[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oh don't mind me, just being one of the best starship effects
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 14
File: star-trek-motion-picture.jpg (83 KB, 1000x431) Image search: [Google]
star-trek-motion-picture.jpg
83 KB, 1000x431
Oh don't mind me, just being one of the best starship effects shots of all time.

I would watch all 17 hours of Star Trek: The Motion Picture in theaters just for this scene.
>>
Those shots were ruined by the really shitty splicing of Kirk and Scotty into the shuttlecraft
>>
I think a lot of special effects from decades ago still look great today, even better than a lot of CGI.
>>
Posting a screen cap from the bluray since Google comes up with washedout, low res garbage. It's the lighting. Fuck, that lighting. It look like it's 700 feet long, like you could just reach out and touch it if you were close enough.
>>
>>71955529
>>71953460
The special effects in this scene are legitimately great, not gonna lie. It's the ONLY reason I tolerate this scene lasting as long as it did and the movie as a whole just being slow as fuck.

If I spent time and money creating something like that, and it looked THAT damn good, you're goddamn right I'm going to spend 15 minutes showing it from every angle!
>>
>>71955634
"They gave her back to me, Scotty."

FUCK, this scene.

BRB, orgasming.
>>
File: macduff.jpg (21 KB, 474x518) Image search: [Google]
macduff.jpg
21 KB, 474x518
>>71953460
who is the best enterprise crewman and why is it Macduff

>dedicated, was willing to destroy lysian central hq when no one else would
>wants nothing more than to end the war with those damn dirty Lysians
>>
>>71955529
>It look like it's 700 feet long

An even thousand, actually.
>>
File: 27066-star-trek-enterprise.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
27066-star-trek-enterprise.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Can this be Starship thread now? Constution refit is the sexiest ship in the fleet. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>71955793
>I'm hoping for the Excelsior
>>
>>71955790
What the fuck, this movie is from 1979, critically panned and looked down on by most fans, but just seeing the Enterprise leave its mooring is legitimately choking me up. This incredibly ship in movement for the first time, you can feel the size of it, the weight of it, and what it means to everybody watching to see the Enterprise leaving for its next adventure.

I have to sit down for a while or take a cold shower or something, Jesus.

>>71955793
Also, the two starships I am romantically in love with are the Enterprise (refit) and the Brunhild from Legend of the Galactic Heroes. If they ever do a live action version of that, with miniatures of ANY kind, I will die.
>>
File: 1437699113859.jpg (23 KB, 400x397) Image search: [Google]
1437699113859.jpg
23 KB, 400x397
Friendly reminder that Dukat did nothing wrong.
>>
>>71953460
I know I'm in the MASSIVE minority on this, but I actually really like the way the JJ Enterprise looks.

That said, I really never understood the emphasis NuPrise put on scale. The new one is something like five times the size, but looking at the Enterprise A in drydock there and then NuPrise in a similar position, it really doesn't FEEL any bigger.
>>
File: Brunhild.jpg (116 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Brunhild.jpg
116 KB, 1280x960
>>71955892
The Brunhild, by the way. Something around a kilometer long, flagship of a fleet of tens of thousands of similar (though less gorgeous) ships, that fleet being one of dozens.
>>
File: facepalm sisko.gif (976 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
facepalm sisko.gif
976 KB, 300x300
>>71955912
Sit down Dukat, all of the ships in your fleet are pretty ugly.
>>
>>71955999

Looks kinda like the Bebop

Also, checked
>>
>>71955892
>What the fuck, this movie is from 1979, critically panned and looked down on by most fans,

People can say what they will about it, it was the most beautiful of all of the Trek films. Just gorgeous imagery from start to finish. My only complaint is the uniforms were too muted & beige.
>>
>>71955892
>just seeing the Enterprise leave its mooring is legitimately choking me up.

Oh GOD yes. That was amazing.

Put yourself in the shoes of someone actually in the theater in 1979.

Star Trek had been off the air for a good decade by that point
The show was cut short, so for a full decade you had no closure, and no idea if there would be any more. And really, you had zero reason to expect there would be.

And then you see the trailers.

And then you go watch the movie for the first time.

It's Kirk again! And Bones! And Spock! Everybody's here! It's a reunion!
And then you see the Enterprise. It looks the best it's ever looked (or, frankly, will ever look), spread across a hundred foot screen in full, clear color (Watching Trek in the 60s, Black and White TV sets still outnumbered colored sets).

It's hard to contextualize it now, because remakes and reboots and adaptations are more common and prevailant than they've ever been, but back then, in 1979, this MEANT something. TV to movie adaptations were flat, just not DONE. And getting the original TV show cast? Fucking FORGET IT! Never going to happen!
So seeing all this stuff on the big screen for the first time, the original cast and the new, amazing looking ship on the big screen was fucking HUGE. It was a legitimate paradigm shift in the way people viewed TV shows and movies in relation to each other.

That one scene of the Enterprise by itself was worth the price of admission, and the sole reason to see the movie at all.

It's a damn shame the rest of the movie was so fucking BORING.

I knew quite a few people who bought tickets for the movie multiple times and walked out after the Enterprise left drydock. True story.
>>
>>71953460
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VwDwvlSJRk
>>
>>71955979

I hate the engines, but it isn't terrible by any stretch
>>
File: 1433688583049.jpg (12 KB, 320x244) Image search: [Google]
1433688583049.jpg
12 KB, 320x244
>>71956374
Oldfag here. I didn't get to see the film in theaters but I definitely remember it's premier on television. It was an extended cut that was stretched into a two night 4 hour event. Anons, that shit was glorious.
>>
File: fdkm_2.jpg (126 KB, 475x267) Image search: [Google]
fdkm_2.jpg
126 KB, 475x267
>>71953460

Filthy human. Take one look at the D'Kora Marauder and you will see that your Federation toy is nothing but a pile of worthless stem bolts. If you disagree you must be as deaf as you are stupid.
>>
>>71955634
>>71955730
>>71953460
>>71955529

There was an old website by the guy who built the model for the movie. he spend MONTHS getting the paint and lighting just right. He mixed color schemes over and over to get the right shine, rebuilt molds of the ship to get it perfect. Yes this movie is slow as hell but the visuals are some of the best I've seen from this time.

The death of models was the death of film.

Even some of this split-focus camera work was commendable though awful because of the low aperature.
>>
>>71957119
What's really interesting is that most of the work done in Starship Troopers was models too, and they did a LOT of meticulous detailing work (manually bending the bulkheads frame by frame when the ships blew up, stuff like that) but it just doesn't feel as real as the Enterprise does in these shots. While there was a lot going on in these scenes and the models are incredible, the other elements don't come together to make them as believable, though there are a few shots here or there that are incredible. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdyHVYJGjTQ&spfreload=10

1:28 is a particularly amazing shot because the models are interacting with the starlight in an interesting way.
>>
This movie looks great, but it has one flaw that ruins the entire thing:
>We're in a hurry!
>Lets take 15 minutes to look at this thing
>Oh, right, fuck me, we're in a hurry! Lets get this conversation out of the way, quick!
>Oh, look! A cool thing! Lets stare at it for 5 more minutes

If it had just been "We're gonna explore this thing that seems odd" the slow pacing would be fine.
>>
File: image.jpg (124 KB, 509x755) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124 KB, 509x755
Friendly reminder that Nemesis is the best Trek film after TMP (which isn't boring at all).
>>
>>71957547
half of kirks lines were
>"spock/decker/mccoy/crew we are X minutes away from this thing, lets go"
>>
>>71957547
Yeah, but they still had to get the Enterprise up and running and even without them there it was going to take nearly 20 hours. The crew was working already.
>>
>>71957393
I legit thought all of that was CGI.

Were the bugs CG? Because those are some legitimately amazing SFX shots, even today.
>>
>>71957982
Yeah, the bugs were all CG except for where there's like, half a bug on screen with it's pincer through somebody's leg and it's an obvious practical effect. I love the effects in that movie, they're a great example of using both CGI and practical/models to make it work best.
>>
>>71953460

https://youtu.be/hthl28SEGfk
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.