[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The samurai were assholes that went extinct in real life because
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5
File: Last.jpg (68 KB, 458x400) Image search: [Google]
Last.jpg
68 KB, 458x400
The samurai were assholes that went extinct in real life because they were straight up obsolete and incompatible with modern life.

Hell they were dead weight even since the close of the Sengoku period when various warlords had to make up bullshit bureaucratic positions to keep those lazy meritocracy hating welfare queens employed to justify paying their lazy asses.

Any attempt to preserve their way of life via revolt was a hopeless endeavor that was doomed to fail. Plus, by that time they were mostly cosplaying as competent warriors from centuries ago.

The Satsuma Rebellion might as well have been the NEET Rebellion.

Also their warrior code is the worst possible thing that could have been preserved into the 20th century.

If this movie were honest, it would've ended with a title card reading "60 years later" and showing the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
>>
What the HELL are you talking about?

Do you have any idea who I am?

How dare you came in here and spout off with this nonsense. Off with you.
>>
>>71997180
the tokugawas had effectively emasculated the samurai by this point, not their fault really blame the shogunate
>>
>>71997180
*unsheaths katana*
>>
File: 12708392902342.jpg (36 KB, 340x340) Image search: [Google]
12708392902342.jpg
36 KB, 340x340
>Tell me how he died.
>I will tell you how he lived.
>>
weren't they in an awkward position of having a privileged place in society, but not being able to get a real job or acquire practical skills without first leaving their caste and its privilege behind? i guess i can see why they would be shitting their pants at the thought of their protected yet useless position disappearing and forcing them to compete directly with people who had actual marketable skills

the movie paints them in a ridiculous romantic light, but i think a more honest portrayal of their motives and lifestyle would still have been able to make them sympathetic
>>
>>71997180
L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N
>>
and yet England still has knights

why is the west so backwards?
>>
>>71997180

It's true, Hara Kiri is a movie about literally all of this down to the nuclear bomb symbolism at the end. Was just discussing this with a friend recently by chance.
>>
>>71997283
Somehow this is the funniest post I've ever seen on this site.
>>
>>71997180
>If this movie were honest, it would've ended with a title card reading "60 years later" and showing the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
Yeah, there's a real cognitive dissonance with a Hollywood that regularly demonizes and riducules the Japanese for their behavior in WW2 also painting them as tragic heroes for espousing the same ideals
>>
>>71997653
The 1960s Harakiri? What bomb symbolism?
>>
File: 1432849498001.png (13 KB, 418x359) Image search: [Google]
1432849498001.png
13 KB, 418x359
>>71997797

The matchlocks at the end and the destruction of the ancestral shrine.
>>
>>71997391
The Tokugawa are the entire reason everyone thinks Samurai are honorubu, they invented bushido bullshit so the samurai would fuck off and not pull Sekigaharas every few decades
>>
File: tom sama.jpg (30 KB, 268x395) Image search: [Google]
tom sama.jpg
30 KB, 268x395
>>
>>71997892
Exactly they turned Knights into a bunch of fencers and monks took a cpl hundred years but they destroyed them as warriors
>>
File: 1390716433418.jpg (184 KB, 530x800) Image search: [Google]
1390716433418.jpg
184 KB, 530x800
>>71997669

How many days have you been on 4chan?
>>
>>71998054
That in addition to banning them being merchants, which shitloads of them were but were forced to choose when the caste system was introduced. Most cucked class in history
>>
>>71997845
Seems like a stretch. It's more obvious that he's literally defiling their customs and culture
>>
I would say the same thing, just to be polite. Let me tell you something that might be a bit dangerous. I was raised in Japan. I was schooled in martial arts. I was given the title of master. They take a movie “The Last Samurai.” They have a 5-foot-2-inch little guy, whether he was straight or gay, I don’t know. I don’t care. He had never been to Japan. He doesn’t speak Japanese. He has never held a sword. They make him the Last Samurai. We got 450,000 phone calls [laughs] from everybody in the world saying, “That role was perfect for you. How did that happen?” Most of the people I know didn’t like the film and didn’t go see it. It’s just a classic example of Hollywood and the politics.
>>
>>71998206
If you think his height matters then your entire post and opinion is null
>>
anybody seen shigurui? its kind of relevant to samurai hate
>>
>>71997180
>The Satsuma Rebellion might as well have been the NEET Rebellion.

you should literally be kicked in the neck for this shit
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.