[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get into John Carpenter?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
How do I get into John Carpenter?
>>
The Thing is his only truly great film and not just above average genre fare overhyped by his cult fans
>>
>>71760125
OP don't do what this anon says. He's the one who's bought into the cult-hype. The Thing is a cool movie but probably the single most overrated thing on /tv/. Go chronologically, even the smaller movies that sound weird are pretty great. Nobody ever talks about Dark Star or Prince of Darkness but they're great stuff.
>>
Watch his movies
>>
In the Mouth of Madness, Big Trouble in Little China will brighten your day. They're campy and hilarious as shit.

Carpenter is one of the few directors that can due a tense horror movie and a dumb last-action-hero type comedy well.
>>
>>71760254
watching dark star now, its good but I wish the whole sequence with the Ball had been a little different the best parts are the interactions between the crew it would have been better if someone had joined in on trying to capture the Ball thing, also the sound editing is bizarre for a carpenter film waaaay more then any of the others
>>
>>71760355
Do the crew interactions and alien chase remind you of anything? Look up Dan O'Bannon. Wait a second
>watching Dark Star now
do you post on /tv/ while watching movies?
>>
File: big trouble in little china.jpg (1 MB, 1000x1426) Image search: [Google]
big trouble in little china.jpg
1 MB, 1000x1426
perfect parody and arguably the greatest action/comedy of all time

seriously, find a flaw
>>
>>71759942
Feed him a hair-pie
>>
>>71759942
Through his anus
>>
>>71760373
ah sry watched it last night, but yes sometimes I do, yea I get its a parody of alien also 2001 which I love, but really that scene goes on too long, the stoned out interactions are the highlight, I just wish that weird sound editing during conversations was fixed
>>
Start with Halloween.
>>
>>71760630
no start with they live, seriously halloween for first carpenter? so wrong
>>
>>71760402
A lot of the supernatural scenes, like the storm ninjas and the creepy pale cult leader dude, gave me some spooks as a kid.
>>
>>71760664
Not only is it one of his best movies, but it's the one film of his that is the most a classic, so if you don't like his style and end up not watching any of his other stuff, at least you've seen his most important work.
>>
>>71760583
but did you like it?
>>
>>71760722
it doesn't show any of his quirky side, he's odd and his films are odd, they live demonstrates this perfectly holloween does not, its a great 2nd to watch tho
>>
>>71760730
I already said I did, the sound is funky in a bad way tho
>>
>>71760583
>a parody of Alien
check again, don't need to see the movie, just check when they were made
>>
>>71760754
I think the lack of quirks actually works in its favor, especially to someone new to his style. It's got all of his trademarks, the minimalist music and cinematography, the slow pace and focus on atmosphere, but it wraps them up in a nice streamlined story that's accessible to a general audience. There's a reason why it was his most successful film and the one that got him known to a wide audience and made him a household name of horror.
>>
>>71760929
I'm finding it difficult to respond to this, maybe your b8, maybe just a pleb, not sure but like the other anon said just look up dan o'bannon, or not ur probably pleb
>>
>>71760999
yea thats my point, they live will prepare ppl for what their getting into if you want to go through carpenters catalog, holloween is a better flick, they live encapsulates carpenter, its about approach your trying to bring in plebs, I can't be bothered.
>>
Halloween is the worst horror movie ever made. It destroys any potential tension or suspense it has at every opportunity it gets by constantly showing the killer, it has worse dialogue than Evil Dead 1 (the only good ED movie and only good Raimi movie btw), and its actual plot is beyond stupid. Dr. Buttfuck waits in front of a house for 10 hours. Anyway, it does have one genuinely great moment, toward the end when Michael's mask gets ripped off and he frantically pulls it back on because without the mask he is nothing, he has no identity except as a killer. Other than that, literal bottom of the garbage pail dogpuke trash film.

Anyway, The Thing, They Live, BTiLC, and Precinct 13 vary from great to good. Escape from NY is alright. Haven't seen the rest except for Dark Star (just shy of good), don't really care for him
>>
>>71761201
Son... O'Bannon did Dark Star 5 years before he wrote Alien. He based Alien on a small segment in Dark Star that was a joke there but he turned it serious.
>>
>>71761373
yes child that was my point but ok be a butthurt fag if u want
>>
File: gmars.jpg (20 KB, 214x317) Image search: [Google]
gmars.jpg
20 KB, 214x317
Watch this if you don't love it just stop trying.
>>
>>71761554
the tide is rising

such fucking stupid fun
>>
>>71761620

Facing ISIS like vampire aliens in Mars, not many things can be that fun.
>>
>>71761809
re-downloading once again, damn this tarded shit is fun, might get species while i'm at it
>>
>>71760402
A lot of the action is shit and vague? As in the bad guys are sometimes omnipotent and other times they get their ass kicked for no real reason
>>
>>71761995
that's part of the point. reminder, its a parody.
>>
>>71762360
Is it though? Carpenter thought it was legit though, and the original script was 100% serious until it got rewritten.
>>
>>71759942
>How do I get into John Carpenter?

Start with assault on precinct 13, in honour of the slain dallas cops
>>
>>71761554
>>71761620
>>71761809
It's shit but I could never hate it.

I wish John Carpenter had used the same budget and resources to make a Resident Evil movie.
>>
File: 1467356740257.png (492 KB, 680x581) Image search: [Google]
1467356740257.png
492 KB, 680x581
>>71762551
>John Carpenter directed RE movie
>>
>>71762475

It is. Carpenter always intended to make Jack be the loudmouth with delusions of grandeur and had to fight for the comedy because the studio didn't get it and wanted a stereotypical action movie.
>>
>>71759942
>Don't have shit taste
>Watch John Carpenter movies
BOOM.

You're into John Carpenter.
>>
>in b4 a fag mentions Big Trouble In Little China and 20 autists reply to him saying "did you know Kurt Russel wasn't the main character" as if everyone didn't fucking know this already.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.