[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could a Hotline Miami movie work? Could you retain the plot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8
File: 87 - 1RfKpSW.jpg (331 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
87 - 1RfKpSW.jpg
331 KB, 1600x1000
Could a Hotline Miami movie work?
Could you retain the plot or would it have to be Hardcore Henry style, pure violence?
>>
It wouldn't be the same experience. It'd have to be a lot of pure violence to get the same message of "you don't care about story, you just want to hurt people" sent, while still working the story and timeline in.

And the ending would be incredibly disappointing in movie form, since you're not as involved.
>>
>>71897635
I think you could twist the narrative a bit to make it work a bit more.

Make the movie about the realities of a man going on a vengeance based killing spree, about how horrifying it was and I think it could work.
The ending literally only works in vidya though so I have no idea how you'd do that, unless Jacket kills the director in the end.
>>
>>71897635
It would so work for a movie if it was done like a horror. It would be an interesting device to put the audience in position where they feel inflicted upon much like the protagonist. It's a story about death of one's self. There's potential. It could be done best like a 'mockudrama' aka found footage.

It would be dumb as shit, but frankly I would love the chance to do something like that. It should be just a grind house movie mockery.

The real twist is to make a subtle message in it. Symbolism and imagery, even though it looks haphazardly done.

I can't think it would be easy, but it could be done with a budget and a meticulous script. Limited dialogue but that would just mean the bits it has mean more.

It's sort of like Gods Among Us already, but just throw in some masks and guys in white suits...

It could really be about almost anything. That's the REAL crux.
>>
Frankly the music for the game is what really did it for me. It was amazing. I would love to see the guys from V/H/S do a feature length of it, with the music guy from Hotline... in a style like Kung Fury without the camp.
>>
>>71897746
I think if you really played up the uncomfort of the violence, part of what made Hotline work really well is that anytime you kill an enemy, they react remarkably realistically, gunshots don't leave little pools of blood, they blow their heads off, rip their arms open, spew intestines all over the limbs

If you make Jacket out to be a slasher movie villain I think you can make the movie work.
He's not qt, or the driver, he's a psychopath
>>
>>71897746
A lot people don't get the real message of Hotline. The orginal game the first half was pointless violence, the second half was the story of how the final boss of the first half got there. It's actually a REALLY interesting story. that should have been made into a fucked up flic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AixOBp15KdI

This is a good video talking about it. Shame this guy didn't do more videos.
>>
>>71897533
Hotline Miami would work better as a cartoon IMO
>>
>>71897812
IT should be a movie about how dumb violence in movies is. How it's not really needed to portray the same message.
>>
Crank and Crank 2 are sort of like Hotline Miami.
>>
File: 2006 A Scanner Darkly 013.jpg (132 KB, 2100x1181) Image search: [Google]
2006 A Scanner Darkly 013.jpg
132 KB, 2100x1181
>>71897843
OMFG a Rotoscope...That wouldn't be as hard to do except only one guy owns the rights to digital rotoshoping like Scanner Darkly. I'd love to see that style done violently.... damn son.
>>
>>71897822
Hotline 1 is so fucking good, it's a shame Hotline 2 decided to focus on the lore of the universe.

The only worthwhile plot in Hotline 2 is the Detective that's deluded himself into thinking he's a hero, when he's really a serial killer.

Everything with Jacket and the Clerk being war vets, to the fans, to the fucking novellist were all nonsense
>>
>>71897884
I don't know why they don't do more stuff, there problem was getting big name actors, it bankrupted them.
>>
>Could a [insert video game] movie work?
the answer is always no, /v/.
>>
>>71897533
Since it borrows a lot of inspiration fron Drive, I think that if an adaptation is ever made, Winding Refn should direct it. Or maybe P.T. Anderson.

The violence would have to be pretty stylish, and the original themes of the game would have to be changed.

Actually, Winding Refn's "claustrophobic" style of violence could work really well.
>>
>>71897843
>>71897884
Considering these days people pretty much expect adult animation to be comedy or dramedy it'd seem groundbreaking to have a dark, disturbing and violent animated series that's completely devoid of comedic elements
>>
>>71897533
They already made John Wick
>>
>>71898104
I would argue John Wick is probably the greatest Max Payne movie ever made.
>>
>>71898053
That's kinda why it has to be done for Hotline...
>>
>>71897533
I think what gives Hotline Miami it's main appeal lore-wise is you controlling Jacket. Without the sense of control, the main message isn't as impacting.
>>
>>71899896
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AixOBp15KdI
>>
The first act is like 3 scenes of just brutal murder. starting with an voice over an answering machine. vivid colors, some interestingly odd angles, like a Manslaughter cut scene.

Second act just a washed out day to day of the character either before or after the other scenes, with some tell tale clues to elude to that. Like taxi driver. Realism photography. MAybe a monologue about the problems of society that's total redpill bullshit that /pol/ would agree with, in character.

The final third is then a cohesive story arc that leads up to a fight with the first character that ends with with a shout out thanks to the crowd source funding only to find out he's talking to the people that helped fund the hotline to get it going, and tie into some weird unground like operation chaos and show that it was just random people under the guise of being for a political movement.

And a new broadcast about violence in movies is causing the mass murders from several young people.

Really it would be nothing without some ARG, but that's just indie films, ya? I think you can blame Blair Witch for it.
>>
>>71897533
of course you COULD retain the plot because the plot is actually really cool but of course any adaptation would be a leddit youtube short film tier hardcore henry meme action movie
>>
File: 1450304341373.gif (967 KB, 245x250) Image search: [Google]
1450304341373.gif
967 KB, 245x250
I would only watch a Hotline film if Ryan Gosling played Jacket
>>
>>71897746
>It's a story about death of one's self
That's the most pretentious thing I've read in a long while and I browse BvS threads daily.
>>
>>71900450
Really good ideas. Second act should just be Jacket going through the tedium of his life, but i think it's essential to show his mental illness. Lots of shots of him hallucinating the corpses of his victims
>>
File: yKkwZo2.jpg (230 KB, 1627x918) Image search: [Google]
yKkwZo2.jpg
230 KB, 1627x918
>>71900496
Jacket is canonically hideous though.

>cocaine addict
>chain smoker to obsessive degrees
>probably doesn't shower
>fucks crack whores

Fan art makes him so qt but he would look like a hobo
>>
>>71900899
I figure rotoshop like Scanner Darkly. Would be nice. Could add in a bunch of cool easter eggs
>>
>>71900988
he is a hobo
>>
>>71900988
You must be atleast 18 to post here
>>
>>71897781
>the music guy from Hotline
the soundtrack was curated from a bunch of different artists

there's almost no original music in the game
>>
>>71901454
M|O|O|N

I dunno, probably even better.
>>
>>71897533
I think it could totally work. I could see it as a series of brutal, violent, gory action sequences interspersed with a David Lynch style surreal dreamlike plot.
>>
>>71901454
Jasper Byrne composed all the music he has in the game if I recall.
>>
File: f3P0fRt.png (278 KB, 680x473) Image search: [Google]
f3P0fRt.png
278 KB, 680x473
Mannys story would make a decent thriller all on its own.
>>
>>71901665
I think it should be an orginal. That's what it should have always been. Copying the orginal is such a hollywood thing to do.
>>
why do so many /v/edditors browse this board, who have the galling taste and sensibilities in thinking that a video game adaptation of a perfectly normal game would float.

also, I've come to realize that HM2 > HM1, but there's something about HM1's short length and small areas that was really charming.
>>
>>71898133
Shame, because Wick was pretty bad...
>>
>>71901932
>have the galling taste and sensibilities in thinking that a video game adaptation of a perfectly normal game would float.
I doubt that they do. More likely, people enjoy a particular style and would like to see it replicated in the media they consume. It's also a chance to have fun coming up with different possibilities, even if they're not realistic.

On topic, there actually was a live action trailer for the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o9SUPgyZRY
>>
>>71897533
I think it could work.

Make it a story about a guy out to save his girlfriend and then slowly descend into madness.
>>
>>71902016
i understand why they want it, it's just that it never ever ever ever works as history shows us, and the original outshines the shitty adapted work.
>>
>>71897897
Everything else was dumb due to how it played out, but I liked pardo and Evans storylines and Evan had a great play style that contradicts his main motivation of learning more about jacket and making it big with a story.
>>
>>71902091
True enough. I feel like the only way Hotline gets explored well is through the fan art.
>>
Refn already made this movie.
>>
>>71897533
they already made one its called drive
>>
>>71902406
I'm convinced the masked assassination scene in Only God Forgives was a nod to Hotline. You know Refn heard about it.
>>
>>71902478
>Masked assassination

Sounds like another case for supercop Manny Pardo to solve.
>>
>>71898104
>CGI blood
>>
You are all missing the point
The only thing that matters when adapting a video game to movie is how the adapt the gameplay element. The only movie that managed to do that was the Super Mario Bros.
So how do you adapt the "Press R to restart" ?
How do you adapt the mask selection ? The quick punch-pickup-throw-space to finish the guy combo ?

I'd love to see Jacket prepare his raid with a construction map and some Fisher-Price figurines. You NEED to see Jacket die a hundred time in the movie
>>
File: PaybackPoster.jpg (36 KB, 297x446) Image search: [Google]
PaybackPoster.jpg
36 KB, 297x446
>>71898133
That's not Payback.
>>
>>71897533
>single take violence scenes that are hype as fuck
>hype music, hype colour, hype cinematography
>slow, dull, surreal exposition scenes as Jacket goes through his story beats
>film swaps to Biker
>his violence scenes are more clinical and even more hype
>keep them really short
>exposition scenes are more logical, but also even more dull
>basic cinematography, no surrealism, no music
>basically just there out of obligation

I think as long as you can juxtapose the "rule of cool" violence and the deliberately underwhelming plot in a deliberate, stylish way you'd be capturing the spirit of the game.
>>
>>71902712

Hardcore Henry?
>>
>>71902712
With VHS-styled rewinds each time he dies
There's a music video I saw at work where the guy is in a club and rewinds to the point of entry every time he gets a bad end - when he gets into a fight, or his drink is spiked or whatever
>>
>>71902016
The Team Fortess 2 remake of the second game's trailer was better

https://youtu.be/XE3M4CLhZAM
>>
>>71902712
>have him run in
>fuck up and die
>VHS static and immediately back to action
>jacket in roughly same location on reset map having already made roughly them same progress as before he died
>repeat
It wouldn't be good for a movie, but it'd work for a short film.
>>
>>71902823
It would be pretty cool to see an action movie where your get to see what happens when the protagonist fails to pull off his cool moves and stuff.
>>
>>71898133
Max Payne 4 when ? 3 is the best TPS out there
>>
>>71897533
The game in itself didn't retain an elaborate plot at all, and I don't think it was meant to.
I think it would work as a feature length film but it'd have to cut ties with the game, at least to an extent.
>>
Can anyone explain the ending of the second game to me? You kill the Swans with a fireaxe but we saw before that it was actually another guy who killed them using a gun?
>>
>>71902512
Skin too thicc.
>>
>>71902823
That would be the best way to do it I think. You see the failures first, then he realizes a plan around it, and does it right and it turns out to be him standing at the door running possibilities in his head, before all the successful runs become reality with very minor differences to show that his plans aren't perfect.
>>
>>71897533
Why would you want to make a cinematic adaptation of a game that was inspired by a movie in the first place?
Just watch "Drive", for fuck's sake.
>>
>>71897884
>>71897912

A Scanner Darkly was friggin awesome. Neither Robert Downey Jr. nor Woody Harrelson have done anything as great since.
>>
>>71902759
damn son, i think we hit gold.
>>
>>71902954
what have i been doing with my life
>>
>>71902954
i swear if they could do a full video, that would actually be the way to do it, just replace the models a bit... like seriously... it would actually make the games make more sense if that was what the world was like tooo .....
>>
>>71902954
just that camera always moving shit is what i want in my movie
>>
>>71902955
Momento style, then every scene would end not making sense since he died the last time....
>>
>>71903190
there was a hidden easter egg you had to find a bunch of little pixels to unlock, it was dumb as fuck, but it shows there was more thought in it then most people thought...
>>
>>71902478
what scene are you talking about? i saw that film again the other week and have no idea what you mean
the one where the biker tries to kill all the cops? the one where gosling kills the guard outside the house?
they never wear masks though
>>
nope, because the game is a strong critique on video game violence and the controversy surrounding it, at every moment the game tries to prove that "violence comes naturally".
A hotline miami movie might work but as a horror psychological thriller,though.(I'd kill for a hotline miami movie directed by Refn or Lynch)
>>
>>71902954
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URv8bDxXPCA
Just found this after searching for more like that
>>
>>71903238
Same guy.
Just drugged up from his perspective.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.