[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the point of this scene?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: 2016-07-12_12-22-49.jpg (179 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-12_12-22-49.jpg
179 KB, 1920x1080
What was the point of this scene?
>>
to show through the repeating symbolism of bears that Jack raped Danny
>>
>>71904190
If you weren't totally retarded you'll know the meaning of this: Kubrick faked the moon landing.
>>
>>71904190
Read the book
>>
really makes you think...
>>
>>71904229
rly?
>>
One of the most chilling and unexpected shots in The Shining (1980) comes in the form of a man in a horrible, fat bear suit fellating a gentleman in a tuxedo. The act is seemingly interrupted by Wendy’s (Shelley Duvall) presence as she ascends a stairwell while running through the hotel after helping Danny escape through a window. The two gentlemen turn and stare directly into the camera in a shot that lasts only a few very uncomfortable seconds but lingers in the memory forever and fosters many questions about what exactly the point of it was. The shot comes out of nowhere, has no context and is plain creepy.

This shot is one of many elements of the novel that were included in the film with no explanation but which have a story in Stephen King's novel. The story goes that the man in the tuxedo is Horace Derwent, a former owner of The Overlook hotel. Derwent, a very eccentric bisexual, is a Howard Hughes-type figure who invested millions of dollars into the hotel's construction. The fellow in the suit (in the book it’s a dog suit - in the film, a bear) is Roger, a former lover of Derwent's who still pines after him. Derwent had told the man that if he came to a masked ball at the hotel wearing a dog suit, he may consider having sex with him. So he did (presumably, although it's not explicit whether they actually had sex). Of course, all of this took place in the past.
>>
>>71904190
I figure it's there to show you that some weird ass shit as gone down at that hotel in the past.
>>
>>71905193
hell yeah thats right brother
>>
>>71904190
Oh, this thread again....

Must be a slow time and mods are posting pasta threads to make the boards seem more busy.
>>
>>71904921
its pre convincing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NxHrbfxaLI
>>
>>71905350
This is what film majors do
>>
>>71905350

Tony is a literal cock. That's horrifying.
>>
>>71904190
whats with the predator face though
>>
Is that a pig or bear?
>>
File: 1466201237146.jpg (46 KB, 631x467) Image search: [Google]
1466201237146.jpg
46 KB, 631x467
It's a reference.
>>
>>71907233

i heard myself laugh and I'm a big guy
>>
File: dad bane.png (564 KB, 625x347) Image search: [Google]
dad bane.png
564 KB, 625x347
>>71907233

You take it off to suck you retard!
>>
>>71905094

This.

They are just some of the memories replayed by the overlook. Sadly the back story for Stuart Ullman and his connecting to the strange goings on was removed from the film and its ending where he passes Danny the ball the appeared from nowhere in the corridor deleted.
>>
File: Tf.png (7 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
Tf.png
7 KB, 645x773
>>71905094
>mfw the real real backstory
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.