[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Paul Thomas Anderson Ranking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: PT Anderson.jpg (32 KB, 330x220) Image search: [Google]
PT Anderson.jpg
32 KB, 330x220
The Master > Inherent Vice > Boogie Nights > There Will Be Blood > Punch Drunk Love > Magnolia > Sydney
>>
>>71851510
good taste OP
>>
>>71851510
nice
>>
>>71851510
Shit > the rest
>>
I really only like there will be blood and punch drunk love (mostly because adam sandler was so surprisingly good).
>>
TWBB
Punch Drunk Love
The Master
Magnolia other than the singing part
Boogie Nights
Inherent Vice is so incredibly bad it doesn't belong on the list
>>
>>71852058
If you think Inherent Vice is bad you honestly have bad taste.
Read the book u pleb
>>
TWBB
Magnolia
The Master
Punch Drunk Love
Boogie Nights
Inherent Vice
Hard 8
>>
>>71852102
>you have to read the book to enjoy the movie
That's the epitome of a failed movie. I consider PTA one of the best directors of all time but it's a shit movie and the main actor is basically just a bad Jeff Lebowksi. I never thought I'd turn off a PTA movie but it was pure torture
>>
>>71852102
I've read the book several times. It does not translate well to film. Especially by a glorified popcorn flick director like PTA.
>>
>>71851510
ITT: BAIT: REDDIT: THE THREAD
>>
>>71852242
>>71852058
Holy shit I can't believe I forgot hard 8. That definitely is 2nd behind TWBB
>>
If there is ever an oscar for most pretentious filmmaker, PTA would win it every time.

His films don't look bad, but that's because he's always had Robert Elswit with him, one of the greatest directors of photography hands down. It's just that his films don't really have a whole lot to say. For the most part, it's a whole lot of nothing that looks good on screen.

>>71852102
The book is pretty good, the film is a sad excuse for an adaptation. You should get better taste.
>>
>>71852345

Elswit didn't work on The Master, which might be his best looking movie.
>>
>>71852345
>It's just that his films don't really have a whole lot to say

does a film need to have something to say to be good? you can not like him, hes not exactly a revolutionary filmmaker by any means but that's such a nothing of a criticism
>>
>>71851510
1.TWBB
2.Punch-Drunk Love
3.The Master
4.Magnolia
5.Inherent Vice
6.Booogie Nights
7.Junun
8.Hard Eight
>>
The Master
Punch-Drunk Love
Magnolia
There Will Be Blood
Inherent Vice
Boogie Nights

They're all at least good though. Haven't seen Hard Eight so I can't comment on that.
>>
Altman Tier
>Magnolia

Kubrick Tier
>There Will Be Blood

Coen Brother Tier
>Inherent Vice, The Master

Tarantino Tier
>Hard Eight

Scorsese Tier
>Boogie Nights
>>
OBJECTIVELY CORRECT LIST

1. The Master
2. There Will Be Blood
3. Inherent Vice
4. Punch Drunk Love
5. Boogie Nights
6. Magnolia
7. Sydney
>>
>>71852345
>don't really have a whole lot to say
Don't understand how you could say this about The Master. Same with TWBB
>>
>>71852264
>>71852300
How did you guys not love the entire paranoid feel and sense of not knowing what was really going on
>>
File: 1367500895627.jpg (32 KB, 331x344) Image search: [Google]
1367500895627.jpg
32 KB, 331x344
>>71852653
This. Rest of you are incorrect.
>>
I like Inherent Vice the more I watch it. I don't know why. Very relaxing film.
>>
>>71851510
TWBB > Punch Drunk Love > Boogie Nights > The Master > Magnolia > Inherent Vice > Sydney

To put this into perspective, Sydney is like a 7.5/10
>>
>>71852617
I'd move The Master to Altman tier
>>
>>71851510
punch drunk love > boogie nights = blood > magnolia > inherent vice >>>>> the master
haven't seen Sydney yet but I should
the top 3 are
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.