[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Memes aside, this scene just makes no sense. If Bane already
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
Memes aside, this scene just makes no sense. If Bane already captured Pavel, why would he risk a stunt like this?
>we had to find out what he told you
> Nothing!
That could've been found out at ground level
>fake Pavel's death
A few drops of his blood in a random corpse, in a wreckage full of bullet holes

What DID Nolan mean by this?
>>
The opening scene of The Dark Knight Returns, sometimes known as "Bane on Plane," is generally considered to be a variant of surrealism or Dadaism, usually with existential or postmodern undertones related to collapse of meaning and the visceral absurdity of confusion in a symbolic order. On this reading, the scene is designed to evoke a kind of uncanny valley effect in the viewer by presenting him with what is ostensibly an incredibly conventional narrative and semiotic holism - an American action caper, constructed so prototypically from cliches and familiar devices that even the exciting "reveal" of Bane's identity has its anagnorisis and payoff botched well before its presentation as dramatic climax - but subtly and systemically undermining the possibility of semiotic stability throughout the scene, and thereby sabotaging the possibility of the viewer's fusion with the film's semiotic horizon. The experience of watching Bane on Plane is one of profound unease and even dissociation, as the viewer continually tries to assemble coherent meanings, motives, and purposes from a train of malformed tropes, allegories, and metaphors; narratological intuition continually fails to discover any implicit humanity in the behaviour of the actors. The mind reflexively brackets the scene as likely to admit of little variation in its seemingly familiar, even monolithic tropes, but is continually surprised to find that near every trope is "misbehaving." Where at first a single puzzle piece does not "fit" with its puzzle, it is quickly realised that none of the pieces fit; and that this, perhaps, is not a puzzle at all. When asked whether the work of Foucault and Deleuze on the epistemic experience of schizophrenia influenced his choices in his role as Bane, Tom Hardy declined to comment, but referenced Foucault on the discursive constitution of the author-function.
>>
>>71929731
He just wanted to make a cool scene that showcased Bane as a master strategist and his men as suicidally loyal
>>
>>71929731
Jesus Christ man, are you retarded?
This isn't about some superficial plot. The purpose of the first 5 minutes is a character study.
CIA knows that Bane has buried his true personality, and he's trying to get Bane to understand that he's not wearing just a physical mask, but an emotional one as well.
This is paralleled later in the movie when Hothead tells Batman that he deduced his identity by observing his emotional mask, therefore making the logical assumption that Batman wore a physical mask.
Bane and CIA both end up dead, due to his refusal to part with either mask. Batman and Hothead both live. They succeeded in breaking the power of the mask, and are free.
Both sets of these male figures also display a somewhat homoerotic struggle.
CIA and Bane's struggle is much more blatant. CIA, almost sardonically, calls Bane "a big guy". He's reveling in his assumed superiority and complete power over Bane. But little does he know that Bane's larger plane (a phallic object, therefore symbolizing masculinity) overshadows his. Bane retains his ubermensch guise, and emasculates the "small" CIA. CIA's body and plane are both reduced to little more than rubble, along with his ego, no doubt.
However, Hothead and Batman's struggle is slightly different and more disconnected. Hothead is shown as clumsy and weak; his gun that he attempts to fight Bane's men with is representative of his lack of masculinity. He's saved, though, by the ultimate male: Batman. Batman's overwhelming firepower (rockets, grenades, and more) and resilience (tank-like strength) symbolizes the ideal that men strive towards. He also displays emotional freedom, unlike Bane. In the end, he's able to take off the mask, which Hothead inherits (completing Hothead's growth over the film). Batman shows that an emotional mask isn't necessary to be the perfect male. Hothead shows that self-improvement and a strong father figure can shape the next generation of emotionally liberated, yet masculine males.
>>
>>71929731
Simple torture to find out what he told them would have sufficed. Also if CIA had communication with agency wouldn't they already know whatever information Dr. Pavel leaked?
>>
>>71929731
The scene was intended to set up a running joke where bane continually gets caught up aircraft related hyjinx, but most of the later scenes were cut due to time constraints.
>>
>>71930110
Surely there ought to be some coherence though
>>
>>71929731
ITT: Master Batesmen.
>>
File: fhd994MSK_Ben_Stein_002.jpg (324 KB, 1920x1088) Image search: [Google]
fhd994MSK_Ben_Stein_002.jpg
324 KB, 1920x1088
>>71930163
We all wear masks metaphorically speaking
>>
>>71929946
>>71930163
these are some big posts
>>
rule of cool
>>
File: Planecrash.jpg (202 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
Planecrash.jpg
202 KB, 1280x853
3 years ago, I came across a kid in a practice room working on his cowboy stance. He was early 2nd year and he'd started at the Agency with a lot of hope...like all you guys. But the truth was he was barely called in to begin with and uhh....he was really struggling. The people in charge here were all telling him "Maybe this isn't for you"...but they didn't see what I saw...a scared small guy cursing himself because he couldn't figure out if he should shoot a man before or after throwing him out of a plane. I saw a master plan in him, and I put him in his own Studio Plane. And when he graduated, Ittin made him third agent at the CIA. A year later he was CIA. And that's who you're all dressed as now.

His name was Bill Wilson..... I find out this morning that....Bill....died yesterday...in a plane crash....no survivors. They found him in the wreckage...and uhh..I just....I wanted you guys to know.... that he was a big guy.............I just wanted you guys to know.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.