[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The UK Office is the most influential TV comedy of the last 10
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: davidbrent.jpg (32 KB, 500x366) Image search: [Google]
davidbrent.jpg
32 KB, 500x366
The UK Office is the most influential TV comedy of the last 10 years and probably the most influential TV comedy since Seinfeld. You could make an argument for Friends or Arrested Development or the U.S. remake of the show or even Everybody Loves Raymond, but most of those shows were reacting to Seinfeld or trying to ape what made this show so great. In just 14 episodes, Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant took the standard workplace sitcom—full of will-they/won’t-they romances and wacky hijinks—and brought it slightly more down to Earth. They brought cringe humor into the TV mainstream in a big way. They invented a set of characters that resonated from the very first episode, and they create a full story that leaves at just the right point in time—twice. The Office is a very funny show and it’s a very cringe-inducing show, but for me, what resonates about the series is its ultimately humane nature. It would be so easy for the show to be a cruel exercise in asking us to laugh at the pathetic man at its center, but it never loses sight of the fact that he’s desperate for attention and affection. And it does all this without ever blatantly pointing that fact out.
>>
>>71698987
Yeah. It's pretty good.

U.S. version is better though.
>>
>>71698987
Now watch Ricky Gervais piss it all away with that David Brent movie that nobody wanted or asked for
>>
>>71698987
>They brought cringe humor into the TV mainstream in a big way.
Yeah, I love seeing someone who has billions in the bank act like a socially awkward loser and constantly glance at the camera with the "HEHE HE US CREEPS HEHEHE HE" look.
>>
>>71699280
thats an awful joke
>>
>>71698987
>the last 10 years

But The Office (U.K.) is more than 10 years old.
>>
>>71699432

>See normies on Facebook happy about it

Don't people ever learn?
>>
>>71698987
I absolutely love the office and david brent is probably the funniest comedy character ever imo.

I re-watched them all a couple of years ago and it's still fucking hilarious, almost as funny as it was back then.
>>
File: 1412277489268.gif (363 KB, 192x291) Image search: [Google]
1412277489268.gif
363 KB, 192x291
That would be Awesome Show
>>
>>71698987

brilliant m8

>>71699466
wanker
>>
>>71699432
Ricky Gervais needs Stephen Merchant.
>>
>>71701293

Steve, is at you m8? Rick, here.
>>
>>71698987
Personally I'd attribute that to The Larry Sanders Show which pretty obviously influenced The Office.
>>
>>71699466
>someone who has billions in the bank

I don't think there's a single human on earth with billions in his personal account
>>
>influential

who fucking cares
>>
>>71701684
I hear a lot of comics refer to The Larry Sanders show as a big influence. Haven't watched it yet desu.

I grew up with Seinfeld in the 90s but I can't remember The Larry Sanders show. I don't think they aired it over here.
>>
Alan Partridge = steve coogan and his team of minon's invented CRINGE comedy as you put it.
Go Watch season 1 of "I'm Alan Partridge".

brent is a really good fake made in Taiwan copy.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.