[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Boyhood
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 5
Does anyone else think, that this is a brilliant movie?
>>
Why are his arms so short?
>>
File: dat-boi-memes-boihood.jpg (176 KB, 500x741) Image search: [Google]
dat-boi-memes-boihood.jpg
176 KB, 500x741
>>71770424
I heard it took 2 million years to make
>>
i just really love linklater. love everything he's done. haircut scene in boyhood really resonated with me too
>>
>>71770424
>Boyhood is a good movie
Back to lebbid you go ;)
>>
yes op, but the capeshit plebs here are too developmentally stunted to even begin to understand the beauty of this film.

it's a masterwork, linklaters best by far. probably the greatest thing he ever has or will make.
>>
>>71770513
Dude. Don't you know that it took TWELVE years to make? You get to watch a boy grow up on screen.
>>
File: pepe.jpg (12 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
12 KB, 251x242
>RLM turned this generation defining masterpiece into nothing more than a meme simply because they both hate/don't understand linklater
>>
>>71770513
:)
good post my friend hahaha
>>
I liked the first half, he turned into a boring teen.
>>
Patricia Arquettes breakdown at the end of the movie is one of the finest pieces of acting in modern cinema. I'm completely serious.
>>
>>71770642
her transformation into a high test goddess is one of the finest pieces of acting in modern cinema. I'm completely serious.
>>
>>71770561
>>71770512
I love Linklater but Boyhood was dogshit
>>
>>71770693
why do you think that?
>>
>>71770758
because there were no insightful conversations, which are the cornerstone of Linklater films

the Before trilogy had conversations about the nature of love, relationships and men and women. Tape had conversations about consent, boundaries and friendship. Waking Life was philosophical and it discussed free will, consciousness and existence

there was NONE of that in Boyhood, just a snotty kid whining about nothing. Growing up isn't an achievement unto itself and he certainly didn't seem to gain any wisdom from it. The scene that sticks with me is his photography teacher telling him he has real talent but needs to get off his ass and work, and him just kinda giving him a weed stare saying that working hard isn't "his thing" or whatever. Then he upgraded to better drugs and college, the end
>>
i liked it but i say it's fucking shit when asked by people.
>>
Boyhood is the modern Tokyo Story. I really don't understand why /tv/ can dislike it so much.
>>
Does he wear a hood ever in the movie?
Seriously asking. I haven't seen it.
>>
>>71770893

>because there were no insightful conversations, which are the cornerstone of Linklater films

holy fuck
never watch a linklater film again

"insightful" conversations are barely present in anything linklater has done, save for the the before trilogy.
>>
Did you know it took 12 YEARS to make?
>>
>>71770893
you judge films solely on the content of its dialogue?
>>
>>71770424
fucking awesome movie. The actor was kind of weak at times but it was an investment either way
>>
>>71770940
not an argument
>>
>>71770929

literally because RLM told them it's shit, so they just started memeing now it's cool to hate it.
>>
>>71770424
Did you know it was shot over 12 years?
>>
>>71770513
what's lebbid?
>>
Does anyone else think that sister was pretty hot and a very cool person?
>>
>>71770961
what do you judge Linklater movies on? The special effects? Costume and set design?
>>
>>71770982
>>71770943
>>71770542
>>71770492

you people are pathetic
>>
>>71770940
Waking Life has no insightful conversations at all right?
>>
>>71770424
I think, that your grammar is shit.
>>
>>71770995
do you think those are the only things a movie consists of?
>>
one of the best films of 2014
only low IQ videogame playing plebs dislike this piece of art
>>
>>71771012
you didn't answer me
>>
>>71771007

Waking Life is the worst thing Linklater has made.
>>
>>71770693
yeah, you like Dazed and Confused or School of Rock sure but don't care for Linklater
>>
>>71771023
you didn't answer me either
>>
>>71770561
How many years did it take you to come up with the scating criticism of our generation's Ebert and Siske?
>>
>>71770424
No. It's absolute shit intended for normalfag millennials
>>
>>71771037
Linklater movies live and die based on dialogue. The acting is never terrible and neither are the technical aspects so yes dialogue is the defining feature of his films
>>
>>71770995
>The special effects
What? We're talking about Richard Linklater, duderoni
>>
>>71771025
That'd be School of Rock or Suburbia
>>
>>71770424
Did you guys know it took 12 years to make??????? Holy shit, right?
>>
>>71771025
because ..... ?
>>
>>71771082
which scene in the movie supports your argument?
>>
>>71770969
i unironically believe this

boyhood wad great
>>
>>71771098
>Suburbia
Not to be confused with shia labouf flick
>>
I'm convinced /tv/ hates Boyhood because it's one of the most intimate and realistic depictions of male maturity ever made in cinema, and most shitposters can't relate because they never experienced social or sexual advancements beyond a computer screen, thus for them the film is inaccessible.

We talk a lot about "films women will never be able to understand", but Boyhood honestly is a film betas will just never get.
>>
Not one of my Linklater's favorites, but great nonetheless
>>
>>71771115

because it's the fedora's manifesto

also
>alex jones
>>
>>71771192
drop the mic
>>
remember when this first came out and the ratings were 100 and 99 and /tv/ pretended to love it

and then they started to hate it when it became kinda popular
>>
>>71771192

This is exactly accurate. You can't be mad though, the robot betas here are just physically unable to understand or enjoy Boyhood.
>>
>>71771201
>it talks about philosophy therefore it's anti-religious

biblefags really are raging against the dying of the light huh
>>
>>71770969
What's RLM?
>>
>>71771192
people here only hate it because it got good reviews

yet people here like BvS...

this board has dogshit taste and has for a while.
>>
>>71771192
you are exactly right

bravo
>>
>>71771192
>>71771271
>>71771247
>>71771228
>>71771215
these are all me
>>
>>71770424
>it's a 'linklater makes another film without a plot' episode
>>
>>71771287

>it's a pleb doesn't understand what the word plot means episode
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 640x372) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 640x372
>>71771284
you seem upset
>>
>>71771192
can you give a specific example of the main character becoming more mature or experiencing social advancement?
>>
>>71771247
it's almost as if 4chan is filled with le ironic contrarians
>>
>>71771287
>without a plot

:)
>>
>>71771325
me again
>>
>>71771287
Yes, because every film must contain carefully telegraphed 3-act structures with an explicit heroes journey laid out.

Fuck off, go watch 400 Blows or some Ozi and educate yourself
>>
>>71771363
talking to myself here
>>
>>71771330
it's not ironic anymore

people here have gotten genuinely stupid

Poe's Law
>>
>>71771536
and here you are
>>
>>71771142
Every single one of them.
>>
>>71771327
I'm on mobile, so I'm not going to type out an essay on the shit, but I'd say there are 3 main arcs. First, when his teacher tells him to drop the "Le talented underachiever" act and realise that talent means fuck all unless you work to hone it.

Then there's hi relationship with his dad, he starts off loving his dad, seeing him as the myth he wants him to be. Then he begins to resent him for being a loser. Then when his dad gets his life together, Mason is all passed off that his dad has had to change, until he realises being a man is also about accepting your flaws and making sacrifices for your family.

Then there's when he breaks up with his girlfriend because he's some judgemental twat. He goes t ocollege and meets a girl who talks about endless moments in life, and about how they seize us. At that point he realises it's time to stop worrying about other people, focus on the moments, try to not let them pass without understanding they won't come again.

Mason is basically your standard teen. Like all of us, he's often pretentious, cunty and blind to things larger than himself. As he grows towards the end of the film he begins to realise that it's okay to change, even if you don't like it at first. One of the biggest things you realise as you grow up, is that becoming a man means you give up bits of yourself to the people around you, and make the best of what you can instead of waiting for the world to change to suit you. That's why I love Boyhood, it's an essay on growing up.
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 205x205) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 205x205
>>71771572
unfortunately
>>
>>71771599
none of these things translate into actions though. He sees things that are supposed to make him more mature but he never seems to do it. He was always a detached stoner and even at the end of the film he bonds with this girl over fucking shrooms. You say that he has learned to make the best of what he has but we never see any of that, either. We know he went to college for photography but we don't know how he did there. We're supposed to assume he's become more mature based on his experiences, as if those always have the same effect.

Basically I think the people who are in love with this movie like to self-insert as Mason and to reminisce about their own childhood and think about their growth - a growth that we never actually see from him. Even at the end of the film Mason remains an incredibly passive person and someone who looks completely unable to handle a big problem, because he never had any - beyond his "drunkard" stepfathers who were like angels compared to most of their fellow drunks
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.