heroin is much, much more potent and purer than street shit.
>>72005773
That's not an argument. I'm only replying to offer you the opportunity to actually present an argument.
>>
Before he moved on to harder drugs he was Phillip Seymour Huffman
>>
If you figure a way to live without serving a master, any master, then let the rest of us know, will you? For you'd be the first person in the history of the world.
>>
honestly life is fucking awful by itself.
>>
>>72002176

He was contracted for two more Hunger Games films.
>>
>>72005819
So you're basically saying that heroin addiction doesn't exist.

You are so painfully naive. I hope for your sake that your innocent view of drug addiction isn't shattered one day when you try a drug like fentanyl. Good luck kicking that
>>
>>72006046
this
>>
>>72006458
Instead of calling me naive and being patronizing maybe you should try to actually back up your argument. Dependency can definitely exist, but modern addiction is not the result of dependency, it is a result of the addicted people self-medicating themselves through the drug. If your view was correct than all of the thousands of people who have been given heroin in a hospital for a significant period of time would then immediately go to their nearest dealer when discharged, but that is not the case.

Here's a good video of what I'm talking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao8L-0nSYzg
>>
>>72002176

How was he still so overweight if he was a junkie?
>>
>>72002308
>with almost 0 work

You sound like a dumb prole who thinks that anything not involving manual labor isn't really work

>Look at that top actor of our generation, he barely does shit
>Look at that guy playing a violin for New York philharmonic, all he does is fiddle all day
>Look at that guy arguing in front of the Supreme Court, all he does is repeat shit he read in law books
>>
>>72007055

He was bloated with misery and self loathing
>>
>>72007055
because most junkies spend all their money on drugs and can't afford food. if you're rich you can get both no problem
>>
>>72007055
He wasn't a junkie for almost his whole career
>>
I am
-poor
-ugly
-non white
-overweight
-bitter and racist
-smaller than average dick
-single
-kissless, hugless , virgin
-no siblings
-dad died when I was 11
-mom doesn't talk to me
-only friend is computer
-work a $16/hr dead end telemarketing job
but I don't hate myself and have depression when I have a lot of good reasons to do so. Hoffman was a bitch nigga , couldn't handle LE FAME so he kills himself like a dumb bitch. wow life is so hard , you know earning millions. being rich and famous is soo hard :( , the fame got to me man so i'm gonna stick needles full of poison cause IM depressed :(. good ridance , burn in hell you faggot. all your movies are boring as fuck too.
>>
If I could even just live in LA I would be cured of my depression.
>>
>>72005830
Underrated post
>>
>>72007295
>$16/hr
That's pretty good
>>
>>72007295
You may or may not hate yourself and be depressed, but it's certainly obvious you're negatively affected by your shitty life. Hoffman became depressed, you became bitter and hateful, both or you were/are unhappy. Money and fame doesn't make you happy, and oftentimes it leads to an isolation that keeps you locked in a tiny alienated world.

It's never too late to change your life anon. It's never too late to gain happiness.
>>
>>72007648
thanks I needed that , I am making an effort to change my life! Keep the brain positive , and take testosterone!
>>
>>72007744
kys
>>
>>72007295
You have it easy because you don't have depression.
>>
>>72007829
t.dumb teenager
>>72007886
depression for the most part is a meme , unless you had something really horrible happen in your life or just have a horrible life in general than it's understandable. If you are depressed when you are a rich famous actor , you're just mememing out. it just means you're weak minded person. depression is for pussies, it's the weak man's disease. it's being sorry for yourself because you crave sympathy when in fact you deserve no sympathy if you are upset when you're rich and famous. unless he had something bad unraveling in his life , which is not known than Seymor is just a meme.
>>
He sharted
>>
>>72008349
>If you are depressed when you are a rich famous actor

I think he just got too deep into his characters in In Gods Pocket and A Most Wanted Man, if you see him in this movies you will realize that he maybe just acting himself, he was constantly drinking and looking like an emotional wreck. These two characters probably through him in delusional depressive limbo which caused him to actually develop real depressive thoughts. If you watch Hoffman in A Most Wanted Man you will realize what I am talking about.
>>
>>72008349
t. dumb teenager

might be the dumbest thing i've read in my entire life. I hope you get killed in a car accident
>>
>>72008349
are you retarded? like for real because it's ok if you are
>>
>>72004870
>literally any qualified doctor or psychologist would laugh openly in your face

I will never get over how arrogant Americans can be about their own stupidity. Blindly dismissing all medical science because of their own half-assed /pol/ tier conspiracy theory. I bet you think global warming is a shame by "big green" too, don't you?
>>
Why do people STILL think money and fame solve your fucking problems. it's still you. if anything it makes it worse since you have more free time to think about shit
>>
>>72002176

YOU PIG FUCK
>>
>>72007295
>all your movies are boring as fuck too.
In addition to your miserable life, you are also retarded as fuck.

t.
- middle class
- 8/10
- white
- 6'0 177lbs
- optimistic and popular
- 7 inch dick on good days
- girlfriend (hot)
- lost virginity at 15
- dad is bro-tier
- mom adores me
- too many friends, e.g. this weekend I don't know what to do because I can't decide
- 70k/year
>>
>>72008486
>>72008508
angry depressed fags , AWWW LIFES HARD ? IM SAD CAUSE LIFES HARD :(. fucking weak minded pussy faggots . depression is a jew meme , back in the day faggots like you didn't exist which is why our society wasn't filled with this pc bullshit. jews made up the depression meme so they can sell you shitty chemicals like prozac. why don't you go take your prozac you sad little bozo , fucking cookie cutter meme condition "depression" lol depressed. why don't you kill yourself if lifes hard :(
>>
File: IMG_2248.jpg (155 KB, 740x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2248.jpg
155 KB, 740x960
>>72002176
>>
>>72008534
>I will never get over how arrogant Americans can be about their own stupidity.
I'm pretty sure there are idiots like that everywhere. Like the whole "we're tired of experts" thing leading up to Brexit
>>
>>72008670
atleast i'm being honest , if your lifes so good you wouldn\t be posting on tv arguing with retards like me and bragging about how much better you are than me. lol stop bullshitting , I like how you said you're 6'0' cause if you said any higher you knew you would get called out on it.
>defending self-pitying junkie
hoffman is gay
>>
File: .jpg (27 KB, 464x346) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
27 KB, 464x346
>>72008676
DUDE ONLY MILLENIALS ARE DEPRESSED
>>
>>72008349
While a person's mindset is very important when it comes to mental illness, it's still an illness. Just like if you drink poison your body becomes sick, if you have an unhealthy life which contributes to an unhealthy mindset it will produce the outcome of a mental illness. Whether your rich and famous or not, if you drink poison you will become sick; if you live an unnatural, alienated life you will become mentally ill.
>>72008486
That was hurtful anon. Just because he insulted you does not mean you should insult him back.
>>72008534
Another person who insults instead of argues. And I believe the fallacy you have just used is "appeal to authority" with also a little bit of "ad hominem" in there. but I might be wrong.

I never dismissed "all" medical science, I said that the supposed science that depression is muh brain chemicals doesn't fucking exist. Ask yourself: do you have good reason for believing it does or have you fallen victim to a meme propagated by a very power industry to get people to buy their shit? This isn't a /pol/-tier conspiracy theory, it is real life; they spend ridiculous amounts of money advertising to the only people who have the power to prescribe drugs; they give very big donations to the universities who teach those people; and like all giant corporations, they only care about profit.
>>72008676
Anon, I think you should step away from the computer and do something enjoyable instead of shitposting.
>>
>>72008735
>if your lifes so good you wouldn\t be posting on tv
You encounter this shit in the internet so fucking often and it just is not true.
Posting on /tv/ - 4chan - if you got the spare time is fucking hilarious

I'm also from northern europe, so being 6'0 is not anything special here ;)
>>
>>72008744
How about you supply some science saying depression isn't real? Because only saying advertisers makes it a myth also makes the flu a myth
>>
>>72008768
>Posting on /tv/ - 4chan - if you got the spare time is fucking hilarious
I refuse to believe anyone actually has fun here. This whole site is built on cynicism, repetition, and starting fights for the sake of them. You have to be a broken person on some level to enjoy this
>>
>>72008790
The burden of proof is on those supporting the brain chemical hypothesis. Also, I never said depression isn't real, it's very real, and it's not fixed by giving people dangerous drugs to cure the symptoms.
>>
>>72008790
He's a conspiracy theorist. He'll tell you it's the result of his study and investigation and that you should do likewise.

Boy's a bona fide Texas Sharpshooter.
>>
>>72008768
thanks for valuing my opinion , you're watching this thread so you're just as sad as me.
>northern europe
welp that won't exist soon , isn't it daytime in europe? shouldn't you be at work?
>>72008744
depression is just a flag for being a weak minded pussy*
>>
>>72008349
you are so fucking stupid stop posting any time

ive actually seen (unlike you) actual depression take hold of someone
>>
>>72008852
Seeing as you reject that proof as propaganda, you pretty much admit you only care about confirmation bias. Great stuff.

Fuck off back to /x/
>>
>>72008873
Why is depression for weak minded pussies?
>>
>>72008873
>shouldn't you be at work
I can choose to work whenever I want, don't have to go anywhere friendo ;^]

>welp that won't exist soon
But yes, you are correct.
>>
>>72008852
>The burden of proof is on those supporting the brain chemical hypothesis
You could argue that since that hypothesis is so widely believed you would be burdened with proving them wrong, but whatever

>it's not fixed by giving people dangerous drugs to cure the symptoms.
No, you implied it could get fixed at all. Drugs are designed to manage symptoms. Some people can make a life change and feel better, and others need a pill. I won't deny for a second that depression is overmedicated and overdiagnosed but that doesn't mean people that take medication have been conned or are lying to themselves or whatever you're getting at
>>
File: 185257.jpg (190 KB, 694x951) Image search: [Google]
185257.jpg
190 KB, 694x951
He was depressed because he couldn't hold all of the bags of heroin that he bought.
>>
>>72008894
soo you saw a weak minded pussy? oy vey depression is real, if you don't believe it you are being literally hitler!! be a weakminded crying pussy meanwhile we fuck u with our zionist cocks!! you should have told him/her to stop being fucking pussies and accept lifes shitty. told him/her pain will be over once they are dead , maybe you could have given them a rope and helped them out by taking the cowards way out.
>>72008954
ok friendo , lets meet up and have a fist fight . I wanna beat the shit out seymor fans, plus im bear mode black belt judo and i have nigger athletics. im not a cutoff manlet so lets go at it!! then ill stick ma bbc in ur gf's white cock and destroy europe even more
>>72008947
because i dont know , "depressed" people seem to be pussies .
>>
>>72008941
I have no seen you present any proof at all. If there was "proof" and it did originate from the people who would most benefit from it, I'd say any reason person would find that suspicious and hard to believe.
>>72008996
>No, you implied it could get fixed at all. Drugs are designed to manage symptoms. Some people can make a life change and feel better, and others need a pill. I won't deny for a second that depression is overmedicated and overdiagnosed but that doesn't mean people that take medication have been conned or are lying to themselves or whatever you're getting at
There's no reason to believe depression or any mental illness cannot be fixed. Yes, they're designed to manage symptoms, but if I went to a physician and complained about a broken arm, I want him to fix my arm, not send me home with a constantly reoccurring prescription to morphine and then be told that my arm is broken because that's just how some arms are but the painkillers will make it alright. But that is exactly what many, if not most psychiatrists do. Psychiatrists who prescribe the drugs of companies that have put a lot of effort into advertising to them and contributing to the colleges that have taught them. I don't think people are lying to themselves and I don't question the effects of the drugs and how they can possibly improve the quality of life for the person. I'm saying the drugs are dangerous, they do not fix the problem, and they are prescribed and taken based upon faulty reasoning.
>>72009043
Hey anon, maybe you should go jerk off or get something to drink.
>>
>>72009210
i'm just bored , trying to get (you)'s thnx for the entertaining thread . I collected over 10 (you)'s in one thread! only way to do it is acting like a bozo
>>
File: HAHAHAH.jpg (239 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
HAHAHAH.jpg
239 KB, 800x600
>>72009232
very nice
>>
>>72009043
>i subconsciously realised im a retarded fuck who was wrong so im just gonna ironically shitpost now to pretend i never actually cared

is this your mental defense mechanisms kicking in to protect your ego?
>>
I WISH I WAS RICH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

rate my dream home

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8800-Appian-Way-Los-Angeles-CA-90046/95687915_zpid/
>>
>>72008349
>depression is a meme

literally stopped reading right there.

like not just a jokey jokey 'i'm gonna say i stopped but i didn't really' i mean it in a 'i stopped' way
>>
small dick
>>
>>72009285
Depression is still a meme , your (((jew))) doctor studies aren't gonna prove anything goy, you seem pretty triggered. You act like a shill , go back to killing "depressed" loses with Prozac you fucking bozo long nosed like, this guy can see through your thin veil scholomo . Depression is meme ,you're just mad cause I called you out for suffering like a weak willed pussy faggot, calling me retarded but hey at least I'm not a weak minded pussy faggot go take your Prozac goy
>>
>>72009373
literally this not even kidding
>>
You know someone has no clue what depression is and has never experienced it when they think depression is:

A state of mind
A state of physical health
A feeling from lack of physical affection
Something bad happened to them
Someone mistreated them emotionally
Someone close to them died
They have money problems
Lack of exercise

It is literally a chemical imbalance in the brain, you stupid fucks.
>>
>>72009446
what pills balance them chemicals tho
>>
>>72009359
Probably cause you're programmed like the good goy you are. Once someone challenges your meme illness , you disregard an opinion like a dumb liberal. Go back feeling sorry for yourself you depressed faggot , why is it always sheltered western faggots who are depressed? When I was in Kyrgyzstan , a small poor Asian country , nobody was depressed there cause they aren't sheltered western memesters like the goy goy you are
>>
>>72009446
So weak minded? Could just said that , when someone has a disease it usually means a weak body
>>
>>72009446
https://chriskresser.com/the-chemical-imbalance-myth/
>>
>>72009464
Some people don't ever get help, don't have health insurance, the pills make it worse, or don't do much, or the pills add other problems.

There are varying levels of that chemical imbalance and a slew of legit mental disorders. Bipolar, clinical depression, schizophrenia, etc...
>>
>>72002176
Honest opinion? I think he was molested as a kid.
>>
>>72009506
Yes, the brain is a part of the body. And when you have depression, it is malfunctioning.
>>
>>72009518
Nope. It is a verifiable chemical imbalance. It can be measured in a real, quantifiable, scientific way.

Go away.
>>
>>72009446
Stop spreading misinfo. It is not a chemical imbalance, there is no proof for that. I have had depression and never once did I think it was because of my brain chemicals, I knew it was because of my shitty life but I managed to get out of it through self-therapy, not through taking shit that can literally make me want to kill myself.
>>
>>72004557
>dude depression is a chemical imbalance lmao

if it is then show where and what it is. That's right you can't so it's just bogus
>>
>>72009576
Those are some powerful words, perhaps you can show the proof. And remember: correlation is not causation.
>>
>>72009580
>I got myself out of it
Then you didn't have depression.
>>
Sorry guys, dopamine and hormone levels can be tested and quantified. You really are some stupid, ignorant fuckwads.
>>
>>72002176
Chemical imbalance in his brain and a predisposure to addiction as evidenced by his obesity, drug use and obsessive commitment to work.
>>
>>72005037
>Antidepressents actually work though

[citation needed]
>>
>>72009683
No, of course not. I could've only had depression if the only way to cure it was the magic elixir of the benevolent sorcerer.

And no, I didn't just snap out of it if that's what you're thinking.
>>72009733
Yes, they can be measured. That has nothing to do with the chemical imbalance myth.
>>
>>72009733
PROOVE IT HURR HURR
NOT LIKE IT MATTERS
YOUR PROOF IS BIG PHARMA LIES

I WIN AGAIN

Is the response you'll get.
>>
>>72002485
So he only died because he stopped doing drugs.
Wow, really makes you think.
>>
>>72009778
That's a very immature response indicative of someone who cannot logically back up their argument.
>>
http://psychcentral.com/news/2006/11/09/depressions-chemical-imbalance-explained/398.html

"This study by the Canadian-based Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) is published in the November Archives of General Psychiatry.

DepressionDr. Jeffrey Meyer investigated whether brain monoamine oxidase A (MAO-A) — an enzyme that breaks down chemicals like serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine– was higher in those with untreated depression. The results showed that in major depression MAO-A was significantly higher in every brain region that the scientists investigated. On average, MAO-A was 34% higher.

According to Dr. Meyer, “In major depression, higher levels of MAO-A is the primary process that lowers monoamine levels. Having more MAO-A leads to greater breakdown of key chemicals like serotonin.”

It's 2016 retards. We can clone animals. We have broken down the DNA code. We certainly know what causes common forms of depression. Wake up, kiddos.
>>
>>72009764
CBT also works.

But if you did it unassisted, you were low, sad, probably a teenager but not suffering from clinical depresssion.
>>
>>72009803
Welcome to 4chan reddit cuck>>72009810
>>
>>72009446
It's a bit of both. All of those things can contribute the major depression, and there are people who have legitimately gotten better without the use of drugs. Granted that's not the same thing as "talking yourself out of it," it's usually the result of intensive behavioral modification therapy guided by a licensed professional. Granted, most people who do end up getting better use both medication and BMT.
>>
>>72009810
BIG PHARMA LIES HURRRRRR

MUH TEXAS SHARPSHOOTER

MUH CONFIRMATION BIAS

MUH ALEX JONES CHEWABLE MORPHINE
>>
>>72009793
Are you implying that chemical resistance isn't a thing?
>>
>>72009810
that doesn't prove chemical imbalance. it could be that depressed people have more MAO-A due to external factors like emotional stress

if psychiatrist really knew what caused depression they would have a good treatment but they don't
>>
>>72009864
So you are saying that science and medical technology canNOT measure these things?
>>
>>72009896
Are you a Scientologist? You sound an awful lot like a Scientologist. Is that a new trend on /pol/, they're all Scientologists now? It seems when people go full autism on this site, they're usually from /pol/.
>>
>>72009923
No, I'm mocking the cunt who IS
>>
>>72009967
Good.

I don't doubt too many people are diagnosed with legit depression, among other things ... and are prescribed meds way too often because of muh capitalism and muh big pharma, but clinical depression is a measurable disease and can often benefit from the right regimen of the proper drug at the right dosage and cycle.
>>
>>72009810
There was no any argument that a depressed person's brain is different or that their chemical makeup is different; it's all chemicals no matter what. The argument is what is the cause of depression and that study proves nothing other than giving more information of how the brain works.
>>72009818
There are varieties of CBT and REBT that are done by the patient alone. Not all spells have to be cast by your priests.
>>72009864
I'd really prefer if you stopped talking.
>>72009957
Regardless of whether you're right or wrong, you're very bad at arguing. Also, you're very arrogant, and that's going to make people not want to agree with you just based on that.
>>
>>72010023
And of course, in tandem with proper therapy. No doctor said the pills are magic.
>>
>>72002218
This, who hates heroin?
>>
>>72010060
Show us your paper, Doc.
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 297x436) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 297x436
>we got his best performance
>>
>>72010060
I'm pretty sure you still sound mentally ill.
>>
>>72010060
The cause is your DNA, your genetic makeup, the genes gifted to you by your father and mother, dictated that you have this chemical imbalance. Don't confuse real depression with other mental irregularities like post traumatic stress, etc. You don't catch depression and it is not "caused." You have shitty genes and your brain doesn't work optimally because of it. Period.

Are you really this stupid?
>>
>>72010179
To be fair, the exact nature/nurture balance isn't cut and dry. That guy is a moron though.
>>
>>72002201
Not how depression works
>>
>>72008573
Money is one thing, it's proven that money absolutely does contribute to overall levels of happiness (granted only up to a certain amount), but fame, especially with regard to the entertainment industry is a whole different beast. People outside of it like to think that when celebrities are miserable it's because they're spoiled and ungrateful for what they have, but that's not usually the case. It's a pretty common thread among famous people that when you become famous, you start feeling like a fraud. It leads to a tremendous amount of (irrational) guilt. Then there's the facts that you can't go outside and simply be anonymous, you can't tell who genuinely cares about you and who is only there to ride your coattails, you're always have to be "on" because people are always watching you. Plus showbusiness is the most fikle industry in the world. You are under a constant amount of pressure to not fuck it all up because there is always a thousand people ready to take your place. And the people are attracted to the industry aren't always the most psychologically healthy people to begin with. They tend to place their sense of worth in the hands of others, and they also tend to be obsessive and hyper self critical. The rate of mental illness among professional artists are staggering when compared to the general population. It it's that same personality that allows them to have the drive and desire to "make it" that also tends to make them completely fucking miserable.
>>
How did he even make it in Hollywood? he's ugly and has no charisma.
>>
>>72010250
phillip seymour hoffman was a D list actor. no one would recognize that chumknuckle outside of a film
>>
>>72010105
Same to you, doc.
>>72010132
I don't think you're even trying to argue, I think you're just trying to be insulting. Although I can see how the way I'm typing would come across strangely as I am very tired.
>>72010179
Are you really this stupid that the idea of the BURDEN OF FUCKING PROOF is lost to you? If what you said was remotely true then talk therapy along with CBT and REBT would not work because you would just be given a shitty deal that can only be solved with drugs which are so conveniently available.
>>72010227
Why do you think I a moron?
>>
>>72010060
>whether you're right or wrong
Well, are you or aren't you? A Scientologist, that is. And I wasn't really arguing. Just asking a question and making an observation. That was the only time I replied to you, BTW.
>>
>>72004870
>Fuck medical science, it's a conspiracy! You're just a lazy faggot with a shit life and that's why I think I'm better than you!
Literal dumb piece of shit.
>>
>>72010297
He was an academy award winner and one of the most respected actors of his generation. Troll harder.
>>
>>72010314
No where did I remotely say what you just quoted. Work on your reading comprehension?
>>
>>72010358
and you would recognize him in the streets?
>>
>>72010302
Already stated that drugs CAN work but not necessarily because each person's brain is different.

I will break this down for you because you seem really stupid.

Which of the following statements is true?
a) Clinical depression causes a person to have poor life experiences.
b) Poor life experiences cause a person to have clinical depression.

If you choose the right one, congrats, you now understand clinical depression.
>>
>>72010360
It was a generalisation about faggots like you in the thread. Who think depression is some kind of Jewish propaganda.
>>
>>72010358
so was adrien brody and that dudes F list. A - C list are reserved for good looking high box office actors and hoffman was not one get over it faggot
>>
He's been in some of my favorite movies.

I remember really liking Capote when it came out. Haven't seen it since
>>
>>72010388
No, I refuse to continue arguing with you unless you show me concrete evidence of what you're saying.
>>72010417
Work on your reading comprehension m8.
>>
>>72010302
No mate, genuine concern. You sound paranoid at best.
>>
>>72004870
Spoken like a person who has never had MDD. Maybe you've had a case of da blues once and were aable to lift you up by your biddy bootstraps, but that's not what MDD is, friendo. MDD is not when you feel sad for a couple days because you lost you job or your girlfriend dumped you. MDD is laying in bed for months at a time in complete, immobilizing mental anguish wanting nothing but death for no particular reason. It's not something you can get yourself out of without some form of intervention. I've been institutionalized twice for attempted suicide. Medication is the reason I am alive right now. But go ahead, red pill me. Tell me that the only reason I was feeling that way was because I just didn't try hard enough to be happy. Fucking rube.
>>
>>72010471
So you can dismiss it as conspiracy again? Just go back to the echo chamber you crawled from.
>>
>>72010443
Well, he was certainly no Meghan Fox.
>>
>>72010471
>No, I refuse to continue arguing with you unless you show me concrete evidence of what you're saying.
I knew you couldn't answer.

And I already linked to an article summarizing a study.

This science is 40 fucking years old and is nothing new in the medical field. I am sorry you are like 15 years old and just catching on to established facts.

You've been BTFO lad. Might as well just go away now.
>>
>>72010384
Absofuckinglutely. Without a moment's hesitation. Just because you're 14 years old and were not aware of him before he died doesn't mean the man wasn't fucking famous.
>>
>>72010501
>but muh big pharma
>they make my money so they're evul
>>
So no one here has been addicted to heroin before?
>>
>>72010617
that's my retirement plan
>>
>>72010501
Don't bother, bro. People who have never had clinical depression can never understand what it is.

My mom doesn't have a fucking clue either. She just thinks I need more exercise, or to eat more fruit and vitamins, or get more sleep, or get a better job so I can buy more useless shit. She has NO FUCKING CLUE and never will. Like you said, she thinks it's just something you can buck up and pull yourself out of ... because she has doesn't have it herself and therefore doesn't know.

Trying to understand real clinical depression if you don't have it is like trying to understand what it feels like to stick your hand in a garbage disposal if you have never stuck your hand in a garbage disposal. You can theorize, but you will never truly understand until you do it.
>>
>>72010662
Well said, famalam. Hope you feel better.
>>
>>72010478
Yes, it's paranoia to reject a theory without any evidence, especially when that theory is pushed by the advertising of a multi-billion dollar industry who profits very much from the acceptance of this theory.
>>72010501
Please show me where I said that depression wasn't real or that it couldn't be debilitating or that I said it was the depressed person's vault for not being happy. My theory for your condition is that instead of something being intrinsically wrong with your brain is that you likely had intense childhood trauma that possibly continued into adolescence and adulthood.
>>72010525
I never dismissed any evidence as conspiracy.
>>72010537
Show me where in that single article it proves that depression is conclusively and irrefutably caused by genetics.

Here's something supporting my stance: https://chriskresser.com/the-chemical-imbalance-myth/
>>72010662
It is because I've had depression that I actually care about what I'm saying. I want people to get better, I want people to do the thing that will help them get better. I don't care about winning some fucking argument on the internet. I don't want someone taking SSRIs and then fucking killing themselves because it made them suicidal.
>>
>>72010827
>I never dismissed evidence as conspiracy
First line of your post.

Not that guy, but yeah, you seem unhinged.
>>
>>72004870
It's about half of the time genetic and brain chemistry being a result is scientifically proven fact. Drugs almost always help with symptoms as much as a healthy lifestyle would.

>>72004947
Circumstances create chemical imbalances which attribute to depression and depressive personalities. There are different things that can cause chemical imbalances, anxiety, OCD, genetic disposition, socioeconomic backgrounds, etc.
>>
>>72010827
I said you seem paranoid at best. The more you go on the more schizoid and autistic you sound.
>>
>>72010827
>I reject big pharma cause this alt therapy guy said I should. He's not a shill like big pharma. Yes, I buy his books, so?
Every time.
>>
>>72010827
>Intrinsically wrong with your brain is that you likely had intense childhood trauma that possibly continued into adolescence and adulthood.
So what is the treatment then, and how much of it involves body thetans?
>>
>>72007295
>-non white
>-bitter and racist
sort yourself out
>>
>>72010827
>Show me where in that single article it proves that depression is conclusively and irrefutably caused by genetics.
Clinical depression can be caused by high levels of that enzyme in your brain, which break down serotonin and dopamine. The creation of enzymes are dictated by your DNA. DNA tells your body what to do. Every chemical reaction in your body happens because of your DNA. If your body is creating too much of that enzyme. Nothing else tells your cells what to do except DNA.

Are you really this stupid, bro?
>>
>>72010949
These are not conspiracies, the amount of money pharmaceutical companies spend on advertising is fucking public knowledge, it is also public knowledge who it goes to. I don't think you're stupid; I think you're dangerously stubborn and incapable of thinking one second how delusional you are.
>>72010951
>It's about half of the time genetic and brain chemistry being a result is scientifically proven fact.
>scientifically proven fact
Those very words express your ignorance in science. Worst, they're back up with NO EVIDENCE.
>>72010977
I think you mean schizotypical. Since schizoids are characterized by coldness and apathy.
>>72011070
I don't even know who the author is. I do know that his article is very well written and well sourced but you'd rather throw around ad hominems than actually argue.
>>72011084
Talk therapy, specifically CBT and REBT have very good effectiveness.
>>72011179
No, I'm not this stupid bro, I just realize that correlation doesn't equal causation and that the brain isn't unaffected by the outside world.
>>
>>72010827
> you likely had intense childhood trauma
Nope
>continued into adolescence
Nope.

But if that is his theory for what causes depression, what is his theory for what causes Schizophrenia?
>>
>>72002176
>Getting addicted to hard drugs knowing you risk dieing.

I will never understand this meme.
>>
>>72011253
>I think you're dangerously stubborn
Because I don't accept your conspiracy?
>>
>>72007295
$16 hr job....

bro, eat healthy, lose weight, live good
>>
>>72011253
>Corrects me on his diagnosis
Well, at least you know you're mentally ill.
>>
>>72011253
>The brain is affected by the outside world
Fine.
That makes sense.
>CBT helps
Of course.
>BIG PHARMA IS A LIE AND ALL THE DRUGS ARE LIES AND ONE TIME I WAS SAD AND GOT BETTER SO ALL DEPRESSION IS A LIE
Here's where you're a crazy person.
>>
>>72011288
I don't know what causes mental illnesses in general since it's specific to each individual. I don't know why you were/are depressed since I don't know you, nor do I know why anti-depressants worked for you, but I do know the theory the drug companies peddle has no evidence backing it.
>>72011307
Because you ignore important facts and don't stop and think what those facts mean.
>>72011343
I just looked up to see what you were calling me and figured out what you were actually calling me.
>>72011412
That being all you got from my comment says more about your insanity than it does mine. Or at least your lack of comprehension.
>>
>>72010827
>https://chriskresser.com/the-chemical-imbalance-myth/
See, this is what gets me about people like you. Why is it that nearly the whole of the medical community believes one thing, but for some reason you decide to throw in with this one idiot who says something else? It's the same thing with flat earthers and global warming deniers. Is it some kind of ego thing? Like, does it feel good believing that you and your holistic medicine snake oil salesman are the tiny ray of light in the abyss that is the medical community? If his evidence is so irrefutable, why do the vast majority of trained professionals deny it? Why does the scientific community deny it? Are you saying that every single doctor that does not believe this crap is either and idiot or a shill?
>>
>>72011467
>You ignore facts
You posted any? All I saw was opinion backed by an opinion piece.
Also ironic because you yourself are ignoring facts. Posted. Whatever lunatic fringer, you're not worth any more time.
>>
>>72011467
>Your lack of comprehension.
Always the same shit. You're all blind, I see clearly. This guy has it right >>72011530 you're a waste of everyones time.
>>
>you can't have depression if you have money

I guess that explains the suicide rates of developed countries compared to the rest of the world
>>
>>72002176

Alimony.
>>
>>72011467
>don't know what causes mental illnesses in general since it's specific to each individual.
Is the implication here that schizophrenia has nothing to do with brain chemistry? Like, you get bullied in school or diddled by a priest, and then 15 years later you start to experience vivid hallucinations?
>>
>>72011494
Believing the counter narrative makes him feel like a rebel and an outsider. Not a sheeple.
>>
>>72011494
He does not say anything new, he simply gives sources to back up a position held by more than him.

I'd like to answer your questions but I'm tired and I know that whatever I said you're just going to ignore. You're going to pretend I'm some kooky New-Ager with beliefs equivalent to thinking the Earth is flat. You're not going to stop and think what billions of dollars can do to influence human individuals because in your mind, they're more than human. You don't think about who is teaching them, or funding their research or giving them benefits.

I don't know if you are, but you remind me of the kind of people who worship science as the new deity but don't who even understand the scientific method. You didn't take any effort to read that article because you already deemed it some New-Age quackery at first glance. Someone who genuinely loves science would have curiosity, especially curiosity about opposing views.
>>72011530
If you read it you'd know it wasn't an opinion piece and he clearly gives the sources for everything he brings up.
>>72011586
No, it's not that I see clearly it's that I'm capable of reading and comprehending what my opponent is saying instead of just immediately jumping to attack whatever strawman I'm decided to create.
>>72011643
Everything with the mind has to do with brain chemistry. My implication is that people with severe mental illnesses seem to either have or had a very shitty life.
>>72011685
Yes, it is easy to paint me that way, and doing the easy thing is nice but we all like to be lazy. It takes effort to take your opponent seriously and try to understand why he thinks the things he does, but it's much easier to just write them off as a stereotype you've already thought of. Fuck, I've probably done that myself in this thread.
>>
>>72007295

>my brain is the same as everyone else's
>>
>>72011828
Here's that (You), Autist.
>>
>>72008349

Was it ever confirmed that he didn't just wanna get high as fuck and accidentally killed himself?
>>
>>72002176
Hoffman was given a forced overdose by a Scientology thug due to his role in the master.
>>
>>72008534

Why do you think every post is by an American? I've posted thrice from Ireland and you make the rest of us look bad.
>>
>>72008702

Kill me Pete
>>
>>72008702
fucking kill me already you piece of shit cat i replied to you twelve times in the past
>>
>>72011898
Literally all it deserves.
>>
>>72011951
That would explain the scientologist ITT
>>
>depression for the most part is a meme

>>72008702

Kill me Pete
>>
>>72002176

There's really no "why" for clinical depression, at least not in terms of life events or career. It's a medical condition, the reasons for it lay in body chemistry.
>>
>>72002485
They found like 80 used bags in his home though
>>
>>72002176
Expectation-related anxiety and depression
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kFdJfe7fZU
>>
>>72003888
It's almost like he's acting!
>>
File: 1453477143372.png (116 KB, 402x398) Image search: [Google]
1453477143372.png
116 KB, 402x398
>>72002201
literally this /thread
anyone else who says something different, or denies this is a fucking retard. Oh boo hoo my life of barely working and having more money than I'll ever need is so hard you guys just don't understand!
Thread replies: 206
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.