[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /tv/ think of Richard Linklater? Personally, I think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1
File: rick-linklater.jpg (129 KB, 1200x688) Image search: [Google]
rick-linklater.jpg
129 KB, 1200x688
What does /tv/ think of Richard Linklater?
Personally, I think he's brilliant and Everybody Wants Some is among my favorite films of the year, if not, the last five years.

I've more or less appreciated his entire filmography but I'd understand if people found his films boring and/or pretentious
>>
>>71872841
He definitely has his outspoken detractors on this board (DUDE RLM 12 YEARS LOL) but I've seen a lot of good decent people that understand what he's going for. Slacker is definitely one of my favorite movies of all time and Everybody Wants Some!! is a top 5 movie of the year for sure.
>>
Literally the George Lucas of our time if George just made American Graffiti over and over again
>>
>>71872841
Dazed and Confused is fucking great
Bernie is underratted
>>
>>71872841
Fantastic director that always gets these great natural slice of life performances from his cast.

Also kudos for the most literal PKD adaptation ever.
>>
>>71873093
But American Graffiti is entertaining. Most of Richard's films are like watching paint dry.
>>
I actually liked Boyhood. And the 12-year filming method was actually impressive.
>>
Dazed and Confused is the best coming of age film ever.

I like Linklater but he doesn't really ever come to mind of "great directors". He's relatively safe, but I guess that's what makes him so consistent.
>>
>>71873093
>if George just made American Graffiti over and over again
Yes pls. The worst thing that ever happened to george was star wars being saved in editing. I want to see 30 years of his output as a working director.
>>
>>71873176
What about the before trilogy, or waking life, or the newton boys, or a scanner darkly.

He's got a pretty good directorial range.
>>
>>71873247
Agreed. The Before trilogy are god-tier romance movies and Waking Life is my favorite movie. Granted, that's because the first time I took mushrooms I watched it and from that point on whenever I watch it I remember the tripped out thoughts about the movie I was having
>>
>>71873093
Nah, Linklater's range is one of his strong suits.

He's got stuff like the Before Sunrise trilogy and Boyhood, sort of nostalgia pieces.

Then there's his heady aimless stream of consciousness stuff like Slacker and Waking Life.

He's got period pieces like Dazed and Confused and Everybody Wants Some!!

He's done lighthearted comedies like School of Rock.

And then he did Bernie, which I'm not really sure where I would place it. Good movie though.

>>71872841
I think he's great. I never saw a bad word about him until Boyhood, which I attribute to backlash. The movie was a bit over hyped due to its, for lack of a better term, gimmick, and it wasn't really one of his better movies imo. Too much of it was like a pop culture highlights reel. It was still interesting though, and had some decent emotional payoff, and made a pretty powerful statement on the fleeting nature of time. Gimmick or no, it was an interesting and ambitious project, despite its flaws.

Waking Life is my favorite probably. Yea, some people might think it's pseudo-intellectual bullshit stoner thoughts, but that's really all the better I've seen anybody articulate a critique of it, which I feel mostly indicates that it's just over some peoples' heads.
>>
>>71873688
You don't think Waking Life is good either way? I watched it during a time when I was really struggling and it really opened me up. It's one of my top ten even still.
>>
Before Sunset is the best movie ever made.
>>
Linklater is actually based but /tv/ will never admit it. His stupid studio ran the whole 12 years thing, if you watch the interviews he clearly doesn't give a shit it was shot over 12 years.

Some of his movies are garbage, but at least he tries new shit. and school of rock is kino
>>
He's great.
>>
I cried at the end of the recent Before movie because it was sad and I have to wait 10 years for another.
>>
>>71874629
follow me on Letterboxd already faggot
>>
scanner darkly is incredible and is always overlooked. linklater has a mastery of dialogue
>>
>>71872841
I don't like his movies.
His movies are all sentimental nostalgia or pseudphilosophy. Even his nostalgia pieces never reach the heart that something like Stand By Me and they are definitely not experimental enough to make up for it in their style.

I put his work in the same category as American Beauty or Y Tu Mama Tambien... wanna-be groundbreaking or deep artiistc achievements.
>>
>>71873973
Oh of course I do man, I'm just saying that it's my FAVORITE because of that. It gets the top spot because it was paradigm shifting AND I was tripping balls, making it all the more special
>>
>>71874859
What do you mean by psuedo-philosophy? Questions with no depth?
And I don't think he wants to break new ground or reach new artistic heights, I just think he's being honest. If that's how you view his stuff, that's cool man, but it sounds like you're projecting a little bit
>>
>>71875207
What do you mean by projecting in this case?

Bascially by the pseudphilo bit: in something like waking life or slacker he's not embedding it into the narrative, he's just outright discussing philo questions and problems. That's not such a problem in and of itself but the thing is they are the kind of questions you'd have heard from your college roommates freshman year or in that introduction to philo class you took. Which just lends to meme conversations about 'transcending time and space' or 'dreams', 'consciousness'. You can pick up vague references to certain books, thinkers, and questions. For me it reminds me of when people talk about a philosopher based on a lecture or summary rather than having read essential texts by him.
>>
I'm really happy Slacker inspired Kevin Smith to make Clerks because Clerks is one of my favorite movies.

Boyhood was really great as well.
>>
>>71874859
Waking life is not pseudophilosophy. It is philoaophy, openly discussing themes of subjectivity, determinism and economics. I guess you prefer marvel.

>>71875579
Now you're just missing the point of the movie. There is a plot. I enjoy this movie because actual intelligent peoplw are giving their opinions on some matters. It makes you think. Entry-level philosophy? Maybe. But it is philosophy. I go back to this movie from time to time to actually pay attention to details that might have slipped my mind.
Fun Fact: Ethan hawke and July Delpy appear in waking life portraying the Before Midnight characters.

>Yfw you will never wake up with a cutie and discuss philosophy
>>
>>71875579
In principal, I think you're probably right but for me that's likely a case of being able to suspend disbelief.
Which sort of ties in with my point about the projecting. If you're anything like me, I really cringe or just generally get uncomfortable when encountered with cliches because it's so damn unoriginal. I'm not exactly sure why that bothers me, but it does and I've struggled with the fact that none of my thoughts or emotions are original (upshot being no one gives a shit, you're just like everyone else shut up blahblah) for as long as I can remember. And if I was well read and practiced on philosophy or script-writing, which I'm not, I can see how I might think it's a little pseudo-philosophy-y. So basically I'm projecting with my accusation of projecting. I tend to talk myself in circles.
>>
>>71875869
I never said there wasn't a plot. I said these questions were not embedded into the narrative. Philosophical ideas or questions in the movie are openly ackowledged in conversation between characters.

I don't know what you mean by 'actual intelligent people'. I thought the charm of the movie was that it wasn't so high-falutin. Like I said, for better or worse the conversations are a lot of 'dude weed' or 'ayyyy' type things. The type of thing you talked about till 3-4 am in the morning as a college freshman. I feel that Linklater might be a little stuck in that mindset.
>>
>>71876103
I think that when Linklater makes movies, he draws on what he knows and has experienced which is why a high percentage of his movies seem anecdotal relative to his particular voice in the cinema universe. That says to me that he is a very earthy and honest guy as opposed to, say Kubrik who I wouldn't say isn't honest but he's a vastly different kind of storyteller as is obvious when you compare their filmographies. If you trust that Linklater's work is an honest reflection of his personality and mind, I wouldn't think he's stuck at all. It's just who he is
>>
He's the actual definition of pretentious
>>
Funny to see this thread here, I just watched Everyboy Wants Some!! and thought it was pretty good.

As usual, the acting was top-notch. I think I prefer Dazed and Confused thou, this one just left me wanting for more. Granted, D&C did too, but not nearly as much. I fucking love baseball.

Linklater is really just cemented as my favorite director. The only film of his that I dislike is Boyhood, simply because I think while you can summarize it like most of his others works (as in, a "story about nothing"), it's just not nearly as well executed, at least from a story-telling perspective.
>>
>>71876363
Explain yourself cretin
>>
>>71876480
He places too much importance on the artistic merit of his work while providing almost none of it

His interviews for 12 Years are horrible
>>
>>71876389
Fine taste, anon. I prefer EWS only because it chimes with me more but hey art is subjective
>>
>>71876599
The artistic merit of his work is relative to the viewer, breh. Pretentiousness is using intelligence to make a point that you're better than somebody else. My view is that if you present ideas with openness, honesty and vulnerability you can't be pretentious because you're treating the audience as an intellectual equal which it seems like he does. You on the other hand are using your intelligence to say you're better above something and that someone's work is bad.
>>
>>71876103
Those questions are embedded into the narrative. Little narratives for the characters, pieces of a puzzle. For example, when Speed Levitch is talking about poetry and self-awareness he himself becomes aware that tgis is a dream, just not his. We are stuck with the protagonist.
I'm sure you loved Enemy, though.
>>
>>71876821
Ethan Hawk and Linclater literally advise people who didn't like Boyhood to "Fucking kill themselves"
>>
>>71877298
Proof?
>>
>>71872841
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo3xKeM4uN8
>>
>>71877364
It was in an interview clip
>>
hit or miss

don't really like any of the "before" movies or everybody wants some. But I love dazed and waking life, etc
>>
>>71877420
I see. Well at any rate, even if they did, I'm almost 100% positive they wouldn't have truly meant it. That's something that only a sociopath would say and mean. And you're completely stripping the statement of context so either provide reasonable and logical facts or admit to yourself that you're looking for bad things
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.