[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anybody else find they're more disturbed by that O
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: omahabeach.jpg (48 KB, 600x325) Image search: [Google]
omahabeach.jpg
48 KB, 600x325
Does anybody else find they're more disturbed by that Omaha Beach scene in Saving Private Ryan the older they get? I remember seeing it when I was like 10 or so when it came out and thinking it was violent, but nbd. When I try watching it today- I mean Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT3q8tba_lw
>>
well when you're 10 you think wow that's what daddy had to go through in the war but when you're 25 you realize that's you and your friends being depicted
>>
i feel like it wasnt as bad as hollywood likes to depict it. like yeah a lot of dudes died, but not that bad. just watch videos of it. theyre like lightly jogging up the beach.
>>
>>71754638
I dont doubt you, but who was recording videos? Back then you needed some heavy equipment for that and its weird to think of some Nazi defenders just standing around taking a video during a surprise attack
>>
>>71754638

>wasn't as bad as hollywood likes to depict it

It was worse.
>>
>>71754638
Most of those films are from other beaches where there was a lot less resistance. I don't know that there's any footage of the first wave on Omaha.
>>
I can't say that it's gotten less effective the older I've become, but I saw this when I was very young and as cliche as it sounds it really opened my eyes to the realities of war. I'd never seen anything like all the soldiers getting mowed down before they could even step off the boat, or the men who jumped into the water and drowned before making it onto the beach
>>
>>71754911
thats true i guess. but why would they have cameras at some beaches and not omaha? they didnt know what the resistance would be like right? unless the ones at omaha got killed, which is plausible i guess.
>>
>>71754568
Disturbed isn't the right word for it, imo.

It's more like appreciation for me. I have long maintained that SPR is the best depiction of ground warfare on film because that opening scene does the best job I've ever seen of driving home how much battle embodies chaos. Who lives, who dies, it's entirely luck of the draw. If someone in a crow's nest with a mounted machine just so happens to pick your boat versus the one next to, if you happen to be standing towards the front of the boat when the bay doors drop, you never even had a fucking chance. All your training and weaponry meant nothing.

Maybe you're one of the lucky few who makes it off the boat. But whether you simply die five seconds later by drowning under the weight of your gear, or survive the myriad other ways to die on the 100 yard journey up the beach and actually make it to something even resembling safety is entirely the luck of the draw.

Maybe you live, maybe you die. Whatever happens just happens with no real rhyme or reason to it. The scene is brilliant because it's like nihilism embodied. That's what I see in it whenever I revisit it these day.
>>
>>71754638
2000 dudes got blown up in a couple miles of beach front

thats pretty bad

they look like they're jogging but thats all they could do with out much gear they were carrying+it being all soaking wet which adds a ton of weight
>>
>>71754982
Anyone who looked at the topography of the beaches knew Omaha was going to be the worst.

Most of them are fairly flat, maybe with a sand berm or a village up the beach, but Omaha lead straight into fortified hills that are, at points, pretty damn steep.
>>
>>71755246
A caveat: Utah also had some hills, as it is adjacent to Omaha, but a lot of the Utah landings went off course and landed at a less difficult area.

>We’ll start the war from right here!
>56-year-old General Teddy Roosevelt Jr on learning his unit drifted off course
>>
>>71754609
Nah when ibwas 10 seeing that dude get hisbarm bitten off In deep blue sea fucked my shit up

I was way more aensitive to violence when I was little... still its not like I'm an edge lorde today either
>>
>>71754638
If you were competent, you'd notice the entirely different perspectives in OP's link, where to the Germans it was indeed a relatively calm landing most of the time. Then on the beach there's about zero cover and you're taking machine gun and artillery fire.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFFlHFgYmpU

this shit was worse than the beach landing
>>
I hate that the more I watch it the more I notice errors:

- the obstacles being on the wrong position at first then corrected when the landing ends
-the paratroopers walking by in the glider scene. You can see the starting point from where the column walks
-Miller throwing live mortar rounds instead of the grenades he has hanging on his belt.
-Mellish having his rifle jammed but then it shoots a bit later killing a german.
>>
>>71757479
Why the fuck they tried to take that nest? What the fuck was wade doing assaulting the mg nest?
>>
>That guy who screams for his mother

you know this happens a lot more than people like to talk about IRL
>>
>>71755017
Well put
>>
>>71757703
>Miller throwing live mortar rounds instead of the grenades he has hanging on his belt.

It's like using strike-on-box matches before strike-anywhere matches. If the box gets lost or damaged, you have no way to light your matches. Similarly, the goal was to use the mortar rounds while they were there and ready to use instead of using up precious grenades that can be used any time without trouble.
>>
>>71757802
Well now I feel dumb. T-thanks.
>>
>>71756667
dumb phoneposter couldn't even get quads
>>
File: 1465947524371.gif (2 MB, 275x275) Image search: [Google]
1465947524371.gif
2 MB, 275x275
>This is the best plan Churchill and Eisenhower could come up with
>Eisenhower was awarded the U.S. presidency
>For this
>>
>>71757878
They did pretty well.

If you take for example the battle for Crimea in 41-42, on one ocasion the germans lost like 8,000 soldiers when fighting the relief effort on the kerch peninsula but it was considered a success because they captured or killed like 120,000 russians. Normandy was more important strategically and they captured it in a few hours losing a few thousands soldiers.
>>
>>71754568

its not even true. out of 100k people only 3k died. it wasnt that horrific

just jew propaganda
>>
>>71757878

The war had been going for four and a half years at that point and his plan ended it within twelve months.

So yeah, it was a good plan.
>>
>>71754911
>>71754982

The only images we have from 1st wave of omaha are 8 pictures from this journalist who landed with them because the rest of the pics from his roll were over exposed by his pleb as fuck apprentice who was so excited to develop the roll he fucked most of them up
>>
Was it worse having to storm the beaches or having to drop into Normandy?
>>
>>71754680
/his/ here. All of the landing footage was lost. They had cameras mounted on the landing ships.
>>
File: Tyrants.jpg (97 KB, 674x429) Image search: [Google]
Tyrants.jpg
97 KB, 674x429
Who was more insane?
>>
File: sadcat.png (785 KB, 699x562) Image search: [Google]
sadcat.png
785 KB, 699x562
>>71757781
>Momma! Momma!
>>
>>71758362

churchill. there was literally no reason for the UK to fight germany because they went in to poland.

just should have let them fight bolshevik russia to death
>>
File: Omaha beach.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Omaha beach.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>71754638
The film version is a whole lot more gruesome compared to actual footage
>>
>>71758455
Stop memeing.
>>
>>71758437
Nobody ever gives a shit that Britain and France declared war on Germany because it invaded Poland, however nobody gave a fuck about the USSR invading Poland
>>
>>71758437
Not to mention he pretty much escalated the Cold War to a point that there was no going back from. It is very likely that it would have been a much less terrifying standoff if he had just kept his damn mouth shut.
>>
>>71754568
This was the very first gory scene I ever saw as a kid. It terrified me so much to see someone's face like that because all the movies i saw beforehand had friendly violence (Roger Moore James Bond etc) but yeah this was entirely different.
>>
You know I loved Privates Ryan of course, but it was so stylisticly shot and really lacked depth and belivability to the plot, although it had that romantic nature to it. There really is nothing about the characters to like though and seems liek it was mostly visiually written. thats the thing about hollywood you cant have great fighting shots with a rich story. Fury road is a recent example.
>>
>>71757878

yeah man why didnt they just smart drone hitler and be done with it?

people in the 50s were dumb
>>
>>71758362
>Harry "Sear the Slant" Truman
>Harry "Nagasak-it-to-me" Truman
>Harry "One's Not Enough" Truman
>Harry "Turning the Yellow to Jello" Tuman
>>
I saw this in theaters when I was maybe seventeen. My girlfriend's dad took us to see it. But it seems like even when I see it nowadays it seems way more fucked up than when I saw it back in the day.
>>
File: heeeeeeeee.jpg (25 KB, 261x284) Image search: [Google]
heeeeeeeee.jpg
25 KB, 261x284
>>71758595

>"Nagasak-it-to-me

Jesus christ, anon
>>
>>71758473
>however nobody gave a fuck about the USSR invading Poland

After the war UK even gave USSR poland. there was no point to the war
>>
Not to be an armchair general, but were there any efforts to suppress the bunkers with small arms fire as the troops moved up the beach? Surely several dozen M1's being fired at the MG teams at once would be enough to keep them down.

I guess most of the casualties were taken from artillery anyway.
>>
>tfw hitler just loved his people and jews controlled england, the US and international banks and the press
>>
>>71758620
>I guess most of the casualties were taken from artillery anyway.

theres a claim that about 90% of the casualties came from 1 german gunner
>>
>>71758620
Most of the casualties in any normal war (as in the kind where both sides have comparable weapons and numbers) the majority of casualties are from artillery. A single shell can kill a whole battalion if it lands in the right spot.
>>
>>71758620
Hitting a small slit that is above you while under fire to try to accurately hit the gunner who is in the shadows is very hard anon.
>>
>>71758659

German mg gunner?
>>
>>71758672
Yeah, allegedly he had a position down closer to or on the beach itself and shot into the sides of the allied troops while they were occupied with the cliff bunkers.
>>
>>71758755

Well on one hand he was shooting americans, so fuck him, on the other hand, that's some impressive shooting.
>>
>>71757878
>This is the best plan Churchill and Eisenhower could come up with
>Churchill

kek, Churchill was hellbent on the Allies invading via the Balkans

He might be the only person that learned nothing from the Gallipolli debacle
>>
>>71758768
It's not all that impressive when you have an MG42. As long as you have a secure position, enough ammunition, and spare barrels, you can perform some industrial-scale murder. The most difficult part would be ending another human being, but that was obviously not too difficult for that guy.
>>
>>71758823
Chruchill was a nutcase that is only "loved" because his country won WW2 despite having the most ludicrous ideas and plans.
>>
>>71758861
Yeah, not to be an edgy /pol/ack contrarian but he made some pretty fucking retarded decisions
>>
>>71754568
I wasn't really bothered by any of the violence in SPR, I think I'm more amused or interested in the technical logistics involved when it comes to movies with overt or exaggerated displays of violence, seeing a man fall down and not knowing what happened to him is much more disturbing to me, it's the pre-80's war movies that really fuck me up.
>>
I cry a lot more at shit now than I did when I was 10. Does that count?
>>
>>71758617
Mmm yeah piss off a country that has been rolling out tanks and planes like no one else because they have that fucking Giant city behind the Urals just churning them out day and night.
There was no possible way for the USSR not to fucking claim most of Eastern Europe after the war
>>
>>71759001

Shut up faggot
>>
>>71759001
>"Well actually we were just mad that the Hun bastards invaded Poland, Stalin's a bro" - Churchill, 1945
>>
>>71759001
Patton wanted to just ride the train all the way to Moscow immediately after the war. Honestly the USSR may have done most of the heavy lifting in WW2 but had the US not gotten involved (kinda hard not to considering Pear Harbor happened) the USSR would have steam rolled the rest of Europe with its endless supply of manpower and massive armament production.
>>
>>71759302
>but had the US not gotten involved (kinda hard not to considering Pear Harbor happened)

FDR met with Churchill in 1940 to assure him that his government was doing everything it could to enter the war.

If Pearl Harbour hadn't happened the US would've found another excuse to enter the war
>>
>>71759302
And Russia never would have been able to be as successful as it was without American lend-lease. You think we'll keep sending them millions of dollars and free planes, vehicles, ammunition, guns and more as soon as they invade Western Europe?
>>
>>71759302
Russia was only able to do what they did because the Americans were funding them the whole time. If it weren't for US money, the Germans would've taken Russia.
>>
>>71758595
>Harry "I forgot to dismantle Roosevelt's military-industrial complex post war" Truman
>>
>>71754568
im much more desensitized now. You might just be a big dumb pussy if your brain doesnt depict it as a set and props
>>
>>71758861
>Sacrafice entire British Empire for victory over the Germans
G-Great plan Churchill-san
>>
>>71759302
Without US aid, Germany would have smashed Russia and their shithouse military.
>>
>Not available in your country
Suck a fucking cock, Paramount.
>>
>>71755118
Also walking/running in deep sand is hell.
>>
>>71754568
Truly, this movie fucking sucks balls all around
>>
>>71757878
>complaining about not being more efficient in the largest conflict the world had ever seen
>>
>>71758437
Youre a fucking idiot. Churchill was the only reason the UK didnt join the nazis in the first place
>>
>>71759302
>had the US not gotten involved the USSR would have steamrolled the rest of europe

Kind of "NO" since Russia was on the brink of collapsing even with US help
>>
File: slav kid.jpg (93 KB, 525x700) Image search: [Google]
slav kid.jpg
93 KB, 525x700
>>71759350
>>71759378
>>71759492
>>71761268

Why don't you check the amoount of this "legendary" suplly. You're talking like USSR, the cunt with endless resourses, need LL that much.
>>
>>71761221
>save the world
>shithead millenials who have literally done nothing with their lives criticize you on a website

We live in dark times indeed
>>
File: pepe.jpg (7 KB, 250x238) Image search: [Google]
pepe.jpg
7 KB, 250x238
>Grandparent's generation had to deal with WWII
>Parents generation lives in age of small conflicts but blinding speed technological advancement and prosperity where it's almost difficult not to become rich if you live in a 1st world country
>Our generation has to deal with WWIII
>>
>>71765520
>Our generation has to deal with WWIII
You type from your mobile smartphone on the biggest communication system in history, while speculating about something which will most probably not ever happen. See Baudrilard for reference.
Surely you are jesting.
>>
File: 1466770127353.jpg (103 KB, 656x652) Image search: [Google]
1466770127353.jpg
103 KB, 656x652
>>71755415
>>We’ll start the war from right here!
>start the war
Americans ...
>>
>>71754568
Just imagine knowing that you are so expendable that the plan is to get so many of you in there that the enemy can't keep with killing. Surviving this kind of shit is pure luck.
>>
>>71758455
That doesn't look so bad. Just a relatively bad day at the beach.
>>
>>71754568
I've never been affected by it. I watched it the first time when I was 12 and I was like "is this it? This is what they've been hyping up?"
>>
>>71765450
>implying Churchill fought on the right side
>>
>>71757726
Because unattended enemy MG in your flanks is a recipe for disaster. They can dismount it and move it to the better position.
>>
>>71757802
Also mortar round has a waaaay more bigger killzone than hand grenade.
>>
>>71765372
and you say like it would have been bad
>>
File: ngbbs56be9dcc2f461.png (324 KB, 720x566) Image search: [Google]
ngbbs56be9dcc2f461.png
324 KB, 720x566
>>71758455
>That dude getting hit in the chest with 7,92mm Mauser, getting up only to get nailed again

>It's not that bad :^) t. underage on /tv/
>>
I used to think it was amazing but now when I watch it it's got way too much comedic pacing.

>talks to radio guy 2x, on 3rd his face is blown off
>guys helmet deflects a bullet, takes it off end gets headshot
>medic manages to stop a soldier bleeding out, soldier's immediately shot in head

It just feels way too fake or theatrical or something now I'm not sure how best to describe it.
>>
>>71758827
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhOrY88MGbM

It was called "Hitler's Bonesaw".
>>
>>71754568
>nbd
>>
Millions of Brits, Frogs and other irrelevant countries threw millions of their people against the german war machinery, so that in the 21st century they can be bred to nonexistence by niggers and terrorists.
Makes me feel a tad warm inside.
>>
>>71766925
I feel like the sniper thought the guy was suffering and wanted to put him out of his misery.

Which was why he spared the medic and the other soldiers that shot.
>>
>>71766973
Germany is getting cucked too.
>>
I've been in a WW2 mood lately, so I've be watching movies I've never seen before.

The 2 that stood out to me were Go for Broke! (1951) and To Hell and Back (1955).

Both have actual soldiers playing themsleves, but that's not why I liked them. They're just good WW2 movies about the life of the little soldier guys.
>>
>>71767021
nerd
>>
Why didn't they just use the eagles to get past the beach?
>>
>>71766986
I don't think that was what they were going for. I think it was just supposed to be stray fire or something.

Shit maybe it was a sniper but still that type of stuff was all the way through the movie and so now when I watch it I've gotta make sure I watch BoB afterwards.
>>
>>71767076
Better question is, why didn't they use ship cannons to clear the landing zone.
I guess soldiers were cheaper than shells.
>>
>>71767121
you cant clear bunkers that way boyo
>>
>>71754568
I always think about that scene where they show the boat ramp going down and the first dude gets DESTROYED by machine gun fire

Like damn all that build up to get fucking annihilated
>>
>>71767076
Why didn't they just fly to Berlin and drop a bomb on Hitler?
>>
>>71767162
really? some of those cannons were fucking massive
>>
>>71767162
They could have torn up the beach though. Would at least have created some shellholes for the infantry to take cover in, no? I know all the tanks and stuff drowned, but I never heard anything about the lack of bombardment before the invasion.
>>
>>71767269
>They could have torn up the beach though.

>enjoy that uneven shelled terrain guys!
>>
>>71754638
I've heard stories from an old war vet that lives in my village who was at Normandy, and it sounded like complete madness, not a leisurely jog up the sand, at least not where he was. He was piloting one of the landing craft and was expected to go back and forth transporting soldiers with the others, and he says the one thing he was told during briefing was, "for fuck's sake don't get beached". And the first thing he did on the first trip was get stuck. So he's thinking, "oh fuck what do I do now," and decides to climb out to see if he can spot why he's stuck and maybe see a way to get free, and the water is so rough it hits the side and knocks him into the water, and then notices another landing craft that's unloading troops is drifting towards him and there's no way he can climb back up into the cockpit. Then an officer appears and asks him what the fuck he's doing in the sea, to which he replies, "I think I'm about to die, sir". So the officer tells him if he's going to die he can do it on the beach with the others, and tells him to get to land. As soon as he gets to dry land he's walking around looking at his craft desperately thinking what to do, and suddenly gets tackled to the ground by another British soldier, and he realises one of his arms is on fire and this guy is trying to put it out, which he does before shouting, "I've got to go" and disappears up the beach. All this is going on with constant gunfire, explosions and the whizz of bullets flying past his head.
>>
File: 1436290209129.jpg (70 KB, 947x706) Image search: [Google]
1436290209129.jpg
70 KB, 947x706
>>71767510

shit mane
>>
>>71754568
Why did they land right where the germans had hardened defenses? There's no way they had the entire coast lined with concrete bunkers. They wasted thousands of lives. Dumb fucking idiots. Why didn't they run special forces onto the beach up the coast a little in the middle of the night then sneak attack the german positions?
>>
>>71754568
I saw it when I was 10 and can still remember feeling pretty shaken up going to bed. The older I get seeing it makes it sink in a little more but I do remember feeling really sad that my dad could theoretically be put in a situation like that.
I showed it to my gf and she didn't want to watch it after the beach scene, which is understandable, she's a really innocent and kind person who will do things like stop her car to take care of a stray dog, maybe it's not a good idea to show her shit like this.
>>
>>71757781
>that guy holding his intestines.

That was disturbing.
>>
>>71757781
Remember that scene and the medic scene upsetting my mother alot.
>>
>>71767510
>. As soon as he gets to dry land he's walking around looking at his craft desperately thinking what to do, and suddenly gets tackled to the ground by another British soldier, and he realises one of his arms is on fire and this guy is trying to put it out, which he does before shouting, "I've got to go" and disappears up the beach.

Crazy shit that Brit guy had some brass ones.
>>
Don't think that I'm a self-hating faggot but I don't feel sad that our people died there. Seeing how the world has turned out later makes me wish we had joined the nazis instead of fighting them. Our own fucking soldiers wasted their life away fighting for their country and yet we went to shit. Way to go, 'Merica, can't wait till I'm leaving this shithole.
>>
>>71767510
Fuck
>>
>>71767657
They fucked up the naval bombardment and they had hard winds blowing them eastward and rough water that sank most of their vehicle support, there was also shit visibility so they couldn't see where they were heading until it was too late to back out.
>>
I hope white people become extinct soon
>>
>>71767697
your gf sounds like a piece of fucking glass, it's a movie for fuck sake is she a child?
>>
>>71767798

I know people sometimes say it as a joke but please fucking kill yourself faggot. The US would be better off without you.
>>
>>71767798

>self-hating American

Go back to /pol/ faggot
>>
>>71767798
>wish we had joined the nazis instead of fighting them
Go outside. You've spent too long on 4chan
>>
>>71767836
>>71767863

I'm not a self-hating American, I just hate how our country turned out.

>>71767864

I will later, so I can see more trannies, fat tumblr bitches, more dindus and other trash. What a world we live in.
>>
>>71754568
Saw this shit when I was like 6 because my mom wanted to get some dick that night (actually, she was probably more interested in the money that comes with the dick) and couldn't get a babysitter

Next day of school, during show and tell, I start going on about how awesome it was seeing all these dudes getting blown away in ways my 6 year old mind couldn't even have begun to fathom until seeing the film

Fuck I wish I could go back to see the look on that poor teacher's face
>>
>>71767834
She wasn't crying or anything just didn't want to watch any more of it.
>>
>>71767798
ye fuck merrica disregard the quality of living that this country provided for your fag ass to the point where you're just comfortably whining about it on 4chan
>>
>>71767895
>I can see more trannies, fat tumblr bitches

Your stormtard mind definitely hasn't spent much time outside
>>
>>71767895
>I will later, so I can see more trannies, fat tumblr bitches, more dindus and other trash. What a world we live in.

I'd rather be one of them than the fat sperg who sits at home all day feeling superior. Go to the gym and find a girlfriend. You'll be much happier for it
>>
>>71767898
My wife is a kindergarten teacher, I'm sure it didn't phase her.. kids say/do the craziest shit all the time.

You guys should read Donald Burgett's books, they are a great first person perspective on some of the big battles.
>>
File: 586433229.jpg (68 KB, 333x230) Image search: [Google]
586433229.jpg
68 KB, 333x230
Feel like it's probably a good antidote for feminist hystorical male privilege shit.
>your daughter comes home spouting any of that shit
>here honey were having a movie night, you like Spielberg right?
>>
>>71767510
I knew a British soldier that was there. He said that the first rows of people were killed straight away so the rest piled over the side. The water was so cold and their packs so heavy, many of them just drowned in the water. He abandoned his pack and as he made his way up the beach people were screaming for God an their mothers, he saw men holding their intestines or limbs. They dropped like flies.

He wasn't even on the worst beach.

Someone post the memoir of the German solder on the Eastern Front during WW1 and the story of the gas mask.
>>
>>71758659
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinrich_Severloh

Is this the guy you're talking about?
>>
>>71768068
LMFAO
>>
>>71768068
Be grateful you were born on the only era of human history where men aren't conscripted to die in battles like those.
>>
>>71754568
As a kid I was shocked at how brutal it was but I guarantee it was much worse. Now it still makes my stomach churn but what really got me was the way the German killed the jew. That was some fucked up shit.
>>
File: 1464186979183.jpg (429 KB, 1920x1021) Image search: [Google]
1464186979183.jpg
429 KB, 1920x1021
>>71755017
Hate on GoT all you want but the Battle of the Bastards tracking shot with Jon Snow in the thick of the shit gave me the exact same vibe.

My GF asked in the middle of the horses colliding, the arrows raining down and the soldiers trying to stab you- "how do you concentrate?"

Best I could come up with is "You don't. You can't take the time to fathom the number of ways you're about to die because fear will make you lock up. You focus on your objective and push towards it. Kill anyone in your way and move on to the next."
>>
>>71768068
jesus christ
>>
>>71768226
even more fucked up is the russians serial killer type slaughtering german women afterwards
>>
>>71768236
From a story perspective, I didn't like that episode at all. But there's no denying that the spectacle of that fight was phenomenal. They really captured the frantic insanity of what (I can only assume) a fight like that would have been like.

I don't think it was quite as good as Saving Private Ryan but it's definitely in the conversation.
>>
>>71768236
Yeah that scene was pretty horrific, being boxed in like that to be slaughtered, the crush of soldiers isn't seen that often in films, maybe because from a health and safety standpoint it's too far too easy to become too realistic if you know what I mean.
>>
>>71768236
>>71768236
"...and hope the server doesn't kick you."
>>
File: lolohoax.png (154 KB, 436x264) Image search: [Google]
lolohoax.png
154 KB, 436x264
>>71754568
>>71754568
>>71754568
How did he know about the holocaust before it was even known?

How did he know about it before jews were actually sent to death camps?
>>
>>71768336
When did he ever mention the holocaust?
>>
>>71768336
>what are relations in germany?
>>
My grandfather was on Sword Beach, he had just hopped off the boat and was running forward and a round hit him in the metal lighter he kept in his breast pocket.

You might think "gee, what a stroke of luck", but the round ricocheted up into his throat and blew the back of his head out.

Just the same really, it could have ricocheted down and blew his bollocks off, now THAT would have been bad.
>>
>>71768401
I know that sense of humor anywhere. Brit?
>>
>>71768308
huh?
>>
>>71768442
Of course, his grandpappy was on sword lighting his pipe when gerry panged his bobbin.
>>
>>71768284
You're right, I only brought it up because it was that same feeling of hopelessness I had not felt since SPR or even Gladiator.

What even goes through your mind as you're facing almost certain death circling around you?
>>
File: 1466731239068.jpg (203 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
1466731239068.jpg
203 KB, 500x499
>Be combat medic.
>Never see anything besides sprained ankles and soldiers faking sick to get out of chores.
>Be Street EMT
>First week I get called to a car crash when a guy got hit by a car doing 70 and his blood covered a whole section of highway both lanes.
>This average sized 18 year old look liked he lost enough blood to kill me over twice.
>He was calm the entire time and didn't even break a sweat.
he started screaming when they put a chest tube in him at the hospital.
It's unreal how people react to messed up situations.
>>
File: normandy-invasion-27-638.jpg (94 KB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
normandy-invasion-27-638.jpg
94 KB, 638x479
When Private Ryan was first coming to theaters they did advanced screenings for veterans who made the landing.

Here in canada they screened them for the Canadian legion and a lot of Juno beach veterans live in my community, so their comments made the local paper.

Most commented on the obvious flaws (the anti-tank craft poles were backwards) but otherwise claim it was probably the only film to date that captured the emotions and intensity of that landing. The first person shots on the beach were praised in particular.

Based on the feedback from the test screenings, my theater added a warning before the film started for any veterans who might be emotionally overwhelmed and they gave a phone number for a support hotline set up by the Canadian Legion. This was the first time I ever saw a "trigger warning" in real life.
>>
>>71768596
I think it's probably the only time a trigger warning is actually needed.

It wasn't some ''someone called me fat or skinny'' situation. It was seeing your best friend get shot in the face,etc.
>>
File: Bad-war.jpg (1 MB, 1409x920) Image search: [Google]
Bad-war.jpg
1 MB, 1409x920
>>71768284
>They really captured the frantic insanity of what (I can only assume) a fight like that would have been like.

But nobody really fought that way.

Okay, they did, but it was a little bit different:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_of_pike

Italians who hired swiss pikemen for their petty little feudal wars called it "Bad War" when they first time witnessed it, because it shed away all of their illusions about the romance of warfare.
>>
>>71768596
I almost forgot that trigger warnings are genuine things.
Goddamn I fucking hate Tumblr.
>>
>>71754638
>lefty once again tries to undermine the Military
No surprise.
>>
File: SPR11.gif (108 KB, 574x317) Image search: [Google]
SPR11.gif
108 KB, 574x317
>>71768661

The scene that actually got to most veterans was the opening that takes place in current time at the cemetary.

Old Private Ryan is walking through the Normandy cemetery and sees a name on a grave marker and it causes him to stagger and fall to his knees. I was there opening night and an old man was sobbing in the audience and we were only 2 minutes into the film.
>>
File: 1466346353506.png (358 KB, 1886x718) Image search: [Google]
1466346353506.png
358 KB, 1886x718
>>71768068
Damn son.

War is hell
>>
>>71754638
Cameramen are usually not in the thick of it and tend to be in safer positions, especially back then with the heavy equipment, even nowadays with light camera's, combat footage from cameramen and not head mounted camera's isn't well shot for obvious reasons.
>>
>>71754568
Yeah, as you grow up I find that you become less edgy and more able to emphasise with people.
>>
>>71768596
I remember this one story about Juno Beach, this one guy wanted a cigarette, the only problem was that his lower jaw had been blown off.
>>
>>71768926
fuck
>>
>>71766945
"Hitlers BUZZsaw"
Because it makes a sound like a buzzsaw. Why would it be called a bonesaw? Also they fired so fast and the barrels had heating issues, so they had to constantly rotate between two or three barrels to prevent them from being damaged/slagging from the intense heat.
>>
>>71769004
>Why would it be called a bonesaw?
>Also they fired so fast

because vertical swipe could cut a man in half.
>>
Worst part in war is that 90% of those guys don't even want to be there, and that's true for both sides. They could all literally say fuck it at the same time and go home without anyone dying. But somehow they are made to fight and die for someone else's ideas.
>>
The American VA also had a hotline set up for private Ryan, and they had staff attending some of the early screenigns to offer support.

>``It struck me at the very beginning of the movie when I saw some soldiers behind a little sand mound,'' said Patrick, of Northeast Philadelphia. ``I was there at that mound. It saved my life.''

>Also like Davis, Patrick began crying.

>``During the movie, I was lying there on the beach hoping I wouldn't get shot or killed,'' he said. ``I was in the theater, but mentally I was on the beach with that little mound of sand.''

>Warren Rangnow, 76, assured a concerned friend that the movie would not bother him. ``But man,'' he said, it ``hit me like an artillery shell in the belly.''

>Even though the film had no smell, it brought one vividly - too vividly - to his mind.

>``There was always the smell of death,'' said Rangnow, of Cheltenham, Montgomery County. ``There were a lot of dead soldiers, and one of the worse smells were the dead cows. That whole ordeal came back to me: the fear, the smells, the anguish of losing close buddies. It was hard to sit through it.''

>One of his good friends, William Levis, was killed at Normandy, and in 1994, Rangnow went back, to a cemetery above the beach. Finding his buddy's grave, he saluted and placed a small bouquet on it.

>``It was almost the same way the movie began and ended,'' Rangnow said, ``and that's what really knocked me for a loop. . . . It's the only movie I've ever gone to when, after the show, people just got up and left and said not a word to anyone.''

>Some VA counselors have found themselves tending to the rattled psyches of combat veterans in theater lobbies.

>VA spokesman Kenneth McKinnon recalled an incident just after the movie opened in which a department employee went to see Private Ryan and wound up sitting near two men who were obviously distressed.
>>
>>71758293
Beaches by far. Much higher casualty rate.
>>
>>71769185
This is from a generation who would keep their feelings to themselves as much as possible, so if seeing a film about the events 50 years later made them publicly upset you know they went through absolute hell.
>>
A few years ago they made this "Apocalypse" documentary in France, coloring footage from the time of war.
I remember they got some shit because journalists specialized in interviewing vets said they "sanitized" it, as they coloured the water blue when it was apparently red on the whole shore.
>>
>>71768376
>>71768380
Persecution of jews in Germany was well known before and during the war, it wasn't exactly a fucking secret. Refugees fled to other European countries, many of which became occupied by the Germans and deported the jews there back to Germany and Poland.

The entire party was heavily involved with anti-antisemitism from the get-go.
>>
>>71768944

Speaking of cameramen in EB Sledge's the old breed one of their vehicles loaded down with ammo got knocked out of commission and the ammo set alight and was minutes if not seconds from exploding, everyone hit the deck waiting except from a rear echelon fucktard with a camera.

Sledge tells the guy to get down but he ignore his, right before the ammo explodes and knocks camera guy off his feet and flat on his back.

Sledge leans over and says "Told ya."
>>
File: 1442686346008.jpg (6 KB, 237x233) Image search: [Google]
1442686346008.jpg
6 KB, 237x233
>>71768924
>World War 2 veterans will die in your lifetime.
>>
>>71769414

Everyone of ours already almost has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEO6xW0q1rY
>>
File: 1353788391156.jpg (375 KB, 1024x1525) Image search: [Google]
1353788391156.jpg
375 KB, 1024x1525
>>71769470
Hold me Finnbro
>>
My grandfather (he fought in the Pacific) left the theater after a few minutes because it was "too realistic."
>>
File: 1367414953638.jpg (129 KB, 500x622) Image search: [Google]
1367414953638.jpg
129 KB, 500x622
>>71769185
>`They told her they couldn't watch that long Omaha Beach scene at the beginning,'' McKinnon said. ``She took them into the lobby and told them they didn't have to watch it. After they talked awhile, they decided not to see the movie.''

>Dr. Kenneth Reinhard, a clinical psychologist specializing in post-traumatic stress disorder at the VA's medical center in Montrose, N.Y., said he saw the movie recently and, when it was over, also found two distraught men, their eyes puffy and teary, just outside the door.

>``I asked them if they were World War II vets and they started crying again,'' said Reinhard. After introducing himself, he listened to one of them ``talk about his own guilt and that he didn't know why he survived and others didn't, and I did some triage work in the lobby.''
>>
File: AzZMGph.png (55 KB, 528x1525) Image search: [Google]
AzZMGph.png
55 KB, 528x1525
>>71769526
I would if it was socially acceptable.
>>
File: 1463752272767.png (2 MB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
1463752272767.png
2 MB, 1920x1040
>>71768068
You. I like you.
>>
>>71769705
Eh your post is too close to mine.
>>
>>71769687

As fashionable as it is for people to hate on SPR for it's mistakes and lack of realism, the impact it had on veterans has to count for something.
>>
File: smugfu.png (160 KB, 289x290) Image search: [Google]
smugfu.png
160 KB, 289x290
>>71765710
>Just a relatively bad day at the beach
>>
>>71754638
It was as bad as hollywood likes to depict it. However this section of the Omaha Beach was literally the only place that was a complete clustefuck.

Almost everyone else just kind of walked up the beach during their landing, especially as the allies had tricked Germany to send its main force to Lille (where no attack came).
>>
>>71769151

Also weren't those guys poor and the income that they'll receive would help their families?

At least wasn't the vietnam war about this?
>>
>>71765372
>only reason
How about reading a book senpai
>>
Omaha Beach was fucked because of dumb Americans fucking things up like usual.

The Brits and commonwealth forces just wandered in absolutely fine, as was the plan.
>>
File: lel.png (12 KB, 348x271) Image search: [Google]
lel.png
12 KB, 348x271
>IT WAS JUST A PRANK BRO!!
>>
>>71769964
Not even American but the yanks were brave as fuck.
>>
>>71769185
God Bless those old coots. Both my gramps were Marines in WWII (one in Europe, one in Japan), and they never said a word about it.

What a fucking generation.
>>
Hype as fuck for Nolan's WWII movie now Tbh.
>>
>>71769964
I know it's bait and we've been crying about how Normandy was hell for everyone involved but Commonwealth took months to take Caen instead of taking it on the first few days
>>
>tfw I can't relate to this movie as much as British war films

Brit ones give me major feels though. Bridge on the River Kwai, for instance.
>>
>>71770106
what movie?
>>
>>71770128
Dunkirk obviously?
>>
>>71769977

>LOL, IT TOOK EVERYONE OF YOU TO JUST KILL ME XD
>>
>>71758362

wow that guy on the left must have been very brave to win all those medals
>>
>>71770063
You don't hear much about Marines in the ETO. Neat. I had a great uncle who served in the Navy in the Pacific. Sadly, I only saw him once in my whole life since he lived on the other end of the country Also had a sub in my old high school who was a medic in the Bulge. Guy was the nicest man around. Always told his war stories and how cold it was every class he was subbing in.

They're both in better places now ;_;
>>
File: 1467781590505.jpg (87 KB, 699x511) Image search: [Google]
1467781590505.jpg
87 KB, 699x511
>>71770176
>>
>>71767739
It's actually a scene a woman could never understand
>>
I bet it's weird as fuck for veterans to go back to those places now. I'd love to visit Normandy and Iwo Jima some day just to imagine what it was like there at the time.
>>
>>71767798
You have to be 18+ to post
>>
I'm not even trying to be edgy, but I hate Saving Private Ryan.
>>
>>71758827
They weren't designed for that, they were designed to fuck your shit up with fear alone and make everyone shit themselves while the artillery smashed you where you were hiding
>>
>>71770404
Why? It's a great movie.
>>
>>71768336

what was this scene even meant to convey?
>>
>>71768580
>It's unreal how people react to messed up situations.

>>>/wsg/1169625
>>
File: 1466961184424.jpg (21 KB, 211x246) Image search: [Google]
1466961184424.jpg
21 KB, 211x246
>>71758185

>implying the war ended because of America
>>
>>71768336
>I FUCKING HATE JEWS - Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf
>WHAT THE FUCK WHY DOES A JEW THINK JEWS HAVE IT HARD IN GERMANY? - Anon, 2016
Brava
>>
>>71768926
Fuck whoever was the guy who approved gas in warfare.
>>
>>71770632

america was crucial to save western europe from leftist scum

sadly in the aftermath the leftist scum slowly infiltrated the us pretty hard
>>
>>71758362
Truman was from Missouri, which is all you need to know
>>
>>71770688
You don't get to say that when cripple-kun president was totally fine with signing away everything East of the Oder
>>
>>71758362
Tojo because he actually thought he could win when everyone in the IJN (who actually went to international academies and knew the outside world) was telling him it was fucking impossible
>>
>>71758099
100k people didn't land on the same morning; that's how many soldiers entered through the beaches in general. Two of my great grandfathers entered into Normandy but not on D-day. One was even D+12 or something
>>
>>71770668
He was German
>>
>>71754609
Most of them were 18-20 years old. Same with every war. It's always just kids.
>>
>>71770817
French were first to fire though
>>
>>71770750
>That one Japanese General on Iwo Jima who knew it the war was all bullshit and he would die there but he did his damnedest to make sure America would pay a steep price

Fuck now I gotta watch Letters again now
>>
>>71758455
are you saying this one clip captured the whole of the invasion? are you dense?
>>
>>71770851
the average age for American troops was around 27
>>
>>71754638
>wasnt as bad

anon pls it would be several orders of magnitude worse to be there
>>
File: 1463871623417.png (89 KB, 883x990) Image search: [Google]
1463871623417.png
89 KB, 883x990
>>71754568
bud it disturbed me then, and as this site being the way it is, i've seen things you people wouldn't believe, i've seen attack ships on fire near the shoulders of orion, i've watched sea beams glitter near the ten houser gate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QefqJ7YhbWQ

talking shit aside though, although i know it wasn't real, it was horrifying, and to be honest i don't want to ever see it again
>>
>>71770688
I recommend having a good cry about it, anon.
OHWAIT SILLY ME kek
>>
File: tv warrior.jpg (100 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tv warrior.jpg
100 KB, 1280x720
>>71771240
It would of all been different if we was there
callsign: "Shogun"
>>
File: Das Feels.jpg (51 KB, 800x517) Image search: [Google]
Das Feels.jpg
51 KB, 800x517
>>71771480
>I've seen things you people wouldn't believe, SkDfz251's's on fire off the shoulders of the Oktober Factory, I've watched tracer lines glitter near the Tatsinskaya gate, all those moments will be lost in time
>>
>>71771730

What a poof.
>>
Fuuuck! Just give us a fucking chance you son of a bitch!
You son of a fucking cock sucker!
>>
Hol up

Why didn't they use smoke to cover their advance?
>>
>>71771898
Americans can't into tactics unless they're on grass, if there are trees or desert or fucking anything but grass they underperform
>>
>>71771898

Because they need to see where the fuck they're going
>>
>>71771669
*teleports behind pillbox gunner*
Guten tag.......
>>
>>71771898
No way to accurately deliver enough of it to be effective, not to mention the Germans would have still been able to inflict heavy casualties by firing into the smoke indiscriminately in a sweeping motion.
>>
>>71771669
>would of
>>
>>71771898
What do you expect to happen then, the Germans will forget what direction the beach was and stop bombing it?
>>
>>71754638
>i feel like it wasnt as bad as hollywood likes to depict it
says the fat shithead that probably rages and cries if his favorite movie didn't do well at the box office this week. get fucked.

my grandpa was there and said that he had to watch multiple people fucking drown before the other guys figured out to unload their backpacks and gear before jumping into the water to even get to the fucking beach.
>>
>>71772061
>not to mention the Germans would have still been able to inflict heavy casualties by firing into the smoke indiscriminately in a sweeping motion.
Do you think they didn't do this anyway every single time anyone threw down some smoke? You can't accurately kill or suppress the entire assault force if they're under smoke, that's the entire fucking point retard
>>
>>71772180
>He thinks smoke is effective at covering infantry assaults

There's a reason smokescreens are used primarily to cover armor and naval forces.
>>
>>71772180
I liked the part where you ignored his first point and had an autistic outburst of anger.
>>
>>71772240
>He thinks smoke is effective at covering infantry assaults
Where the fuck did you get that idea? All they do is make the enemies fire slightly less effective, which honestly would have been a godsend at Omaha
>>
>>71771898
War isn't a video game holy fucking shit
>>
>>71772180
Life isn't a video game you fucking retard. Wind disperses smoke too much for a smoke grenade to be effective. The canisters used by tanks are either totally useless or too unwieldy to be used by regular soldiers.
>>
>>71772290
>Where the fuck did you get that idea?
From this post actually:
>>71772180
>>
>>71757878
Hey, they didn't botch D-Day up as hard as Operation Husky at least.

>le paratroopers are the weapon of the future what could go wrong xDDD
>>
>>71772290
>where did you get the idea that I though that smoke for infantry assaults was effective? All they do is make them more effective
>>
>>71767834

confirmed for not understanding women
>>
>>71766925
Yeah I have to agree. Even when I watched it originally it kind of broke the feel of the scene. Once probably would have been fine, but the same dark humor so many times?
>>
>>71772345
Which stated smoke is meant to disrupt and not stop enemy fire? Running at fortified positions is always going to get cunts killed, smoke just mitigates the risks
>>71772405
>Can't zero in by sight
>More effective
OK
>>
>>71756667
My first oh god moment came when I picked up some guy's headphones and watched southpark on his computer at a lan party and it was the episode where butters got hit in the eye with a ninja star.

Ya I was a big sissy. I also had nightmares/couldn't sleep for weeks after watching Signs, thinking every car outside was a ufo floating outside my window come to get me.
>>
>>71758455
How come was it colored back in that time?
>>
I rember vets walking out of the cinema about 10 mins in.

Shit was too real
>>
>>71772482

Signs triggered the fuck out of me as a kid\

I lived on a farm that resembled the one from the movie too which didn't help at all
>>
>>71772576

you weren't afraid of going out in the cornfields at night before that movie?
>>
>>71772487
Colored film existed all the way back into the 1910's. It was just expensive and difficult to obtain.

Go watch WWII in HD for a good example of WWII-era color film.
>>
>>71763492
Kek
>>
>>71772597

we didn't have cornfields, but it was big and open and i'd keep "seeing" alien-shaped silhouettes at night in the horse/cow pastures and shit

it was scary before but signs made it nearly unbearable
>>
>>71758455
why did they all run directly at the center? couldn't they just land the boats around the side and run up out of the germans view?
>>
>>71772325
I know you all will make a mockery of this, but here it goes..

I do large scale paintball battles, with hundreds to thousands of people. Large, decent quality (see coast guard style) smoke grenades are super effective for concealing movement. They do disperse fairly fast, and if it's super windy even faster, but they are definitely effective in making it difficult to see/target people.
>>
>>71772708
>the center

the center of what? The Atlantic Wall was was thousands of miles long.
>>
>>71772746
They're good for a very short time. I suppose twenty seconds of concealment would theoretically decrease casualty rates, though it would be to such a negligible degree in relation to the entire operation that command likely decided that it would be irrelevant. They were pragmatic like that.
>>
why dont they make movies like this anymore
>>
>>71772889

>Edge of Tomorrow B-Roll
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.