[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the biggest flop of all time? Or what went worse? And
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: The_BFG_poster.jpg (54 KB, 259x384) Image search: [Google]
The_BFG_poster.jpg
54 KB, 259x384
Is this the biggest flop of all time? Or what went worse?

And it was directed by Spielberg too...
>>
>Budget $140 million
>Box office $41.8 million

JUST
>>
>>71828617
Holy shit really?

I guess kids of this generation are not interested in fantasy movies like we were... how come? Is it due to nowadays apps and technology where they dont care about cinematic adventurous experiences?
>>
>>71828259
>and yet it gets 72% on Rotten Tomatoes
How is that possible if this bombed?
>>
File: 1467709935003.jpg (178 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
1467709935003.jpg
178 KB, 720x1080
>>
>>71828662
I'm not sure how popular Roald Dahl is with children today, but if it was made 10-15 years ago and named something other than BFG it would have been a success.
>>
>>71828699
It may be a good movie but audience just isn't interested
>>
>>71828662
Fantasy is out, capeshit is in
>>
>>71828699

It's a good movie, people just don't give a fuck about this movie. I love Spielberg but even I don't care for this movie
>>
no one wants to see a Disney movie that isn't Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar or animated
>>
It needed to have been called Big Friendly Giant instead of The BFG and actually marketed. No one even knew this movie was a thing.
>>
you're a big fucking guy
>>
It was too safe.

Roald Dahl stories are dark comedies for kids. The BFG book is actually really racist. Not even kidding.
>>
>>71828789
This. Everyone I know thought it was Big Fuckin Giant. Maybe that's why parents didn't take their kids.
>>
I'm sure if they used what it is rather than the letters, it would have done better.

Disney is stepping on its own toes with some releases.

I'm sure Pete's Dragon will suffer the same.
>>
I saw 1 trailer for this on TV, and only saw it once.

Lack of interest and lack of awareness compounded pretty hard.
>>
>>71828259
>BFG
>No Big Fucking Gun 9000
No kidding it was shit
>>
>>71828912
>don't you come round here big ears
>>
it was pretty good.
>>
>>71828259
Bad idea releasing this during the summer blockbuster season and in the wake of Finding Dory. Should have released in Oct/Nov.
>>
>>71829761
>Big Fucking Gun 9000
You mean Bio Force Gun
>>
>>71829912
nope
Big Fucking Gun
>>
Bad marketing, poor timing, and a shitty fucking stupid title are just a few reasons why this film bombed harder than a terrorist on the 4th of July
>>
>>71828259
No advertising(I didn't know it came out until news reports said it flopped)
It came out around the same time as finding Dory.
>>
spielbergs career has been over for around 20 years and I'm pretty sure no kids nowadays are familiar with roald dahl
>>
>>71829932

This

It happened with John Carter and The Good Dinosaur and will keep happening if they keep repeating the same formula.

You are the biggest fucking movie company in the world yet you can't release appealing teasers and build Hype. When you treat movies like an event only happening once in a lifetime, you get your money back and get profit, even if your movie is trash. If you treat your high budget-big director movie like it's just sort of happening and you don't let people know what you are doing, then it's your fault, not today's kids who don't know about Roald Dahl.
>>
File: bobbyseriously.jpg (45 KB, 740x721) Image search: [Google]
bobbyseriously.jpg
45 KB, 740x721
>Title doesn't indicate what the movie is about
>CGI looks bad in the trailer
>Expecting people to go and see this in theaters
>mfw
>>
File: 1468090424810.jpg (110 KB, 597x888) Image search: [Google]
1468090424810.jpg
110 KB, 597x888
>>71828259
>Or what went worse?
Heaven's Gate comes to mind.
And that one Hermione was in that made 47 Bings

>>71828722
>posting the inferior version
>>
>>71828662
Nah if that were the case Harry Potter would've been a massive flop. BFG just looked boring and having a giant old guy being the protag probably doesn't help.
>>
BIG
>>
>>71830526
GUY
>>
>>71830128
Pretty true, I still have no fucking idea about it.
>>
>>71830077
Yeah. For how long have the buzz around Suicide Squad been around? 18 months? Bridesmaid with ghosts? 6 months? But this. Totally bumrushed.
>>
BFG was one of Dahl's weaker books too
>>
>>71828259
Nothing in the trailers looked good, the shit tier premise and characters, pedo vibe.
>>
I don't really get why they didn't do "BFG (big friendly giant)" or something like that in the poster.

That said, it's main problem was releasing with summer blockbusters and being a bit boring.

How the fuck you can make Dahl boring to me is a mystery but apparently Spielberg did it.

Plus I suspect that America really gets arseblasted when a story doesn't revolve around Americans saving the world.
>>
Just watch the animated version instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qZfUSa63-Q

>British animated used to be based
>now it's pretty much Aardman and that's it
>>
>>71831194
Yep. Just look at BvS, it was marketed out the ass and made $800 million despite the absolutely terrible reception.
>>
They made a new doom movie?they needed to market it better.
>>
>>71831634
BvS would have made less if it didn't have been released arround the world all at once.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.