[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>mocks people who talk about the historical accuracy of Amadeus
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: sdf.jpg (94 KB, 700x393) Image search: [Google]
sdf.jpg
94 KB, 700x393
>mocks people who talk about the historical accuracy of Amadeus
>went full on sperg in review of Pearl Harbor about the historical inaccuracies

Do historical inaccuracies in films matter?
>>
>>71725573
>Do historical inaccuracies in films matter?
only when it's something I care deeply about
>>
>>71725573
what's that guys name again?
sentimentality judge?
>>
they trigger me
>>
>>71725666
reminiscing ombudsman
>>
totally depends on the film
there is no one answer to this

in dreyer's joan of arc film historical accuracy does not matter as much as in bresson's. both historical films on the same subject with different goals in mind
>>
Doug Walker is one of those faggots that only cares about the history of his country

If anything relating to another country's history is bullshit he doesn't care.
>>
File: fd4d.jpg (6 KB, 236x214) Image search: [Google]
fd4d.jpg
6 KB, 236x214
>historical accuracy of Amadeus
>the film's purpose is exactly this, to present him in this manner, and make the movie seem like a play
>it's why the movie is fucking good

How retarded is this guy?
>>
>>71725666
memory reviewer
>>
>>71725573
it's a gray area to me, I think the difference is that the inaccuracies in pearl harbor were a little bit more mean spirited and tried painting japan in an even worse tone than necessary whereas the inaccuracies in amadeus were pretty minute and did nothing to really disrespect the people being portrayed
>>
Yes.

The entire point of making most historical or period pieces is to represent that time and tell a story around it.

Also,
The importance given to historical accuracy in film is proportional to the historical knowledge the person has.

That said, the period in which a film takes place can be inconsequential to how it tells a story. That Lincoln Vampire Hunter movie dealt with historic figures, but it had an obvious intent which included ignoring history.

A film claiming to depict what were true events cannot be excused the same way.

Simply because it takes place in a certain period does not mean it must be a true representation.

But yeah, any serious film, that shit matters.
>>
>>71725842
>the inaccuracies in amadeus were pretty minute

You clearly know literally nothing about Mozart and are just pulling shit out of your ass.

Just about the entire play is inaccurate besides the names
>>
Not really. I believe the purpose of historical movies is to convey its time and show its spirit. Whats important is truthful portrayal of the way people of that era behaved, thought, acted, reacted to things, more than some autistic dating of events. Dry facts will be always available in history books, why bother with them in fiction?
>>
>>71725921
care to actually tell me what the inaccuracies or are you just gonna sit there and act all high and mighty because you called someone wrong on the internet?
>>
it doesn't matter much with amadeus because of its plot. the time period and the characters themselves aren't important because of their historical value. amadeus deals with the tragedy of a great artist

pearl harbor, on the other hand, i assume (it's been years since i've seen it as a kid) uses its background of history as a dramatic backdrop for the plot, and therefore if there isn't a faith to the history, there could easily be problems with the plot.

>>71725715
this, really.
>>
>>71726239
>no evidence of Salieri hating Mozart
>no evidence of Salieri trying to commit suicide
>no evidence of Salieri getting Mozart killed
>Salieri never swore a vow of chastity or refused to get married he had tons of kids
>no evidence the Emperor was such a dipshit
>Mozarts debts were typically due to the economy and not him being a drunk or Salieri plotting against him
>Mozart was always adored and in high demand and all his operas were hits

The only thing the movie gets right is Mozart's constant swearing and trolling people.
>>
>>71725727
Jesus christ how can a guy who likes Amadeus so much be such a massive pleb.
>>
>>71725573
>What is historical fiction?
>>
>>71725573
No

Unless it's about white racial pride, then historical accuracy is the single most important thing in filmmaking
>>
>>71726637
keyword: evidence, there's no evidence proving it and there really isn't much evidence disproving it otherwise, yeah a few of those points are very true, there is a large amount of historical inaccuracy in amadeus, but compared to other historical films that go way fucking overboard, I cant really complain or let it ruin the movie, if I wanted 100% historical accuracy over playing around with what is and isn't known to make an engaging film, I'd watch a fucking documentary
>>
My wife and I got into a discussion about this last weekend when we watched Gladiator. It really bothered me how wrong they were about basically everything. Not just autistic shit, but the general tone and atmosphere, not to mention all the clumsy comparisons to America. Like the guy literally throwing bread to the audience, HURR DURR, I GET IT, BREAD AND CIRCUSES.

She said it doesn't matter because it's an entertaining film. I still maintain that artist intent has something to do with it. Ridley Scott was clearly trying to make an accurate period piece, was he not?

Who is right here?
>>
>>71725842
>and tried painting japan in an even worse tone than necessary
Fuck off you anti-american weeaboo

Japan were subhuman scumbags worse than the nazis. You dont see people justifying the invasion of Poland
>>
If they're very obvious and take you out of the film, then it matters.
>>
>>71726986
fuck it ill take the bait

there's a difference between trying to justify something and over-exaggerating what they did to the point of near war propaganda
>>
Depends

You shouldnt sensationalize History when its important.

Hitler - Rise of evil is horrible in that regard for example.
>>
>>71725666
bygone interpreter
>>
>>71725573
only if the creators say they're attempting to make a historically accurate movie. although historical accuracy is almost always more enjoyable to me
>>
>>71725666
childhood connoisseur
>>
>>71726980

>Ridley Scott was clearly trying to make an accurate period piece, was he not?

Haha, no. He was making a film in the style of the 50s/60s historical epics, with made up characters and events in a Hollywood-ized inaccurate cliche-ridden pop-history Rome.
>>
>>71726980
>Like the guy literally throwing bread to the audience, HURR DURR, I GET IT, BREAD AND CIRCUSES.

That actually happened. Old timey t-shirt cannon.
>>
Why is he still "arguing" with imaginary people?

Who's demanding in this day and age some accountability regarding the accuracy of the film?

What's the point?
>>
>>71725666
Shploopity
>>
>>71726637
>>Mozarts debts were typically due to the economy and not him being a drunk or Salieri plotting against him

Mozart's debts were due to the fact that he spent more than he earned. A lousy economy was *not* the reason he had money problems. He was a child, of sorts, and did not manage money like an adult.

>>Mozart was always adored and in high demand and all his operas were hits

I don't think so. He was absolutely a favorite in Prague ("Meine Praguer verstehen mich") but he wasn't all that appreciated in his time in Vienna. Had he moved to Prague, he likely would have gotten some sort of permanent commission that would have kept in out of arrears.
>>
>>71726945
>there isn;t much evidence disproving it
This isn't a real argument. You can't just make outlandish claims and then say "yeah but you can't prove I'm wrong!" I could say that the universe exists inside of an extra-dimensional being's asshole, but that doesn't mean it should be repeated even if you can't disprove it.
>>
>>71725573
Neo Nc is cáncer

Plus have you noticed how he has pussed out on copyrighted content in his reviews like now he only uses shitty royalty free bgm music, and those skits, and what's worse, the skit reviews!

Why the fuck couldnt review Hocus Pocus as a normal review?
>>
>Lincoln
>Elizabeth
>Downfall
>Europa, Europa
>I, Claudius
>The Last Emperor
>Master and Commander
>The Red Badge of Courage
>Tora! Tora! Tora!
>Bridge of Spies
>Das Boot

All of these films/serials and others like them are enhanced by their historical accuracy but also know how to implement it and knowing what its audience will understand and connect with in order to better tell the story and depict the facts. For example, in I, Claudius, the use of upper class RP English accents for the patricians successfully portrayed to 70s UK viewers the class differences in Rome via something they connected to.
>>
historical inaccuracy is only an issue if the film is supposed to be accurate

amadeus is not meant to be historically accurate, so it doesnt matter, it's a work of fiction
>>
>historical inaccuracies in films
Films. Not documentaries. You can figure this out.
>>
>>71725573

It depends. If they are massive and distracting then yes. However, they are more forgiveable in films where historical accuracy isn't really the point, like Inglorious Basterds.
>>
>>71725666
past evaluator
>>
>>71726637
The movie is about Salieri being driven insane by penis envy of Mozart.
Within that context, Salieri tells a tell about how and why Mozart drove him nuts. The entire movie is his retelling, of how he sees it.
Its not a Mozart biopic. It similar to Inglorious Basterds, in that he is based at a certain time, and place, and with certain characters but is mostly a work of fiction to tell a certain story.
>>
>>71725573
depends on the inaccuracy and depends on the movie

some movies are pretty blatant about how they aren't meant to be historically accurate, other movies have slight inaccuracies that aren't that big of a deal and are just done to make the movie flow better
>>
>>71726106
Because people like to experience what it was like to live in a completely different era of history and if it turns out the depiction of that era was total crap you ruin that immersion. The fact you can't understand this simple idea that some people find enjoyment in very different things to you makes you the autistic one here.
>>
Yes, in fact blatant disregard for history should be punishable by law in mediums of entertainment without a notice at the beginning stating that the content of the movie is historically inaccurate.

While this would lead to some asinine examples, in a whole it would not allow groups to slowly whittle away at out history generation by generation, slowly turning fact into fiction.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.