[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is film so good at subconsciously convincing us of the reality
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 416_5[1].jpg (160 KB, 728x409) Image search: [Google]
416_5[1].jpg
160 KB, 728x409
How is film so good at subconsciously convincing us of the reality of a fictional performance during it's duration?

One can plainly see that the events unfolding, no matter how far-fetched, are just people playing pretend on a screen, but we somehow resonate with them in the moment, feel for their tragedy, become excited over their success, admire their character.

Genuinely curious if anybody knows the science behind this and how it influences the brain?
>>
>>71950435

Just watched this.

Is it any good?
>>
>>71950435
Story-telling as a learning endeavor is evolutionarily engrained into as, as a species with dulled instincts and brains to spare. Having language and culture is part of it. If we didn't have those things, we would look at a movie screen the way a cat does.
>>
>>71950449
Decent flick at best.
>>
>>71950435
>plainly see
>Plainview
P O T T E R Y
O
T
T
E
R
Y
>>
Its because we want to believe it. Simple. Our own need to escape blurs the rest.
>>
>>71950449
It's alright, really overrated. But you cannot deny that Daniel Day Lewis melts into his role.
>>
>>71950435
Nigga, someone still arguing over motivation of poorly drawn characters from shitty 20-years old japanese cartoon and you talking about real people on screen
>>
>>71952224
Oh yeah, I didn't even just mean live action. It could pretty much be applied to any form of fiction.
>>
>>71950449
Fantastic. It's not overrated in the slightest, don't listend to these idiots telling you it is.
>>
>>71950435
Really interesting question. I think this is still an open question in the realm of philosophy and behavioral sciences.
>>
>>71950435
A really interesting phenomenon. I think it is so because humans are capable of high levels of empathy, which makes us able to deeply understand other beings' perspectives, and actually care about their emotions, because we can image what it's like to be in their place (in a subconscious level too).
This skill has probably evolved during the last few hundreds of thousands of years, and it made it easier to maintain complex social relations based on understanding and toleratance (unlike forced hierarchy like wolves) which is the fundament of human civilization.
>>
>>71950435
>but we somehow resonate with them in the moment, feel for their tragedy, become excited over their success, admire their character.
>we
End yourself faggot
You don't speak for me or anyone else
>>
>>71953701
but isn't it interesting how we respond on an emotional level to people and situations that we KNOW are fictional?
>>
>>71950435
25 frames per second. No, really. Try watching the same thing in 60 fps and it's a 2 hour blooper reel by comparison.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.