[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>retcon Sulu, make him gay >George Takei disapproves
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 7
File: Sulu2266.jpg (699 KB, 1167x1080) Image search: [Google]
Sulu2266.jpg
699 KB, 1167x1080
>retcon Sulu, make him gay
>George Takei disapproves

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-reacts-gay-sulu-909154
Well that backfired immediately.
>>
I wished I liked sucking dicks so I could say whatever I wanted in the identity political arena without repercussions.

Any of you guys want to help me practice liking to suck dicks?
>>
>>71761705
why would i care about what george takei thinks?
>>
>>71761705

Takei is a social media whore, of course he'll go counter to what people expect for more retweets
>>
>>71761748
Are you married? The easiest way to learn is if you tell your wife you have a "thinking-man's fetish" and you would like to prep the bull yourself before the encounter
>>
>>71761705
>leftists think faggot is their pet
>faggot turns out to be a person with functioning brain
shocking
>>
to be fair, the new guys can deviate from their past selves because of the time warp or whatever
>>
>>71761874

Shut up, Jean!
>>
>>71761874

So this is all Spock's fault for using that red matter. Now people are turning into faggots.
>>
>>71761769
hes right though
>>
Based Takei. He knows the difference between himself and the character he played.

>>71761874
Except given the Trek canon this basically says that Sulu chose to be straight in one universe and chose to be gay in another, which contradicts the supposed assertion that homosexuality is genetic.
>>
Isn't him gay???
>>
>>71761874
>spacetime anomalies can make you a faggot
worry.jpeg
>>
I really respect it when people call out pandering in media today. It's fucking cancerous and most people just roll with it.
>>
>"Sulu will be shown with his husband raising their daughter"

Wait what? How the fuck did they have a daughter if they're both men? Are the writers fucking retarded?
>>
>>71761748
Don't worry in like 10 years pedos will be the new gays so we'll all be living the high life.
>>
>>71762054
they probably adopted it. I bet it won't even be a human kid
>>
>>71762093
I bet it won't be a human husband.
>>
>>71762128
>Star Trek 4
>the crew set out to find a cure for Sulu's space AIDS
>>
>>71762153
They already have Nazi Sikh Blood.
>>
>>71761705
>http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-takei-reacts-gay-sulu-909154
Oh boy, this is awkward. His reasoning is completely justified.
>>
>>71761705
I get where he's coming from, it's kind of like making Spock gay because Zachary Quinto is.
>>
>>71762054
It's the future, so maybe men can get pregnant.
>>
>>71762430
or more accurately, making him a dog fucker because nimoy was
>>
>>71762456
or giving kirk a child bride because shatner fucks kids
>>
>>71761705
In a weird way I kind of feel like this is almost disrespectful to both Rodenberry and Takei.
>>
>make the only asian male a gay

is this even getting a china release
>>
>>71762488
fucking kek, this. they made him a kickass parachuting samurai acrobat only to alienate the chinks later on. they better hope tumblr pays better than the entirety of China.

jokes aside though, they'll probably just edit the gay stuff out over there.
>>
>>71762472
>In a weird way
it IS disrespectful. its destroying an icon on its anniversary for sjw brownie points with the assumption that gays would be okay with it because gays like gays and want everything to be gay no matter what they were originally. its like if gene was black, so they made everyone black in his honor and made them all talk about social justice and deal with black shootings despite the futuristic setting. if that sounds stupid and insulting, now you understand. a man from such a free future having been married to a man and having a child and then going into the closet just makes no sense
>>
>>71762488
I bet they're going to cut that scene with Sulu and his husband out in the Chinese version.
>>
>>71761808
OR just get her a strap on... this cuck thing is just too much.
>>
>>71761705
Instead of getting straight writers to write about gay characters and their personal issues assuming that the LGBT audience would just eat it up they should just hire LGBT writers that actually know what they're talking about but even then that would be positive discrimination.
>>
>>71762541
Yeah, but the reason they pick sulu might be because he's gay. So it's kinda the only thing based on real life...

It's odd. George siding with Gene seems to make both fans and LGBT happy then.
>>
>>71762600
Being gay is that complicated? : / They fuck the same sex, it's about that simple. Hetero relationships are complex enough to be the inspiration to every single movie and song ever made practically. Just gender swap a person.

*Boop* There you go.
>>
>>71761705
George is completely justified and /tv/ and /pol/ should both be happy about it.

He didn't want Sulu to be gay because he's an established character. The actor was gay not the character and Takei understands that, respects that and accepts that. He told them not to make Sulu gay, if they were going to "honor" him he would have rather wanted a brand new unique character instead of retconning established lore (like they've butchered already so many times).

What gets me is the SJW's saying that Takei is wrong, and that he's ungrateful and that he doesn't get that it was a tribute to him. Typical bullshit from those groups that if you don't agree with them it's because your misogynst or it's because you've been marginalized by the system. It couldn't possibly be because they're wrong.

They're also basically saying in an offhand way that gay actors can only play gay characters.
>>
>>71761748
Milo metroprolpolis got you covered
>>
Oh my!
>>
The whole thing is hilarious.

>Lets make Sulu gay
>Here's to you Takei, did u rike it?
>"What the fuck is this? I never asked for this"
>WHO GIVES A SHIT WHAT TAKEI THINKS, SULU HAS ALWAYS BEEN GAY BECAUSE TAKEI IS GAY

I'm already full to bursting from drinking the tears
>>
>>71761748
It's men that are gross, not our awesome dicks n balls. If men, or at least some, looked like women but with dicks instead of a pussy oh boy oh boy oh boy
>>
>future utopia
>homosexuality hasn't been cured yet
Gene Roddenberry confirmed for hack.
>>
Based Takei.

I like it when "minorities" stand up and say that all of this pathetic pandering shit is terrible. A gay character in the new Star Trek? Go nuts, it fits in fine with the post-racial world Roddenberry imagined, and you could have a neat reveal at the end of the movie if you really wanted to be all "haha you thought this guy was a macho hero but he's actually gay!". Altering an existing character for brownie points is fucking pathetic.
>>
>HURR HURR OUR FRANCHISE IS SO PROGRESSIVE!
>Asian pilot can't drive for shit
I'm getting mixed messages here.
>>
>>71762992
Winner.
>>
>>71763030
I find it funny that the supposedly Japanese helmsman is being played by a Korean. It's like going backwards.
>>
>>71763146
>implying leftists are aware of ethnic differences within a race
>>
>>71762054
Would be hilarious if Kumar was the husband.
>>
>>71763146
Sulu was always supposed to be just a generic Asian representative, though, rather than any one country.

The real issue is that there are barely any decent Asian American actors, natives can't speak English for shit so they're right out, your only options are Viet scum and Koreaboos, no Japs relocated to the US after the whole internment camp and nuke shit. Chinks don't integrate, so they're out too.
>>
>>71761705
Eh
Honestly this is all so fucking irrelevant
I don't give a fuck they made Sulu gay
But then I don't give a fuck Takei doesn't approve either
>>
>>71761705
unless being a homo is somehow integral to the plot or a character's arc, why bother to assign them a sexual orientation in the first place? it's pretty clearly a marketing gimmick since they're throwing this shit out there before the film has even been released. it's stupid.
>>
>>71763234
>I don't care about any of this but I'll post my opinion of not caring to show I don't care
>>
>>71763208
>no Japs relocated to the US after the whole internment camp and nuke shit

But there are loads of Japanese Americans in Hawaii (and other non-state dependencies like Guam)
>>
>>71762465
>>71762456
Tip top kek
>>
>>71763273
>unless being a homo is somehow integral to the plot or a character's arc, why bother to assign them a sexual orientation in the first place?
cause you can have gags and shit around it
you have straight characters flirting in ton of movies even though those kinda scenes are rarely used for plot or arc reasons rather than for comedic relief and shit
In all honesty this is the worst fucking reasoning ever people throw around whenever this kinda shit happens. I'm not the biggest fan of minority quotas in every fucking movie these days but this argument is fucking stupid
>>
>>71763276
Welcome to 4chan m8
I just don't get why it's big deal to either direction which it obviously is seeing the thread has 52 replies
>>
File: Disgusting.jpg (67 KB, 744x600) Image search: [Google]
Disgusting.jpg
67 KB, 744x600
>>71763208
>No Asians in Hollywood
>He actually believes this
Just because they don't get cast, doesn't mean they aren't there.
>>
>>71761705
>>71761705
>>71761705
>Except Takeiwasn't overjoyed. He had never asked for Sulu to be gay. In fact, he'd much prefer that he stay straight. "I’m delighted that there’s a gay character," he tellsThe Hollywood Reporter. "Unfortunately, it’s a twisting of Gene’s creation, to which he put in so much thought. I think it’s really unfortunate."
>>
>>71761933
homosexuality has genetic factors. it is not entirely genetic. only about 20% of the human population is genetically locked into straight or gay. everyone else is potentially bisexual.
>>
>>71763926
This is what insane progressives actually think.
>>
>>71763926
citation needed to be quite honest, familia
>>
>>71763926
Proofs, tovarisch?
>>
>>71761705

Mr. Sulu. Warp speed. Directly towards that brown star!
>>
>>71764119
>not warp seed
>>
>>71763926
god id love to see the methodology for that study
>>
>>71761933

No it was due to a bunch of WIMPs passing through his body in one universe and MACHOs passing through his body in another.

I'll be leaving now.
>>
>>71762054

(Mad) scientists are working on developing male eggs and female sperm.

Or maybe the joke is that their daughter just looks like a younger version of him with longer hair, because Asians all look alike.
>>
>>71761705
i thought he always was ghey. they gave him the 50-60's fruity personality in the show not the over the top version... or maybe it was just his accent it didnt sound like a japanese guy was talking but he didnt sound normal
>>
>>71761915
the real spock died in wrath of kahn.

he was retconned back alive in search for clone spock
>>
>>71762153
>space AIDS

This is the best idea to come out of this.
>>
>george takei is gay
>so they have to make a character he played gay
George is able to differentiate himself from his roles.

This shit is just pathetic, its just justification for pandering to a degenerate base
>>
>>71764297
I guess from his point of view they are essentially telling him he didn't play a convincing straight person.
>>
>>71764297
>George is able to differentiate himself from his roles.
His only role in 40 years has been a random appearance in a shit film or show going "oh my!"
>>
>>71762745
underrated
>>
>>71764297
>its just justification for pandering to a degenerate base

Well which country was it, Canada?, they found that all the pedos they arrested there were fans of Star Trek. All of them.
>>
>>71761705

If they really wanted to honor Takei they should have had him play a new character who is gay. Fuck this forced diversity. Isnt it about time for a male Wonder Woman or a white Black Panther?
>>
>>71764663
Kek
>>
>>71764297
>This shit is just pathetic, its just justification for pandering to a degenerate base
I wonder how many gay Star Trek fans are happy about TOS characters being retconned with SJW garbage.
>>
>>71761705
>make him
he was very obviously already gay in the OS famm
>>
>>71764737

Star Trek fans can be very persnickety, autistic even.
>>
File: BP 01.jpg (2 MB, 1200x3583) Image search: [Google]
BP 01.jpg
2 MB, 1200x3583
>>71764663
>or a white Black Panther?
>>
File: BP 02.jpg (766 KB, 1195x1736) Image search: [Google]
BP 02.jpg
766 KB, 1195x1736
>>
>>71764663

There's a male Wonder Woman in the genderbent universe.
>>
>>71761874

So Vulcan being destroyed changed the alignment of the stars and made an already born Zulu gay due to.....
>>
>>71764813
>Black Panther fighting in Rhodesia
Sweet Jesus, would watch so hard
>>
>>71761748
>tfw addicted to girlcock but it doesn't count

It's not fair bros...
>>
>>71763926
>t. tumblr
>>
>>71764132
straight from the institute of pulled out of my ass
>>
>>71764813
>no sorry that was BLACKED widow
>>
>>71764841
>I was black once, briefly
I understood that reference
>>
Based Takei.

He's right. If they want a gay character, make one. Retconning one to being gay is kinda bullshit.
>>
File: 3350419-christopher-reeve1.jpg (454 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
3350419-christopher-reeve1.jpg
454 KB, 1280x1024
>>71761705
He's right, imagine if in order to make a tribute to Christopher Reeves they made Superman crippled?
>>
>>71764232

He was born in LA and grew up American and his mother was born American, so even if he spoke Japanese at home to his dad, he would have his whole life to not have a Japanese accent. He just has a weird way of talking.
>>
>>71763926
It's epigenetic, actually.
>>
>>71765465

They probably will because he's regenerating/recovering after getting Doomsday'd.

Actually that'd be petty cool. Though getting up and flying/walking after going through that would be a bit depressing.
>>
they're too fucking stupid to write an original gay character, so they just hijack a popular one to appease the gays with their progressive marketing shenanigans. then the gays call them out on their shit and they get btfo.

it's beautiful.
>>
>>71765418

When was Sulu ever established as being straight? He flirted with Uhura a few times, but he was never shown to have a love interest of any note, and it turned out he had *someone* raising a daughter back home, but it was never said to be a wife.
>>
>>71762054
You mean like in Modern Family? Are we going to get the first Star Trek reality sitcom?
>>
Nobody gives a sinlge shit about sulu.
If you would tell most normal people that sulu was gay they would answer "wasn't he always"

That is how uninteresting and unimportant his character.

Also what is wrong with some parallels to the real world?
It is like letting Danerys win the game of thrones because hillary wins the election
>>
The new ST is all about muh born special characters instead of having them earn their skills/abilities. That gets me more mad than the gay thing. How did a change in timeline make Chekov a math genius from birth, for example?

The JJ movie shat(ner) on everything ST stood for. The characters are basically The Eugenics Crew.
>>
>>71762524
China shouldn't like Sulu anyway. Sulu is Japanese.
>>
i don't really care much, but i just don't see the point.

will it add anything to the movie or have anything to do with anything? probably not.

just sounds like stupid marketing gimmick. "hey look at us, we too have gay character"
>>
>>71765995
It's the cool hip thing to do nowadays. Independence Day Resurgence, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, Finding Dory, now Star Trek, you gotta build a little extra buzz on the side so people cheer and feel warm fuzzies about throwing more money at you.
>>
>>71761748
Depends, how big and what color would you like to suck?
>>
>>71766112
Color?

idk, I like white meat and dark meat

White boys are so pretty

Skin as smooth as milk

White boys are so pretty

Hair like Chinese silk

White boys give me goose bumps

White boys give me chills

When they touch my shoulder

That's the touch that kills

Black boys are delicious

Chocolate flavored love

Licorice lips like candy

Keep my cocoa handy

I have such a sweet tooth

When it comes to love

Black boys are delicious

Mocha mousse, hot fudge

Maple syrup plenty

Hot brown sugar daddies,

They are my desert trays

When it comes to love
>>
>>71766152
DELETE THIS
>>
Best comment of the article:

So wait, they want to pay respect to the actor with an homage in a
manner that the actor doesn't agree. So they disrespect his wishes in
order to pay respect to him. Okay. Good job Hollywood
>>
>>71766190
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0sjn2m47T8
>>
>>71766152
>keep my cocoa handy

Lost it
>>
wtf I love Takei now
>>
>>71761933
Well the new timeline already has Chris Pine not looking anything like William Shatner
>>
File: 1275789985729.jpg (11 KB, 441x408) Image search: [Google]
1275789985729.jpg
11 KB, 441x408
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jul/08/simon-pegg-defends-gay-sulu-after-george-takei-criticism

pegg responds

>Our Trek is an alternate timeline with alternate details. Whatever magic ingredient determines our sexuality was different for Sulu in our timeline. I like this idea because it suggests that in a hypothetical multiverse, across an infinite matrix of alternate realities, we are all LGBT somewhere
>>
>>71766527
>multi-world fag-enablement

David Lewis was a mistake
>>
>>71766527
>in a hypothetical multiverse, across an infinite matrix of alternate realities, we are all LGBT somewhere

oh lord
>>
>Star Trek is set in future
>It's okay to be gay and transexual and whatever

Who knows if that is not the case? What if those will be forbidden?
>>
>>71766560
They already had man skirts in Star Trek
>>
>>71766527
Why not be really bold and daring and make one of the bridge officers an evangelical Christian?
>>
>>71766606

I'd happily watch based kirk fuck some kind of trap alien in the ass but I will boycott this movie over this.
>>
>>71766527
There's also a timeline where we're all heterosexual fascists
>>
>>71763196
I'm praying for this.
>>
>>71766782

shut up fag. I am straight in every universe.
>>
>>71766825
There's a universe where you dress up like a girl and get pounded by fat old men on a regular basis
>>
>>71767057

no way
>>
File: tumblr_nn63tyZkLD1syu53ro1_250.jpg (44 KB, 246x200) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nn63tyZkLD1syu53ro1_250.jpg
44 KB, 246x200
>>71761874
>to be fair, the new guys can deviate from their past selves because of the time warp or whatever
>>
>>71767289
This
In the movie universe Kirk totally got cucked by Space Sheldon while in the old timeline Kirk was pounding that sugary sweet ass like it was his job
>>
>>71762054
If you'd studied 2070 Paradigm Shift you'd know that we're not so far from male-male reproduction
>>
>>71767057
well yeah
>>
>>71761705
If the new Star Trek is just the old universe following a divergent path, then why would Sulu be gay? Doesn't this disprove the notion of being "born that way" and confirm that homosexuality is caused by environmental factors?
>>
>>71762531
Sulu is an icon? Give me a break.
>>
>>71766527
That response may as well be randomly generated from a list of buzzwords.
>>
>>71761768
Because they did for his approval and sweet, sweet diversity points.
>>
>>71764737
Not many.
>>
>>71761768
Are you retarded?
>>
>>71762412
" Gene Roddenberry would have wanted. "
was Roddenberry a gay hater?

doesn't he know how many creators get over ruled by networks and productions?
>>
>>71761705
It's kind of funny because it sums up the mentality of the leftists so well, crusading to speak on behalf of those who can already speak for themselves.

But these days the left has noticed gay men telling them to fuck off and they're starting to revoke their protected victim status.
>>
>>71762472
That bull shit. According to this THR article, Roddenberry always wanted to push the envelope but couldn't even have a white dude kissing a black chick. You really think Roddenberry would dissaprove?
Tekei was closet most of his adult life*
>>
>>71761874
But I thought being gay was biological and nothing to do with environment?
>>
>>71761705
Next we'll have Beyonce getting offended because RiRi has an aro
>>
>>71770806
I agree with your first point. They should of had a conversation with him.
At the same time, it was revealed that Sulu had a daughter but did they mention he had a wife?
>>
>>71762054
Space adoption tho it would be based if like she was the last survivor of an alien world and they just find her and raise her as their own
>>
>>71770823
Anti-Chronotons can affect DNA, I'd imagine the same is true for Chronotons.
>>
I hope Spock points out that same sex couples are illogical.
>>
>>71771202

If they made Zachary Quinto say that...
>>
oh hey look, another /tv/ thread about social media attention whores and identity politics with barely any relation to actual tv or film
thanks mods!
>>
It doesn't matter that Takei found something else to bitch about in the JJ films since gay fans are already creaming themselves over the news. Just quit acting like ti was done as a tribute to him, problem solved.
>>
>>71766447
nor having Shatner's charisma
Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.