[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this PTA's magnum opus?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 564x804) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 564x804
Is this PTA's magnum opus?
>>
thats not boogie nights
>>
>>71695449
PDL >>>>
>>
>>71695449
Yes
>>
His most sensational, and I like it for that, though I can understand if people find it too cheesy to watch.

PTA is really good at using music as scenes transition. It pulls along the film in a wonderful way. Same with Inherent Vice.
>>
That's not TWBB
>>
>>71695449
it's shit
>>
>>71695623
I consider myself open-minded when it comes to all types of art, but the love Inherent Vice is routinely given baffles me. It's missing that magic touch Pynchon's prose added to it, but I don't think it's something which can easily translate to screen for that matter either. Maybe it's just one of those stories that doesn't work the second time around when you realise [there's no pay off.]
>>
>>71695449
It's probably his worst. You're the type of guy who makes BvS capekino threads aren't you?
>>
>>71696577
It's just a bad film, bro. Nothing baffling about people thinking bad films are good. Their standards are just lower.

Inherent Vice wasn't funny enough, smart enough, coherent enough, or cool enough to be anything more than a film discussed by its small group of fans.

It tried to be Chinatown meets Big Lebowski, but it won't have the historical impact of either.
>>
>>71696751
Really? IH is actually of of my favourites from PTA. Which ones do you like?
>>
Hard Eight you fucks.
>>
I will rank for you plebs:

1. There Will Be Blood
2. Boogie Nights
3. Magnolia
4. The Master
5. Punch-Drunk Love
6. Hard Eight
7. Inherent Vice

Any other opinion reveals your pleb-ness.
>>
>>71697367
I think Boogie Nights is unequivocally his best film and the others should be held to that standard. The story and characters were all serviced by the cinematography and direction instead of the other way around. At the end, you really felt like these were characters who deserved to be loved for all their flaws. I could start talking about any of the characters and you'd know who it was, because they were so well-written. It's disappointing that he couldn't capture its brilliance again. He may never. I think it's because most of the characters in his later films are terrible people.

Magnolia had a bunch of disparate, interesting ideas for films crammed together into one lame and incoherent film. He got to make it because Boogie Nights was so successful, but nobody else would have been able to make it because it was a bad script.

There Will Be Blood was a unique and ambitious film that ran out of steam in the middle and ultimately tried too much. Its fame rests only on one good character and a riveting finale.

The Master had an unbelievably amazing first half, really one of the most captivating I've ever seen. But it didn't go anywhere really interesting or thoughtful. It had good characters and fantastic acting, but it felt like a 90 minute story forced into 150 minutes. The ending seemed to forgive the audience for forgetting about it all because, ultimately, it didn't really matter. Cults still gonna cult, even if it didn't work for one guy. Honestly, I don't know the point of that movie. Maybe somebody can explain it to me. Was it trying to explain why someone like L. Ron Hubbard exists or why someone would start a cult? Because I'm pretty sure L Ron started Scientology as a money-making scam, not because he really believed people need masters or spiritual nonsense in life.

Continuing...
>>
>>71697682
Continued...

Punch Drunk Love was weird and kind of sweet, but simple and forgettable. No memorable characters. Some good acting.

I have not seen Hard Eight.

Inherent Vice was a film that required so many caveats to my viewing experience that I couldn't enjoy it or call it a good film. I had to give up any expectation of a coherent plot, any expectation of consistent characters or character arcs, and any expectation of liking the few characters we did get. If it were hilarious, I may have forgiven it. At the end I felt like I was being made fun of for watching it. It was a pointless film. If you could enjoy the aimlessness and drug vibe, then you might like it. But there's an audience for every film and that doesn't make them good. It could have been fucking amazing if it had been funnier, more coherent, and had characters that weren't just exposition mouthpieces (Michael Williams of The Wire has no role other than to give plot information) or irredeemably shitty people. Seriously, this board should hate Katherine Waterston's character more than any woman in modern film.

I expected more, but I shouldn't have, because PTA has consistently made lesser films since Boogie Nights.
>>
Inb4 Korine fag
>>
Cruise was amazing in Magnolia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3VH5wfAoKA
>>
File: i058_th.jpg (86 KB, 595x461) Image search: [Google]
i058_th.jpg
86 KB, 595x461
>>71697886
>>71697444

"Punch Drunk Love" is under-rated, in my opinion. The only good acting from Sandler, ever, really...

I liked "Magnolia" quite a bit. Every character was compelling to me in their own special way -- the actors seemed to "own it" as subtle as it were.

>RESPECT THE COCK!
>>
>>71697682
>>71697886
Probably the worst opinion on PTA films I have ever read
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.