[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled, were they any good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: Star Wars Prequels.jpg (166 KB, 1417x700) Image search: [Google]
Star Wars Prequels.jpg
166 KB, 1417x700
>NB4 Redletterminutia is used as a source
>INB4 Ring Thoery
>Inb4 Nostalgia faggotry
>InB4 Millenials
>>
>>71918616

As an oldfag who grew up seeing the Original Trilogy, the prequels were okay.

Lucas' two biggest mistakes with the prequels in my opinion:

1. Not hiring somebody to help him write the dialogue. GL has admitted in past interviews that he's terrible at dialogue and that he flat out dislikes writing it. He tries to make it noble and high-brow and it comes out choppy and awkward. Whether you love The Force Awakens or hate it, you have to admit the dialogue is at least 10x better than anything George has ever written.

2. Not getting someone else to direct the prequels. GL admitted in another interview he gave in the 90's (before the prequels) that he's not a good director.

I give The Flanneled One points for trying to get another director: George actually talked to his friend Steven Spielberg about directing TPM. Steven basically told him, "George, I appreciate the thought but Star Wars is your creation: you should direct it".

None of the prequels quite measure up to the Original Trilogy but IMO Revenge of the Sith comes close.
>>
>>71919163
Best judgement on the topic ive ever read here
>>
episode 2 gets too much hate 2bh.

Yeah the love scenes are a fucking disaster but apart from that it's pretty enjoyable
>>
>TPM
No, it's not very good, 3/10
>AotC
No, it's dreadful, 2/10
>RotS
Yes, it's alright, 4.75/10
>>
>>71919163
I was with you until your comment about Ep III

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pez_79eWSWw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tim5nU3DwIE

These two scenes (the line delivery especially) lower ROTS to shlock-tier
>>
>>71919163
that's actually a pretty thought out post
Have to say I agree, there were obviously some other faults, the obvious bandwagon ones being midichlorians and Jar Jar, but most of what's wrong with the prequels can be chalked up to bad dialogue and mediocre directing.

They weren't that terrible
>>
They're pretty bad as a whole. The best thing you can say about the prequels is that they gave you some cool toys and video games, but they're absolute shit as movies both from a narrative and technical standpoint.
>>
>>71919163
>the prequels are all literally spielberg's fault
holy shit
>>
>>71919236

Thanks anon. I'm just old enough to vaguely remember my parents taking us to see The Empire Strikes Back, but I still remember my mom taking my sister and me to the theater to see Return of the Jedi like it was yesterday.
>>
>>71919461
How would TPM directed by Spielberg have been?
>>
>>71919399

Yeah, the dialogue in the first video and the "NOOOOOO" were pretty cringe-worthy.

from >>71919163
>>
>>71919530
less CGI, better casting
>>
>>71919461

Not really Steven's fault, more like he talked George Lucas into a really bad idea.

I think Steven would've done some rewrites (especially of the dialogue) and made TPM and/or the other two prequels better films. He did great on the first three Indiana Jones films.
>>
>>71919399

NOOOOOOO is tied with the interstellar scene of Rust surviving entry into the black hole as the moments I most physically cringed in the movie theater
>>
>>71919740
>Rust
Do you think Matthew ruined his career playing Rust? I'll never see him as anything else
>>
>>71918616
Obi Wan and Liam Neeson vs Darth Maul was the high point of the entire universe.
>>
>>71919795

no matter what amazing roles he takes in the future I will always think of him as the guy who jizzed in 5 seconds when banging marty's wife

some things are just inescapable.
>>
>>71918616
>>INB4 Ring Thoery
What does commutative algebra have to do with star wars?
>>
>>71919808

Oh I loved that duel. Obi-Wan and Anakin's in ROTS was terrible: too much spinning lightsabers and showing off. It didn't look like two characters trying to kill each other.

Rey and Kylo Ren's duel looked way more convincing.
>>
>>71918616
The special effects and CGI have aged like milk.

The dialogue is cringe inducing and robotic most of the time.

The casting and decisions were awful (Anakin should have been older to start with, maybe only a year or two younger than Obi Wan so they'd seem more like brothers).

Boring shot composition, overuse of establishing shots.

Without the help of the animated Clone Wars tv series, there is not a great deal of development for Anakin. Instead of being a good person who goes bad due to war and having to make difficult decisions, it feels like an annoying child who turns into a bratty teen, who turns into an asshole adult.

Ruined any and all merchandising/fandom for 15 years, as the fandom was drowned in Prequel faggots who think the prequels are good because "muh lightsaber fights".

There is not a lot of good to say about the Prequels, even dismissing the OT exists.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.