[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Marco Polo [A Netflix Original]
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 14
File: maximilianresdefault.jpg (102 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maximilianresdefault.jpg
102 KB, 1280x720
would Marco Polo [A Netflix Original] be any better without the white fella?

did they really need a white protagonist to sell this show?
>>
If it had an all white cast it would be as popular as GoT.
>>
Don't know if troll or not.
>>
Can't they make Marco Polo without Marco Polo?

~LE~ Bait
>>
File: tumblr_mq94q9Km1L1runkeeo6_250.gif (881 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mq94q9Km1L1runkeeo6_250.gif
881 KB, 250x188
>>71806331
could've been the Khan
>>
>>71806241
there trying to cater to their main demographic. The same could be said for Piper in Orange is the new Black. Her character is the most boring and unnecessary one, but they want to cater to white women
>>
>>71806377
>makes 1 chinese side character
>"we'll have the chinese market garanteed!"

Hollywood producers believe in this meme
>>
>>71806464
That one chinese character is the most based one through. He even got his own prequel episode.
>>
File: 980x.jpg (62 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
980x.jpg
62 KB, 600x900
will they ever show a vast horde in this show?
>>
>>71806464
cricket minister and the khan's son was trans-chinese
>>
is the second season out
>>
>>71806241
The second season pretty much forgot he was supposed to be the star anyways.
>>
>>71806331

It would be called Kublai Khan.

I don't think Polo is that bad - and he is Lorenzo Richelmy's first English-language role - but Benedict Wong's Kublai just owns the show so much there's no comparison.
>>
I'm on episode 7 of season two and I have to say Marco is barely in it anymore
>>
>>71806241
here's the thing swj dont understand, if you have an foreign culture you need an 'every-man' audience stand so that cultural differences/customs can be explained otherwise the audience(who aren't mostly mongols from the 13th century) will be left in the dark. it would be dumb having a mongol explain mongol culture to another mongol
>>
>>71806897
>, if you have an foreign culture you need an 'every-man' audience stand so that cultural differences/customs can be explained otherwise the audience(who aren't mostly mongols from the 13th century) will be left in the dark. it would be dumb having a mongol explain mongol culture to another mongol
>here's the thing swj dont understand
>sjw
ughh

would you stop
>>
can kokachin just fuck off goddamn is everything related to her uninteresting
>>
>>71806241
Just finished s2, not as hyped as I was towards the end of s1 but still very enjoyable even if Marco has a bit too much focus on him.

The show definitely would've been better as The Mongol tv show sequel to Mongol Rise of Ghengis Khan when? but it works like this and might've never been made had it not had a white lead.

>>71806665
They probably don't have the budget but they've had some fairly large battles in the show.

>>71806820
>and he is Lorenzo Richelmy's first English-language role
Didn't know that. I think he does pretty well considering that.

>but Benedict Wong's Kublai just owns the show
He does but I think the show has pretty strong main cast.

And I think Claudia Kim would be enough to make me watch it.
>>
File: mongol.jpg (127 KB, 540x622) Image search: [Google]
mongol.jpg
127 KB, 540x622
>the Khan will never deliver a speech for you to hear
>>
>>71806962
She does fuck off eventually but sadly her plotline first dominates most of s2.
>>
File: great_fingolian_horde.png (145 KB, 1600x660) Image search: [Google]
great_fingolian_horde.png
145 KB, 1600x660
>>71806993
You were born too late to hear the khans of old speak but you might just be in time for the great khans of the new.
>>
File: story1639.gif (39 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
story1639.gif
39 KB, 600x450
>>71806241
he's actually doing things. if you think he's not, you haven't realized every other character has just as much stupid writing.

all the best parts are just marco being lost and clueless with no idea what to do. the actual large-scale "plot" is nonsense.
>>
>>71806948
>would you stop
nice argument
>>
>>71807032
>sadly
I really enjoyed it
>>
I was kind of hoping that they'd move on from the Mongol stuff and chronicle Marco's other adventures

But now they never will since people just want more Mongols
>>
File: mp-102c.png (760 KB, 1284x856) Image search: [Google]
mp-102c.png
760 KB, 1284x856
[grunts]
>>
can somebody remind me what the hell happened in season 1

all I remember is that they took the city and marco slept with the princess chick that the prince is going to marry

is that correct
>>
It was probably a mistake to call the show Marco Polo because they've been moving away from him as the central character in season 2.
Plus when most people think of Polo they think about his book describing his travels all along the silk road, not just his time spent with the mongols
>>
>>71807484
Marco Polo is a recognizable and by that I mean marketable name though

I suppose "Mongol: something something" would have worked too though
>>
>>71807355
That's right a couple more things you need to remember are
the blue princess isn't the real Kokachin she was the handmaiden

Ahmad was planning to overthrow the khan which is the main plot of season 2
>>
>>71807567
>Ahmad

oh right that stupid shit
>>
>>71807355
>>71807567
Also I think there might've been something about Kaidu who rules the lands of Karakorum the old capital of Mongols doesn't like how Kublai is becoming too chinese and sees this as a threat to the Mongols. He's the father of Claudia Kim's character who married Kublai's bastard son Byanba(the huge mongol dude).
>>
what was Nayan's sin?
>>
>>71808037
He's a pedo
>>
>>71808037
footfaggotry
>>
>>71807827
>claudia kim
i really like her, she needs to be in more stuff.
>>
>>71808096
proof m8
>>
It really isn't about marco polo. Polo's just one of the many characters, you could say the series really has no defined main character, which is great by the way. S2 was dope, I think the show's way underrated
>>
Without spoiling anything, Season 3 is looking like it will be the best yet.
>>
File: pastor's daughter.webm (597 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
pastor's daughter.webm
597 KB, 720x404
Genghis Khan show when?
>>
>>71808425
spoil me senpai
>>
>>71808816
Prester John, a semi-mythological Christian king, is going to war with Kublai. They haven't showed him yet except as a shadowy figure with an almost supernatural ability to move an army around undetected.
>>
>>71809031
Ah so that's who the guy was. His introduction was a bit over the top if you ask me but be good shit
>>
>>71806241
Its called Marco Polo because the khan's arc will not last forever. I've read some articles about Kublai Khan and I see he will not live too much longer, so they give it 1 or 2 more seasons and then marco polo jumps with hundred eyes (because they are bros) to another place. Maybe China or India, i guess.
>>
They ruined TORETTO in this season. He became a crybaby
>>
>>71808037

he likes lolis
>>
File: nayansloli.jpg (95 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
nayansloli.jpg
95 KB, 1920x1080
>>71811338
>>
>>71808144
When he was with the christians and he was asked what was his sin he said it was of the flesh. Before this the first time he meets the concubine's daughter he looks at her long and hard. The discussions between Ahmad and the concubine about her daughter and Nayan heavily imply what's coming if she was to be sold to him.

I'm fairly sure there's more but this is what I remember from the top of my head.
>>
Show is just american soap opera garbage that is actually less interesting than the real story, same thing with Narcos.
>>
>>71809031
>>71809157
When it was first revealed that Nayan had met him I got excited that Nayan was simply fooling the christians and it was part of some Kublai's great plan since I had heard about Prester John before and remembered that a lot of what christians thought were done by him at the time were actually done by the mongols. I was sort of disappointed to see him be real in the show but I guess they needed something for s3.
>>
>>71807099
how did this finns are mongolian meme come about?
>>
>>71806241
This show is almost entirely about Kublai, based Benedict is beast moding the entire series.

Marco isnt the main character which is actually refreshing..but it means the show is misnamed...

Thats actually why I like him, he isnt Tom Cruz, hes not a mary sue mother of dragons or jon snow sword god, he scrapes by and tries to be a moral compass for his khan, but he is hardly the focus of the show.
>>
File: 2000px-Travels_of_Marco_Polo.svg.png (524 KB, 2000x1811) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Travels_of_Marco_Polo.svg.png
524 KB, 2000x1811
>>71809817
He didn't go to India he sailed around it stopping off at a port maybe sometimes. But that would be very late into his travels. We still have alot of his time in China to go through, especially since the writers are now writing fan-fiction.
>>
>>71806241
no. I would watch the shit out of a show just about the mongols.
>>
>>71806993

>the khan will never embrace you in a hug just to strangle you.
>>
Wait... so Ahmad was so buttblasted after fucking his own mum that he decided to be a supervillain?
>>
>>71813223
Some guys stab their own eyes out, some just keep doing it, and some attempt to topple empires.
>>
The plot armor on the whole kublai khan crew is what ruins the show. They are all horrible people that like to play god with the common people, yet we are suppose to sympathize and root for them. Fuck that. Every episode I wish someone kills that fat fuck and his cunt wife. Also they couldn't have gotten a better looking male role for Marco Polo? Nigga looks like a gapped tooth retard.
>>
>>71813361

kek whats with the hate for the marco polo guy ?

i mean, the guy isnt winning any oscar any time soon, but he isnt that bad.
>>
>>71806897
Apocolypto and Valhalla Rising don't really explain anything to their audience, why should this?
>>
>>71812969
Any guesses for what Terbil is? Sounds like Erbil in Kurdistan, but looks closer to Iranian Tabriz
>>
File: marco_polo_map.jpg (87 KB, 482x346) Image search: [Google]
marco_polo_map.jpg
87 KB, 482x346
>>71813361
I have bad news for you, Kublai Lived until he was 78 of illness. His wife however should actually be dead or will die soon since she died before Kaidu's rebellion in real life. Also his grandson was an adult when Kaidu's rebellion happened as well. Actually everything in this show is abit off historically.

>>71813585
That is actually a good question another map shows him going through Tabriz so I think it might be a typo. Only results for Terbil are as a last name.
>>
>>71812438
Finns speak an uralic language. In the past uralic languages were believed to be "altaic" an therefore related to turkic and mongolic languages. There's still altaicists, in fact.
>>
>>71807484
Most people knows about Marco Polo but very few have read the actual book or know what he did in his travels apart from "going to China".
>>
>>71813223
They needed to make him a villain sooner or later because that's how chinese tradition remembers him.
>>
>>71806241
What language do Kublai and Marco converse in? Arabic? That's the only language both of them would probably know.
>>
>>71813585
>>71813737

Maybe Ardebil? It's not exactly where the map says, but close enough.
>>
>>71814270
According to this http://www.biography.com/news/marco-polo-facts-netflix-series

>No. 6: In addition to his native tongue, Marco wrote that he knew four languages. He never elaborated on which four they were, but from his writings, historians have surmised they were Mongolian, Persian, Arabic, and Turkish — not Chinese.

Granted, it's probably not the most reliable source ever.
>>
This season was a little bit less than the first, mainly because of the whole schizo blue princess crap which took at least 15 minutes per episode. Battle scenes and Wong still make it a very watchable show. It's not something I'm eagerly awaiting but it's a nice surprise when it pops up on your Netflix. Hope we get to see more of the Crusader States, some of that history writes itself.
>>
>>71814401

didnt he write that he was a governor in china, and yet no Chinese texts even remotely talk about him ?

did he even leave Italy lol ?
>>
>>71814564
The link exposes arguments for and against Polo.

Personally, I don't think he needed to lie considering that others travelled to China before him, but he probably exaggerated his perosnal deeds.
>>
How come they didn't make flashback Gengis white?
>>
>>71814564
He did write about stuff that only someone who was in China at the time could have known about like the currency exchange rate between paper money from the north and silver in the south.
>>
>>71814785
Cause he chilled in the Crimea and talked to the traders
>>
I feel like the show is an excuse to show off asian culture. But netflix was afraid people would be bugged by an all ethnic cast and got a white guy
>>
>Italians
>white
We wuz pioneers n sheeteeeit.
>>
>>71806897
You absolutely do not and there are thousands of shows and movies that prove this.
>>
why does marco talk like a twat?
>>
>Kublai talks about the importance of blood and how sacred it's
>Gets mad at Marco for sparing his own father
>>
Khutulun is mai waifu
>>
>>71814785
>implying he didn't just google it
Or whatever the alternative was back then, Yahoo?
>>
>they already killed off kaidu and kokajin/spoiler]

well
that's certainly gonna save a lot of time plot wise.
>>
Orus dies before Kaidu. 30 years war resolved in a couple of months

I mean, I knew this wasn't going to be 100% historical, but come the fuck on
>>
>>71806948
You've never seen an anime?
>>
Please, Tengri, hear my plea, don't let any bad happen to Khutulun
>>
>>71816982
italian
>>
>>71816982
Actor is Italian and this is his first work in English
>>
File: 1463267849120.jpg (10 KB, 180x200) Image search: [Google]
1463267849120.jpg
10 KB, 180x200
is this show actually good or is it yellow feverfags just going nuts over a white guy slaying slanted pussy
>>
>>71820513
benedict wong is the fucking bomb
>>
>>71820513
it's fat vancouver chinks pushing this shit

if they weren't fat they'd be out doing other annoying chink shit, like group dates to the basketball court
>>
>>71820530
>mfw Benedict Wong will play as wong in dr strange movie
POTTERY
>>
File: fag.gif (2 MB, 426x239) Image search: [Google]
fag.gif
2 MB, 426x239
>you will never be khan and talk down to everyone on the planet whilst I sitting comfortably and eating endless food in the throne tent and receiving and endless line of gifts from pussy ass subjects across your vast empire eager to gain brownie points with the most powerful man in the world

why live
>>
>>71820562
>it's fat vancouver chinks pushing this shit
>if they weren't fat they'd be out doing other annoying chink shit, like group dates to the basketball court
what
>>
I love this show but some of the shit in it is beyond retarded

Why did the guards at the end attack the crown prince, his brother and a general just because some guy who was totally not Mongol at all told them too? Why did this also include the guards who were with the general and princes when they discussed their plan, and thus would have known that Ahmad was a fag?

Why did that happen at all? Why didn't the princes just walk up to the town gates and tell the general and his soldiers that Ahmad was a fag?

But Kaidu's daughter was hot af m8s jesus help me
>>
>>71821022
Dramatic tension, and so that Mei Lin could get a revenge kill.
>>
>>71816071
I want /pol/ to leave.
Seriously, are you not happy in your containment board?
>>
File: claudia kim.png (202 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
claudia kim.png
202 KB, 500x381
Will Byamba be there?
>>
I binged watched season two too fast and the crazy fighting was too much
>>
Claudia Kim is hot and all, but how about that dancer that Marco bangs? Best girl of the show so far
>>
>>71806464
>makes one chinese side character
>almost every side character is chinese
>only two mongol side characters in the entire show
>one of them is only quarter mongolian and hates dominic torreto
>>
>>71821282
Spanish girl by the way
>>
>>71806241
what happened to season 2?
>>
>>71821405
Yeah I creeped on her twitter/instagram looking for more but I can't understand shit. She needs more roles
>>
>>71821022
ahmad was vice regent and controlled the military, his ruse was kublai was ordering to him to lockdown the city he was away fighting kaidu. ahmad could preatty much make up anything he wanted because he had that much power in the absence of kublai since he could essentially rule the city by proxy with the military none the wiser. the princes could come in and say whatever they wanted but ahmad could order the military to do whatever he wanted and say it was kublai's orders and that jingam and byamba were the 'real' traitors.
>>
>>71821441
Her tits were GOAT
>>
Is the season 2 out?
>>
>>71821513
>you will never be that weird looking, fag sounding italian fella that gets to squeeze her tits for money

Didn't Marco also bang Claudia Kim in the first season before she got married? And the blue princess. Polo dips his stick in some premium oil
>>
>>71821523
it came on 1st july, didn't you get the little alarm bell notification on the netflix main page?
>>
>>71806241
>be any better without the white fella?
I don't know. this season he seemed very unconected with the plot till the second half
>>71806331
except when you pick up a show named Marco Polo you expect adventure across many lands. imagine if you picked up da vinci and it was about agriculture
>>
>>71821587
Nah. I haven't use the PS4 in 2 weeks. Thanks for the info, I have now something to do in the week.
>>
>>71821523
yep.season 3 is going to be about crusaders fighting the hord because in this reality mongols are going to go all the way
>>
>>71821600
>da vinci
>not about gay sex with dead little boys
>>
>>71821573
yep, and mei lin is next. he stuck up for her, saved her life like twice, and brought her child back. you know they gonna bang next year.
>>
>>71821483
except kublais orders can't come out of thin air. 1 guy asked him for orders and ahmad promised to show them. ahmad knew he was fucked so he was just buying time in hope that other plots would save him
>>
>>71821631
damn, da vinci demons was so fucking good
>>
>>71821425
marco finds the child emperor and takes him to kublai. kublai kills the boy and marco is pissed.kublai takes marco hiking and beats the shit out of him saying marco constantly pushes of responsibility onto others so he can stay pure.marco saves him from a wolf so kublai puts him in a secret order. the blue princess is losing her mind and doing crazy shit. kublai's wife has fallen from favor.
kublai's brother says kublai has rigged the first election and now they must have another vote.kublai thinks to just kill them all but eventually goes along with it, it seems like he will win so kublai's brother,uncle and ahmad hatch a plan to kill him. pedo uncle is bribed with the cricket minister's sisters kid. he goes to Vatican and Vatican tells him to fuck kublai up, marcos dad turns out to have been working for the pope
>>
>>71821687
true but the point was he could use the military as he saw fit, at least long enough for kublai to lose the election and have kaidu march in and say good job i'll take it from here. but as well all know everything went to pure shit and like other anon said gave mei lin enough time to get there and kill him.
>>
>>71821822
th-thanks
>>
>>71821425
oh and the blind master turns out to have been in love with Chinese empress but kublai won't take his resignation. kublai is overall pissed about people leaving him and marco not killing his own father
>>
>>71806241

It never would have gotten the funding to do this show without the western component.

I agree the show does well when it focuses on the asian actors but nobody gives a shit about mongols invading china, then japan/korea.

I wish they would tone down the wushu or however it is spelled, it might not have been completely grounded before but I had that aspect of chinese cinema. 100 eyes just being a badass was much better than all the extra air dancing.

While polo can be wooden at times he was much better this season compared to the first and overall was a much better season (season 2) narratively.
>>
>I only found out now that the second season was released
what the fuck
>>
>>71821022
>Why didn't the princes just walk up to the town gate
I don't know. guy loyal to him even recognizes him and that is how he get into town.
>guards at the end attack
Im assuming they are Ahmad's personal men like that other guy who stabs himself in a leg (I liked that it was the leg and not the edge lord thing of stabbing in the heart)
>>
>>71821884
>chinese empress
she was a monk like him
>>
>>71820513
so you don't watch the show eh? most of the nudity is in the background. Im wondering if season 2 had any tits beyond Ahmads unsexy bdsm.marco not only does not slay any pussy but the only girl he likes is marred to someone else and is also crazy.marco tries to fit in but every other conversation seems to be "yes you did save my life but what have you done to me lately" and "are you going to believe me or this roundeyed faggot?"
>>
>>71821655

that wouldn't be that bad considering he needs some grounding and the fact she constantly gives him shit amuses me.
>>
>>71817529
I was surprised by Kublai being pissed. its not like marco's dad has any key info. it would have been smarter to capture him but marco learned from what happened with the kid emperor.Kublai is just being a bitch
>>
Is this show worth watching?
>>
>>71822141
i liked season 1
i'm just about to watch s2'
>>
>>71813223
kek. that was beyond retarded.hell it would be one thing if his dad had set him up but given how many cosmic coincidence would need to happen for that woman to have been his mom its more likely that he just mixed up the melody.
>>
>>71822141
if you have nothing better to do
>>
what was the khan chopping up in the first episode of S2?
>>
>>71822567
The heads that his son rode back to Kaidu with
>>
>>71822298
What is it better or worse than? Compare it to Black Sails, Vikings or something.
>>
>>71822588
oh okay i never really got what was up with the heads. whose heads were they?
>>
>>71822618
No idea. Never got it either
>>
>>71822597

Blonde bitch from Black Sails is probably never going to get hers so just for that I would say its worse, and Vikings was a better show early on in its run but despite maybe Rollo and Ragnar who are most likely both going to be gone, I'd say it is better than Vikings now.
>>
>>71822641
>>71822618

They're doing an election within the horde and essentially killing the messenger = strongman tactic, which is why Kaidu is being pushed to do something similar back towards the Khan as a show of strength.

Think of it like politics but less subterfuge and more violence to achieve the same goals.
>>
>>71822222
nice get anon
well done
Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.