[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At what point in GoT did you feel it stopped being comfy and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: c9lzmv4d3mgzpnyntz7s.jpg (64 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
c9lzmv4d3mgzpnyntz7s.jpg
64 KB, 800x450
At what point in GoT did you feel it stopped being comfy and you noticed something was wrong?

I say it was s5ep1
>>
Early in Season 2 when I realized they royally fucked up Stannis and Renly's storyline.
>>
>>71899692
The only problem is how fast the pacing of the show increased which to me began around the beginning of Season 5.

Apart from the lackluster Arya surviving all those wounds; the show is pretty perfect but it really feels like they are moving too fast with lots of plots being cut out (no Night King at end of Season 6? Are you insane HBO)?

It also is so predictable now. We all know Dany is going to take over King's Landing whilst a massive war with the White Walkers will commence and thanks to Jon Snow who will have Lady Stoneheart helping him I presume - they will defeat the Night King and his minions.

It would be better actually if they make no one win instead of Dany becoming the Queen of Westeros and that's it...
>>
>>71899692
There were moments previous, but I think the major tipping point for me when I just couldn't stand the shows anymore was when Jaime raped Cersei. I don't mind those faggots taking some artistic license with the source material but right about then, I'd reached my fill.
>>
>>71899790
>pacing of the show increased
>predictable

This is what is ruining it for me.
>>
>>71899692
Pod not having to pay at the brothel it still pisses me off
>>
>>71899790
>pacing of the show increased
Whay? This show is snail paced. Probably my biggest problem with it is how it hits and absolute standstill after the first season. Like, everything they've shown with Danny in the last 5 seasons could have been condensed into a single season.

Absolutely NOTHING happened in kings landing for the first 9 episodes of the previous season.
>>
File: ParaUsted.gif (668 KB, 245x260) Image search: [Google]
ParaUsted.gif
668 KB, 245x260
>>71899692
>s5ep1
Lucky you.
Oberyn dying was the final moment of me caring, but it stopped being comfy in season 3.
>>
essentially the first episode when i realized it was reddit incarnate
>>
>>71900907

Riiiight, Dany becoming a conqueror, getting an army and a fleet, uniting the Dothraki horses and the dragons growing up should all have happened in a couple of episodes
>>
>>71899692

Yeah some point is s5
>>
S1 is one of the greatest seasons of anything ever. It was all downhill from there, although I'd argue that S4 was the point where the shittiness of the last two books and the even-shittierness of D&D's original writing began to really take hold
>>
>>71901053
it kinda did though
>>
>>71899692
Major diversions from the books, teleporting, invincible dany god moments every season.

First 2 seasons were lit, now it's just dragging out the series for money.

I thought the show was going to fix AFFC/ADWD plot plaits but it didn't, silly me. Fuck you, Dave and Dan, you promised me way way back.
>>
>>71901053
Yeah, it actually should have. It would be pretty easy to fit that in 10 episodes. Most of her scenes are just filler anyway.

A lot of the show is filler actually. If you cut out all the scenes that bare no relevance to the overall plot you could probably lose an entire season or 2.
>>
>>71901053
It's not like anything seriously bad happens to Dany, nothing she can't get out of

Kill one of the fucking dragons or something.
>>
Halfway through Season 5 when NOTHING was happening was when I started to get disillusioned. Then Hardhome hit and it reminded me of what I watched the show. Unfortunately, Season 6 just zipped through a dozen plots, not letting anything simmer, just tons of set up for the next two seasons, which did not sit right with me in a lot of ways.

As someone mentioned it all became so predictable, which is to be expected given all the "fan theories" out there that were basically known to be true. I don't think that is a reasonable excuse though because up until Season 6 the whole general storyboard was laid out in the text. So what changed?

The biggest issue for me was that the scenes that are interspersed between the plot-driving scenes are now awkward due to writing and acting. In the first / second season the dialogue between characters was a perfect mix of verbosity / exposition / intensity and formed the backbone of the entire show. Now it's just pure verbosity and it feels forced.

GRRM is not a great or original storyteller, but damn could the motherfucker prose. Losing his books for reference and his talents on the writing team have really caused the quality to go down. The most memorable scene of the season was Tower of Joy, ripped straight from the pages.
>>
Can anyone here explain these two things to me:

1. What was the point of Bran going back in time to see Ned Stark learning to joust as a child an ultimate turning hodor brain dead? Like, it didn't have anything to do with his role as the 3 eyed raven.

2. Why didn't melisandre just summon a demon assassin to kill Ramsay on either of the 2 times she was involved with battles against him?

Is there any actual in-universe explanation for either of these things, or is the answer just bad writing?
>>
the fake play was better than all of season 1-6 combined
>>
File: 1466110268146s.jpg (1 KB, 125x46) Image search: [Google]
1466110268146s.jpg
1 KB, 125x46
>>71901088
>>
The problems with the show are:

1. Bad pacing. We spend two seasons on the religious and dynastic struggle in Kings Landing. Cersei resolves it by blowing everybody up in ten minutes. We spend an awful season in Dorne where everybody tries to keep the status quo only for a nonsensical massacre to break out at the last second. We spend a season waiting for Stannis to take Winterfell, then we spend a season waiting for Jon to do it. We spent two seasons waiting for Dany to corral the slave cities, her dragons end up solving the problem instantly.
2. Lack of interesting plots. The Red Wedding and then Joffrey's death removed the biggest driving factor in the plot at the time. I agree with GRRM that killing the characters off is fine since they aren't important to the resolution of the story, but he did it before any of the other plots had been developed enough to have similarly-high stakes, which I think is why the last two books are both boring slogs through yet more stuff that won't ultimately affect the ending.
3. Plot contrivance. Characters seem to act in ways that are only designed to advance the plot to the next point, rather than reacting to each other naturally and in line with their own personalities, as in the early seasons. Sansa and Ramsay are a good example of this, as they had to trip over themselves to explain away all the problems such an arrangement would have caused with the Lannisters and Arryns; the fact that they murdered the Dornish royal family after fucking up the story there is another good example. It makes the political side of the story much less intriguing when you know the resolutions aren't ultimately going to make any sense.
>>
I might be 2 seasons late but can someone explain to me what is with the Dorne storyline and why?

What was wrong with the original plot in the books? Not fast-paced enough for TV? The "let's crown Myrcella" plot wasn't even a great storyline to begin with, so they made it even worse?
>>
Around season 4 it just got boring. Last three seasons feels like I'm only watching because I got so emotionally invested in the characters from the first three seasons.
>>
>>71901088
well said
>>
Not including the twist that Tysha was legit Tyrion's wife.
>>
>>71902028
Too many new characters with unclear motivations, not enough old ones, and the fact that they threw Aegon out probably made it worse.

Anyways, like most of D&D's 'original' twists to GRRM's work, it's not bad because it's different from the story, it's bad because D&D are hacks.
>>
>>71899692
after the red wedding

its clear grrm is stretching a trilogy into 7 books
>>
>>71902277
>7
Don't you mean 8?
>>
>>71899692
When the first four episodes of season 5 leaked early last year, I was so excited. One comfy night ahead of me I thought.
It was terrible.

Stannis doddling around at the wall forever. Arya's story crawling along. Sansa going to the boltons was crazy
>chaosh

That all really bothered me. It was definitely at a new low when the rape happened. The jaime/cersei one. It made no sense. That's where I really felt it becoming the dabid and dan show
>>
http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/tt0944947

>still supporting the first season was the best meme
>>
>>71901053
it kinda did. they gave her a navy when she conquered meereen, only to take it away so they could have westerosi allies give her another one.

they really don't plan this shit out that well. the acquisition of the fleet one a one liner. they coulda cut that ship burning scene this season and done something else with that time
>>
>>71900954
I completely agree. Oberyn was the last character I genuinely cared about. He was well written and acted and I really wanted to see him succeed.

Jon is fine I guess but that's only because he's the last character who isn't terribly written or a cunt.
>>
File: its_rad.jpg (51 KB, 609x639) Image search: [Google]
its_rad.jpg
51 KB, 609x639
>>71901239
accurad post
>>
>>71902371
>people thought Oberyn was going to live
I wish he did so they didn't have to constantly remind me that Oberyn laid with as many men as he did women every Dorne scene
>>
>>71902294
9 obviously. a trilotriad
>>
>>71902456
I wish Dorne was better if for no other reason than to avenge Oberyn properly. There's a sad irony in that my favourite character on the show spawned my least favourite story arc.
>>
>>71902343
>imdb ratings

No. IMDB users are children who confuse something exciting happening for good television. The last episode could be filmed entirely out-of-focus with boom mics in the frame and those retards would still give it a 10/10 for the scene where Dany's last remaining dragon suddenly swoops down and incinerates the Night's King as he's about to slay Jon.
>>
>>71899897
yea. what the fuck did he do to those whores?
>>
Very end of season 4
>>
>>71901260
I think the 2nd one didn't work because she needs kings blood to summon those demons. Not sure though
>>
>>71899692
Turning point for me was the introduction of the sand sneks, season 6 did alright though those last 2 eps were amazing
>>
>>71902874
This.

No where do the whores go, no Tyrion telling Jaime that Cersei is a mega-slut, dem skeleton warriors and an underwhelming reveal for the 3-eyed-raven.
>>
When they changed Cersei and Jaime fucking in the sept from a scene where she hasnt seen him in 2 years and they both wanna fuck even though he s still in rags and has chicken arm in a sling. She hops up on brier , guides his dick in while saying 'yes, my brother ..now ..now! ' comes immediately , starts kissing his ear so he ll hurry up and jizz, he does and his tried to get affection and she's like 'get the fuck off me ' then hops off brier and is like 'a) yucky stump b) you seem off'. Literally 100% opposite in the dumb fucking show and that stupid pig grunty rape is just for 'poor cersei, miz understood ' points and to tie her anger at him to a rape in the sept she later blows up , i e avenges herself from evil sister fucker. Dumbest fucking shit. They must really love Lena Heady make such weird plot diversions , all in the name of Cersei Sour Hour Of Power
>>
>>71899737
>muh peach
>>
bronn best charecter
>>
>>71901260
First one is probably to teach Bran to be responsible with his time travel powers or some shit like that. For the second one, the creation of a shadow demon drains your life force. In the books it is noted that Stannis looks almost ten years older after he and Melly do their magic
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.