[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Paul Verhoeven
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: PAUL-VERHOEVEN.jpg (978 KB, 1536x2306) Image search: [Google]
PAUL-VERHOEVEN.jpg
978 KB, 1536x2306
Why is Paul Verhoeven so maligned?

He made some really, really great movies that still hold up.

It's not his fault the plebs didn't understand Showgirls at the time of its release.
>>
>>71944455
>Why is Paul Verhoeven so maligned?
First day on /tv/?
>>
>>71944455
He's quite unAmerican (or even anti-American) and his Dutch films aged like milk while his American movies are sort of a mixed bag.

I don't think he's particularly maligned though. Just not that acclaimed since his movies aren't that conventionally arty while still offending a lot of people.

I can only guess, but I think he actually quite dislikes many of his American fans because he feels they like his movies for the wrong reasons.

Great guy, though.
>>
File: paul.jpg (163 KB, 554x584) Image search: [Google]
paul.jpg
163 KB, 554x584
I love the way he exploits and manipulates his lead actresses
Guy knows how to make movies
>>
>>71944619
>while his American movies are sort of a mixed bag.
I dont know about that. All his american movies are pretty solid and enjoyable.
>>
>>71944619
So you're saying he feels about America the way most of the world feels about America?
>>
File: soldaatvanoranje.jpg (66 KB, 467x386) Image search: [Google]
soldaatvanoranje.jpg
66 KB, 467x386
>>71944619
>his Dutch films aged like milk
No.
>>
File: 8498.jpg (99 KB, 685x385) Image search: [Google]
8498.jpg
99 KB, 685x385
Watched Flesh and Blood the other day, it blew me the fuck away. I can understand why I'd never heard it talked about in "serious" film critique circles before, it's so brutal and real but far too un-PC, even for the 80s, to be discussed in polite company.

People on /tv/ who use the word "kino" like a meme without having seen this movie have never really experienced what kino truly is.
>>
>>71944455

It's his fucking fault Crusade didn't get made.
>>
>>71944902
>Watched Flesh and Blood the other day, it blew me the fuck away.
Great movie but holy shit Tom Burlinson sucks. They were trying to make him a star so hard but he was just garbage,
>>
>>71944455
theres no director with a better run than this man which ended with Hollow Man a decent film anyway
>>
>>71945792
His new movie got really great review at Cannes, and people thought he was robbed when his movie didn't get any prize, but Xavier Dolan got one for his "muh indie" crap that even critics are tired of.

I think it will be an arthouse hit when it's released in the U.S. in November.
>>
>>71944619
>his movies aren't that conventionally arty while still offending a lot of people.

based
>>
>>71945939
Black Book was also excellent Verhoeven is top 3 directors for me
>>
>>71944973
Rutger Hauer is too damn good he even stole the spotlight from Harrison Ford in Blade Runner
>>
>>71944455

>Verhoeven
>maligned

By normies maybe. Verhoeven is top tier.
>>
>>71945939
Came here to post about that movie

My top choice for 2016 movies I wanna see
>>
>>71946057
Was that the one about brokers tricking rich Jews into thinking they're getting safe passage to UK when they're really leading them to Nazi boats?
>>
It's a shame Verhoeven never had a later career renaissance like David Cronenberg. He's a great in the action director. When you see the behind the scenes of his films its just hilarious. For starship troopers he acted as the bugs before the CG was added. It's so fucking funny watching him scream at the top of his lungs and roar like a monster, but it's effective in getting real reactions for CG shots from the actors.
>>
>>71944455
He seems like someone that makes movies only to satisfy himself, he doesn't seem cater to audiences at all.

I feel like him and David Cronenberg have quite a lot in common, not the least of which is both being depraved weird sex perverts.
>>
>>71944902
Amazing film, Verhoeven's best IMO. Rutger Hauer as Martin might just be the GOAT cinematic anti-hero
>>
>>71946724
He did the same for ED209 in Robocop. There's a great picture of him emoting while standing next to the prop.
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 500x385) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 500x385
>>71948017
>>
>>71945939
Really looking forward to seeing it.
>>
I miss Verhoeven, he was part of my childhood in the 90s
>>
>>71944902
This movie heavily influenced the manga series/anime Berserk.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.