[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who has been an A-lister for the longest time? My guess is Eastwood
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 298x169) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 298x169
Who has been an A-lister for the longest time?
My guess is Eastwood as he is been very famous since The Fistful of Dollars (1964)
Does anyone comes close?
>>
>>71778890
Spaghetti Westerns weren't very popular at the tome.
>>
Tom Cruise is the closest thing to a consistent A-list celebrity for decades. Over 30 years now, not pigeon holed into niche roles yet, and still one of the highest grossing actors. Others have been famous longer, but few have been A-list as long.
>>
>>71779019
What about The Good, The Bad and The Ugly?

>>71779026
Thats true I guess, the most consistent is either him or Tom Hanks
>>
>>71778890
maybe Dustin Hoffman with The Graduate
>>
>>71779126
>Tom Hanks

Hasn't really been in anything super major or has been a big draw since those DaVinci movies, no?
>>
Al Pacino has been succesful since The Godfather, and DeNiro, since Mean Streets
>>
>>71779622
Well, he's been in a Spielberg movie this year, (and he will be in another DaVinci movie), but he is still pretty consistent since the late 80s
>>
>>71779741
both the 70s friendo
>>
>>71779839
I know, but they come close
>>
>>71779806
Is Spielberg still a A-Listers-User?
>>
>>71779126
on release, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly received criticism for its depiction of violence.[38] Leone explains that "the killings in my films are exaggerated because I wanted to make a tongue-in-cheek satire on run-of-the-mill westerns... The west was made by violent, uncomplicated men, and it is this strength and simplicity that I try to recapture in my pictures."[39] To this day, Leone's effort to reinvigorate the timeworn Western is widely acknowledged.[28]

Critical opinion of the film on initial release was mixed as many reviewers at that time looked down on Spaghetti Westerns. In a negative review in The New York Times, critic Renata Adler said that the film "must be the most expensive, pious and repellent movie in the history of its peculiar genre."[40] Charles Champlin of the Los Angeles Times wrote that the "temptation is hereby proved irresistible to call The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, now playing citywide, The Bad, The Dull, and the Interminable, only because it is."[41] Roger Ebert, who later included the film in his list of Great Movies,[42] retrospectively noted that in his original review he had "described a four-star movie, but only gave it three stars, perhaps because it was a 'Spaghetti Western' and so could not be art". Ebert also points out Leone's unique perspective that enables the audience to be closer to the character as viewers see what he sees.[43]
>>
>>71779871
but they aren't Eastwood or Hoffman (60s)
or really I just thought about Redford as he was in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969)
>>
File: 14288277225538.jpg (71 KB, 261x317) Image search: [Google]
14288277225538.jpg
71 KB, 261x317
>>71779937
reminds me of the 'capeshit can't be art' crowd
>>
>>71779937
hmm thats interesting, so what was
Eastwood's big break?
>>
>>71780027
EVERY FUCKING THREAD
>>
Robert Redford? All is Lost was great.
>>
File: images.jpg (14 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
14 KB, 300x300
>>
>>71780157
he was definitely famous for a while in the 80s, but he isnt now
>>
>>71780073
Eastwood was a tv star since Rawhide and a leading man since A Fistful of Dollars. I think Dirty Harry was his first big mega hit.
>>
>>71780003
Hoffman hasn't been a-list for a while
>>
>>71780340
Dirty Harry came out in '71 so he's been famous longer than deNiro or Pacino
>>
Ehh, probably, followed by Jack Nicholson
>>
>>71780800
I thought Nicholson's big break was in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, in 75. Even though he was great in Easy Rider, it wasn't quite a succesful film.
>>
>>71780890
He literally had 4 Oscar nominations before One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.
>>
>>71781393
wew, I said shit, then
thanks for the correction
>>
File: boo radley.jpg (130 KB, 1600x1040) Image search: [Google]
boo radley.jpg
130 KB, 1600x1040
>>71778890

boo radley
>>
Tom Hanks would be my guess
>>
>>71780890
Easy Rider was quite a hit, the major Hollywood blockbuster type we know now but a creeping success playing to crowds of urban hipsters and stoned college kids everywhere
>>
>>71778890
Kirk Douglas?
>>
>>71778890
>>71782729
Also Sean Connery
>>
It's gotta be Mel Gibson, or Darren Wilson. At least in my household that is.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.