[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the film equivalent?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 3
File: mememagic.jpg (28 KB, 300x464) Image search: [Google]
mememagic.jpg
28 KB, 300x464
What is the film equivalent?
>>
tree of life.
>>
nobody on this board actually reads, try /lit/
>>
Magnolia
>>
Any John Green adaptation. Fault in our Stars, Paper Towns etc.

Green frequently cites this book as a large influence on his writing style and the themes he puts in his books. Having read both to see for myself, the similarities are certainly numerous.
>>
Fight Club.
>>
>>71665547
Bio Dome
>>
>>71666362
Ah holy fuck! You did not fucking compare Green who writes subpár Christian YA to David fucking Wallace Foster did you? I could shit on your head right now!
>>
>>71666585
David Foster Wallace effectively invented YA.
>>
The Dark Knight Rises
>>
>>71666362
>>71666714

11/10, elder master troll
>>
>>71666362
>comparing John Green to DFW

100/10 holy shit. dfw is over-rated as fuck but he's still light years beyond green in his prose.

see kids this is how you troll
>>
>>71665547
the 8 episode miniseries being written by the guy who made parks and rec adapting infinite jest
>>
nothing in film has the same scope and effective point as IJ does

i am curious what the inevitable adaptation will be. probably a shorter tv show with two seaons or something
>>
>>71665547
the pest intro
>>
Was he right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wie8uPgQOYE
>>
>>71667297
I can't even deduce the point he's trying to make. What a rambling fuck.
>>
>>71667457
English is not my first language, but it's pretty clear.

He says that a true artist don't follow what the critics/tradition wants he does what he wants and what he thinks it's the best. Lynch had a completely new way to show surrealism and break reality and it was something that DFW hadn't seen before and inspired him to follow his own perceptions of his art.
>>
>>71667457
do not be rude to david-san
>>
>>71667588
An artist respects the silence, it serves the foundations of creativity.
>>
>>71667654
Who the fuck are you?
>>
IJ was one of the most meaningful literary experiences of my life. Highly recommend to anyone lurking this thread. It's definitely very relevant to 4chan lifers like myself.
>>
>>71668308
>relevant to 4chan lifers
why?
>>
>>71668350
It's got a lot to do with addiction
>>
>>71668350
Because one of the central themes of the book is the damaging nature of irony (the type irony often employed here) and that it will often lead to a vacuous existence if left unchecked. Essentially, irony is tool to distance oneself from ones emotions and from other people. You see this kind of stuff on /r9k/ a lot with talk of "normies" and such.
>>
>>71668308
Agreed.

>>71668350
Not him but one thing it made me do was re-evaluate my relationship with entertainment. Seeing how this board is specifically dedicated to mass marketed entertainment I'm sure most people here would identify with its ideas on the matter.
>>
BvS
>>
>>71668597
Memes
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>71668568
Damn son, preach it.
>>
>>71668682
>>71668568
>>71668350

To add on to that, a lot of the memeing and trolling on this board typify the sort of ironical disposition that is criticized in IJ. I think one of the points DFW tries to make is ithat often discussion of real emotion and feeling is met with insincere responses and derision because it lame, or banal, or trite or whatever. You see this kind of shit on /tv/ all the time. However, if you let this attitude seep into your reallife, then you have a problem. It turns out that a lot of the good stuff in life, the stuff that makes life bearable, exists in these trite little moments of banality.
>>
Anything by West Anderman
>>
>>71668568
DUDE IRONY LMAO
>>
>>71669620
Case in point.
>>
>>71669744
yeah bro, totally
>>
>>71669838
You're still doing it
>>
>>71669857
So are you. You don't even know it.
>>
>>71669908
huh????
>>
>it's long so it must be good
Everyone before they read this garbage book

The only message you get after reading IJ is that Wallace hates trees
>>
File: 798.png (306 KB, 593x540) Image search: [Google]
798.png
306 KB, 593x540
>>71669857
uh huh, tell me more oh great master of the intricacies of DFW's views
>>
>>71669992
Take a look at this post>>71668966 and tell me what you are doing is not exactly that. No one hear claimed to be a DFW expert, or that he was a go. He simply wrote a good book that is clearly very applicable to your average 4channer.
>>
This book has sat on my desk unread for years now. I've had more false starts than I care to remember. I was able to read my way through Moby-Dick (and enjoyed it, no less) but this book seems like too much of a superfluous bore for me to care enough to read.
>>
>>71670064
>he gets mad at ironic shitposting
>>
>>71670075
I think the first 100 pages are really difficult to get through for whatever reason. Theres this really terrible chapter written in ebonics that almost made me put the book down for good. After the first 100, though, it really started to click for me.
>>
>>71670075
congratulations, you now realise the ultimate irony behind it all, the book itself IS the infinite jest
>>
>>71665547
The End of the Tour
>>
Are you posting this in every board? There is a thread like this on /v/
>>
>>71670075
>he'll never read hal's and ori's conversations
>he'll never read about eschaton
>he'll never read marathe and steeply's conversations
>he'll never read the passages describing tennis matches
>he'll never read about the beautiful fate of don gately

you're missing out
>>
>>71665547
Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice
>>
>>71665547
Some Soviet art movie that's like 16 hours long.
>>
Op here, it was in fact a serious question, infinite memes is my favorite book and i'm trying to get into more serious film now, so far this >>71666025
seems like the only serious answer (maybe >>71665789
also? i can't tell), so i will definitely check that out.

>>71669294

yeah i love wes andersons stuff, he probably appeals to much of the same crowd, but i'm not sure if i'd call any of his works "The film equivalent" of IJ

>>71668347

have not heard of them but I will check them out

>>71670931

I actually did not, looks like a copy-cat, but that is really funny lmao
>>
>>71670931
>>71672395

just read through that /v/ thread and remembered why i do not go on /v/, wew lass
>>
>>71672395
Whatever the fuck you do don't watch anything made by Terrence Malick.
>>
>>71672395
Wes Anderson is definitely an example of New Sincerity, which means his films are at least thematically linked with IJ
>>
The Comedy, maybe?
>>
>>71670075
Seriously read it, it's a masterpiece.
>>
anything by christopher nolan. The themes are unmissable
>>
Yes yes very good Canada very good Canada HOWEVER
>>
>>71665789
>tree of life.
shit movie
>>
>>71675270
Your moms pussy doesnt taste that bad.
>>
>>71665547
Gravity's Rainbow was better desu
>>
>>71665547

>marijuana addiction

Dropped
>>
>>71665547
Satantango by Bela Tarr. Just for the pure length of it. I mean IJ is like 5000 pages long. It's a pain in the ass to read. Also there are prophetic and apocalyptic themes in both of them.
>>
>>71667297
>Blue Velvet doesn't come out of any previous stylistic tradition.

>The movie is heavily influenced by the surrealism of Luis Bunuel, Kenneth Anger and the aesthetic of Douglas Sirk.

So was DFW intentionally full of shit or was he just honestly not as intelligent as he thought he was?
>>
>>71675603
Fucking this. How much of a hypocritical asshole do you have to be to smoke too much weed and pretend you're a drug addict. That's real fucking insulting to people like me who actually went throug periods of substance abuse problems.
>>
>>71666714
lol this is p good
>>
>>71672655
>peautiful vilsm

....Did I miss a meme?
>>
>>71676807
you should read the book i think you'd like the passages in the halfway house
>>
What was the most overrated movie of the 20th century?
>>
>>71679630
Vertigo
>>
If you're looking for a film equivalent of Infinite Jest, you won't find it. Just watch The End of The Tour, it's literally about David Foster Wallace
>>
>>71675511
kys
>>
>>71668568
>A literary technique is damaging to society.

Jesus you really think this kind of pretentious bullshit is meaningful?
>>
>>71667096
Sauce in this my dude?
>>
>>71668597
>BvS
I think a big part of the reason BvS was so hated was due to exactly what DFW was talking about in IF.

Marvel movies get a pass because they constantly make fun of themselves ("none of this makes sense!", "Oh, so we're cool just like that?" etc) they constantly pre-empt any sort of criticism was quips and sarcastic jokes about the content of the flicks.

BvS went for sincerity and depth with things like the 'Martha' moment and frequent thematic, sincere allusions to politics and religion and the current media climate, and it was relentlessly mocked for it, by the sad affleck meme, the deadpool comic, etc.

If you look at the movies that get the best responses from critics these days, they're almost all hyper-aware flicks with lots of self-referential humor, fourth wall breaks, etc. Even moments of heart are broken up with jokes to prevent you from thinking too hard about it.

DFW really predicted the current class of criticism. Hipster irony is destroying cinema.
>>
>>71681073
BvS was hated because Zack Snyder can't tell a proper story. Sincerity doesn't fucking matter when you're bad at what you are making.
>>
>>71681772
story was fine, you just have shit taste anon
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.