[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Vertigo end that way? It was very abrupt and also disappointing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: vertigo.jpg (3 MB, 2703x4189) Image search: [Google]
vertigo.jpg
3 MB, 2703x4189
Why did Vertigo end that way? It was very abrupt and also disappointing because I wanted a happy ending.

I don't know if I can watch it again knowing what happens.
>>
I thought it was really abrupt too. Kind of sloppy feeling.
>>
File: sure.jpg (2 KB, 125x115) Image search: [Google]
sure.jpg
2 KB, 125x115
>>71750482
ugh, don't get me started on this film.

>it's a "we made one cool effect so we'll overuse it to the point where it becomes cheap" episode
>>
BUH DUH ENDING
LE ENDING
WAT WAS W/ DA ENDING?????????
ENDING!!!
>>
>>71750795
What effect do you speak of?

It annoyed me firstly that the woman he loved had the unfortunate accident. Thought we got a second chance and then it was stripped from us again. It was just like *scream* then cut to credits like 3 seconds later. That's not an ending. What about his ex-fiance? If you're stripping us of a second chance, at least give us the consolation prize...

James Stewart is one of my favorite actors so I enjoyed most of it.
>>
>>71750482
Because it is over-rated garbage. Try Rear Window for classic Hitch.
>>
>>71750936
anon is referring to the "zoom-out stretchy vertiglmao" effect
>>
>>71751159
They used it like twice
>>
>>71750937
I have seen Rear Window and preferred it. I am considering watching Rope and The Man Who Knew Too much, both of which also star James Steward. Are either of those good?
>>
>>71751466
Rope is pretty good for its gimmick
>>
I hated James Stewart's acting. The plot wasn't that good, and everything in this movie feels really dated. There are older movies with much higher artistic value, and that still hold up to this day. Vertigo is not one of them.
Also, what was the deal with that first girl, Maude? Did she serve any actual purpose?
>>
that fucking plot,starts out promising and then drags on and fucking on
>>
>>71751507
>what was the deal with that first girl, Maude? Did she serve any actual purpose?

Clearly not. Did they have to cut this movie short for some reason? I was expecting romance, she seemed to care for him. Also the cut from him being catatonic to being out of hospital had zero explanation. I didn't know it was after he had recovered at first, I thought he was hallucinating or something.

There were issues with the film that I thought stopped it from being as good as it should have been.

When he first saw the girl again, he was acting creepy as hell.
>>
>>71751545

T H I S
T S
S T
S H I T
>>
>>71750482
Thank God it did. It's one of the few Hitchcock movies that didn't end with a character spoonfeeding everything.
>>
>>71751693
This, it made no sense. He was acting like a total psycho after getting out of the hospital. I also thought he'd seen through her façade earlier, and was pushing her to death from the beginning, but it turned out he was just a weird jerk. If Stewart actually knew how to act, we wouldn't have trouble understanding this bizarre shit. Also, what's with Hitchcock and exposition? Seems like he always needs to explain every single thing going on so that anyone can understand his nonsense ridiculous plots. He was the Nolan of his time, an overrated hack.
>>
>>71752187
>It's one of the few Hitchcock movies that didn't end with a character spoonfeeding everything.

that fucking therapist at the end of Psycho, why did they even need him?
>>
>>71752187
It did, the woman told the murderer's entire plan. It even had a flashback showing how it happened.
>>
Hitchcock's films generally do not hold up.
>>
>>71750482
Almost every Hitchcock movie ends with a happy ending.

A happy ending here would ruin what Hitchcock was trying to do with the audience and the whole Vertigo theme.
>>
>just watched North by Northwest
>that sudden cut from literal cliffhanger to "they fuck, happily ever after"
>no explanation as to what happens to the main villain

Why do so many of Hitchcock's films have such terrible endings?
>>
>>71752239
Yet the ending is still open to interpretation, of why Kim Novak fell off the tower. Unlike Psycho
>>
>>71752187
>>71752239
this
>>
>>71752201
How did you make the c in facade? Also do you mean you thought he was leading her up the tower to push her off at the end? Or do yoh mean the first time round...
>>71752724
I thought she jumped. Wiki says she staggered back after being startled. Are there any other interpretations, and any "official" one?
>>
>it's a Hitchcock thread on /tv/
>full of plebs and retards as usual
:^(
>>
>>71753414
Nice contribution.
>>
File: 1432849498001.png (13 KB, 418x359) Image search: [Google]
1432849498001.png
13 KB, 418x359
North by Northwest is his best film and is great.

Psycho is kind of lame.

Vertigo is really well shot and has that cool animated sequence.
>>
>>71753488
A lamentation is literally better than a thread full of plebs
>>
>>71753217
You mean ç? I have it on my keyboard (pt-br). It's called a cedilla in english, so you can google it if you want to.
And I meant that what motivated him to confront her in the end was seeing that necklace that reminded him of the woman he saw dying, so he made the connection. But I thought he had already realized that beforehand and was slowly making her more like the woman she pretended to be, in order to confront her about it and maybe even murder her.
>>
>>71753636
Better to put forward your point of view of the movie.
>>
>>71750482
Vertigo is pleb filter. sorry, op.

north from northwest or rear window might be more your cup of tea.
>>
Call me pleb all you want this movie fucking blows evem for hitchock this is schlock

Phsycho wss much better so wss the birds
>>
>>71754122
The point isn't about Vertigo only. And to reply to every shit is very tiresome. And not worth it really, plebs outnumber.
>>
>>71754211
You didn't think the ending was too abrupt? You didn't want a happy romance? I don't like leaving a film feeling bad emotions, I don't care that it's powerful... I like that some films end bad so there's suspense in other films, but I don't enjoy bad endings in any movie.
>>
>>71752272
What was he trying to do with the audience?
>>
Vertigo is an incredible film, one of my favorites. But I agree that the ending feels abrupt and kind of unintentionally funny with the nun's terrible acting
>>
>>71750482
Vertigo is overrated. Notorious is Hitchcocks best work.
>>
>>71755399
Thanks for the tip. I heard Lifeboat is good too.
>>
>>71755555
Lifeboat is okay, but just doesn't do it for me. Rear Window has that cozy feeling thing going for it. The chemistry between Stewart and Kelly is amazing.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.