[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 4
File: prometheus_main.jpg (105 KB, 660x834) Image search: [Google]
prometheus_main.jpg
105 KB, 660x834
What went wrong?
>>
they put too much vital information in promotional materials and deleted scenes instead of the movie
>>
>>71939706
There was no Extended Director's Cut to make it better
>>
Ridley Scott has been complete shit for the past two decades, I expect Alien: Covenant to be even shittier. I don't understand why people keep getting their hopes up with this washed up senile hack
>>
>>71939793
I agree. His Martian movie was such a disgrace. I doubt Covenant will be great but I will still go see it.
>>
>>71939706
the prometheus guy started killing instead of actually explaining stuff.
what a cheap way out.
dropped the whole fucking movie right at that moment.
although, it was incredibe UP TO that exact point
>>
>>71939974
I've only seen the movie once and forgot. Did they literally come face to face with the Engineer and he just straight away rips off Fassbender's head for no reason? I think thats how it went
>>
>>71939706
really it's quite good but the "scientists" were completely retarded
>>
Plot Holes:The Movie
>>
>>71940092

Yes that is exactly how it went.
>>
The supposed "professional scientists" being potato-tier retarded.
>>
>>71939706
it started good but then the writing really went downhill

it felt like an answer you would write when you suddenly notice that there's a back side in your test
>>
>>71939706
Nothing. Literally a perfect film.
>>
>>71939706
nothing, great movie
>>
>>71939706
Ridley Scott directed the first draft of the script
>>
>>71939908
Martian was clearly a concession to Fox so Scott could direct more personal projects that don't make money. And Martian isn't even bad, it just promotes dumb ideology, Scott did all he could to make the movie look nice since he likes scifi and all.
>>
>>71940169
>Muh plot holes

Literally no plot holes. People behaving in a way you disagree with is not a plot hole.
>>
>>71940613
I hated the comedy which took me out of the seriousness of the movie. It did not feel like a Ridley Scott movie at all.

It felt like Adam Sandler had made it.
>>
Actually nothing went wrong. Certain scenes - maybe 2 or 3 - turned out a bit dumb and triggered every low IQ autismn on the internet. Those people - to this day - have not understood the movie - don't realize that it greatly set the base for the upcoming explenation of the most basic question in Alien 1 - that is a) what are the aliens b) what and who are the Space Jockeys and c) why did the Engineer ship in Alien 1 carried so many alien eggs.

On top of that it also sheds some light onto the question who Weyland Yutani is in a pretty awesome way, not only through all the viral fake TED talk teaser prior to the movie, where you can clearly see that the young Weyland Yutani was as bit of a carismatic figure in its time as Steve Jobs was.

Also, David is just utterly fantastic in the movie.

So all you fucking crybaby who contantly hand themselves over a few scenes in the movie that went a bit too "generic hollywood" and completely ignoere 85 % rest of this amazing movie and worthy first installment of the 3 more prequels that are to come can - and now listen closely you idiotc fags - go fuck yourselves! :)
>>
>>71940680
Comedy doesn't remove drama, it masks it.
>>
>>71940729
To me, the movie is ABOUT David. I thought the whole thing was fantastic.

People are mad because they expected Alien 0.5 and didn't get it.
>>
>>71940799
David is the viewpoint character but it's not the same as the movie being about him. It's about a lot of things, including David.
>>
>>71939706
Weyland Yutani (is it WY in the movie? I forgot, whatever, the big corporation) funding a trillion dollar project because of cave paintings and "lel that's what I choose to believe"
>>
>>71940825
they funded it because Weyland wanted to find the Engis and get their secrets, it's nothing to do with hard science
>>
>>71940825
You didn't even try.
>>
>>71940841
Yep. He was only hoping Space Daddy could keep him alive longer. That's more blind faith than anything else.

>>71940824
I disagree. Well, I agree that the film is about many things, but it's primarily about the relationship between creator and creation. David's scene with Holloway lays out the entire premise of the movie. "How would you feel if your creator hated you?"
>>
>>71940916
well yeah, blind faith exists among billionaires too

wasn't there some Russian oil boss who gave up all his money to live in a monastery?
>>
>>71940825

You idiot! It's Weyland Yutani who is funding the trip out of his own selfishness. He is super old and close to dying. In this trip he sees his only chance of MAYBE finding alien life out there and being able to escape death. At least that's what his motivation for the "last trip" is.

Even in the TED talks he - Weyland - says "I will not strive for anything shorter than greatness, or I will die trying". He literlly dies trying in the movie.

Do you understand you are a stupid - or at least ignorat fuck - now?
>>
i thought it was shit, the movie thinks it is way deeper than it actually is.
And it is the most safe space movie ever, nothing cool, just some caves and an android
>>
>>71940841
how did they know these "engineers" even existed? the main science lady in the movie tells everyone that they made humanity, and one of the scientists rightfully calls bullshit and asks "how do you know that?" and then she's all like "I don't. But that's what I choose to believe" ehhhh get it? she's repeating dialogue from her cryosleep flashback/dream its like poetry its rhymes its defines her character ehhhh.

so yeah, the whole trillion dollar trip across the vast reaches of outer space was funded because crazy science lady pulled the "lol they made us" conclusion literally out of nowhere.
>>
>>71939706
Nothing.
I liked this movie a lot, rewatched it recently.

The atmosphere, mysticism, design and overall impression is top tier.
It has some problems, yes, but nothing major. I want in for a mystic horror movie and that's what I got.

Shame there was so little space scenes.
>>
i hate main actress. she looks like a chimp.
>>
Am i the only one that actually enjoyed the Martian?

Sure it had a few issues but it was a solid enjoyable movie. There was nothing that really took you out of the movie, unlike Prometheus.

The geologist saying he liked rocks, big fucking rocks (or something to that effect) was ridiculous. And didn't one of them say they were only there for the money? On a special unique science mission?
>>
They made this shitty movie and ruined the chances of a proper adaptation of At The Mountains of Madness from ever being made
>>
>>71940965
it's very obvious that this was planned long before the redhead even put the pieces together. Wayland probably had more data, especially with David's help. Still wasn't anything like a hard scientific fact but he was rich enough and crazy enough to do it
>>
>>71940935

that'sthepoint.docx
>>
>>71941001
No, I liked it too.
It's a comfy family movie. Went to cinema with my dad and mom and we had great time.
>>
File: prometheus-rubiks.jpg (17 KB, 620x255) Image search: [Google]
prometheus-rubiks.jpg
17 KB, 620x255
>>71940948
don't forget the rubiks cube, literally worse then syfy channel props
>>
>>71940947
I know why the trip was funded, because Old Man River was dying and wanted to live longer - what's stupid is he fell for the "lol they made us", "how do you know this?", "lol I don't my conclusion is literally based on nothing" meme.
>>
The engineer is disgusted by the humans, whom he created in his own image, when he picks up the robot guy and realizes the humans tried the same thing only mechanically.
>>
>>71940965
>science lady pulled the "lol they made us" conclusion literally out of nowhere.

It wasn't out of nowhere. Did you watch the thing?

There were descriptions of the Engineers written by different civilizations in different eras across the globe. And they all pointed to this one planet.
>>
>>71940948

Do you understand that the movie's very first scenes is about one of the few thing our real life scientics can't explain? That is how in the beginning of the eart, when it was nothing more than a barren wasteland with no life on it, the transition from chemistry to actually biology happend? How did blocks of chemistry molecules suddenly formed cells and life?

The engineer scene in the beginning is a direct reference to that and BRILLIANT.

I a great science fiction-y manner it shows us that life on earth or at least the very first bits of dna/biology could have come from "ouside" the earth.

Movie is way deeper than you are able to understand. Of course it's not Matrix or anything, but nontheless great science fiction based in the alien universe, albeit a very early version of that universe where nothing major in terms of alien infestation has happend yet
>>
>>71941031
It wasn't based on nothing, you dingus.

>>71941080
Intelligent posters who understand movies aren't allowed here.
>>
>>71939706
Retarded dialogues.

Retarded human interactions.

Retarded human reactions.
>>
>>71941031

They deducted that from the DNA samples in the movie. That's how they came to this conclusion...
>>
>>71939706
I liked the werewolf, the ghosts, Pandora's box and when the burning wheel of fate descended from heaven.
>>
>>71941152
No, he's talking about before they left Earth.
>>
>>71940092
they literally dedicated entire planets worth of resources to kill all humanity and then in the very facility created for doing so he's woken up by a bunch of them with his crew gone and also sees that they're creating artificial beings just as the engineers did. to calmly talk about it over some tea wouldn't make any sense in universe.
>>
File: 1376290340962.png (98 KB, 665x598) Image search: [Google]
1376290340962.png
98 KB, 665x598
>>71940729
>who Weyland Yutani is
>the young Weyland Yutani
>>
>fund a trillion dollar quest for holy grail
>hire a bunch of morons
>>
>>71941296
For all the talk around /tv/ about "true film" and "patrician taste," the average 4chan poster needs a fair amount of exposition (which would actually ruin a movie) to understand what's going on, unfortunately.
>>
>>71941398
Humanity is deeply flawed. Surprise!
>>
>>71941398
>don't care about studying the rock and worms there
>hire whoever rock and worms guy is around
>the whole "scientific expedition" thing is just a cover

makes sense to me
>>
>>71941426
I choose to believe they're not morons, just that they parrot the majority opinions however stupid they may sound
>>
>>71941519
Not to mention, they probably found the only "scientists" who were willing to get cryo'd and travel to an unknown planet without any information.

Fifield in particular doesn't really seem like a professional to begin with .
>>
>>71941519
It wasn't even Weyland who hired most of the team, Vickers did. And she hired a bunch of budget-tier people and tried to slow down the expedition.
>>
>>71941519
It's heavily implied by "Alien" that space travel is no big deal and that even encountering extraterrestrial life forms has become routine (they have routine procedures in place in case they encounter anything) so I assumed by prometheus space travel isn't a very big deal, it's just difficult to get people to sign away literal years of their life for money which is why they got a bunch of losers with nothing to live for and no sense of self preservation.
>>
>>71941685
I think the poster you are quoting agrees with you. He's saying Weyland's literally does not give one shit about the biology or the geology of the planet. He's just using the cover of "scientific expedition" to make his wild goose chase seem legit.
>>
For me, the art direction. The alien-jockey technology is supposed to be biomechanical like Giger's paintings, in this movie they tried to replicate that in the most retarded way possible, they even had a structure made o rock or some shit.
>>
>>71941685
Man I really want the Alien universe to expand more.
Are there any worthwhile comics or books?

>tfw one year until Covenant
>>
>>71939706
nothing. the film is good. its just fanboys who bitch and moans and moans and bitch over their "muh 80`s alien films hurrrr"
>>
>>71941426
>>71941296
>>71940092
Micheal told him that the humans killed Jesus. Jesus was an Engineer.
>>
>>71939706
Lindelof.
>>
>>71942042
That's more or less true. Never explicitly said in the movie, but Scott has been quoted a few places saying that is the direction they were originally taking.

So that's their reason for the initial (but failed) attempt at wiping out Earth. Basically their kids became monumental fuckups.

He rips off David's head because the Android is an affront.
>>
>>71942042
Wait what? I don't remember this being in the movie.
>>
>>71942229
It's not. It's in an interview Ridley Scott did.

You can come up with your own reason for why the Engineers wanted to kill us. Space Jesus is as good an explanation as any.
>>
>>71942262
I thought it was because of Jesus, but for opposite reason.

I think Engineers were playing the gods all the time, hence why so many religions are the same - gods are just more advanced humans, and there are many of them.

When the Jesus came, something apparently happened, and Engineers didn't liked it, so they decided to kill us.

Only thing I don't understand why they didn't. We see some sort of accident in holograms, but that doesn't explain why other Engineers didn't act, since it's strongly hinted that there is at least one more planet. Civil war maybe?
>>
>>71941001
>>>71941026Am i the only one that actually enjoyed the Martian?

I liked it, except fr the austistic forced "comedy" section with that autistic nigger explaining the Mars rescue with NASA's director.
>>
>>71942374

I think it's pretty clear they were coming back to kill us because we fucked something up.

They tried, and instead got btfo by their own goo and the Xenomorphs. So they never made it back to us.
>>
>>71939706
W/Y blew their budget on the space ship and had to scrape bottom of the barrel scientists

>potheads
>a geologist who gets lost in the construct when he's the fucker that has the map
>cry girl because she can't have babies and her bf (they're only on this because they got lucky, they were about to get shut down)
>Captain BBC
>the creepy robot
>Charlize Theron

Apparently none of the scientist ever worked in the field because the first rule at a site is DONT TOUCH EVERYTHIG YOU FUCKING RETARDS
>>
>>71942578
>>a geologist who gets lost in the construct when he's the fucker that has the map

This complaint bugs me. He didn't have the map. The data was being sent back to the ship to create the map. Once the glass storm hits, he doesn't have access to the map any longer.
>>
>>71942472
I thought that too at first seeing, but then again - it was not their only planet.

What were the other Engineers doing whole 2,000 years? Maybe they didn't know?

I hope they will explain this. Maybe they just stopped giving fuck. Or moved to different galaxy. Who knows.

>>71942623
He had radio connection to ship. He could just ask the nig to lead him.
>>
>>71942623
Yeah then how does the rest of the crew get out? And if the map is on the ship why isn't anyone watching it? Why wasn't anyone having any accountability for the blipping points that are obviously the intrepid retards getting lost? And you must be some kind of stupid to think they would only have the map on the ship, what use is it?
>>
>>71942623

>being this bad are orientation.

How do people like that survive? You turn em around and they get fucking lost.
>>
>>71942647
>>71942472
Just to add, I don't think this is flaw, it's good cliffhanger to another movie. Like other said, Prometheus explained several questions, but raised other.
>>
I agree with all the fine and intelligent posters with good taste in movies in here.
>>
>>71942670
>Yeah then how does the rest of the crew get out?

They leave earlier. Did you watch the movie?
>>
ridley wanted to make ancient aliens movie
studio heard ancient Alien: the prequel
studio guys did one thing
ridley did another
eventually they had two separate movies
ridley gives up
studio calls in lindelof to clean it up, shockingly, exact opposite happened.

why do you post this thread every day

why do people respond every day

why are all of you such boring insufferable faggots
>>
>>71942681
>How do people like that survive? You turn em around and they get fucking lost.

People get lost in the woods all the time. Even within a mile of a road. Not saying the alien ship is the same, but they never really show the scale of it.

Plus Fifield was high so...
>>
>>71942792
>why are all of you such boring insufferable faggots

Seems like most people itt are gently defending the film. Which is unusual.
>>
>>71942858
at this point I can't see it as anything but lindelof's agency trying to talk up his career, as after leftovers, hes got nothing, and after all his failures and fuckups, his career is over.
>>
>>71942822
>People get lost in the woods all the time.

The situation in Prometheus was akin to a forest ranger getting lost in the woods when he has every piece of navigational equipment possible and detailed maps.
>>
>>71943048
I forgot that you get the Never Lost Perk when you become a geologist.

Also, as has already been explained, he didn't actually have a map. And was high as fuck.
>>
>>71943144
>he didn't have a map
>he was just mapping the compound with floating probes
>also dude weed lmao

you can really stop
>>
>>71943228
But it's true though. I'm sorry you didn't watch the movie.
>>
>>71941001

No, I liked it too. It was enjoyable. Pacing was great. Not groundbreaking, but it was good.
>>
>>71939706
They hired Lindelof as a writer
>>
>>71940729
Weyland Yutani isn't a person you mongoloid. Weyland is the old guy in the movie, and Yutani is his business partner.
>>
>>71944734

yawn! what a witty reply you fag.
>>
>>71939974
>the prometheus guy started killing instead of actually explaining stuff.

Why would he explain shit?

Did you want a nice cosy sit-down where he provided all the necessary exposition in perfect English with cutscenes to illustrate key plot points?

Fuck off back to weeb shit
>>
File: 1459653352853.jpg (88 KB, 703x635) Image search: [Google]
1459653352853.jpg
88 KB, 703x635
>>71939706
nothing, it's a pretty solid flick

>inb4 le Prometheus school of running away from things maymay
>>
>>71943228

The map was being reported back to the ship, not to him.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.