[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Acting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: tumblr_muq184NVWD1shgmwuo1_500.gif (553 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_muq184NVWD1shgmwuo1_500.gif
553 KB, 500x500
How do you judge an actor? Hwo do you even know they are shit actors or if that's just the way the character is?
>>
Just measure how big he is
>>
>>71659219
Basically how convincing he is at playing the character he's supposed to be.
If I look at Emilia Clarke who's trying to sound all tough and epic, but she can't hold her smile I know she's shit.
>>
Just measure how for your he is
>>
>>71659219
It's subjective. That said, it's clear most of the time and you find a lot of people in agreement.
>>
>>71659252
>Basically how convincing he is at playing the character he's supposed to be.
That's osmething you can know in series like GoT because there have been lots of previous episodes nad also books. How do I judge this in a 90 minute film?
>>
>>71659282
Of course it's less obvious sometimes, but you should still have a pretty good idea of what a character is supposed to be about most of the time.
>>
File: 1467441899147.png (132 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
1467441899147.png
132 KB, 396x385
>>71659219
blood tests
>>
>>71659219
Believability !!!
>>
Acting is good if the actor convinces you he is this character, if they can draw you in and seem to blend into whatever it is. Showing and portraying emotions properly for the character. It's actually really difficult to pinpoint but you just tend to FEEL it.

Ralph Fiennes for example is a brilliant actor. I'm convinced he pull off every fucking thing thrown at him and he can go from serious to comedic to FUCKING LIVID in one smooth motion within 10 seconds it's amazing. Compare and contrast with this little brother Joseph. Mind you, he's a brilliant one too but he comes off as a bit too stoic often.
>>
File: guesswho01.jpg (39 KB, 820x745) Image search: [Google]
guesswho01.jpg
39 KB, 820x745
>>71659219
how well can they wear a wig and makeup?
>>
I'm an assistant for a casting director, she doesn't tell me much but what she's mostly looking for is the right look for the role, ability to deliver lines, understanding a characters motivations, it's a hard job, there's a reason why your favorite actors are all in demand.
>>
File: Harvey.jpg (60 KB, 621x357) Image search: [Google]
Harvey.jpg
60 KB, 621x357
>>71659219
Just measure how well they give head.
>>
>>71659361
Mark Margolis. I'm so fucking awesome.
>>
>>71659219
This is a fundamental flaw with tv series.

You see bad acting week after week and begin to associate with with intentional character traits. It's why film is so much less forgiving and generally demands better acting.

However if you want to see a great comparison, Seinfeld is THE perfect example.

Watch seasons 2-5 and just compare Jerry Seinfeld to jason Alexander. You can see Jerry about to laugh in scene were as with jason you are completely lost in the character that is George Costanza
>>
>>71659219
if their not jewish and there in a hollywood movie you know they are good
>>
charisma and cock size
>>
>>71659374
As an actor myself, I back this up. If anything, the right look comes before the actual skill.
>>
>>71659422
>As an actor myself
Prove it
>>
If his behaviour is awkward and looks practiced or if it is natural.
>>
>>71659219
It's about if the character is believable. Do I see the actor or do I see the character?
>>
>>71659282
Well could you tell the latest xman movie was terribly cast, even if some of the actors were decent? (And some awful like Olivia Mann).

Some times you can have a great actor, but they just aren't believable due to not being right for the part , like having a fat ugly short guy play ladies man.
>>
>>71659427
I don't want to because only a fool would out his identity on 4chan, much less /BaneCentral/

But I am (though only had few small parts anyway). You'll just have to take my word for it.
>>
>>71659375
dang Andrew WK looks like THAT
>>
there's no such thing as bad or good actors. it depend on director actually
>>
>>71659330
But HOW

>>71659352
But what's the context?

>>71659359
But what if the storyline is bad?

>>71659361
Isn't that dependant o n the makeup department?

>>71659435
That's every character in a teen movie, and I don't think they are all bad actors.

>>71659412
Then do you think a great storyline makes a great character or is it the other way around?

>>71659454
>like having a fat ugly short guy play ladies man.
What if that's the character?

>>71659452
So do you think that fame is an essential part of acting?
>>
>>71659468
Visit an acting class and you'll change your mind real fuckin' quick.
>>
>>71659468
But good actor can carry a film even if the director is a fucking idiot. But great director can get a great performance from a mediocre actor.
>>
>>71659455
Rate your own looks

Are you otter or fat? How tall? Let's hope you're white.
>>
>>71659422
If you're not ridiculously attractive people really struggle to find work, big guys rely on niche roles for everything.
>>
>>71659485
>What if the storyline is bad?
Storyline doesn't matter when it comes to the acting ability itself. Sure it makes the whole thing easier on the actor but ultimately it's up to them to read the character, create their representation of them in their minds and follow that creation through.
>>
>>71659485
>So do you think that fame is an essential part of acting?

"It's like, once you've seen Tom Hanks win the Golden Globes, the Oscars, you've seen his wife, what kind of car he drives, when you watch his movies, you can't fully get really lost in them."
>>
>>71659485
>what if that's the character
It's only the character if it's acknowledged and addressed.

Think about how a tiny girl beating up waves of muscly guys seems to piss people off, because it's almost never really establish how this girl can do that, the audience is forced to assume that's normal.

Going back to the short fat bald guy being a ladies man, it would be fine if it's established something else about him was what drew women in, or the oddness of it was for comedic effect. But if it was never addressed and played straight (ie people talking about how hot and handsome he was) it would be bad casting/writing/unbelievable for the audience.
>>
>>71659508
More or less otter, 5'8", Mediterranean. I only get parts that fit those roles. But see, that's what I'm talking about. My looks got me roles in shit like 13 Hours, my skill was secondary. As long as you fit the look of what they want and aren't terrible at your job, you have a good chance of finding work.

It may not be the work you want, but an actor having the privilege to choose is a luxury only afforded to SOME of the best. Even household names like Arnie got pigeonholed into military big guys, like >>71659510 says
>>
>>71659485
Obviously a better story and dialogue helps, but acting is what the actor does with that material.

For example, people rag on here about Heath winning the oscar for the joker, but actually watch his acting and you'll see why he's seen as a great actor. His version of the joker has so many unique little mannerisms and ways of saying lines he really brought and unique character to life, by comparison nickelson can be a great actor but his joker is just jack in a purple suit, you never forget it's him acting.

No one else could have done what Heath did, he created that joker, not the writing.
>>
>>71659510
That only really applies to girls.

Aside from soap operas for Guys it's quite different. It's more about having a distinct look and draws people in.
>>
Have you ever heard someone complain about the movie because of bad acting?
>>
>>71659575
>household names like Arnie got pigeonholed into military big guys

He's a terrible actor, so that's a bad example
>>
>>71659823
You can't really say that because he's an action star. All action stars would look weird doing something not badass. Can you see Stallone or Statham teaching ballet in a serious movie? No, because they fit the niche of action star to a T, they have that look and feel to them.

Even if they were brilliant actors, that's what they will get because that's where they perform best and what the audience can believe, meaning a successful movie and more money.
>>
>>71659889
Not really. You gave an extreme example, but a good actor could handle other roles and be believable. Statham for example had 'normal' roles and he was pretty believable (watch Lock Stock and Snatch), and he's not even good.
Arnie is horrible and even his action roles are bad if you watch closely (Commando would be my go to example, but some people will disagree). His only good role is terminator, because he's that wooden that he's only convincing playing a robot.
>>
>>71660125
I don't class those as normal roles. At best he's played tough guys in crime movies, just because he ain't the lead doesn't make his role normal. They play meatheads!

I'll give you the arnie bit though. Maybe my original argument was flawed by mentioning him, but the truth stands that looks trump skill, even if its only by a little bit.
>>
>>71660248
He probably just played himself, but he wasn't really a 'tough guy' in both these movies. And well, he was pretty much the lead.

And I don't really disagree with you, I just think your example was bad, that's all.
You could probably find someone who can deliver believable action role and still be convincing in a dramatic one, but I'm too lazy to think about it right now. Well, Tom Hardy comes to mind.
>>
>>71660491
Actually yes, Tom Hardy would be good, you're right. He's a big guy but he has a bit of a babyface thing going on so I bet he can play a romantic well too.
>>
>>71659889
>All action stars would look weird doing something not badass.
Liam Neeson, Kurt Russell, Tommy Lee Jones, Willem Dafoe, Dennis Hopper - all had multiple acclaimed roles in action films while also playing non-action characters. They all aren't shit actors though.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.