[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Masterpiece or fedoracore?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: Boyhood-review.jpg (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Boyhood-review.jpg
1 MB, 1366x768
Masterpiece or fedoracore?
>>
its too slice of life to be fedoracore
>>
I never heard a fucking thing about the story or performances, it was only about how long it took to make
>>
I heard they based another movie off of the actor they forced into this role
what was it called?
>>
Neither, it's a pretty good unique film
>>71648697
Kill yourself you meming fuck
>>
>>71648660
it took 12 years to make [spoilerand it's complete fucking shit][/spoiler]
>>
>>71648697
This

If it wasn't for that whole gimmick and 'muh linklater' then this movie would be recognized for the pretentious garbage it is.

>>71648707
15 years a slave
>>
one of the best films of 2014
>>
>>71648744
It's not a gimmick. It genuinely effects how the movie is perceived by the audience. It literally affects the basic core of the movie and is not just a flashy add-on
>>
>>71648744
it's just a slice of life movie, nothing pretentious about it at all.
>>
>>71648715
>says it's people meme
>doesnt say anything defending the content of the film and why it's good
>>
Did anyone else hear the rumor that they were making a sequel?
>>
File: HCwuYdxh.jpg (114 KB, 897x960) Image search: [Google]
HCwuYdxh.jpg
114 KB, 897x960
What are the criteria for fedoracore?
>>
>>71648815
Yes, except it's garbage.
This isn't one of your anime series that's tolerable, this is a real movie.
Want a good slice of life film, try what maisie knew
>>
>>71649060
popularity and good reviews.
>>
>>71649138
Boyhood is great if you're not a pleb.
>>
>>71649060
>"Fedora-core" refers to films that are popular among adolescent teens to young males who perceive themselves to be on the fringes of society. The films that are usually mentioned, such as Fight Club, The Boondock Saints, or The Dark Knight, appeal to that sensibility, although the films vary in content, quality, and popularity among all groups. What unites them however, is a common theme of alienation and chaotic/glorified/ violence. Simply put, you could say that they are united by their nihilism (think the main character from notes from the underground). Characters like the Joker, Tyler Durden, Donnie Darko, Patrick Bateman and even Travis Bickle are relatable or ideal characters in the minds of these people.
Examples: Drive, Kick-Ass, Dark Knight, Taxi Driver

>The second type is pseudo-intellectual and pretentious bullshit that pretends it's much more complicated than it actually is. These movies are designed to be actually really fucking simple, but still just complicated enough (or have a complicated enough twist) to make plebs feel clever when they watch it.
Examples: There Will Be Blood, Fight Club, Idiocracy, Cabin In The Wood, Matrix

>The third type is high-budget modern schlock. Stuff that's 'cool', 'awesome' or 'manly' on the most superficial and juvenile level. Shit that falls under the same category as "SHARKS WITH LAZERS!" or "MUSTACHED JETPACK FIGHTS!". These movies tend to be gory or comedic or bloated, or all three.
Examples: Guardians of the Galaxy, Big Trouble in Little China, 300, Pacific Rim
>>
>>71649366
what a bunch of horseshit.
>>
>>71648697

THIS
>>
I never understood why it was pushed so hard that it took 12 years to make or why it's something to make such a big deal about. There are other shows and movies that implemented this concept in far better ways. There is that documentary that has been following those kids for their entire lives. The Harry Potter movies did it too, allowing for new challenges, perspectives, and attitudes to naturally come through as they grew up. I felt that in Boyhood this wasn't the case and as a result of pushing the envelope so hard toward a realism that emerged from temporality, it felt even less honesty and more constructed. The illusion, which there was none meant to be held yet one has to wonder what is the point of the 12 year filming, was twisted to make you think and feel a certain way that the film never lived up to.
>>
>>71648660

the only good thing about the movie was seeing the step-sister get thicker.
>>
>>71649165
Top 10 of 2014?
>>
>>71649681
Definitely within the top 2014 of 2014
>>
people keep saying how impressed they are that
>it took 12 years to make!!
most movies are filmed over a couple months. now imagine how much less work it takes when you spread the shooting over more than a decade.

and Linklater wasn't even focused on making a masterpiece for more than a decade: while he was waiting for that dumb kid to grow up he made eight other movies. it's like a really long-running side-project where the stakes are so low you can afford to ignore it. big fucking deal.
>>71648697
you got it - there is no story, and the main character isn't a protagonist - things just happen around him, and he doesn't have the power to do anything about them because HE'S A FUCKING CHILD!

Patricia Arquette was one of the few good things about that movie, and Ethan Hawke wasn't bad. but centering a 3-hour movie on a kid whose personality isn't developed yet is a terrible mistake, unless you make that the story (Spirit of the Beehive)

I'm starting to wonder if the pleasure of "watching a child grow up right before your eyes!" is only accessible to viewers who are already parents. I think kids watching this movie would just get bored out of their skulls.
>>
The kid is boring as fuck and looks like a crackhead by the end of the film.
>>
>>71648697
The movie literally won an Oscar for Supporting Actress because Patricia Arquette was great in this. But you're just memeing, so why did I even bother responding?
>>
>>71648660
It's a nice slice of life movie about growing up.
>>
>>71650639
>crackhead
nigga you spend too much time in front of your computer, that guy is a normal dude who eventually smokes a joint

most young people smoke weed, you turbonerd
>>
>>71650686
This. It particularly resonated with me because, though I was about 6-7 years older than the kid in the movie, I was doing all the same things he did growing up (Halo, Harry Potter, etc...) and even in the same general area in Texas where he grew up.

It resembled by "boyhood" (get it?!) almost to a T.
>>
>>71648660
neither masterpiece nor fedoracore

if you like other richard linklater films, you'll enjoy this. he's a consistently good director. it's too bad this movie got memed to hell. linklater films aren't meant to be hollywood hyped.
>>
Patricia Arquettes breakdown at the end is one of the finest pieces of acting in the past 30 years.
>>
File: bc.jpg (44 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
bc.jpg
44 KB, 612x380
>>71648660
Come on, it took 12 years to make!
>>
File: 596px-Check_The_Current_Year.png (537 KB, 596x600) Image search: [Google]
596px-Check_The_Current_Year.png
537 KB, 596x600
>>71650886
kek
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.