[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Throughout all this Ghostbusters remake hullabaloo, where was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8
File: recall and robocop2.jpg (273 KB, 1058x800) Image search: [Google]
recall and robocop2.jpg
273 KB, 1058x800
Throughout all this Ghostbusters remake hullabaloo, where was the hate train for the remakes of Robocop and Total Recall?

I felt like I was the only one that was truly livid that two classic Verhoeven movies were being tainted with boorishly CGI driven imitators, and still haven't seen either out of protest.

Yet, people were okay with Total Recall (despite the charisma vacuum that is Colin Farrell) and people even LIKED the new Robocop despite it lacking any good satire (A parody of Fox News and Bill O'Reilly? Oh my god this has never been done before!) and a fun but at the same time, plausibly gritty looking future (ED-209's in Iraq lmao)

So truly, why does the new Ghostbusters get the hate? Why the backlash against reboots now?
>>
File: SD9xign.png (499 KB, 958x928) Image search: [Google]
SD9xign.png
499 KB, 958x928
>and still haven't seen either out of protest.
>>
The producers of Total Recall and Robocop remakes didn't call us sexist manchildren when we said we thought their movie was shit.
>>
>>71914984
I didn't watch either. I hated that either of those were made. A LOT of people did. I don't know why people are acting like there wasn't outrage on them when there was.
>>
Biel detected.
>>
>>71914984
I watched Total Recall but I almost fell asleep through it and don't even remember very much about it. I started to watch Robocop but stopped after a certain point because it was just awful.

I was vocally against these remakes from when they were first announced since the originals were just so well done that they never needed to be remade. A lot of people were against them.
>>
File: gavan_robocop.jpg (69 KB, 795x589) Image search: [Google]
gavan_robocop.jpg
69 KB, 795x589
>>
>>71915789
Mah brother of African descent.
>>
total recall wasnt bad, robocop was total dogshit though
>>
>>71914984
Fan of the originals didn't go see them. Normal fags didn't care enough about the complaints from nerds and didn't care. They flopped naturally.
Those movies didn't have the liberal narrative need to create a fire storm about sexism and misogyny so no liberal press to back it up.
>>
>>71914984
>where was the hate train for the remakes of Robocop and Total Recall?

everywhere? especially here?

were you in a cave or something?
>>
File: jiban_by_unded-d8469b7.jpg (122 KB, 752x1063) Image search: [Google]
jiban_by_unded-d8469b7.jpg
122 KB, 752x1063
>>71915789
Robocap was actually inspired by Jiban.
They have direct parallels to each other.
Which is cool because Jiban is fucking awesome.
>>
I think everyone just rolled their eyes and ignored those movies. Ghostbusters ran a marketing campaign where the goal was to make it seem that anyone who didn't like or watch it was sexist, so fuck them.
>>
>>71915925
Pretty much this. The only reason why Ghostbuster was even on the radar was because so many SJW, Jew media, and normal fags came to it's defense because it had a female cast and was being harshly criticized.
>>
>>71914984
I loathed both on principle although both were semi-decent ""modern"" adaptations. (I.e. minus everything that made the 80s movies fuxking awesome).

Ghostbusters 2016 pisses meboff more for two reasons.
1. They want a license to print money by using a new found gimick to rationalize what are actually extremely uncreative remakes. This will blow up of successful and its already in the next Oceans movie.
2. Because they want to use the all woman gimmick to be immune to criticism.
>>
>>71915996
Jiban came after Robocop, pal. He was inspired by Gavan and 8-Man
>>
>>71915885
But I'm Irish
>>
>>71914984
yeah you're right everybody loved total recall and robocop 2014 from the start.

My eyes are open now. I am a monster for not paying to see these films
>>
>>71914984
These don't have large, basically mainstream audiences of diehard fans. They weren't really considered sacred.
>>
>>71914984
How many times are you going to ask this fucking question OP?
>>
>>71914984
The difference is ghostbusters has female leads and that triggers anyone who can't get laid.
>>
>>71914984
>http://archive.4plebs.org/tv/search/text/remake%20hullabaloo%2C%20where%20was%20the%20hate%20train%20for%20the%20remakes%20of%20Robocop%20and%20Total%20Recall/

Hve you nothing better to do than repost this thread word-for-word every fucking day?
>>
>>71915049
But you are sexist man children
>>
>>71914984

Stop posting.
People have been against remakes since they started making them. People have been against reboots, rehashes, sequels released years after, remakes, side-quels, etc since they started doing them in the early 2000s.

People were against them in the 80s. Science fiction fans were strongly opposed to remaking science fiction classics from the 1950s. The thing was, a lot of those movies took them in a new direction. They used other works as inspirations, changed the themes, made them strange and weird and fun.

Remakes now are just cash-grabs. There's no imagination, no ambition.

Robocop 2014 could have been an incredible satire and gristly action flick. Instead, we got a shitty family drama and cookie-cut corporate villains we've seen for years.

Fuck remakes.
>>
>>71915041
What's the problem with that?
>>
>>71915382
>>
>>71915996
Wrong.

Robocop was inspired by Gavan. Jiban was inspired by Robocop. Jiban was made several years later.

Jiban is the fucking tits, though. Still living in the hope Bandai will make an SH Figuarts of him.
>>
>>71914984
>Why the backlash against reboots now?
It's because of those movies that there is a backlash. Robocop was the last straw.

That's why it pisses me off when guys like Patton Oswalt and Chris Hardwick, who hated remakes, are all of a sudden all for the new Ghostbusters.
>>
>>71914984
I said this in an earlier thread in much longer form, but:

- Robocop was a dead franchise that had been run into the ground by terrible follow-up projects like the TV series and the Prime Directives movies, rebooting accepted by most fans as the only way to save it
- They promised Total Recall would be 'closer to the book'

Obviously in reality Robocop was crushingly mediocre and Total Recall was the short story in name only with a few hamfisted callbacks to the previous movie.

I think Total Recall was the biggest waste, it had some really great production designs and worldbuilding, but every time Quaid, Hauser, Cohagen, etc got mentioned it took me completely out of the film. It would have been much better as its own original cyberpunk thing.
>>
>>71916775

I liked the new Robocop. It was a shame that they made it a reboot rather than a sequel establishing a new story arc.
>>
Biel detected.
>>
>>71915049
^this. All this
>>
>>71916848
It wasn't a particularly great film, people only hold it in somewhat high esteem due to that amazing scene where they strip his mechanics away to reveal what's left underneath.

I agree it could have been much better if it had been a sort-of sequel, sort-of reboot that used the original as a jumping-off point. Also if they'd moved the action to a new city - LA would have been a good pick.
>>
>>71914984
Stop making this fucking thread every day.
>>
People were shitting on Robocop before it was released.
>>
>people are unironically responding to this pasta
>>
>>71914984
I didn't even dislike the remake of Robocop.
It was a interesting take on it.
The total recall remake was boring as hell though.
>>
People are fucking sick of remakes:

Psycho (1998)
Godzilla (1998)
The Haunting (1999)
Get Carter (2000)
Hollow Man (2000)
Planet of the Apes (2001)
Rollerball (2002)
The Longest Yard (2005)
The Bad News Bears (2005)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
The Fog (2005)
War of the Worlds (2005)
The Wicker Man (2006)
The Pink Panther (2006)
The Omen (2006)
Sleuth (2007)
Bangkok Dangerous (2008)
The Day The Earth Stood Still (2008)
Taking of Pelham 123 (2009)
Clash of the Titans (2010)
Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
Tron Legacy (2010)
The Karate Kid (2010)
Straw Dogs (2011)
Arthur (2011)
Conan The Barbarian (2011)
The Thing (2011)
Fright Night (2011)
Total Recall (2012)
Oldboy (2013)
Godzilla (2014)
Poltergeist (2015)
Pan (2015)

All of these movies are either notoriously bad or completely unforgettable. They weren’t fun; you don’t remember the characters, the lines, or the performances. People were just collecting a paycheck on an existing license the studio paid for previously. There are obvious exceptions. Some remakes are good, but those are the exception. Generally there is no imagination or creativity involved.

Some of these movies had some redeeming quality, but which ones are 'good'? Do you remember Keanu's performance in The Day The Earth Stood Still? Are you going to defend Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes?
>>
>>71917262
also help me out /tv/
What are some remakes (from 2000ish onward) that you fucking hated?
>>
>>71915789
Plus it had a movie 2 years before the Robocop remake
>>
>>71914984
>Robocop and Total Recall?
Kind of shitty to begin with.
>>
I definitely remember seeing a lot of hate for the Robocop remake on the run up to it. That film has a real cult following behind it and everyone was shitting all over the new design, the fact he can jump, the plot changes, the recycled elements from the old film etc.

I think everyone knew as soon as they heard Colin Farrell was the lead in the Total Recall film it was going to be complete trash and just ignored it.

I'm honestly not sure why the new Ghostbusters is getting the level of hate it is, I suspect it's a vocal minority contributing to most of it. I'm a fan of the originals, I think the new one looks awful from the trailers, I'm not going to see it, I don't feel the need to spam the YouTube comments sections or anonymous imageboards with hate for it.
>>
>>71914984
considering the reboot for robocop only happened because another movie in development got canned and it looked better well i dont think any one was to thrilled robocop got a reboot

and total recall was shit to begin with. it was always a dumb movie about putting a atmosphere on mars even though it doesnt have a strong enough magnetic field to support a atmosphere for long before the solar wind blows it away
>>
I saw this exact same OP (image too) word for word at the weekend. Fuck off nerd.
>>
>>71915049
Nail on the head.

People were willing to let it slide once the commotion died down and the trailer looked awful. Then all of a sudden when criticism of the trailer and a decision to not see the movie meant you were a misogynist/sexist man-baby people developed a real desire to see the movie tank

Turns out insulting people for disagreeing with you and building strawmen doesn't make people change their minds... Who would have thought..
>>
>>71914984
>where was the hate train for the remakes of Robocop and Total Recall?
Were you living under a rock during those days?
>>
>>71916109
So he's right then
>>
>>71914984
People said they were shit when the trailers came out and moved on.
>>
>>71916275
What? Literally nobody cares about Ghostbusters, while Robocop is a classic action movie.
>>
>>71914984
they were shit. i dont even know how you remember them
>>
>>71918903
>Literally nobody cares about Ghostbusters
nice bait
>>
>>71918936
But it's true, the only reason people are having a fit is because of the SJWs. If it was just a straight remake with a male cast nobody would have given a shit, but since the marketting relied on calling men who don't want to see it sexist manchildren it triggered a response.
>>
>>71918981
>If it was just a straight remake with a male cast nobody would have given a shit
yes they would and even before the cast was announced people bemoaned the rumors of it being a reboot and shit all over it

The original was the highest grossing movie of 1984 and a massive cultural influence for a decade afterward
>>
Ghostbusters 2016 is unique in that is spawned from the ashes of Ghostbusters 3, a film that was teased to be happening by Dan Aykroyd on and off for YEARS. Then, Harold Ramis died, and it turned into a remake, something no one wanted. Then Bill Murray decides to cameo in it, when he in the past denied starring in Ghostbusters 3 multiple times and was supposedly the main reason why it was never made. So, no fucking shit there's some hatred for the new movie. It's the spit in the face after the nail in the coffin that was Harold Ramis's death.
>>
>>71919036
Maybe in America, I don't know, but nobody in Europe gives a shit about Ghostbusters. They're just two fun movies and that's it.
>>
>>71919088
>Maybe in America
Obviously I'm talking about America. Why on earth wouldn't I be? It's an American movie with American and Canadian actors/writers.
>>
>>71919088
>Maybe in America
Absolutely in america.

Two movies, a 7 season cartoon, countless tows/action figures, clothing/lunchboxes/backpacks, even had a fucking breakfast cereal

Ghostbusters was fucking everywhere
>>
>>71919135
I'm just saying Robocop is a classic everywhere, Ghostbusters is just a local thing. People moaned about Robocop and Total Recall being remade, the movies bombed and that's it. Ghostbusters' shitstorm is due to the stupid SJW crap they're trying to pull.
>>
>>71916655
>Patton Oswalt and Chris Hardwick
They are literally male geek girls who have to signal how geeky they are. They also massive numale SJW faggots.
I use to follow these guys years ago but progressively I started to realize just how fucking horrible they are.
>>
>>71917262
>Tfw liked The Longest Yard

It ain't easy b-being cheesy..!
>>
>>71917262
>War of the Worlds (2005)
>Fright Night (2011)
>Godzilla (2014)

These weren't bad.

Also, neither Pan nor the 2011 The Thing were remakes.
>>
>>71919187
>Ghostbusters' shitstorm is due to the stupid SJW crap they're trying to pull.
It's more due to the heavy insistence that disliking the trailer/concept makes you a sexist
>>
>>71919187
>Ghostbusters is just a local thing
Nigga is you serious?
Ghostbusters was a global phenomenon.
Granted the hype died down after the sequel happened. But that movie was hot in many countries.
>>
>>71914984
>why does the new Ghostbusters get the hate

Because an ideological motive existed in it being made and has been shat out in the face of anyone who said this movie was indeed as ill advised as Robocop or Total Recall.

But now, the feminist brigade that tied themselves to this movie as if it's a cultural watershed, have started to back away from it, perhaps smelling a stinker in the making.

Like this excerpt of a Forbes blog piece, they now have to backpedal from the notion that this is a litmus test for society by.. claiming that's "it's just a movie you guys". So that the failure of the movie is not an implication of the failure of their cause, or marketing something by telling people not seeing it is an attack on women.

> Why the backlash against reboots now?

This, and the fact that you keep reposting this OP, just shows your dishonesty. Hollywood reboots have been despised for years now. Even industry insiders are saying it's a problem when everything needs to be tied to something that already made money.
>>
>>71919187
>Robocop is a classic everywhere
Eh I'm going to have to disagree.

Maybe it's because GB is a "Halloween movie" but everyone I know has seen the original.

I've never seen Robocop and few of my friends had seen Robocop prior to the reboot drawing attention to it. It's always been seen as a "decent 80s movie" but not a staple of American culture.
>>
>>71917262
I liked The Wicker Man remake because it foretold the happenings of SJW and extreme feminism. Feminists hate the movie so I like it even more.
The message was good the execution not that great.
>>
>>71917262
Tron Legacy wasn't a remake. That was literally a sequel to Tron. Tron nerds loved it because of that and wanted another one but it didn't appeal to the masses so Disney didn't make another. They gave it a cartoon which was also cancelled.
>>
>>71914984
>Yet, people were okay with Total Recall (despite the charisma vacuum that is Colin Farrell) and people even LIKED the new Robocop

No they were not, and no they didn't, respectively.
>>
You stupid fag! The answer is simple: Ghostbusters was one remake too many. It was the drop that spilled the cup.

Hollywood went too far. People have understood that it's the right time to get vocal now - and they did by downvoting the hell out of the youtube trailers. People felt it was time to send a clear message to hollywood that those kinds of shitty remakes are not appreciated.

Add to the fact that people were just upset that the reboot ghostbusters, who have always been charismatic male actors, were replaced with 4 unfunny, stupid bitches AND that the cgi looked like total shit.
>>
>>71916333
Yes, but those remakes didn't explicitly point this out.
>>
>>71916655
>Robocop was the last straw.

Haha! Yeah right, fat neckbeard. How odd that the same shit was said by gamergater faggots when asked why they suddenly cared about ethics in gaming journalism when some slag got caught cheating with one.
>>
File: 4568946794670.jpg (470 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
4568946794670.jpg
470 KB, 2048x1365
>>71914984
The Robocop remake was actually a lot better than I was expecting, and was surprisingly decent. I don't think it deserved to flop.
>>
>>71919246

The sad part is that it's the best film in that list and also one of the best Sandler films.
>>
>>71919897
Agreed. I didn't "hate" the new Robocop, it definitely tried. Since they already got the kinks out with the first movie, I wouldn't mind a sequel in the same world, albeit with an "R" rating.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.