[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Night Of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 11
File: the-night-of[1].jpg (61 KB, 780x519) Image search: [Google]
the-night-of[1].jpg
61 KB, 780x519
New HBO mini series premiered today (although the first episode was already available online)

Thoughts?
>>
It's amazing.
>>
I thought it was excellent (Main character is a bit of a dunce but, who knows how one would act in that situation) , really looking forward to the next episode.
>>
>>71875961
Not understanding the acclaim so far. There was nothing to it. A by-the-numbers, cliched murder so far of the Law and Order variety. Turturro brought some charisma w/ 5 minutes left. Otherwise, pretty weak.
>>
>>71876308

I agree that it's kind of derivative, but this is still probably the most well made show I've seen in a while, so I'll be excited to return to it every week. I do hope it won't turn out to be just another trite murder mystery. Maybe it'll go to strange new places soon?
>>
Liked it so far. I wonder why Bodie said he was alone when he met Naz on the street. That other guy gave Naz a weird look.
And when is Omar coming?
>>
despite the fact that the episode was throwing clues at you everywhere ... timestamps, location, possible suspects etc, I don't think this is going to be a whodunit series. I am looking forward to ep2.

https://youtu.be/vHdriTqbKxM - preview of ep2.
>>
>>71876618
>I wonder why Bodie said he was alone when he met Naz on the street.

He probably just didn't want to bring his friend into this shit.
>>
Gorgeously shot and cinematography was great up until the morning he wakes up to his nightmare.

After that, I stopped giving a fuck since directing and cinematography lost all inspiration
>>
>>71875961
It was really good but I'm a bit concerned how it will go on since I loved the atmosphere and tension of the first episode. Great casting, can't wait to see more of Turturro and based rubber dinghy rapids.
>>
>>71876618
That guy is the killer obviously
>>
>>71876947
that would be too obvious
>>
>>71877047
You are assuming people have deductive skills. 85% of people probably didn't even remember the guy or notice Bodie left him out of the story.
>>
>>71877047
it's not very nuanced so far, that was likely supposed to count as subtlety
>>
>>71875961
"The Night Of" what?
>>
>>71877176
The guy in OP lost his virginity
>>
>>71877176
Death of the Manic Pixie Dreamgirl RIP

She was too quirky and free for this world
>>
>>71877176
The Night Of Anonymous

Can you not read?
>>
>>71877131
the camera focusing and zooming in on his face for 5+ seconds count as subtlety for you?
>>
>>71877344
You underestimate how retarded plebs are
>>
>>71877344
Not ordinarily no, but as I said in my comment, this isnt a very nuanced show so far. It's chock full of cliches, tropes, very obvious so far. In that context, that fleeting glimpse was likely meant to be "subtle," yeah.
>>
>>71877429
the hat on the deer's head was subtlety. the objects on the coffee table changing position between the time naz runs out, figures he forgot his keys and break back in was subtlety and possibly hinting the killer was still in the apartment.

what wasnt subtlety was the many possible suspects for the crime.

but again, I don't think that's what this series will focus on.
>>
File: 1462455350965.png (53 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1462455350965.png
53 KB, 645x773
>>71877657
>the hat on the deer's head was subtlety. the objects on the coffee table changing position between the time naz runs out, figures he forgot his keys and break back in was subtlety and possibly hinting the killer was still in the apartment.

>tfw you didn't notice any of this
>tfw your stupid
>>
File: 1424275357275[1].png (697 KB, 1135x835) Image search: [Google]
1424275357275[1].png
697 KB, 1135x835
>>71877720
it's okay, anon
>>
>>71876308
>>71876593
Pretty much this, it's well made and suspenseful, but nothing we haven't seen before. I will watch it because there's literally nothing else and I don't have social life and my life is boring and shit.

Also it's pretty much Serial S1.
>>
>>71876593
I'm with this guy, though I do appreciate the effort in trying to make it a mystery, like how she opened that door to let the cat out or the black staring silently at them.
>>
>>71877657
>many possible suspects for the crime.
>many

literally who
>>
>>71878099
>and my life is boring and shit

don't know why I kekked
>>
>>71878101
black guy
>>
>>71878132
bodie's friend
bike guy
>>
>>71878099
>Also it's pretty much Serial S1.

i thought the same.
>>
>>71878132
- black driver at the gas station
- bodie's friend
- the person on the motorcycle (andrea's drivers license showed she also could drive a motorcycle as well)

those stood out to me.
>>
>>71878310
I honestly don't care who killed her. Pretty fucking embarrassing for a show like this. I genuinely don't give a shit how she died and by whom.
>>
I really enjoyed it so far and it stayed with me. I keep thinking how it's going to play out, because it's not enough that he didn't do it, the problem is that all the evidence adds up against him, but he still needs to be proven guilty at the same time because something's don't add up for the police, or won't eventually.

There's just so many questions:

- why would the knife he took with him be the murder weapon if it's possible for them to determine when the blood on it got on it, which was very little at that? The knife would also have some organ/bone debris would is not?

Like others have said, what's the deal with the other black guy who stared at him but was left out of the witness's story? Could it hurt his testimony?

How did anyone else get in to murder her without breaking in? They would have already had access?

What the fuck was she even doing that night? She seemed mentally unstable and suicidal, but was she possibly just looking to hide or be safe from someone? Where was she coming from when he picked her up?

The fact that he had no blood on his clothes and nine, aside from a smear from her hand, on him seems unlikely compared to the murder scene.

Best of all though, since they never actually showed what happened after they had sex. What if he actually did murder her, in some sort of schizophrenic episode? And what if he still gets off for it due to the lack of evidence? It does seem like a bullshit way to play it off, but it'd be interesting if he actually was guilty in some way.
>>
episode 4 confirmed for worst one already?
>>
>>71878380
What
>>
File: thenightof.png (54 KB, 950x448) Image search: [Google]
thenightof.png
54 KB, 950x448
>>71878380
>>71878398

sorry, forgot pic
>>
The first time we see naz in the show, he's writing with his left hand. He's left handed and once we find out which hand the killer used to stab the grill, we'll have a big clue.
>>
This shit is a nightmare to look up. Still trying to find subtitles.
>>
>>71878367
>Best of all though, since they never actually showed what happened after they had sex. What if he actually did murder her, in some sort of schizophrenic episode? And what if he still gets off for it due to the lack of evidence? It does seem like a bullshit way to play it off, but it'd be interesting if he actually was guilty in some way.

Pretty cringe-tier twist. The guy had no reason whatsoever to kill her and the idea that he went into a state where he kills her and he doesn't remember or some shit is extremely unlikely medically and has no apparent psychological motive.
>>
>>71878310
>bodie's friend
Who was that again?
>>
>>71878417
Who's he?

Or is it the fact that it's a different dude? In that case not necessarily though possible. Though I didn't know the show had almost one director. The opposite would be a bad sign.
>>
>>71875961
Refugee propaganda but comfy

There's so much evidence against him what's the point
>>
>>71878424
lmao

add S01E01

also
>subtitles

At this point you need to kill yourself if you still need that shit.
>>
>>71878563
>There's so much evidence against him what's the point

The point is to show that its possible for someone to be innocent despite an overwhelming amount of evidence.
>>
I'm extremely jealous of Nazir, no matter what his outcome is.
>>
>Nah-seer/Nah-zeer
I'm genuinely curious why Americans have such a hard time pronouncing such a phonetically simple name.

And they oft try and read s as a z
>>
>>71878611
Should I avoid manic pixie dream girls?
>>
>>71878605
exactly.

circumstantial evidence, a detcetive that believes he has already found the right guy and a scared kid that can't afford anything other than a discount lawyer. I'm pretty sure this will be the focus, not who really killed her.
>>
>he didn't do it
that would be the obvious "twist" aimed to the reddit audience who's used to autistic shows.

the best twist would be if he actually did it.
>>
The focus is barely in the *who killed her* but it is more about the first hand judicial process when everything that could go wrong, goes wrong.

Plebs
>>
>>71878359
I guess that problem's more on you and less on the show itself. Regardless, we're one episode in, there's probably a lot to come.
>>
>>71878605
>>71878790

So this is like a remake of 12 angry men
>>
>>71878777
I know I wouldn't.

>nice trips,friend
>>
>James Gandolfini was initially cast as the defence attorney
>>
>>71878367
>How did anyone else get in to murder her without breaking in? They would have already had access?

I believe she left the gate open when she left the cat out
>>
>>71878417
Maybe there's a major tonal shift for one episode and they decided that it would be better to get outside help for that single episode.
>>
>>71878477
Random black dude that was eyeballing the shit out of Nas and the girl
>>
>pakistani
>left handed

He was doomed since he was born
>>
File: tfwyoumustbeloyletoyourcapo.jpg (24 KB, 356x200) Image search: [Google]
tfwyoumustbeloyletoyourcapo.jpg
24 KB, 356x200
>>71879206
I miss him
>>
>>71878417
Probably episode from a completely different point of view. Very little Naz if at all. Maybe the recollection of the evening from the point of view of other characters that were involved (the police officers, the hearse driver, the motorcyclist, Bodie and his friend, the weird neighbor) and we get to see how *time* changes *facts*

IDK lol just guessing xd
>>
solid opening episode with some interesting idiosyncrasies

8/10 will watch
>>
it's alright

i'm curious to see what kinds of tweeeeests we can expect
>>
>>71878880
Not really. The girl was pretty much asking for it and was suicidal. She took a stranger to her house and gave him drugs and she herself was on drugs. In modern city full of criminals the fact that she as killed is hardly a surprise. If it's not one who killed here it's the other.
>>
Pretty much loved it. Looking forward to next week.

Odds

1/2 Bodie's friend
3/1 Naz
7/1 the neighbor
10/1 the hearse driver
100/1 the cat
>>
>>71876308
>Not understanding the acclaim so far

It's controlled, deliberate, well-crafted and well-acted. If it keeps that up, which by all accounts it does, and is plotty enough for you - despite the slow burn - I'm sure it'll hit the spot. I'm liking it so far. Riz Ahmed is underrated too, hopefully this and Rogue One put him on the map. So good in Nightcrawler.
>>
>>71876684
>despite the fact that the episode was throwing clues at you everywhere ... timestamps, location, possible suspects etc, I don't think this is going to be a whodunit series

I'm waiting for an Adnan Syed didhedidnthedidhedidnthe tweest.
>>
File: 7p57egL2p1qbs8c4o1_500.jpg (42 KB, 350x400) Image search: [Google]
7p57egL2p1qbs8c4o1_500.jpg
42 KB, 350x400
>>71877176
>"The Night Of" what?
>Can you account for your whereabouts on THE NIGHT OF...?
>>
>>71877720

I didn't notice either, but I made the mistake of watching it on minimised floating VLC while I fucked around online. Never again.
>>
>>71878199

Who the fuck is "Bodie"?
>>
>>71882239
>not the biker that shows up right after the incident

cmon nigga, the hearse driver got nothing on him other than being black. red herring all along.
>>
>i don't remember not killing her but i promise i didnt kill her
great defence you got there bud
>>
>>71878421

Won't matter, he stabbed her hand and it's the oldest wound. Prosecution will just say he stabbed her impulsively and switched when he realised.
>>
File: Dog.jpg (4 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
Dog.jpg
4 KB, 225x225
>>71882605
>>Who the fuck is "Bodie"?
>>
>>71878477

I just looked it up, dude played a character named Bodie in The Wire... Nothing to do with The Night Of.
>>
>no blood on him when he wakes up
proof right there

he didnt do it. she was absolutely splattered
>>
>>71879206

Robert De Niro was also meant to play the guy at one point. Fuck, that would've been great. I miss top tier De Niro.
>>
>>71882788
He was good in SLP, Joy and Intern. He hasn't lost it.
>>
there's gonna be proof he didn't do it fairly early on but a corrupt cop will try to conceal it and that will what the show is mostly about

book it
>>
>>71882895
Don't be silly, you don't need corrupt cop to show how fucked the system can be in this case.
>>
>>71882855

Not at all, which is why it's a shame that he hasn't been centre stage in something truly great for a while. As irreplaceable as DDL is, I still wish he could have played Butcher Bill. Or maybe Martin Sheen's role in The Departed.
>>
>>71875961
The killer would of had to of been already waiting inside of the house. Notice how Naz had to break the glass to get back inside of the place, that means the killer would of either done the same thing or hid in the house waiting, and since the glass wasn't broken, he was hiding somewhere.

my guess is they find evidence that there was another person there and they begin looking for clues to back it up
>>
>>71882895

I think the show is already about the plight of all the evidence pointing towards you being guilty of something you're not, and the fact that only magical eczema-footed John Tortuga will try to prove the absurd truth if you;re lucky enough to call out to him through the Force.
>>
>>71883004
>would of

stop
>>
>>71883004
>would of had to of been
Kill yourself fucking idiot
>>
>>71883004
>implying the police would bother doing that when they have an easy nick
it's going to about be the solicitor v the cops and him trying to prove his innocence against all the odds, but the police arent going to bother doing that for him
>>
Suicide.
>>
>>71883004
>would of had to of been

what
>>
They had me at the intro.
>>
>>71883135
Wasn't it some generic shit like every intro in the last five years?
>>
>>71882728
He will always be Bodie to us nigga
>>
>>71883304
>not Kenny
*shanks*
>>
File: The.Night.Of.S01E01.00.22.35.jpg (270 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
The.Night.Of.S01E01.00.22.35.jpg
270 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>71883371
Wire > OZ and it's not even a competition. Such a horrible show, OZ that was
>>
>>71883304

I only watched the first season of The Wire, and that was... 2008, maybe? I don't remember characters other than Avon, Stringer, Bunk, Omar, McNulty, Lance Fucking Reddick and Bubbles. It was a long time ago. I should really watch the rest.
>>
>>71876308

First episodes sets up the rest of the mini series. I liked how it was pretty realistic and most of it was set in the police station as the Paki is basically going alone despite the evidence is against him.
>>
>>71883392
Wire is better than Oz I'll gi-
>Such a horrible show, OZ that was
I'll fucking kill you
>>
>>71883414
You fucked up bro, shoulda kept watching to remember Bodie
>>
>>71883454
Go ahead, defend the ageing pills.
>>
bum
>>
It has already surpassed True Detective season 1.

Not yet season 2.
>>
>>71885939
>It has already surpassed True Detective season 1.

You have memed too hard my friend, flown too close to the proverbial sun.
>>
>>71878716

>why aren't Americans able to perfectly pronounce words from a language 2 oceans away on the first try?

Do you think Pakis can pronounce American names perfectly just after reading them? you fucking monkey
>>
>>71878716
I'm curious as to what you're curious about. Are you implying the characters on the show had a hard time? Not really. They repeat it, as police are wont to do, and clarify its pronunciation and ask if he'd prefer a nickname. Standard practice for just about any name, let alone one that's not overwhelmingly common.
>>
>>71883392
HUH
>>
Absolutely killer fucking pilot. I need the new episode right NOW
>>
It's quite good.
Nice to see Bodie.
>>
LeBron or Kobe?
>>
>idiots will completely miss the point of the show and constantly argue/speculate about who the killer is

this is true detective season 1 all over again with the constant threads about supernatural boogeymen, one of the cops being the killer, or a grand far-reaching conspiracy that involved Marty's kids
>>
>>71888110

What is the point of the show then? The show's obviously shoving a bunch of evidence, leads, suspects, and possible red herrings in our faces.
>>
File: shoulder_shrug.jpg (77 KB, 1279x850) Image search: [Google]
shoulder_shrug.jpg
77 KB, 1279x850
>>71875961
First episode so far, quite good. I enjoy this kind of story in which there is less dialogue and more doing instead of talking.
Without more than one episode I don't know how good of a series it is, but if it is consistent with the first, it could be amazing.
>>
File: Errol.jpg (116 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
Errol.jpg
116 KB, 500x750
>>71888150
To fucking show the judicial system and police work go haywire when everything that could go wrong for the suspect, goes wrong.

There are probably thousands of people that have been judged guilty innocent, no doubt this show will too end up on Naz being *guilty*.
>>
>>71888268
this anon gets it

>>71888150
this anon's a dummy looking for yet another "whodunit" cop procedural
maybe "The Killing" is more your speed
>>
>>71888319
I'm >>71888268

The original danish killing, Forbrydelsen was based as fuck.

<dat season 3 end
>>
It's a remake of a brit series, Criminal Justice, who've seen it?
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.