[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so, if DC has such great villains, explain this character please
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9
File: 734589567.jpg (36 KB, 980x551) Image search: [Google]
734589567.jpg
36 KB, 980x551
so, if DC has such great villains, explain this character please
>>
>>71739344
They didn't do it like in the Comics.
It went right as usual. Right?
>>
>>71739344
he tells riddles that are clues to his plans and identity
>>
>>71739344
He explains himself here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zDz7SXj7cg
>>
>>71739344
He is a great villain.

Eisenberg was cast because he's the antithesis of Superman. He lacks physicality and relies on wits.
A lot of complaints stem from the fact that he doesn't resemble the Luthor in the comics, but fail to realize that this modernized version of Lex represents the modern billionaire millenial. He's a whiny cynical Mark Zuckerberg-type who feels he's above the the laws of man. His subtle facial expressions convey that there's a thin line between genius and madness. His performance is way more nuanced than many people give him credit for, and describing it simply as 'cringy' is a disservice, in my opinion.
>>
People liked the Joker so they made Lex the Joker.
>>
http://www.manofsteelanswers.com/lex-luthor-explained/
>>
>>71739433
>They didn't do it like in the Comics.
isnt the movie loosely based off of the dark knight returns? Luthor isnt even in it
>>
all hail the eisenkike! praise kublai kike founder of our people!
>>
>>71739464
The utter contempt he has for Superman...it's a facet of Luthor that no one has ever been able to relay on film until Eisenberg.

It's the best cinematic interpretation of Luthor and what he stands for, but of course autists complain because he doesn't looke like Bryan Cranston in breaking bad.
>>
>>71739482
fuck you, he's awful and you should feel bad for liking him.
>>
>>71739482
>>71739534
agreed.
>>
>>71739482
>>71739534
>>71739571
kys
>>
>>71739499
>dark knight returns
If it has anything from dark knight returns it's an angry batman but that's it.
>>
>The devil gets, as usual, the most florid dialogue, and Jesse Eisenberg dispenses it with exuberant intelligence. He steals every scene. In a recent interview in Le Monde, Eisenberg discussed his approach to the role:

>"Luthor becomes a character from Greek tragedy. At least, that’s how I approached it, in accord with the screenwriter. He only talks about ideas, which makes him a profoundly theatrical character. I can also play on a paradox: rendering this individual funny although he behaves in an appalling way, also showing him prone to deep depressions because of his internal conflicts. I did everything I could to theatricalize him in the extreme. I had read lots of the adventures of Superman in comic books, but it was impossible to draw on them to find a way to play Luthor. Too schematic. Too much of a caricature. I reconfigured the character as if he became in fact the center of the film."

>Eisenberg’s gleeful and inventive performance suggests that he may be at his best in a tight framework that restrains his physicality and converges his acting to vocal inflections and turns of phrase, gestures and facial expressions.
>>
>>71739581
return to your /co/ntainment board pleb
>>
>>71739534
>what is smallville
and he did it without being an obnoxious zuckergerg faggot
>>
>>71739581
you should
>>
>>71739584
I havent seen the movie. doesnt it have batman wearing a robot suit and fighting supes?
>>
>>71739601
back to r/DC_Cinematic and your prayer circles

>>71739616
no u
>>
>>71739587
>I had read lots of the adventures of Superman in comic books, but it was impossible to draw on them to find a way to play Luthor. Too schematic.

>so I just threw away the character and did whatever the fuck I wanted
>>
>>71739627
Wouldn't call it robot but he definitely wears heavy armour with glowing eyes.
>>
>>71739464
Actual clip without cuts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuwNhed4ObU
>>
>>71739641
he's a lot like the Lex from Birthright and Luthor: Man of Steel.

which you'd know if you weren't borderline illiterate
>>
>>71739695
>I need to read pulp books for children to not be illiterate

kys
>>
File: 1467850803001.png (1 MB, 1566x973) Image search: [Google]
1467850803001.png
1 MB, 1566x973
>>71739640
You don't belong here.
>>
>>71739719
you literally just made a post bitching about "not muh Lex", now you're backtracking.

you're either retarded or trolling. maybe both.
>>
>>71739487
"That's right, Jay!"
>>
File: 14282827272644.jpg (214 KB, 500x650) Image search: [Google]
14282827272644.jpg
214 KB, 500x650
>mfw only whiny sperglords dislike Eisenberg's performance
>>
File: image.png (302 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
image.png
302 KB, 680x680
>>71739743
>>
Perfect Lex origin story. Starts off proto-Lex, fucks Batman and Superman's shit up, Creates a God monster, learns the knowledge of the cosmos, and finally jailed.

NOW he's Lex
>>
>>71739773
>being his natural retarded self
>call this acting
>>
>>71739773
It it's too close to home for them
>>
He's a believer and an idealist but a warped version of that.

He BELIEVES in Superman and places endless trials and tests in front of him to prove his holiness.

You ever thought it odd how this Lex Luthor could be so obsessed with "hating" what Superman is doing to humanity but then personally invites Steppenwolf to Earth? Because he doesn't hate Superman! His fixation on Gods is off the charts to the point where he wants to create one!

"Expose the holes in the holy"? No, he desperately wants to prove there are none in Superman, that he can be all good and all powerful.

He's so fed up and cynical about the human world that he wants to be saved by a God, no matter the cost. To him, roping in Batman into the conflict is a spiritual thing to do for example. As Batman was another man attempting to be bigger than that - a symbol - but he was polluted by depression.

Superman failed Lex's tests, so he called to Darkseid to be a true God! The new Gods!
>>
>>71739854
>>being his natural retarded self

Oh you know him, word?
>>
>>71739905
Just watch any interview.
>>
>>71739487
>People liked the Joker so they made Penguin the Joker
>People liked the Joker so they made Riddler the Joker
>>
>>71739344
i wished they had gone for a blatant zuckerberg rip off instead, down to wearing the same t-shirt everyday and all.
>>
>>71739928
Yeah, he's quiet and introverted. Not an extrovert spaz.
>>
>>71739610
Small ville was a teen drama aimed at girls anon. But you knew this already. ..right? ?
>>
>>71740037
Doesn't change the fact that we got a proper lex acting. Proof that even a fucking teen-girls drama actor acts better than this zuckergerg hack.
>>
>>71739535
>>71739581
WTF I hate good characters now
>>
>>71739482
>subtle
yeah ok
>>
notice:

Fans of Lex: Well thought out replies, links for reference, mostly substantial reasoning using the text from the film to back opinion up

Lex haters: "kys" "fuck you he's awful" :not my lex"

It never fails
>>
>>71739584
If they went with Miller's vision it would have been too dark for the masses. I would have liked to see a Miller-esque Dark Knight film, but it would bomb horribly in the box office.
>>
>>71740087
I think you may have rose tinted glasses anon. Small ville was trashy af. The lex was a caricature of an actual adult, he acted like a petulant child and looks like he spent all day in the salon all the while reciting embarrassingly cliché dialogue
>>
>>71740193
did any of us really expect anything different?
>>
>>71740202
>too dark
but in BvS Batman tries to brutally murder Superman with a fucking toilet.
>>
>>71740296

So just like Jesse's version without the salon bit?
>>
>>71740202
No it fucking wouldn't. Jesus christ quality and word of mouth AND marketing sell films, not visual style. If your film is complete shit (and most cape shit is) then a huge marketing budget will still get tickets sales. That's how it works anon that's how is always worked
>>
File: buffoonery.jpg (20 KB, 450x254) Image search: [Google]
buffoonery.jpg
20 KB, 450x254
>>71739937
2 jokers in one movie
>>
File: where-is-he.jpg (174 KB, 800x438) Image search: [Google]
where-is-he.jpg
174 KB, 800x438
>>71739344
just watched yesterday and i thought luther was a great character.

i fucking hated superman and lane. also the end fight scene i pretty much stopped watching because long, drawn out fight scenes are what make super hero movies shit.
>>
>>71740390
No Jesse had nice hair also. He's a great antagonist up to the 3rd act where the writers inexplicably decided to make him completely insane and create a bullshit cgi monster. Instead of the smooth capitalist billionaire who bought himself government officials and then toys with them ( hitting in the milf/ stuffing a sweet into suit guys mouth after he got him space ship access)
>>
>>71739878
Odds are theyre the ones that complain most about plot and have autistic complaints about character motives, as if they want to control how everything happens in every movie. They most likely also call Superman a "boring superhero" and identify as atheist.

Lex was casted and executed perfectly.
>>
>>71740479
two things are worth noting:

Luthor could have stopped Doomsday's birth if Superman had indeed killed Batman

Luthor thought he could control Doomsday.
>>
File: 1460108474731.jpg (3 MB, 1746x4245) Image search: [Google]
1460108474731.jpg
3 MB, 1746x4245
>>71739487
Archetypes are a central theme of the film.
>>
>>71740543
Anon none of that matters. They wanted a shit cgi battle with a crap monster so superman batman and (ffs) wonder woman could team up and fight the unequivocally bad thing. That's it that's the real reason. You think any writer or director wanted that in their movie? ?? Nope same as the part where batman has to sit through movie trailers with a straight face. It had the upshot of destroying the movie and removing any gravitas built up to that point
>>
>>71739344
Dunno if he was a good Luthor, but he was a good character from what I understood

>He is someone who was treated as a bad person despite no fault of his own, by his father, so when he sees superman being praised for just inheriting superpowers, he immediately recognizes a hypocrite and wants to show everyone that when faced with consequences supes is no better.

That's it, I saw the movie some time ago, otherwise I could write more. Also the acting was great.
>>
>>71742017
yeah i love the acting in it too, the final fight with big guy felt off though, like everything was fucking exploding, it was too much.
>>
>>71740681
ironically being shitty is still being shitty.

this film was garbage.
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 177x150) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 177x150
>>71740119
>good
>>
>>71739344
> People really loved the Joker in the TDK. Let's just make Lex Luthor the Joker.

That's literally just it.
>>
>>71739344

Much better Riddler than Jim Carey.
>>
>>71742645
>people liked Batman being dark and gloomy
>let's just make everything dark and gloomy

fuck Warner.
>>
>>71742556
I was specifically referring to Eisenberg there.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.