[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hbo now
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: download.png (2 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
download.png
2 KB, 318x159
So I just picked this shit up and I'm looking for suggestions; not limited to but primarily from the following:

>Band of Brothers

Leaning strongly towards this. I've heard it described as small-screen Saving Private Ryan. Pros and cons between this and The Pacific would be great

>Boardwalk Empire

I saw the first 3 seasons and fucking loved them. I heard it went to shit after that so I'm a bit apprehensive about soiling my memories, but a lot of the clowns shitting on seasons 4 and 5 didn't like Gyp either, and I thought that guy was one of the best villians ever. So whatever.

>The Sopranos

I'm 40. Just got out of the cooler after 5 years. I watched this shit and The Wire when they both came out and loved them both. Wire is fresher in my mind, so a Sopranos rewatch seems like it would be a bit more rewarding. But maybe I should try something new...

>The Leftovers

Sounds intriguing and it's the one thing that seems like it may be great but I have an odd feeling I'll be disappointed and I have no idea why.

>Show Me a Hero

Looks good, but I've lost a lot of time. I need violence and sex, gritty realism and vicious banter to enjoy any show, but particularly a period drama. Vinyl is also a possibility akin to this. That show gets shit on, but fuck it looks ok to me.

Help me out,/tv/. What's good here?
>>
>>71933468

Band of Brothers makes Saving Private Ryan look like trash.

Pacific didn't stand a chance trying to follow it.
>>
Band of Brothers is mandatory
Generation Kill is pretty good

Vinyl was already canceled, I probably wouldn't bother watching but then again I didn't watch a single episode of it.
>>
File: AMA_2013_700px_v3.jpg (201 KB, 700x393) Image search: [Google]
AMA_2013_700px_v3.jpg
201 KB, 700x393
OP, you're age is at maximum 12 years old.
>>
Show Me A Hero is great and really short since it's a mini series

The Leftovers is fantastic but season 1 can be brutal if you aren't ready for how extremely depressing it is

The Wire
Ricky Gervais Show
>>
Rome
Deadwood
>>
>>71933520
>Band of Brothers makes Saving Private Ryan look like trash.

How so? When you word it like that, I'm not sure if you're complimenting the former or disparaging the latter
>>
how long until you go back, op?
>>71933592
this
>>
>>71933596

Acting is better, better character development, isn't so bogged down with sentimentality that it distracts from the history or the men, and these were real guys. That made a huge impact for me.

Not all episodes are great, but overall it is.
>>
The Pacific is fantastic, don't listen to /tv/. It is must watch along with BoB. They are two different series showing to different theaters of the war. Both are great.

Generation Kill is a fantastic mini series but even more different than BoB and Pacific. Great great banter in that show.

BE season 4 is more than watchable. It's not as good as season 2 and 3 but there is enough going on to make it worth watching.
>>
At least try The Leftovers
>>
>>71933586
I don't mind depressing. I watched the first episode and it just seemed a bit plodding. An extremely interesting concept but it seemed to drag a bit. I know there has to be the obligatory opening episodes dealing with exposition and character development, but I just have an odd feeling that I know what I'm in for and I'm not going to like it.

How many episodes should I give it before I give up? I'm sure new developments are in the offing, but there's only so much brooding I can take.
>>
>>71933468
Try Carnivale when you have a chance, pretty good show. Only 2 seasons though.
>>
>>71933739
So BoB and The Pacific should be watched in conjunction? What order? Are there characters that are in both??

I always thought of it like BoB=Flags if our Fathers and The Pacific= Letters from Iwo Jima. Is that at all accurate?>>71933592
>>71933670
I've seen Deadwood and loved it. I've liked that sheriff that fought Swearangen ever since he was kissing dead bodies in Psycho 3. Sleazy as fuck. One of the most underrated sequels ever.

What's the deal with Rome? Is it like some Gladiator-type shit? I'm hesitant about trailers because they often expose too much.
>>
>>71933468
>>71933468
watch season one of true detective.

Also yeah i wouldnt watch after season 3 of boardwalk. It really does go down from there, especially the last season
>>
>>71933468
This post was written on Adderall.
>>
>>71933723
Is it violent
>>
File: 1467251235218.gif (1001 KB, 200x146) Image search: [Google]
1467251235218.gif
1001 KB, 200x146
>>71934169
>>71933739

Rewatching the season 3 finale of s3 BE. It must drop off precipitously for you guys to shit on this.

So lets drop it down a few notches; BE for the next 2 seasons, Show Me a Hero, or Sopranos rewatch. BoB and The Pacific first, so what's second?

Goddamn the world got racist when I was away. What's the word, /tv/?

"You look at the mirror, and you know you deserve everything you're gonna get..."
>>
>>71933747
I'm going to try it. Can you give me a succinct, spoiler-free review?
>>
>>71934168
Watch BoB first, and then the Pacific. There are no common characters.

The main difference is Bob shows a romanticized view of the war. Pacific shows a grittier, dirtier side. Bob has a larger cast of characters and the narrative is more straight forward. Pacific has less characters and the narrative jumps around and is not as spelled out as Bob.
>>
File: images (8).jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
images (8).jpg
10 KB, 225x225
>>71934879
Going to throw on Band of Brothers right now. Thank you for your input.

I don't know if you guys are readers, but this is what I consider the best short story ever written. It's also long overdue for a movie adaptation. Enjoy, and thank you to everyone who offered suggestions.I assumed I'd be swarmed with a deluge of concentrated faggotry, but you guys were extremely helpful and I appreciate all your input. I'll leave the thread up in case anyone has any other suggestions for this bullshit.

For the record, I'm going BoB, Show me a Hero, and then The Pacific. Read the fucking story. You will not regret it.

http://www.revolutionsf.com/fiction/horrorshow/01.html
>>
Season 4 of Boardwalk is my favourite. I like 5 as well but I can see how some people were annoyed by the shortened season.
>>
>>71935492
Isn't Narcisse the main villian? He just didn't seem all that menacing to me given the circles he operated in. Then again, I never saw the whole thing. Is the another s4 antagonist?
>>
>>71935369
This guy wrote Cold in July, Bubba Ho-Tep, and the Hap and Leonard horseshit too. Two out of three ain't bad.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.