[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Back in 1999 : Did star wars fans already know that he was Darth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: Senator_palpatine.png (870 KB, 1250x816) Image search: [Google]
Senator_palpatine.png
870 KB, 1250x816
Back in 1999 :
Did star wars fans already know that he was Darth Sidious ?
>>
Yes, books and comics already put them in the know
>>
I wonder what watching Star Wars would be like if you have never seen it before and started from episode 1 and went to episode 6
>>
>>71893770
Of course, he's played by the same actor
>>
the average moviegoer? Probably not

but they were played by the same actor from RoTJ and I'm pretty sure his name was given as Emperor Palpatine in some drafts of the original trilogy scripts, or maybe some expanded universe shit
>>
>>71893795
it would make the kissing scene between Luke and Leia a bit more awkward
>>
My friend didn't know until 3

How the fuck he didn't I don't know

I knew from his nose in 1
>>
>>71893770
I assume anyone who recognized that it was the same actor from ROTJ had some serious suspicions, but back then a lot of people didn't know about imdb or even have the internet yet so only star wars fanatics would have realized this back in 99.
>>
>>71893770

I didn't figure it out until I got up to episode 6.
>>
Emp being Palpatine was already known.

Though I remember in high school after EpII came out some kids were wondering when the Emperor would show up.
>>
File: 1355396256388.jpg (3 KB, 125x118) Image search: [Google]
1355396256388.jpg
3 KB, 125x118
>>71893832
shit i never thought of that
>>
I found out from some Phantom Menace art book that called him Emperor Palpatine. I was like wtf? Nah dude, I think most people didn't know because most people didn't think while watching these movies. At all. Then Plinkett happened and now here we are
>>
>>71893795
Tried this with one of my friends. The prequels pretty much ruin all the reveals of the OT because George didn't have the sense to think that people would WATCH MOVIES IN NUMERICAL ORDER and fucking spells out who Luke's father and sister are and that Obi Wan lied about Anakin being dead.
>>
>>71893795
That's how I first watched the series back when I was 11 or 12. Rented the DVDs from my library and just kinda blasted through 'em.

I remember being disappointing at the drop-off in special effects quality after ep 3. Also, Jar Jar was my favorite and was disappointed he wasn't used as much in later episodes.

Say what you will about Lucas, he knew exactly who he was pandering to.
>>
>>71893770
Yes, otherwise they'd be fucking retard.
>>
>>71893793
>>71893811
Ok thanks. Because i was wondering if people figured it out by being attentive during the movie (same bottom face, the camera that focuses on palpatine when yoda is wondering who is the other sith...).
>>
You'd have to be fucking brain-dead not to realise. I was 10 and I got it straight away. It wasn't even supposed to be a surprise.
>>
>>71893940
This. Even at 8 I knew.
>>
>>71893940
well i was 8 and i thought that annakin was younger luke.
>>
People on newsgroups and forums were making guesses and there were people who disagreed with them.
>>
>>71893770
Are you fucking kidding? His name is Palpatine. It wasn't a hidden fact. If you didn't know from the first second of Ep 1, you are an idiot or you were like 10
>>
>>71895108

Being 10 is no excuse, I knew it from age 5, not like you had to do some serious dot connecting to get to the right conclusion.
>>
>>71893795
That's the way I watched for the first time. It's one of hell of a epic ride, starting slow and gradually becoming better. Of course I knew most of the twists and turns thanks to pop culture, but was still a fun ride anyway.
>>
>>71893770
>Ian McDiarmid portrayed Emperor Palpatine in Return of the Jedi in 1983

>The same actor returns to play a Senator with the same name in 1999

GOSH I WONDER WHO THAT COULD BE
>>
I was 12. I remember my friend's dad pointing it out to us and I remember being totally convinced at the end of the movie when he had the cloak over his head at the funeral.
>>
>>71893770

I was like 9 and even I could tell he was fucking Sidious. It wasn't hard.
>>
I was 7 and had never seen the previous movies and knew the minute he sent darth maul to try and kill them on that desert planet. If you didn't know you're probably legally retarded and you should kill yourself
>>
I think more people didn't realize HE was what the title was referring to
>>
>>71895108
He wasn't called Palpatine in the original trilogy.
>>
I was like 9 when I first saw it and I got it right away.

Was that supposed to be a huge twist or something?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xikvfx65u9A

whenever I see capeshit

>Do you still live at home with your mother?
>No, do you?
>>
File: 1460943100357s.jpg (2 KB, 104x125) Image search: [Google]
1460943100357s.jpg
2 KB, 104x125
>>71896163
Really? Is been a while but I thought I always knew him as Emperor Palpatine.

Can't remember if I knew or not, but I feel like everyone knew he was the emperor, I think it wasn't hidden even in the lead up to the movie. It was more about "how does he rise to power?"
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.