[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Literal Autism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: room 237.jpg (437 KB, 1200x1778) Image search: [Google]
room 237.jpg
437 KB, 1200x1778
The entire thing is one massive facepalm.
>there's some baking powder that means X
>the light is tilted at a 45* angle so X

Christ....
>>
They sort of have a point when it comes to Kubrick's attention to detail in the background and it meaning something, but some of the shit they came up with was ridiculous. I think the funniest one was the poster of a person skiing and somebody said that it was a Minotaur. It was at that point that I just turned it off.

Some of the stuff was genuinely interesting though and stuff that I hadn't noticed, like Jack reading the Playgirl magazine in the lounge, and the impossible window
>>
File: 1466858075528.jpg (76 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1466858075528.jpg
76 KB, 600x600
>>71712610
Art is constituted in its reception not its creation you knuckle dragging retard
>>
>>71712788
>not appreciating the artful creation and mindful reception of this thread by intellectual people who will adore this thread for eons
Lmao, pleb
>>
>>71712788
This. Anyone who disagrees should go back to the 19th century.

Related:
>Kubrick encouraged people to explore their own interpretations of the film, and refused to offer an explanation of "what really happened" in the movie, preferring instead to let audiences embrace their own ideas and theories. In a 1968 interview with Playboy, Kubrick stated:

>You're free to speculate as you wish about the philosophical and allegorical meaning of the film—and such speculation is one indication that it has succeeded in gripping the audience at a deep level—but I don't want to spell out a verbal road map for 2001 that every viewer will feel obligated to pursue or else fear he's missed the point.
>>
>>71712610
>>71712773

That's the point. It's not a documentary about hidden meanings of The Shining. It's a documentary about obsession and how autists get obsessed with art and start coming up with crazy hidden meanings.
>>
>>71712610
From memory, I think the maze carpet was intentional. I think that wasn't the actual carpet in the hotel they used for the interior, and was brought in just for the movie... And it's so iconic too. I mean who knew CARPET could be iconic? The second you see that pattern you know what's up.
>>
>>71712773
Was the impossible window the one in the office where Jack is interviewed? Do these people think Kubrick is literally IMMUNE from making mistakes?
>>
>>71712969
yes that's the one. I mean it could be a mistake and it could be intentional. That's kind of the point of the documentary.
>>
>>71713013
That is such bullshit.
Sounds like a movie based on Kubrick's Tv tropes page.
>>
>>71712610
flim students at their best.
>>
>>71712788
Nah. It mustn't be a 0 or 100 kind of thing
>>
>>71713013
It's a mistake. And it's something nobody but autisms would figure out.

Room 237 isn't 237 because of the distance from the moon. It was going to be 217 until the hotel they used for the exterior shot complained that the movie would scare people away from staying in their real room 217. That's why it was changed.

I actually think they might just be taking the piss out of people who make up movie theories.
>>
>>71712854
Open interpretation is similar to clickbait, it generates views, and discussion which directly translate into free marketing.

>You are able to perceive art however you like, and you would be correct, no one is wrong, no one gets left behind, here have a gold star for trying.

HA HA HA!
>>
>>71713239
Go back to the 19th century.
Postmodernism has been a thing for almost a century.
>>
>that guy who never finished whatever points he was trying to make and then couldn't be bothered to turn off the recording to take care of his kid

Unless the entire point was to show how stupid these people are, why did he even make it through editing?
>>
>>71713228
>I actually think they might just be taking the piss out of people who make up movie theories.

Yes. That's what the movie is actually about.
>>
>>71713329
It doesn't matter if its been a thing since 1066, it's bullshit. You can't just apply any random crackpot theory to things. As far as I'm concerned, creation and creator go hand in hand. If the creator makes a movie and you say it's about the moon landing, and he tells you that you're wrong, then obviously you're reading things which aren't really there and you're wrong.
>>
>>71713228
>It's a mistake

That's factually wrong though. Jan Harlan confirmed the geometry was intentional on Kubrick's part, and that was before this movie came out.
>>
>>71713511
All true, and pretty obvious at it. That this is up to debate is quite delirious.
>>
>>71712610
You aren't supposed to take the theories seriously. The film is about how the film affects people in a similar way to how Jack Nicholson is affected by the hotel in The Shining.
>>
>>71712773

that was the only segment that was a bit too much of a stretch and they really should have left that on the editing room floor, the rest of it made perfect sense
>>
>>71714043
yeah this, it's just speculations. I actually had one of the people as a prof in college and he didn't seem to take it too seriously, although he was one of the more reasonable ones

Room 237 threads are always just autists excited to call out what they see as autism because they think they have a leg up for once
>>
>>71712788
ah so is that why art is dead? A shame really.
>>
>>71712610
The point of that movie is to show how retarded people are that grasp at straws and connect dots to fit their own view. I think they even included two people with completely contradictory viewpoints.
>>
>>71714371
For retards like you, in a way, yes.
These concepts are too sophisticated, so art might as well be dead for you.
>>
>implying the documentary isn't in on the joke
>>
>>71714043
>>71714353
>>71714552
>>71714483
>all these Room 237 defenders out of the woodwork
Even if your point was true, the film made a terrible job of delineating itself in that manner. The presentation is straight. Youtube-tier schlock in feature-length. Pure garbage as cinema.
>>
>>71714624
>triggered
>missing the point
>>
>that guy that was convinced he was being tracked by the feds.

Are these niggas serious?
>>
File: 1449628136159.jpg (39 KB, 598x608) Image search: [Google]
1449628136159.jpg
39 KB, 598x608
>>71714624
>>
>>71714624
Sorry the movie didn't hold your hand and tell you what to think.
>>
>that guy that made up the giant dick joke.
>>
>>71714779
HaHaHa, fucking doge
>>
>>71714760
What would be your elusive point?

>>71714857
It literally did, in its straightforward manner. It invites anyone to 'enjoy' all the crazy people and their bullshit.
>>
>>71712610
The filmic equivalent of a BvS thread on /tv/

It was hilarious.
>>
>>71714964
That the film made a deep impact on people, so it's being passionately discussed to this day.
It's irrelevant if you agree or not with the people's personal interpretations.
>>
>>71712610
Any other movies like this? It was stupid, but MAD comfy.
>>
>>71712854
I think this is dumb as fuck

What's the point if people can just make up whatever they want? You're not telling them anything with your movie then

Imagine if you're talking to someone and they misinterpret what you mean and you're like "that's not what I meant" and they're like "LE DEATH OF LE AUTHOR YOU MEAN WHAT I SAY YOU MEAN GO BACK TO THE 19TH CENTURY"
>>
>>71715087
If the film were like your description, it probably would have been good. As it is, it isn't directed or edited in that mode.
>>
>>71715263
And yet, here you are discussing a documentary of the film 40 years later.
>>
File: 14282828266528.jpg (71 KB, 261x317) Image search: [Google]
14282828266528.jpg
71 KB, 261x317
>>71715006
Agree. Snyder is the Kubrick of our generation.
>>
if you don't think that the crushed car and the impossible window are deliberate Kubrick autism then you need to neck yourself. The man spent weeks rerecording a tapping sound for Eyes Wide Shut
>>
>>71715703
What is the hidden meaning of the helicopter shadow?
>>
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/31/movies/aide-to-kubrick-on-shining-scoffs-at-room-237-theories.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
>>
>>71716950
did I say there's a hidden meaning to everything? I said a long shot scene that was obviously carefully planned and obviously way int he interior could only have a window if the director wanted it

irregular building interiors is not even a new horror technique, it was in The haunting of hill house from 1959 ffs
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.