[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CLEAR THE RAMP! THIRTY SECONDS! GOD BE WITH YOU!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8
File: spr.jpg (38 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
spr.jpg
38 KB, 1280x720
CLEAR THE RAMP! THIRTY SECONDS! GOD BE WITH YOU!
>>
*MG-42's intensify*
>>
Omaha Beach was nowhere near that bad.
>>
File: 1387225387216.jpg (105 KB, 566x677) Image search: [Google]
1387225387216.jpg
105 KB, 566x677
>Tfw I have to commit suicide so my family could be safe
>>
File: bubbles.jpg (57 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
bubbles.jpg
57 KB, 640x480
>>71745399
>mfw i saw that scene for the first time.

and it was also the very first R-rated movie I saw, i was barely 12 when my parents took me to see it
>>
>>71746385
It was probably worse, did the movie even show the 88 guns that had the beach presighted? Not to mention that in the movie it only looked like one wave when in reality there were multiple waves.
>>
>be american
>go on boating trip
>get shot
>>
I've been on the Iowa. How is it that naval cannons didn't do shit to the bunkers?
>>
>>71746385
>i know, i was there
>>
>tfw my friend literally had no idea what d-day was before seeing this
>>
>>71746401
Wrong uniform kinda?
>>
>>71746687
I guess targeting technology was bad then? I know that the air bombing wentbad because of the fog and their overshot their bombs.
>>
>>71746401
Rommel was overrated.
>>
>>71745399

Why was Omaha such a disaster compared to all other beach landings?
>>
File: 1467699320793.jpg (18 KB, 258x258) Image search: [Google]
1467699320793.jpg
18 KB, 258x258
>>71745399
I'm ready!
>>
File: Omaha_Beach_American_Casualty.jpg (3 MB, 3226x2480) Image search: [Google]
Omaha_Beach_American_Casualty.jpg
3 MB, 3226x2480
>>71745399
>This scene triggered PTSD on Omaha veterans.
>They said the scene wasn't bad enough. It was the first wave for hours and hours.

Can you imagine being a general and knowingly send thousands of your men to certain death?
Can you imagine being on that boat?
>>
>>71748264

It is so cliched to say war is hell that it doesnt even register as an actual thought when someones says it but every now and then something like this seeps in and you realize that holy...

It's a cliched for a reason. That shit really is hell breaking loose on earth to watch people you got to know and love get systematically mowed down in a matter of seconds and snuffed out like bugs.
>>
File: somme.jpg (59 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
somme.jpg
59 KB, 500x300
>>71748353
Then you remember the World War before that where tactics has yet to catch up to technology and men died by the hundred of thousands in the space of a day in a battle that lasted for weeks for literally nothing.
>>
>>71748467
>within 15 minutes over 1000 men died, and nothing changed in the war except that they needed 1000 more men to try again
Then theres that whole "white feather" thing.
>>
>>71746687
Because bunkers are difficult to hit with indirect, arcing fire, and are specifically designed to withstand such bombardment anyway.

After a destroyer came in close enough to hit the defenses directly, real progress began to be made.
>>
>>71748140
Because their duplex tanks which were supposed to support the landings all sank.
>>
>>71746727

You can't prove he wasn't.
>>
And thus the generic WWII shooter with a D-Day map in every fucking game was born.
>>
>tfw no Saving Private Ryan style film for the battle of Okinawa

http://youtu.be/v3Lbv0K8gCs
>>
>>71745399
Uh, sir, god doesn't exist. Also, I'm not sure I want to follow a man who believes in a magic sky wizard into battle.
>>
File: 4pgpNcN.jpg (63 KB, 480x608) Image search: [Google]
4pgpNcN.jpg
63 KB, 480x608
>>71748910
>>
>ABLE Company riding the tide in seven Higgins boats is still five thousand yards from the beach when first taken under artillery fire. The shells fall short. At one thousand yards, Boat No. 5 is hit dead on and foundered. Six men drown before help arrives. Second Lieutenant Edward Gearing and twenty others paddle around until picked up by naval craft, thereby missing the fight at the shore line. It's their lucky day. The other six boats ride unscathed to within one hundred yards of the shore, where a shell into Boat No. 3 kills two men. Another dozen drown, taking to the water as the boat sinks. That leaves five boats.

>Lieutenant Edward Tidrick in Boat No. 2 cries out: "My God, we're coming in at the right spot, but look at it! No shingle, no wall, no shell holes, no cover. Nothing!"

>His men are at the sides of the boat, straining for a view of the target. They stare but say nothing. At exactly 6:36 A.M. ramps are dropped along the boat line and the men jump off in water anywhere from waist deep to higher than a man's head. This is the signal awaited by the Germans atop the bluff. Already pounded by mortars, the floundering line is instantly swept by crossing machine-gun fires from both ends of the beach.

>Able Company has planned to wade ashore in three files from each boat, center file going first, then flank files peeling off to right and left. The first men out try to do it but are ripped apart before they can make five yards. Even the lightly wounded die by drowning, doomed by the waterlogging of their overloaded packs. From Boat No. 1, all hands jump off in water over their heads. Most of them are carried down. Ten or so survivors get around the boat and clutch at its sides in an attempt to stay afloat. The same thing happens to the section in Boat No. 4. Half of its people are lost to the fire or tide before anyone gets ashore. All order has vanished from Able Company before it has fired a shot.
>>
>>71748882
Based Mel is about to give us that kino with Hacksaw Ridge
>>
File: Capa D Day.jpg (153 KB, 1050x704) Image search: [Google]
Capa D Day.jpg
153 KB, 1050x704
An interesting thing about the D-Day scene is how influenced the cinematography was by the photographs Robert Capa took.

The entire scene, according to Spielberg was not story boarded.

Look at this photo and you'll
>>
>>71748618
>"white feather"

love saying this to a feminist
>>
>>71748967
>Already the sea runs red. Even among some of the lightly wounded who jumped into shallow water the hits prove fatal. Knocked down by a bullet in the arm or weakened by fear and shock, they are unable to rise again and are drowned by the onrushing tide. Other wounded men drag themselves ashore and, on finding the sands, lie quiet from total exhaustion, only to be overtaken and killed by the water. A few move safely through the bullet swarm to the beach, then find that they cannot hold there. They return to the water to use it for body cover. Faces turned upward, so that their nostrils are out of water, they creep toward the land at the same rate as the tide. That is how most of the survivors make it. The less rugged or less clever seek the cover of enemy obstacles moored along the upper half of the beach and are knocked off by machine-gun fire.

>Within seven minutes after the ramps drop, Able Company is inert and leaderless. At Boat No. 2, Lieutenant Tidrick takes a bullet through the throat as he jumps from the ramp into the water. He staggers onto the sand and flops down ten feet from Private First Class Leo J. Nash. Nash sees the blood spurting and hears the strangled words gasped by Tidrick: "Advance with the wire cutters!" It's futile; Nash has no cutters. To give the order, Tidrick has raised himself up on his hands and made himself a target for an instant. Nash, burrowing into the sand, sees machine gun bullets rip Tidrick from crown to pelvis. From the cliff above, the German gunners are shooting into the survivors as from a roof top.
>>
>>71749000

and you'll notice how this shot was recreated in the film.
>>
>>71746385
>>71746511

Actually the only redeeming factor of the entire film, is how accurately they portrayed "Dog Green" sector on Omaha Beach.

Omaha beach generally was pretty hairy, but nothing even close to Dog Green.

>1st wave "lands"
>gets destroyed by crossfire of 2 different MG nests
>88s
>mortars everywhere
>mines
>bad weather

Apparently the rifle company that landed had a 90% casualty rate after the landing. They had to wait for the entire second wave to even mount an attack on the beach.

Sadly SPR makes it seem like all of Normandy was this bad, which it wasnt. The Germans got duped and had their entire tank battalions in Calais.
>>
>>71749020
>Captain Taylor N. Fellers and Lieutenant Benjamin R. Kearfoot never make it. They had loaded with a section of thirty men in Boat No. 6 (Landing Craft, Assault, No. 1015). But exactly what happened to this boat and its human cargo was never to be known. No one saw the craft go down. How each man aboard it met death remains unreported. Half of the drowned bodies were later found along the beach. It is supposed that the others were claimed by the sea.

>Along the beach, only one Able Company officer still lives -- Lieutenant Elijah Nance, who is hit in the heel as he quits the boat and hit in the belly by a second bullet as he makes the sand. By the end of ten minutes, every sergeant is either dead or wounded. To the eyes of such men as Private Howard I. Grosser and Private First Class Gilbert G. Murdock, this clean sweep suggests that the Germans on the high ground have spotted all leaders and concentrated fire their way. Among the men who are still moving in with the tide, rifles, packs, and helmets have already been cast away in the interests of survival.

>To the right of where Tidrick's boat is drifting with the tide, its coxswain lying dead next to the shell-shattered wheel, the seventh craft, carrying a medical section with one officer and sixteen men, noses toward the beach. The ramp drops. In that instant, two machine guns concentrate their fire on the opening. Not a man is given time to jump. All aboard are cut down where they stand.

>By the end of fifteen minutes, Able Company has still not fired a weapon. No orders are being given by anyone. No words are spoken. The few able-bodied survivors move or not as they see fit. Merely to stay alive is a full-time job. The fight has become a rescue operation in which nothing counts but the force of a strong example.
>>
>>71749064
>Above all others stands out the first-aid man, Thomas Breedin. Reaching the sands, he strips off pack, blouse, helmet, and boots. For a moment he stands there so that others on the strand will see him and get the same idea. Then he crawls into the water to pull in wounded men about to be overlapped by the tide. The deeper water is still spotted with tide walkers advancing at the same pace as the rising water. But now, owing to Breedin's example, the strongest among them become more conspicuous targets. Coming along, they pick up wounded comrades and float them to the shore raftwise. Machine-gun fire still rakes the water. Burst after burst spoils the rescue act, shooting the floating man from the hands of the walker or killing both together. But Breedin for this hour leads a charmed life and stays with his work indomitably.

>By the end of one half hour, approximately two thirds of the company is forever gone. There is no precise casualty figure for that moment. There is for the Normandy landing as a whole no accurate figure for the first hour or first day. The circumstances precluded it. Whether more Able Company riflemen died from water than from fire is known only to heaven. All earthly evidence so indicates, but cannot prove it.

>By the end of one hour, the survivors from the main body have crawled across the sand to the foot of the bluff, where there is a narrow sanctuary of defiladed space. There they lie all day, clean spent, unarmed, too shocked to feel hunger, incapable even of talking to one another. No one happens by to succor them, ask what has happened, provide water, or offer unwanted pity. D Day at Omaha afforded no time or space for such missions. Every landing company was overloaded by its own assault problems.
>>
I must go there some day. I live in Jersey so it's not too far
>>
>>71749063

The whole of WW2 was pretty much a wash after 1942, the allies were reading German coded messages out of thin air and had so much information that they had to make it look like they had less information by not hitting the Germans as hard as they could have. Same thing with the Japanese, the Americans knew were their fleet was at all times.
>>
>American """"""Strategy""""""
>>
>>71749390

>pretty much a wash

Sorry, but WW2 was on the Eastern Front.

The only reasons the Yanks and Tommies landed on D-Day, was to prevent the Kossaks from conquering all of Europe.

Even despite cracking the enigma and fighting underequiped old men and boys, the Wehrmacht made the Allies suffer for every mile.

The only commander who outsmarted the Germans was Patton, because he was a master at mobile warfare and didnt just throw armies with total air superiority at the Jerries.
>>
Every time I watch this scene I think about how lucky Hanks and the other main characters were. They survived not because they were better fighters, but that they stepped right instead of left.
>>
>>71750467
Truly interesting how many died simply from missteps
>>
>>71745399
why did that film copy Medal of Honour: Allied Assault/Frontline

can Americans not think of original ideas anymore?
>>
>>71751872

Other way around.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.