[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got back from a critics' screening of this one in Australia.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 15
File: Ghostbusters 2016.jpg (152 KB, 1024x1517) Image search: [Google]
Ghostbusters 2016.jpg
152 KB, 1024x1517
Just got back from a critics' screening of this one in Australia.

>Pros
McCarthy and McKinnon were both fun, had great delivery, and McKinnon in particular was quirky in a great way. Very obviously taking cues from the original's Ray. Some of the action setpieces were cool, some good fight choreography. CGI was perfectly fine though obviously they're not going for the most "real" look with their ghosts. I was dreading the cover version of the theme song but it worked for what it was.

>Cons
Humor felt like a sitcom. Very obvious, bland jokes. Movie literally felt like it could have benefited from canned laughter. Wiig and Jones were awful. Not sure if Hemsworth's cringey dialogue was scripted or improv but it was shit either way. Also he gets possessed by an American guy and continues to speak in an Australian accent. Shitty writing, poor visual gags. Amateur slapstick and nonsense, tantrumatic scenes that drag on forever. That scene in the trailer where Wiig yells that everyone needs to evacuate and she gets dragged away while holding onto a dining table in a restaurant? That scene was at least three minutes long, and she was being dragged away for the last half of it.

Probably go a 4/10.

What did you guys think? Also happy to answer any questions.
>>
>>71869640
Any plot twists?
>>
Wiig was awful because Wiig isn't funny.

Also were there any sexy panty shots of cleavage shots? mmmmm
>>
>>71869689
A very minor, predictable one.
Bad guy electrocutes himself, good guys think it's over, bad guy comes back as a ghost. It was all part of his plan.

>>71869706
>were there any sexy panty shots of cleavage shots?
No, I don't believe so. At one point McKinnon is wearing overalls over a tummy-revealing top so you can see her lower-back and sides but that's all.
>>
>>71869640
Lot of reviews focus on Wiig and McCarthy's relationship, with some saying it was on point, and others saying there was absolutely zero chemistry. Your take on this?

Also lots of people, both positive and negative reviews, said they loved Hemsworth in this, and he's one of the redeeming factors. Anything specific you didn't like about his performance?
>>
>>71869743
not her belly button?
>>
>>71869743
>It was all part of his plan

TWAS SMEE JAMES!
>>
>>71869743
Who's the bad guy?
>>
>>71869752
>Lot of reviews focus on Wiig and McCarthy's relationship, with some saying it was on point, and others saying there was absolutely zero chemistry. Your take on this?
So at the beginning of the film, Wiig has moved on into "real science" and the catalyst for the film is her going to McCarthy and demanding that she take her name of their work. She's moving on, wants tenure, etc. McCarthy has a bitch about Wiig abandoning them. Then for basically the whole film they're a bit of a foursome, there was no huge chemistry between Wiig and McCarthy in particular but there didn't really need to be.
The problem is at the very end, where McCarthy is nearly taken into the ghost-dimension and Wiig saves her. After this, Wiig says "I'll never abandon you again!" and it's the most forced, shitty nonsense in the entire movie. For THAT to work, there had to be more going on chemistry-wise than there was, for sure.

>lots of people, both positive and negative reviews, said they loved Hemsworth in this, and he's one of the redeeming factors. Anything specific you didn't like about his performance?
His performance was fine. His dialogue was terrible - and some of it felt like improv. Not sure if it was him or the script, but it was cringe-tier, Big Bang Theory-esque one-liners, and the punchline was always "look how much of an idiot he is". Also, as I mentioned in the OP, he's possessed by an American ghost and the ghost speaks through him for a very large portion of the film, but retains the Australian accent, which was distracting. Probably a director's choice, though, not the actor's.
>>
>>71869803
No, I don't think so.

>>71869852
It's a nerdy white boy who is frequently mocked by the four heroines for being a virgin and is defeated by being shot in the dick by all four at the same time. I am not kidding.
>>
>>71869920
Do they even cross the streams?
>>
>>71869640
Please tell me what song plays during the rock concert?
>>
>>71869920
Jesus Christ,that ending sounds like something 4chan would make up to strawman the film. The black girl raping him to death with a huge strapon would be equally subtle.
>>
>>71869920
So... the whole hating on GB because of female leads was just Sony making publicity for the plot of their movies?

Bravo Sony. I'm not kidding. Bravo.
>>
File: dave-hester-1.jpg (43 KB, 580x314) Image search: [Google]
dave-hester-1.jpg
43 KB, 580x314
>>71869893
Thanks for some in depth responses.
>>
>>71869959
No, that's never mentioned in this film and doesn't seem to be an issue at all.

>>71869970
I forget. Sorry.

>>71869971
>>71869973
Yeah. All this after he tells them that they "shoot like girls" and they say "it's always the pale ones".
>>
>>71870003
So the publicity and interviews and reactions were staged to mirror the script? Sony used the SJW in an elaborate publicity campaign?

wtf, I love SONY now!
>>
>>71870003
>No, that's never mentioned in this film and doesn't seem to be an issue at all.
Genuinely surprises me. After all the callbacks and cameos I'd expect one of the biggest to be referenced somehow.
>>
>>71870051
The closest thing would be that the equipment on top of the car is mentioned to be nuclear and she says not to shoot at the car, then later they shoot at it on purpose to close a breach between dimensions.
>>
>>71869920
>defeated by being shot in the dick by all four at the same time

Except he gets trapped in the dimension, so you're wrong.
>>
>>71870047
wait huh? please explain what u mean
>>
What's the relation between the logo and the bad guys ghost?
>>
>>71870105
thank you! I was so hoping that he literally didnt die by getting shot in the dick.. that would be so stupid
>>
Now all this talk makes me wanna go see it
>>
>>71870108
>Film plot revolves around people butthurt about 4 women fighting ghosts.
>Film plot/trailer released, disliked and talked about somewhat.
>Media blows about of proportion how much it is hated and blames this on people being butthurt about 4 women starring in a film about fighting ghosts
>>
>>71870108
>McCarty calls people hating on new GB because it stars females as basement dwelling virgins
>movie scipt is about a basement dwelling virgin hating on the GB because they are female and they mock him for being a virgin loser
>>
File: ghostbustersteam.jpg (98 KB, 1024x743) Image search: [Google]
ghostbustersteam.jpg
98 KB, 1024x743
>>71869640
some YouTubers say it was basically "men are dumb and women are smart" the movie. How true is that?
>>
>>71870146
Yeah he doesn't actually die, they just put him on the other side of the portal with Slimer, his girlfriend and a truck full of ghosts.

Question for OP, does the big guy turn into a godzilla monster too?
>>
>>71870182
ah I see so McCarthy's response all makes sense now.
>>
>>71870105
I don't understand how what I said is wrong.
I didn't say they killed him, I said they defeated him.
Or are you saying that he was totally fine to have his plan thwarted and be trapped in another dimension?

For clarification for those who haven't seen it, He becomes an enormous version of the Ghostbusters logo, and they detonate the nuclear equipment on their car to close a breach between our dimension and the ghosts', and he manages to withstand the vacuum. The four of them shoot him in the dick at the same time, which causes him to release his grip and be sucked away with the rest of the ghosts.

I don't know how you can possibly see that as a victory for him.

>>71870126
see above. They ask him to come out where they can see him, he asks what form he should take, Jones says "something small and friendly!" and he turns into their ghostbusters logo. Then turns mean and big.
>>
Do you think the score will drop?
>>
>>71870182
The point is that people bully the main villain and the Busters, but the Busters don't care while the villain lets it drive him to villainy. I believe they have a conversation about this in the movie.
>>
what a comfy thread
>>
File: 1402272238431.gif (325 KB, 196x200) Image search: [Google]
1402272238431.gif
325 KB, 196x200
>>71869920
>>71870003
>It's a nerdy white boy who is frequently mocked by the four heroines for being a virgin and is defeated by being shot in the dick by all four at the same time
>All this after he tells them that they "shoot like girls" and they say "it's always the pale ones".
>>
>>71870187
Hemsworth's character is a complete idiot, and the four main women are intelligent. That's about as far as it goes.
The bad guy is an intelligent man.

>>71870190
You sound like you've seen it yourself.

>>71870206
Yes, but I think it'll hold onto its fresh rating.
>>
>>71869973
>So... the whole hating on GB because of female leads was just Sony making publicity for the plot of their movies?
wait, you're just figuring this out now?
>>
File: ChrisHemsworthGhostbusters.webm (1021 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ChrisHemsworthGhostbusters.webm
1021 KB, 1280x720
Did Hemsworth have some badass scenes when he got possessed? I saw some images of him standing up high facing the military but I guess the whole dance thing was cut or as I hear it was saved for the end credits which also I heard the entire end credits has footage of the cast doing stuff which sounds intriguing
>>
>>71870204
That's just a dickpunch joke, not an "lolmen" joke.

Also I'm glad that it wasn't Jones thinking about the logo like the leak said, that would be retarded.
>>
>>71870187
Not very true. You can look at it that way, but it's not really what's going on. It's mostly about these women being kept down by The Man (and women). They're good, but they get a bad rep. Then they show the world their true colrs/how good they are. But in the end it doesn't matter because The Man (The Woman, in this case since Murray's character is die) spin the story to make them look bad.
>>
>All this after he tells them that they "shoot like girls" and they say "it's always the pale ones".
I don't get it, please, explain.
>>
>>71870219

See >>71870187
>>
>>71870256
I haven't seen it yet but I found this scene funny with Hemsworth. I guess there is a lot of stuff like this in the movie with him giving them dumb comedic ideas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxVIvdbA78k
>>
>>71870289
YOU'RE A FUCKING WHITE MALE
>>
>>71870289
always the pale ones implies it is always the white ones?
idk that's what i gathered by this
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 383x472) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 383x472
I have to see this film to see how shit it is

Any rips?
>>
>>71870263
No, not really. He possesses about 300 men at once and then makes them stand still. And then for some reason doesn't even attempt to possess the Ghostbusters.
As you said, the credits feature him making all the men dance.

>>71870266
I don't really understand the difference. How is four women simultaneously punching the bad man in the dick not a "lolmen" joke?

>>71870289
So basically the women are made fun of for "shooting like girls", but those same women also say that it's always the white men who are bad, mock the bad guy for being a virgin (he's never even stated to be a virgin, they just assume he is because he's a bad white man) and then gather to shoot him in the dick for the victory.
>>
>>71870307
Are you a wizard? Please, explain the joke. What's wrong about pale and shooting?
>>
So it turns out all the hate comments that they said to original fans was aimed at the main villain of the movie as they were remaining in character?
very mind blown
>>
>>71870256
I figured it would be in the 60 range
>>
File: 3AsV21N.png (104 KB, 252x337) Image search: [Google]
3AsV21N.png
104 KB, 252x337
>>71870306
I admit, the second logo gave me a chuckle.
>>
>>71870348
not yet
>>
File: 67976.png (524 KB, 583x987) Image search: [Google]
67976.png
524 KB, 583x987
>>71870368
they sure have gone up today
>>
>>71870351
>always the pale ones = always the white ones

kek, basement dweller who didn't get the joke aimed at him detected
>>
>>71870351
>women also say that it's always the white men who are bad, mock the bad guy for being a virgin
Fucking feminists have crossed the line.
>>
>>71870356
>>71869973
>>71870047
I got the distinct impression from the film that a lot of that stuff was added after the public reactions to the trailer and stuff.
There's even a point where Wiig and McCarthy read a comment or two about how women can't beat ghosts and stuff and the whole audience cracked up so I assumed it was a real comment someone posted on a forum somewhere.
>>
File: 1466538073686.png (429 KB, 799x678) Image search: [Google]
1466538073686.png
429 KB, 799x678
>comfy fembusters thread

How are the new gadgets?

Do they actually use the bear trap?
>>
>>71870289
I'll translate for you
>go home, gaymer gurl
>YOU'RE A FUCKING WHITE MALE
>>
>>71870401
Woah this is strange you say this because I swear I was reading an article the other night where McCarthy said that due to feedback, something was added into the movie.

I don't remember the article but it said exactly this!
>>
>>71870387
They can't get away with this
>>
>>71870401
Yeah, it was. They cut the army dance scene and threw it in the credits, and they added sexist youtube comments of their choosing to the scene where they're looking at Youtube. Really makes Sony look kind of butthurt, but that's just me.

I'm curious what you thought the worst joke was? Most memorably bad?
>>
File: GhostbustersFilming2.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
GhostbustersFilming2.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>71870428
The movie has some great practicals judging by the behind the scenes
>>
>>71870392
>basement dweller who didn't get the joke
>didn't get the joke
>joke
Well, I don't mind jokes, but aren't they supposed to have somthing common with humor? That's just some middle school level of offending, seriously.
>>
>>71870401
I doubt that. The principal photography for the movie was done months before the controversy started. When that shit hit the mainstream media, the movie was in post and the actors weren't asked to come back and film new scenes.

It was all planned. It's like a modern day Blair Witch publicity stunt.
>>
>>71870452
the main human ghosts were apparently practical
>>
File: GhostbustersFilming3.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
GhostbustersFilming3.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>71870428
>>
>>71870392
I'm a wog. You're right, they might've meant particularly pale men, but it seemed more like their PC way of saying white guys.

>>71870428
The bear trap is only shown in the very last scene of the movie in an admittedly quite amusing gag. It's not used on a ghost, though. The gadgets are fine. Nothing mind-blowing but nothing particularly stupid, either.

>>71870438
Well, the "power of pain compels you" was pretty fucking cringey but that was also in the trailer. I thought a lot of Hemsworth being an idiot at the office was just plain stupid, like when he didn't know how to answer a phone or how he didn't use glass in his spectacles because he couldn't reach his eyes, or how he covered his eyes instead of his ears when there were loud noises. Nobody in my audience really laughed at any of that, actually.
>>
>>71870348
Watch out, considering how fucking crazy the SJWs are, the Jewish producer in charge might think it's a good idea to start suing everyone who pirates the films.
>>
>>71870387
the average rating hasnt, 6.6 is a piece of shit
>>
File: Practicals_1.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Practicals_1.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>71870478
Yes they were but the visual effects department CGI'd them sadly.
>>
>>71870387
Paid reviews. At least this is a perfect list to see she which critics are complete hacks with no integrity and taste.
>>
>>71870438
>and they added sexist youtube comments of their choosing to the scene

No, that was in the leaked script. I read that shit months ago. Even if the SAY they added it in, they didn't. It was always part of the story.
>>
File: Practicals_2.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Practicals_2.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>>71870478
>>
>>71870289
>>71870307
>>71870392

Idiots. She means its always those basement dwellers who never leave their house. Basically your cheeto eating WoW nerds as pale and pasty as ever for never leaving the house. Of course, you can only be white to be that pale though but seeing as this is a mostly white film, I don't think they were making any distinctions really.
>>
>>71870476
Yeah, I'm sure they fully anticipated the reactions they would get.

Why else would they try so hard to be inflammatory about the political agenda of the film?

The big studio execs don't give a shit about feminism, but they know free advertising potential when they see it.
>>
>>71869640
Hey OP, was there any jokes about kangaroos, vegemite, shrimp or beer aimed at Australians?

Because if there isn't, that film can go die in a hole.
>>
>>71870513
It's a shame the marketing was so abysmal for this movie because it looks like there was a surprising amount of love put into it

I'll probably go see it for the ghosts
>>
>>71870527
Well yeah. They said they always had comments there, but they decided to edit them a little based on response to the trailer. It's probably a very simple edit, considering.
>>
>>71870545
Nope, none of that at all.
Hemsworth's name was Kevin. That's about as far as they went.
>>
>>71870348
Just go and see it on the big screen. It doesn't sound that bad idk I still am thinking of going to see it.

Watch this review. This guy sounds like he does a decent job of what the movie is like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5qyoxdu694

Obvious is obvious this movie isn't horror toned like this first but what can you do
>>
>>71870497
>i-i'm so sc-sc-scared!
>>
>>71870565
The first scene in this new one is scarier than anything in the first.
I mean, it wasn't scary. But it was scariER, if that makes sense.
>>
>>71870541
Plus the fact that he's a fucking pale ghost.
>>
Wow what's this, a ghostbusters thread that isn't pure shitposting in the OP? wooauw
>>
>>71870583
Are there any new ghosts that we did not see in any trailers that show up in the movie?
>>
>>71870570
>Not 'I'm 'fraid of no litigation!'
>>
>>71870562
That's not an Aussie joke.

http://thecabininthewoods.wikia.com/wiki/Kevin
>>
>>71870603
In the backround, yes.
>>
>>71870603
You seen the 40 TV Spots? Those reveal a shit-ton that you might not have seen yet, including female Slimer
>>
>>71870584
He's not a ghost. At least, not for the vast majority of the film.

>>71870603
I don't quite remember the trailers. There's the one that vomits on her in the beginning, an electrical one in a subway, the dragon one, Slimer, the logo come to life, some parade balloons that are sentient for some reason, the big stilt-guy, and then a shitload of background ones.

>>71870616
I don't really know what I'm supposed to be getting from that wiki page. Kevin is a popular name here in Australia and generally considered a very redneck, bogan, true blue aussie kinda name. Like how the great white shark in Finding Nemo was named Bruce.
>>
>>71870644
yeah I saw the tv spots. one tv spot actually spooked me a bit as it had a female ghost screaming while floating right into the camera.

The way they edited the scream of the ghost sounded surprisingly good. I guess that is the beginning scene?
>>
>>71870690
Sounds like it. Not the beginning scene, but the first ghost you see.
>>
>>71870688
Does the dragon one ever turn red? All his toys are red for some reason.
>>
>>71870688
http://thecabininthewoods.wikia.com/wiki/Curt_Vaughan
>>
>>71870719
Uh, I don't think so, no.
It's a haunted mannequin to begin with, then when they shatter it the green dragon thing breaks out and flies around, they catch it, they release it, they fight it again... nah, pretty sure it's green the whole way through.
>>
>>71870739
Yes, I know Hemsworth was in that film. What's your point?
>>
>>71870742
> inaccurate toys

No surprise there. Do they actually get to battle the stilt guy? He's my favorite design.
>>
>>71870812
They don't battle him directly I don't think, he seems to be kind of like a puppet master and sort of sends in waves for them to fight.
They might hit him like once at the end to finish the scene, I don't remember.
>>
File: Hemsworth2.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Hemsworth2.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>"WE GOT ONE! Only kidding"
>>
>>71870842
So he's like a parade wizard? In assuming he sends out the balloons.
>>
>>71870874
Nope, he has nothing to do with the balloons.

So they rock up to the final showdown, and before they can enter the building Stilt-Guy appears and a big ring of ghosty mist surrounds them. He waves his arms and ghosts manifest out of the cloudring and charge them. They defeat them in waves. I think maybe he comes in personally at the end and they knock him out but I don't remember.

The balloons are earlier and unrelated, and also where StayPuft makes his appearance.
>>
>>71869640
is there a torrent yet?
>>
>>71870919
sounds kind of cool desu
>>
>>71870977
Yeah, it's what I was referring to in my OP where I said there was some cool fight choreography and action setpieces.
Definitely a highlight.
>>
File: Hemsworth3.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Hemsworth3.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>
So if you cut out some jokes but kept in all the ghost shit would the movie have been better?
>>
>>71871181
Well, it wouldn't really be a comedy anymore but yeah, it'd be better.
Really, they should've just had someone funnier write the script and cut out all the improv.
>>
>>71871211
Does Leslie still say "I don't know if it was a women thing or a black thing" because one tv spot cut it down
>>
>>71871355
Yeah, she does.

They did get rid of the "that's literally what we already do here" bit, though, which I actually found amusing in the trailers.
>>
Is the dance number still in it?
>>
>>71872206
It's in the credits

He just freezes them in movie
>>
>>71872315

So as someone who enjoyed Feig's other movies and never really was super obsessed with the original Ghostbusters, im going in expecting a 5/10 or 6/10

Should i taper those expectations or is that decent?
>>
>>71871373
Ah dam so did i
>>
>>71872353
Haven't seen it but 5 or 6 seems to be a good guess

average to lame comedy, good effects
>>
>>71870187
>"men are dumb and women are smart"
That is every Paul Feig movie ever.
>>
>>71873988
I've watched a few of his movies on cable and they really do boil down to the most bullshit anti-male rhetoric.
>>
>>71870355
>shoot like girls
This one should be obvious
>It's always the pale ones
Is what THEY say, not he. THEY say BEWARE OF THE WHITE GUY
>>
I doubt I'll see the movie, but Kate McKinnon is great and is on her way to becoming a big star, so I'm glad to hear she's good in this.
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.