[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come this series turned to shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
File: Highlander_00114.jpg (1 MB, 3000x2011) Image search: [Google]
Highlander_00114.jpg
1 MB, 3000x2011
How come this series turned to shit?
>>
>>71939518

Let's be honest, Highlander 1 isn't that great either, pacing's off, weird disconnect between scenes, Clancy Brown pretty much ad-libbed all his lines, taking the Kurgan from a 5 to an 11...

1 and 3 are the only good movies and 3 is just a remake of 1 with a better budget.
>>
>>71939592
Queen's tracks add certain worth to the movie, and while the idea is pretty cool, the execution is not very good. Also
>tfw when you are one of the dozen or so people on the entire planet who actually found the premise in the sequel (about the immortals being exiles of a sorts) to be interesting and in need of development.
>>
>>71939518
They finished the story with one movie then made 5 more.
>>
The coolest thing about Highlander was always the theme, the content of the story.

The execution was never great.

Why don't they remake a movie like this that might actually benefit from a reimagining? Instead, they remake movies that were great in their time. They might actually do a decent job with a Highlander remake and given the theme, it might be okay.
>>
>>71939518
https://youtu.be/0aMhbiA9BFc
>>
>>71939518
they had a great story but didn't expect to get this big. and gave everything into the first film.

I'm giving credit for the 2nd one. but onwards, no.
>>
>>71939592
HL2 Director's Cut is pretty good.

No alien bullshit. Just 'normal' immortals.
>>
>>71939592
I always felt the movie would be better if the first half was the Sean Connery training stuff and the second half was the modern day stuff instead of intertwining the stories.
>>
>>71939518
There should have been only one!
>>
>>71939518

It's a movie made great by it's sound track, like Flash Gordon. It's not nearly as trashy as FG of course, but without that epic Queen sound track it would be a pretty mediocre film.
>>
HL1 is the best, obviously.

I loved the tv series (even the spin-off HL: The Raven), but the movies with the characters from the series are total shit.
>>
File: folded one thousand times.jpg (80 KB, 900x350) Image search: [Google]
folded one thousand times.jpg
80 KB, 900x350
>>71939592
It's basically an overlong video and works great when you don't have time to think about it. But that's why the franchise failed, because they then tried to come up with increasingly bullshit reasons for why everything happened.

That being said, the TV series had its moments and did some cool things with the mythos.
>>
>>71939518
The good stuff was due to the nice ideas, soundtrack and the actor chemistry turning the campy into fun.

The further the series got, the more it eroded those foundations.
>>
File: mel_gibson.jpg (110 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
mel_gibson.jpg
110 KB, 1200x1200
FUCK
MY
>>
File: mel_gibson'dd.jpg (308 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
mel_gibson'dd.jpg
308 KB, 1200x1200
SHIT UP
>>
>>71939518
Fuck sean connery has looked old forever.
>>
>>71939518
They tried to follow the Hercules/Xena formula, but they deleted all the fun campy stuff.
>>
>>71941097
>I wash in the moviesh, you know
>>
>>71941126
>They tried to follow the Hercules/Xena formula
What do you mean? The original movie came out in 1986, the tv series started in 1992, Hercules in 1997 and Xena in 1999
>>
File: 1457805744003.jpg (32 KB, 411x411) Image search: [Google]
1457805744003.jpg
32 KB, 411x411
>Being immortal and seeing your wife grow old and die
>>
>>71941179
Damn. I'm an idiot. I guess maybe Hercules/Xena added camp to the Highlander formula.
>>
>>71939518
Never meant to have sequels or a "universe" after.
>>
>>71940953
Yeah but having Duncan kill Connor in Endgame, that was the ultimate 'fuck you' to fans of the original.

And why would you want to fight anyway? Just leave the other guys alone and live forever, that sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
>>
>>71942003
Thats what I love about high school girls. They keep getting older but I stay the same age.
>>
>>71939592
i tried rewatching the first recently and just stopped it, it's pretty bad
>>
Good HL stuff:
the original movie
tv show seasons 2 through 5
the anime movie
the two seasons of the audiobooks (save for s01e04)

everything else is shit
>>
>>71939518

HERE WE AREEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
I believe the series can be successfully rebooted, it only needs proper handling. Fixing the timeline, explaining the lore, so on.
>>
>>71943003
>the two seasons of the audiobooks (save for s01e04)
Hold the fuck up.
What?
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.